Williamsville Nursing Home Named One ...

Williamsville Nursing Home Named One of Worst in Country

There are 156 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Feb 22, 2008, titled Williamsville Nursing Home Named One of Worst in Country. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

A Williamsville nursing home has been named one of the worst in the country by the federal government.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Linda

United States

#62 Feb 24, 2008
My mother is in this nursing home but where else does a person put a loved one who doesn't have any money. She was in assisted living but now has an endtube and can't go back to assisted living. I've gone to visit her and have given her showers myself when she was suppose to be getting two a week and now that schedule has changed and it's only 1 shower a week. If you think the place smelled of uine before what about now.....
Linda

United States

#63 Feb 24, 2008
angry wrote:
fro all the people who rightfully complain about thos terribele facilities, go and report them, every time, don't just sit there and complain
and shame on you for putting your family members in there, is there nobody who can take care of your loved ones at home ????????
I recently talked to someone who paid 6000 a month to have their mother in a nursing home and those people want to tell me they could not have found some good nurse to work for that kind of money ? I don't know any nurses who make 6000 a month, so this is just a nother excuse of someone who just does not want to bother with their elderly
All those nursing homes should have more strictly enforced inspections, I worked in one in Lewiston years ago and believe me I would rather be dead than beeing at the mercy of those careless idiots
My mother is in there. She has an endtube and needs assistant with that. I'm one of 8 children and if indeed one of us could take care of her, do you think a nursing home would be the first place we would put our parent?
Linda

United States

#64 Feb 24, 2008
Rachel wrote:
The folks who have family in this home should file a class action lawsuit for neglect.The family members did not get the love and care they were promised.
Do you know of someone to get a class action lawsuit started?
Pat R

Buffalo, NY

#65 Feb 24, 2008
I worked at this home in the early 2000's. My staff was great, my clients were well cared for and I DID recommend this home to my family and friends. While there the administration was willing, eager and helpful to staff, family, and clients as well. Then, I found the place to be a great place to work and well cared for clients. I was sad when I read the article and the postings after it.
Its about time

Webster, NY

#66 Feb 24, 2008
I worked there in the early 2000's as well. When Rick Zacher took over, it went to hell. He knows NOTHING about running a quality facility. He only cares about image and money. If you want to put pressure on and help the residents, call your legislators and tell them to enforce the Berger Commission recommendations, close this facility and all Zacher homes. There are good facilities in WNY and these are not worthy of caring for our frail elders. If you have a loved one in the facility, call the Department of Health hotline and report them. They must be stopped before they hurt more innocent people. Take pictures, use cameras, show the evidence to the Department of Health and the Attorney General. Do the right thing!
DS Williamsville

Buffalo, NY

#67 Feb 25, 2008
Last year my family had a relative who stayed in this nursing home for rehabilitation. She was only in their care for a short period of time, and while there she had fallen two times. She was unable to walk without assistance, and consequently she broke her hip. She left the nursing home and went back to the hospital never to leave again. She was neglected and this nursing home should close. Some of the staff were very rude and were not following her care plan. Unfortunately, a little too late for us now.
DS Williamsville

Buffalo, NY

#68 Feb 25, 2008
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
My mother is in there. She has an endtube and needs assistant with that. I'm one of 8 children and if indeed one of us could take care of her, do you think a nursing home would be the first place we would put our parent?
I know it is difficult. My aunt was forced to go to that nursing home because it was the only one who had a bed available. My poor uncle called everywhere and sat on waiting lists. My aunt couldn't stay in the hospital any longer because of insurance wouldn't pay for it. It was terrible.
Debi cheektowaga

Rochester, NY

#69 Feb 25, 2008
I was a CNA back from 1979-1990 and worked in alot of Skilled Nursing Facilities. In My experience, You have Good CNA's and you have really bad CNA's that are there just for their pay.
The reason I got out of that profession is that for the amount of work that is pushed upon you, there is no way in he** that you can do a proper job.With a list of 8 patients a day, a bath or shower, toileting Q2H (every two hours) and meals, something had to be cut short. I left more then one day with quilty feelings because "I couldn't
get the crud out of Helens nails and clip them." or whatever. I mentally could not handle not being able to complete my Job, Especially when you get attached to these elderly People.
I moved in with my Mother when she was diagnosed with Lung Cancer. She regretted being a burden, but I did have the choice of taking care of her. I laid her to rest and got on with my life. Its very hard to rearrange your life, but I found peace for giving her the care she needed. For some people it is impossible to do this.
I agree..give the dept. of health an unexpected call!!
Felix

Buffalo, NY

#70 Feb 25, 2008
My mother was in that nursing home, well the rehab area, it was old and dirty, the staff was awful, My mom's dirty clothes were thrown on the floor once when I came in. She suffered so much, had an ongoing infection, her coverage for rehab ran out, they had independent health and I was taken into the hallway and told my mother could no longer stay there as sick as she was. As it turned out she had to go back to the hospital she was so sick. The Health care system in this country and how it treats its' elderly is criminal. It took me so long to get her approved for Medicaid no nursing home would take her, I was forced to take her to Waterfront, which is the worse, most of the staff would not Speak English in my mothers presence, they made fun of her, I could go on and on but finally she ended up back in the hospital told my Dad she would rather die than go back to waterfront, which is what she did 4 days later. I have to live with this.
AMM

Erving, MA

#71 Feb 25, 2008
My mother had been in that home and we had very mixed feelings about it. Things happened there that we were not at all happy about. However, there were many staff members that that we were happy with and whom were friendly and caring.
It is my understanding that this facility is in Chapter 11 (or maybe 13? I'm not sure) and was slated for closure anyway. Isn't that maybe part of the issue?
Felix

Buffalo, NY

#72 Feb 25, 2008
Well, yes you could complain and boy did I complain, only to have the nurses, aids take it out on my mother. After my Mom died my father was very sick and in and out of Millard Fillmore Suburban, Once when I complained to a head nurse on the phone, she said "Oh yes, I remember your name....like a threat. Once when I knew my mother was just too sick to leave the hospital I was told that I would have to pay out of my own pocket each day my mother stayed beyond the discharge date. When you are under so much pressure and worn out from tyring to take care of an elderly parent it is so hard to make decisions and they take advantage to that.

Often when I complained nothing was done. Insurance will on cover so many days in rehab, so many days in a nursing home and they kick you out. No coverage for assisted living which at the cheapest is $3,000 per month. There is a long waiting list to get into the better nursing homes and of course they take the people who have the money.
Nursing Home Worker

Rochester, NY

#73 Feb 25, 2008
It is ridiculous to say that ALL nursing homes stink. Like anything else in life there is good and bad and there are many nursing homes that do a great job taking care of the elderly that families can no longer handle. If you think it's easy taking care of elderly sometinmes incontinent, difficult, sometmes confused individuals, think again. We're an industry that is reimbursed by the govt.little in comparison to our costs. My question is if you have so many bad things to say about this home - why don't you move you're loved one? You're part of the problem, better yet take your loved one into your own home to care for them
Felix

Buffalo, NY

#74 Feb 25, 2008
Just thinking, I don't care what the NA are paid, you don't treat another human being that way. there is something inherently wrong with the mentality of someone who because they are not getting paid enough to abuse, neglect a patient. I worked jobs when I was younger that paid next to nothing but I always did the best I could.
As long as health care is a profit driven nothing will change.
My opinion

Hinsdale, NY

#75 Feb 25, 2008
After reading all of the above comments, I feel the need to add my feelings. My mom is on the second floor of the rehab wing. This is the second nursing home/rehab center she was taken to in the past few months, after being in and out, back and forth to the hospital. You really don't have a choice as to where you go, it's all a matter of if there is a bed available. My Uncle has also in a different nursing home for over 10 years so I feel I'm pretty well versed. I visit, every day, at different times of day because of my schedule, none the less I am there each and every day. My mom has been very happy with the care she has been receiving, more so than the nursing home she was in in December which happens to be rated high on the list. Not all is perfect regardless of where you are but when asked for assistance I can say whatever situation was addressed immediately and professionally. They have been very attentive to her needs, she is clean and dressed appropriately, her room is also kept clean. Karen and Lazario are part of the second floor staff and probably the two most compassionate/loving people I've met in my lifetime. They are this way with every single patient on that second floor. I walk down the hallway and have the opportunity of being a bit nosey, looking into the rooms as I walk, I am so impressed with these two people. I think because of the publicity people form opinions that aren't totally accurate.
Linda

Buffalo, NY

#76 Feb 25, 2008
We had to put my Mom in a nursing home and sadly it was Williamsville View Manor. It was without a doubt the worst day of my family's life. We had someone with her from 9 in the morning until 8 at night. We fed her and called someone when she needed to be cleaned. There were diapers left on the floor, residents walked through the halls naked, aids gloves were tossed where ever they wanted. As soon as another facility became available we left there as fast as we could.
My heart breaks for the residents that are still there. This place should be condemed. Mr. Zacker should be confined to his own facility.
Happy He is getting His

Buffalo, NY

#77 Feb 25, 2008
I used to work for The Zacher facilities. Many people have no choice other than to put their family members in these dumps because he accepts medicaid and many homes do not..He uses that as an excuse to provide substandard care and blames it on the government but he must not be doing too bad if he drives his Mercedes Benz truck and lives in his mansion ,and takes constant family vacations while he takes those poor elderly peoples money. I would love to see him struggle pay check to pay check and pray for a raise to support his family, like most of his employees.He claims his facilities are clean ...its because it is sooo disgusting the staff come in on their own time and clean it with their own supplies because it is soo gross. He expects 200% out of the staff and they havent recieved raises in years. Lets not talk about employees 401k missing.He will never get it right..He acts so religious and has prayer sessions to pray for money. He does not care or appreciate his staff hes out to make a buck. I hope he gets his.
Croc Hunter

Purchase, NY

#78 Feb 25, 2008
jim wrote:
ive fallin and i can't get up

Fixodent or forget it!
Bob

Old Bethpage, NY

#79 Feb 25, 2008
My Mother was in the Sheridan Manor Nurding Home and they were wonderful to her.Iv'e here some homes are really terrible and my heart goes out to these people and there loved ones.And something should be done and fast.We should get fata.a.s.s.e.s.in Albany movig and do some investigating.
Dr Jack K

Brooklyn, NY

#80 Feb 25, 2008
when I need to depart, duct tape my foot to the accelerator with the tune-age cranked to 11 as I drive off into Zoar Valley.
Jennifer Mathew

Rochester, NY

#81 Feb 25, 2008
Complaints have been made about this nursing home to the Health Department and they are still open and neglecting people. It is time to complain to the Attorney General's office. Last year the AG put hidden cameras in the Jennifer Mathew Nursing Home in Rochester and six nurses and aides were arrested and convicted. The owner was forced to sell the nursing home. Zacher doesn't deserve to own nursing homes. He is allowing the elderly to live in squalor while he lives in a mansion, drives a Range Rover, sends his kids to private school, and lines the pockets of politicians. He is a pompous a** who has no respect for his employees, the residents or their families.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Healthcare Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands of Kentucky teachers rally for educat... Wed Calvinist 125
News Trump to deny funds to clinics that discuss abo... May 18 cpeter1313 1
News Former Nevada Sen. Harry Reid undergoes surgery... May 16 Lawrence Wolf 16
News News Trump plan for drug prices won't include d... May 15 ardith 4
News Number of Minnesota adults without health insur... (Dec '14) May 15 Greedy Government 7
News Michigan's Medicaid work requirements bill coul... May 10 lol 1
News Clarksville doctor cleared of charges (Feb '08) May 4 Whendovescry 7