Williamsville Nursing Home Named One ...

Williamsville Nursing Home Named One of Worst in Country

There are 156 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Feb 22, 2008, titled Williamsville Nursing Home Named One of Worst in Country. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

A Williamsville nursing home has been named one of the worst in the country by the federal government.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Linda

Windham, ME

#142 Feb 27, 2008
Camille wrote:
I too must say at our facility we also do very well in our inspections.(Which by the way,we are not notified ahead of time when they will take place).Our building is very clean, odor free, our housekeeping staff works very hard to maintain that.We love our residents and treat them like our own family. We laugh with them,listen to their stories,and even cry with them.We all have a good report with families coming in and out of our building.We give our residents great care and respect. We pride ourselves on our customer service. I can attest to the fact that we have some young adults that work in our building and they are so respectful and caring it is "awe inspiring" a quality that should not go unmentioned! And yes, post #41- they started at minimum wage and they are far from being low-life pond scum as I quote you. Shame on you! In our facility we are Family--residents, staff, and owners. We treat everyone with respect and love. It's about time some of the good is read and posted on this.
Camille: I am with you 100%. I too work for the same facility as you. As a matter of fact I am the first floor housekeeper. I can attest to the fact that we treat our residents as family. What I would have given to know of this facility in 2002 when my mother spent the last 3 months of her life in a facility in downtown Buffalo. I could cry every time I think of finding her on what was my almost daily visits, laying in a depend, no clothing, covered by just a sheet. Or worse yet, yes, finding her lined up in front of the nurses station along with as many as 20 other elderly strapped in wheelchairs so as they would not fall out the chair while not being watched properly! Our residents are treated with dignity and respect. We take the time to bond not only with them but also with their family members. As a resident housekeeper, I know who likes 2 pillows instead of one, who likes 2 blankets as opposed to one, who needs 2 wash clothes instead of one, who needs to get out of bed on the right side instead of the left due to paralysis from stroke, who requires soft mashed food as opposed to regular food due to stroke, who likes chocolate instead of carrots, who needs depends as night time to avoid humiliating accidents in bed during the night. I could go on and on.
It is our mission to provide the finest nursing and daily personal care in a clean, comfortable, friendly and professional surrounding. Our core values are care, respect, ethics, service and teamwork. Our goal is to be considered the finest in our health care field in both outcome and service - by our professional peers and the community. It is our sincere hope that the high standards to which we hold ourselves and the positive working environment we create will improve the quality of service for our clients and will have a positive effect on the lives of those touched by our company.
And we do.
nursey

Buffalo, NY

#143 Feb 27, 2008
I think we need to look at the big picture here. We are crucifying a man for the car he drives and the amount of profit he made-Hello he is like any other business man. So what he lives in a mansion. Would you say that to a Buffalo Bills player who's going somewhere else to make a few million more dollars when the already make Millions and Millions. Do you talk about the car he drives or the house he lives in. Do you think the other nursing home owners don't drive nice cars or live in nice houses? The reason you don't have a choice to go anywhere is the other homes really only take private pay residents with only a few beds for those on medicare. Maybe the home in question has had problems- problems that you don't see in the other 2 homes owned by Legacy Healthcare. What about the politicians that have developed a system that forces the elderly to decide what pills they will be able to pay for this month because they can't afford all of them. Or insurance plans that tell a facility that we won't pay for that residents antibiotic so you eat the cost- and the facility has no chioce because it's for the resident benefit. Being in the health care system I have seen residents whose children never come visit except for maybe a holiday no and then. It's the so called inept incompetant staff that hold their hand, gives them a hug. Gives them love when they have no one. So lets think about ways to fix the situation. An for those who talk about a law suit-all you want is money- If you feel that your loved one is not being treated properly call the DOH and they will investigate it that's the way to fix a problem not to line the ambulance chasing lawyers pockets. All that is about is greed.
Brandy

Buffalo, NY

#144 Feb 28, 2008
To everyone at SHERIDAN WHO ARE RUNNING around trying to see if I wrote any of these. This is the one I wrote.. Even though I must say some were pretty good. I first of all like how you compared a Buffalo Bills player to Rick.. HMMM bad visual ..But to be serious how does that compare...Are the Bills players the ones who have elderly people in their hands. Come on now...I would like to say I do feel angry ..I work my butt off( while some people just sat on theirs except on pizza day) and took pride in everything I did when I worked at Sheridan it was my life and then I was punished and moved to hell ( Suburban) because I had a voice and spoke up for my staff( I love u Kathy ,DJ,Lori N,Ang, Annette, Marlo, Rae Rae, Morreen (hack hack) Therapy,etc)and my residents. I cant say anything bad about most of the people I worked with at Sheridan because they did the best they could and are excellent caretakers.. I tried to help out at Suburban but no one would listen,(except a small few Marie and Steve) I was a trouble maker and how dare I say anything because I was an LPN ( that wasnt from Rick that was his clueless upper management). But you know what I was an LPN who cared and knew what the hell I was doing and if I didnt I want to find out how to help, and I will never settle for less or shut up when providing care to people. All I can say is I hope that Mr Zacher will get it together. I dont wish bad on anyone and esp the hardworkers who could lose their jobs. I just wish he would take a look at those people who are sitting in those w/c and the ones who are sweating their ass off taking care of them and finally appreciate them. I wish he would listen to the coworkers who do care, because they have alot of good things to say. They are the people who will help you succeed at this business.
Its about time

Webster, NY

#145 Feb 28, 2008
All I'm going to say is that you don't get included in a list of the worst nursing homes in the COUNTRY without reason. You don't get singled out by the Berger Commission for CLOSER without reason. You don't get cited by the department of health for three years in a row for IMMEDIATE JEOPARDY without reason. Either you fix your problems, or you STOP DOING BUSINESS. Whining about how the government is screwing you does not improve the quality of care in this facility or the quality of life of it's residents. Focus on the right things or get out of the business.
In that bed

Buffalo, NY

#146 Feb 28, 2008
I am writing this as a very active 62 year old women who happened to have an unfortunate accident at work, and needed a total knee replacement. I received rehabilitation at Legacy health care. I was not a bit thrilled with going for rehab because I am a very independent person who is used to fending for myself. Upon arrival,I was welcomed by every member of the staff from the administrator to the maintenance man. I felt very welcome. The therapy staff was second to none, and with hard work from all parties, I had a remarkable recovery. The Tonawanda facility was clean and very well kept.The staff seemed to respond to all residents as if they were family. I witnessed several hugs and acts of kindness even during some very trying times for the staff. My husband also received therapy at Sheridan Manor and experienced the same wonderful care as I did. In fact, He had a very hard time leaving the staff.So to all of you Zacher bashers, try being "in that bed" I personally would return.
Nightmare69

AOL

#147 Feb 29, 2008
KJW wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you do not work in the healthcare field, because we are absolutely not told when the state is going to do survey. In all honesty, we can try to estimate roughly when they will be here based on when they were here previously, but this is not a fool-proof method. There is a few month window in either direction of when they may show up. In addition, the yearly state inspection is not the only inspection we go through during the year, and we consistently do well on all.
I have worked in the health care industry as a Nurse in the mid 80's into the early 90's and it used to be we were told when the survey were going to be done at least with in a 2-3 week time frame...I'm sure its nnot to hard to figure it out presently
znurse

Buffalo, NY

#148 Feb 29, 2008
Nightmare69 wrote:
<quoted text>I have worked in the health care industry as a Nurse in the mid 80's into the early 90's and it used to be we were told when the survey were going to be done at least with in a 2-3 week time frame...I'm sure its nnot to hard to figure it out presently
Well this is not the mid 80's early 90's. I'm a nurse today and we have a general idea when they can come but we don't know and by no means is it a 2-3 week time frame. In fact when i first start at my current position we had survey the week after Thanksgiving the next year it was in August then a few weeks before christmas and our last was october. The time frame is 2 months in either direction. So welcome to the 2000's. So you really never know. Things were different then. No you can't even have a bed with siderails unless you've documented up the butt the neccesity of it.
Holly

Buffalo, NY

#149 Mar 2, 2008
To everyone that knows everything. I am so glad you can all sit there and judge.I am sure 90% of you never worked in a nursing home.I have worked for Rick for 12yrs and I can say he NOT the monster you make him out to be.If it wasn't for him,my children and I would be homeless.He always was there to listen to my problems, and help me,and he never made me feel like I was dirt.And for the idiot how said we get an advance warning,you have no clue.Hello they come every year!! I do my best at my job, because he treats me great. Maybe you should get to know him.
Its about time

Webster, NY

#150 Mar 2, 2008
Holly wrote:
To everyone that knows everything. I am so glad you can all sit there and judge.I am sure 90% of you never worked in a nursing home.I have worked for Rick for 12yrs and I can say he NOT the monster you make him out to be.If it wasn't for him,my children and I would be homeless.He always was there to listen to my problems, and help me,and he never made me feel like I was dirt.And for the idiot how said we get an advance warning,you have no clue.Hello they come every year!! I do my best at my job, because he treats me great. Maybe you should get to know him.
You're missing the point. It's not about how he treats his employees, it's about how the residents are treated. The only reason you have a job is because of the residents who pay for care in your facility, so the only opinion that counts is the opinion of residents, former residents and their families.
Donna

Buffalo, NY

#151 Mar 2, 2008
This, Ladies and Gentlemen, is your NYS Medicaid dollars at work! The residents get neglected, the nurses and the aides work for peanuts and the owner gets RICH!!
Ann Onamous

Buffalo, NY

#152 Apr 9, 2012
Its about time wrote:
<quoted text>
You're missing the point. It's not about how he treats his employees, it's about how the residents are treated. The only reason you have a job is because of the residents who pay for care in your facility, so the only opinion that counts is the opinion of residents, former residents and their families.
A lot of things have changed from Mar 08. The 2 Zacher daughters now run 4 of the homes now and have subcontracted this rent a housekeeper, laundry company called FELDER SERVICES,who is sticking it to the workers. Too bad the union was scared away a few years ago.

Since: Mar 08

Buffalo, NY

#153 Apr 9, 2012
Subcontracting works in some cases, especially if you have a number of locations. The other thing you can do if you have all those locations is redefine your process in order to do the same amount work more efficiently. I bet they never even asked the people who do the work how to do that, did they?
Ann Onamous

Buffalo, NY

#154 Apr 9, 2012
When Felder started, they had the present laundry workers who were still working for Zacher and the housekeepers who were working for a different sub contractor, sign on with them. A couple of higher seniority workers who were getting a higher rate of pay were cut back to part time using the excuse that they weren't working fast enough.They lost a couple of employees and never replaced them expecting the remaining employees to get the same amount of work done. They never passed out the W2 forms untill mid February after a lot of people already sent their forms in.No excuse or apology from those pompous asses.
Kilhoffer Street Rules

Buffalo, NY

#155 Apr 10, 2012
The state is over here doing their inspection and the Felder boys are having nervous coniptions.
LMAO HAHAHA, What a joke.
chet booswahnicki

Buffalo, NY

#156 Apr 12, 2012
Kilhoffer Street Rules wrote:
The state is over here doing their inspection and the Felder boys are having nervous coniptions.
LMAO HAHAHA, What a joke.
Was the state sniffing the residents toilet seats?
Kilhoffer Street Rules

Buffalo, NY

#157 Apr 13, 2012
This is their last day and the Felder bunch is being extra friendly to the employees, to impress the state. No sniffing toilet seats, that I know of.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Healthcare Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: White House freezes new regulations 3 min Lawrence Wolf 112
Pancreatitis and chantix (Oct '08) 1 hr Darian 44
News Minnesota Gov. Dayton collapses while deliverin... 2 hr Le Jimbo 2
News Donald Trump may have just destroyed the Republ... 3 hr Le Jimbo 68
News Anti-Trump protesters set to flood Washington 15 hr Luz Morales 65
News Republican-led Senate takes first step to repea... 19 hr Battle Tested 194
News Mars investigating Skittles said to be intended... Jan 21 Spotted Girl 6
More from around the web