Has anyone heard of Pfizer's Chantix

Posted in the Healthcare Law Forum

First Prev
of 3516
Next Last

“Results, one vote at a time!”

Since: Dec 06

Oklahoma City, OK

#1 Dec 17, 2006
Trying to get more information on this anti-smoking drug. Pfizer's website is a bit sparse on the subject.

Thanks!

Judged:

23

20

18

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Cindy

United States

#2 Dec 30, 2006
I started on Chantix 15 days ago. You generally start at a low dose, then hit the full dose at 7 days, smoking until day 7. Most common side effect is supposed to be nausea, but I have taken it immediately after eating, and have had no nausea or any other problems.

Anyway, my last smoke was eight days ago. The amazing thing was, that little "Pleasure" you get from taking a drag...nothing. Apparently, Chantix fills up the nicotine receptors in your brain, which is what normally gives you that "good" feeling from smoking. Anyway, since I got no reward from it, I haven't had the craving and haven't smoked. I am rather surprised at how much of a non-nicotine habit I have. I mean, I find myself craving the actions of lighting up, etc...

I am really hopeful about this drug. 10 more weeks to go. I have tried EVERYTHING else, patch, inhaler, gum, Zyban (allergic to that one), cold turkey. Smoker 17 years.
Terri

Fort Smith, AR

#3 Jan 6, 2007
I took my first pill this morning. I've tried everything else, too - unsuccessfully. Hearing that it takes away the pleasure gives me great hope. I chose my quit date 11 days out - January 17th. I've been smoking for 31 years and figured I might need a couple extra days on the stuff as an added boost.

Thanx for the positive post, Cindy.

“Results, one vote at a time!”

Since: Dec 06

Oklahoma City, OK

#4 Jan 7, 2007
Thanks Cindy and Terri for your posts. Keep us updated. How much does Chantix cost?
Royce

Waldorf, MD

#5 Jan 11, 2007
Okie Lobbyist wrote:
Trying to get more information on this anti-smoking drug. Pfizer's website is a bit sparse on the subject.
Thanks!
I started Chantix 6 days ago and have been keeping a log of my experience. It really wasn't quite what I expected, though I can't really say what I did expect.
I am still smoking and plan on quitting over the weekend and we'll see how it goes. The best way I can explain it is that Chantix attacks the nicotine addiction. The hardcore cravings are gone and the foggy/anxious feelings I got when I quit cold turkey in the past. This seems to be more of a 'devide and conquer' method rather than a full frontal assault. It splits off the nicotine addiction, so you can focus on changing the habits without having to fight the withdraws at the same time.

At this point, I am very optomistic about the Chantix method. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck :-)
ajtih

United States

#6 Jan 12, 2007
Can any one tell how much this costs, I mean the whole program. Also you if you think you got over the habit can you quit the program too..???
scny

New York, NY

#7 Jan 12, 2007
I set a quit date for January 1st and began taking chantix 5 days prior. I found the first few days to be a little difficult to completely abstain from smoking, but I was able to significantly decrease the number of cigarettes I was smoking (I had been a 10 year smoker up to just under 2 packs per day). I smoked 2 additional packs of cigarettes over the next FOUR days, I found with each one, I liked it less and less. I actually began to find it repulsive and nauseating to smoke myself or even smell it on friends. I have now been smoke free for 9 days, and, while I sometimes have a slight urge, I find it pretty easy to handle. I would urge anyone who has tried quitting and failed to give chantix a try, it has not only made quitting possible, but has made it fairly easy in comparison to the torture it was to stop for just one day in the past.
As far as side effects, I was extremely sleepy and tired for the first week of minimal to no smoking (the week after my quit date), but more than likely that was due to nicotine withdrawal. I also noticed I was nauseaous at times, and it was definately worse when I was exposed to second hand smoke.
Hope this helps anyone struggling with quitting and good luck to all!
Brian

AOL

#8 Jan 15, 2007
I was a 30 year 1 1/2 pack a day smoker. It has been a Month since I have had a cigarette. I am a little queezy right after taking the pill, but it passes quickly. Any cravings pass so quickly (seconds). It really does give you a window to break the habit. Any physical withdraw from nicotine leaves your body within 4 weeks. After that, its just not falling for the mental desire.
Cindy

United States

#9 Jan 15, 2007
Okie Lobbyist wrote:
Thanks Cindy and Terri for your posts. Keep us updated. How much does Chantix cost?
With my insurance, cost is $43 a month, and you typically stay on Chantix 3 months. My pharmacist told me that you would need to add slightly less than $100 to the above cost if you had no insurance.

Still not smoking. Three weeks since I quit.
Max

Utica, MI

#10 Jan 16, 2007
I was a cynic. I'm almost one month without smoking. My doctor is 12 for 12 with patients who have quit one month or more. It's amazing that my friends are hesitant to try it for whatever reason or are waiting for me to fail. I was a pack a day smoker for 28 years. This is my first attempt at quitting. Thank you Pfizer!
Tom

Southfield, MI

#11 Jan 20, 2007
It really helps you get over the hump. I quit 12/25/06. I still get minor urges once or twice a day but they only last a few seconds. I would highly recommend Chantix to someone who really wants to quit.The urges will end in a couple of months and after that its up to me to not pick one up again.
SCOTT

Waynesboro, VA

#12 Jan 20, 2007
I have prescribed Chantix to many patients who have tried everything else. It seems to be head and shoulders above the alternatives. I have had quite a number of patients quit. The biggest obstacle is getting people to pay for it if their insurance doesn't help. Many would rather pay $3 daily for a pack of cigarettes than $100 for a months worth of Chantix. It doesn't work unless the patient really wants to quit. More than one patient said to me that they thought their cigarette tasted stale when they were on Chantix.

If you smoke, try it. Many will have success. So far I have had only an occasional patient complain of nausea. That's not a bad side effect when many people complain of weight gain after they quit. The chantix seems to keep the weight off.
Crystal

United States

#13 Jan 21, 2007
I have been smoking about 1 - 1 1/2 packs for 16 years now and today now I am past day 4 of chantix. Its now 1:30 am. I am normally in bed by 10:00 pm. Still smoking right now, as a matter of fact more so than usual since I cant sleep. Also seems my blood pressure is up. What's funny, is went through a period of withdrawl this morning. Very sensitive and angry etc. Wish me luck guys. Hope this stuff will work.

Oh, I have no insurance and I picked up my fist month's pills for $103. at WinnDixie Pharmacy. Dont know how much the next 2 months will be since I am not there yet

Good luck to you all
Crystal

United States

#14 Jan 21, 2007
Okie Lobbyist wrote:
Thanks Cindy and Terri for your posts. Keep us updated. How much does Chantix cost?
OKIE

Sounds like you are Oklahoma. I was living in Stillwater last month. Just moved. It was a really nice town. But down to business. I found Chantix for $103.00 at WinnDixie Pharmacy in Louisiana. Hope this helps

“Results, one vote at a time!”

Since: Dec 06

Oklahoma City, OK

#15 Jan 22, 2007
Crystal wrote:
<quoted text>
OKIE
Sounds like you are Oklahoma. I was living in Stillwater last month. Just moved. It was a really nice town. But down to business. I found Chantix for $103.00 at WinnDixie Pharmacy in Louisiana. Hope this helps
Crystal,

Why anyone would ever leave the Great State of Oklahoma is beyond me. But, if you're going to leave Louisiana is damn fine alternative.

Best of luck with quitting!! I'll be starting my withdrawal on 1 Feb. Keep your fingers crossed.
Connie

United States

#16 Jan 24, 2007
scny wrote:
I set a quit date for January 1st and began taking chantix 5 days prior. I found the first few days to be a little difficult to completely abstain from smoking, but I was able to significantly decrease the number of cigarettes I was smoking (I had been a 10 year smoker up to just under 2 packs per day). I smoked 2 additional packs of cigarettes over the next FOUR days, I found with each one, I liked it less and less. I actually began to find it repulsive and nauseating to smoke myself or even smell it on friends. I have now been smoke free for 9 days, and, while I sometimes have a slight urge, I find it pretty easy to handle. I would urge anyone who has tried quitting and failed to give chantix a try, it has not only made quitting possible, but has made it fairly easy in comparison to the torture it was to stop for just one day in the past.
As far as side effects, I was extremely sleepy and tired for the first week of minimal to no smoking (the week after my quit date), but more than likely that was due to nicotine withdrawal. I also noticed I was nauseaous at times, and it was definately worse when I was exposed to second hand smoke.
Hope this helps anyone struggling with quitting and good luck to all!
I have been on Chantix for 3 weeks, and have been successful in not smoking. I was a 2-3 pack a day smoker. The one thing they don't address though, is the nicotine withdrawal. Nicotine is a stimulant. Instead of weaning you off, it's just cold turkey. I have been sleeping more and more also, and tired all the time. I think the idea of Chantix is good, but they should have coupled it with something for the nicotine withdrawal. Would like to hear if anyone else had this happen with Chantix?
Connie

United States

#17 Jan 24, 2007
have been on Chantix for 3 weeks, and have been successful in not smoking. I was a 2-3 pack a day smoker. The one thing they don't address though, is the nicotine withdrawal. Nicotine is a stimulant. Instead of weaning you off, it's just cold turkey. I have been sleeping more and more also, and tired all the time. I think the idea of Chantix is good, but they should have coupled it with something for the nicotine withdrawal. Would like to hear if anyone else had this happen with Chantix?
Casey

Austin, TX

#18 Jan 24, 2007
I was reading this column to see if anyone was extremely tired after quitting. Its been two days now with no smoking and I am very tired. I tapered off so my last pack lasted 4-5 days. Smoked the last one before I went into a bar to play trivia (I know, not smart) and haven't had one since.

Its good to hear that the tiredness went away for some folks.
Connie

United States

#19 Jan 24, 2007
Casey wrote:
I was reading this column to see if anyone was extremely tired after quitting. Its been two days now with no smoking and I am very tired. I tapered off so my last pack lasted 4-5 days. Smoked the last one before I went into a bar to play trivia (I know, not smart) and haven't had one since.
Its good to hear that the tiredness went away for some folks.
I have heard a lot of other people complain of being so tired. Nicotine is a stimulant, so without it you lose the stimulation. I wish Chantix would have addressed that issue also. I think it also lowers your immune system. I am taking No-Doze during the day just to stay awake. Anybody else having the same problems?
Connie

United States

#20 Jan 24, 2007
I have heard a lot of other people complain of being so tired. Nicotine is a stimulant, so without it you lose the stimulation. I wish Chantix would have addressed that issue also. I think it also lowers your immune system. I am taking No-Doze during the day just to stay awake. Anybody else having the same problems?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3516
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Healthcare Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Money talks: Obamacare initiative makes headway... 3 hr Le Jimbo 63
Rauner would have have blocked Medicaid, leavin... 3 hr Dave 1
Retreat is 14th largest mental health provider ... 4 hr Community Disorga... 10
Obama administration to unveil doctor payments ... 19 hr RustyS 1
The Emerging Liberal Oligarchy (Feb '09) Sun Swedenforever 62
chantix - problems after quitting or weaning (Jun '07) Sep 27 sally 6,476
Rebuttal witnesses refute Marsh defense expert Sep 26 An angry victim 1

Healthcare Law People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE