State suspends admissions to Newport ...

State suspends admissions to Newport nursing home

There are 26 comments on the WATE-TV Knoxville story from Oct 14, 2010, titled State suspends admissions to Newport nursing home. In it, WATE-TV Knoxville reports that:

The state Department of Health has suspended admissions to Newport Health and Rehabilitation Center.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WATE-TV Knoxville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
concerned

Morristown, TN

#1 Oct 14, 2010
i think it is crap the way the nursing home is being put out there the problem out there is the adminstrator he needs to go the employees and defentaly the esidents should have to suffer for his mistakes some of them residens have been there a long time if they start moving them they will die some of them don't have no families the staff is the only family they got
wth

United States

#2 Oct 14, 2010
What is wrong with the state doing this only One persons decision, closing the home of around a hundred residents , if they move these people they will die and a hundred or people will lose their jobs. I cannot believe one women has that much control over that many peoples lives , I think she needs to work there for a while and see how hard everybody does work!!!!!
hmm

United States

#3 Oct 14, 2010
Something is wrong with the place period. My grandfather died after being there for three days because they never put him in the right kind of bed. He died from a blood clott! I personally am thankful those elderly people do not have to suffer anymore. The staff should know the procedures of doing their job before working there. The nurse didn't even have the decency to call my grandmother& let her know they couldn't get him to breath& fired an individual for informing my grandmother. The staff never checked on him the first day he was there and my grandmother took care of him more than anyone! Thank you Lord for letting these elderly people actually get the assistance they need. Btw it was a different administrator.
Just me

Morristown, TN

#4 Oct 14, 2010
Excuse me,, but if you had read the violations,, you would understand,, the violations are administration and pharmaceutical services. Now the administration thing is really no biggie,, just get rid of those who think they know how to run a nursing home, the pharmaceutical thing is a BIGGIE.. I would hate to think my loved one was there and was given the wrong medication. Apparently someone is not paying attention to what they are doing. What you don't realize they are messing with people lives there,, THE RESIDENTS,,, one wrong pill can cause huge problems.. Ever seen someone in anaphylactic shock?? It isn't pretty.. And those employees there,, well in health care there is always a job. So in closing, two thumbs up for Tennessee Department of Health Commissioner Susan R. Cooper, MSN, RN.. I'm glad those residents has someone looking out for them...
little bit

Jefferson City, TN

#5 Oct 15, 2010
its a horrible place to work or have to live in. The administration is a joke. The residents are treated pitiful.
concerned

Morristown, TN

#6 Oct 15, 2010
the adminstraton is a joke but let me tell younds all one damn thing right now those residents are well took care of the cnas and nurse goes above and beyond for them what youns don't relize there has been some patients out there 10 or 15 years can u imagine what havick this is going to be on them i think the management should be gone but don't punish everyone for there mistakes nobody not seeing the big picture its the residents lives they are talking about messing with and the ones that don't have no families and that staff out there is there only families would youns like to jerked form your families?
Big B

Jefferson City, TN

#7 Oct 16, 2010
i challenge anybody anytime to come to newport health and rehab and just walk through our facility. it is very very clean and does not smell at all, and our residents are happy here and they dont want to leave. just come and ask them. they love all of us and we love them and want to keep them here if at all possible. they havent shut us down yet and we are fighting with everything we have to stay here and keep our residents here. our nurses and cna's are awesome!!!! the state railroaded us and we were done wrong but with the help of the good Lord and our wonderful corporate people and our staff here i feel we are gonna be ok. im proud to be an employee there and dont plan on going anywhere. ive worked other places and by far this is the best nursing facility i have ever worked in. the president of the company has his mother here for Christ's sake! if we were such a bad place why would he keep her here. he loves his mother very much and knows we take excellent care of her. so to all the ones who wanna bash us and dont know what the heck your talking about, i challenge you to just come and take a tour and see what we do and how well we do it.
a cna

Waterloo, Canada

#8 Oct 17, 2010
Bullshit. I have worked there as a cna, and this place is a dump! They do have some good staff members, but they have a lot of them that aren't worth a damn! It smells, its old, and there residents don't even have a way of transportation. Ask the residents what kind of activities they do?, Ha, its a joke. People have fallen out of bed, due to errors of poor training. The workers don't provide team work unless they are "made" too. The remodeling aka. Painting the walls, numerous times bc they can't seem to get the colors right, instead of using that money properly. Infact they have to use pillow cases to use for personal care bc the wash cloths are so rough they cause skin breakdown! I've seen it with my own eyes. Its pathetic! As far as I'm concerned these residents will be getting better care where ever they go. God bless them all!
oh really

Waterloo, Canada

#9 Oct 17, 2010
Yeah, well is the president aware that his mother was dumped out of the bed bc of two careless employees? The employees here are a joke.
person of interest

Morristown, TN

#10 Oct 18, 2010
just let ,me let all of youns in on a little info if youns have beeb in the facility lately there is a big change it is not a dump yea pillow case are used in care because they don't cause damaged to the skin like wash rags and if u know anything at all there is no in house break downs in the building just what gets sent out there by these other shit all facility and these damn good hospitals the residents are wel took care of the cna's bust there ass out there everyday to take care of those residents and ya residents do fall but your big ass can fall at home just as easy u can't tie them down wouldn't that be nice to tie them down just because they fall so i think all of youns should think before u open that big trap u call a mouth
oh really

Waterloo, Canada

#11 Oct 18, 2010
First of all, if there at home, then if then that's one thing. They probably don't have help there. However, honey if they are PAYING to be taken care of, I don't expect them to be dropped on the floor. Secondly, would u wipe your ass on a pillow case, no I don't think so, so instead of wasting money on painting and repainting the walls, maybe they could buy some wipes. Has that ever crossed your pretty little mind? Just to let you know, I'm not talking about residents falling on there own, I'm talking about RESIDENTS being "accidentally" dumped out of the bed due to CNA care. Wether their not be enough help, or lack of training. LOOK it up how many falls they have had. If there gonna fall this much in the nursing home, hell why not just stay at home!
newport

Jefferson City, TN

#12 Oct 18, 2010
I worked there and it is pathetic. They cover up alot and do not have an eye on the nurses or cna's.
They use to didn't even give the residents showers.
person of interest

Morristown, TN

#13 Oct 18, 2010
honey in case u want to know they do have wipes but the residents prefer a warm cloth on there buts instead of a cold ipe and just to let u know the state of tenn says they have the right to fall and u can't but a interivention in place till they do and if u walk in that nursing home now if they are a fall risk and they move u will hear and alarm go off i know i am in that building quite often and just where do youns get this crap cnas drop people on there heads my grandma was out there and my aunt nd yes if it came down to it i would put my mom there i hold thm out there in the highest regaurd there aint no place perfact and they are far from being that way but the nurses and the cnas go above and beyond
current employee

Jefferson City, TN

#14 Oct 18, 2010
I work at Newport Health and Rehab and I honestly think that our staff, whether it be nurses or cna's, are excellent!!! Why would you want to put us down when you walk in our building no more than once a year to do an inspection? Have you ever worked in the nursing field and actually experienced what we do from day to day, or did you just graduate from high school and think that you were going to go in the nursing field because you will be guaranteed a job, and are you just judging us by what you think we should be? Or maybe your just judging us on what you hear? I think that Susan Cooper needs to come in our facility one day while she is off the clock and actually see what we do!! Then she won't think that she walks on water or is Gods gift to Earth!!!
i love my job

Jefferson City, TN

#15 Oct 18, 2010
I am a CNA here at newport health and rehab and i love my job and the residents. This place is not a bad place at all we arent perfect in anyway but we sure do take great care of our residents. All you people that say they used to work here are probly just mad cuz yall got fired cuz u were the ones that dont take care of these residents.. I can say that the staff we have here now are a great and we all are like family. so if anyone thinks that we are such a bad facility then u should come and visit us and really get to know how this facility is.. I LOVE YOU ALL AT NEWPORT HEALTH AND REHAB....EVERYONE KEEP THERE HEAD UP AND WE WILL GET THREW THIS!!!
oh really

Waterloo, Canada

#16 Oct 18, 2010
Um no. I'm not right out of high school, but nice try. I worked there and I was a cna there. So I DO know what I am talking about. I understand the resident has a RIGHT to fall, but when u flip someone out of the bed on stupidity is when I have a problem. Look it up, it has happened more than once! I'm not saying every cna there does a crappy job. Bc when I worked there, there was a handful of cnas that actually "cared" for the residents instead of looking at it as a job. There are a bunch there however, that do look at it as a job, wether you want to admit it or not. That building has a high turnover rate. It is a fact. I'm sorry if you feel the state is "picking" on you. But its called standards, and yes even u little newport people have to have some. If you didn't think people would be worse off. As far as wipes are concern, when I was there some of those residents were lucky to even get wiped, by a cloth or pillow case. The cnas would take short cuts and not even bother. Infact, if they wanted wipes they family had to provide them. So don't assume I don't know what I am talking about. Most of the problem with newport is they are too cliquey. Certain people only help certain ones. And for some reason you have everyone warning u about talking to certain people and watching your stuff bc fellow employees steal! So tell me that's not true!
i who know from experienc

Jefferson City, TN

#17 Oct 18, 2010
i had to spend so time at newport health and rehab because i had a stroke. i was treated great by everyone. because of them i learned to walk again and to use my arm. i would not want to live there but if i had to live away from home that is where i would want to be.
current employee 2

Jefferson City, TN

#18 Oct 18, 2010
We work very hard here everyday, and yes sometimes we are short handed....We love our lil' residents with all of our hearts, and would take them home if we could...No we are not perfect,and neither is any other nursing facility..And for the ones that have worked here and now have junk to say about it...You left you didn't try to make it better by staying and being a positive influence, you left and now you want to run your mouth..So, as far as I'm concerned YOUR just not a good human being, if you could just turn your back on these elderly people, that are being treated so badly!!( which they are not being treated badly) Basiclly stop RUNNING your DA** Mouth!
On another note I will miss everybody so much And I will be here until the last minute, because I do CARE! I have enjoyed working with all of you laundry, cnas, nurses,kitchen staff,house keeping, and the upper staff..With the exception of MR. Jack, thanks for making our residents lose there home, and making us lose our jobs...I hope you can rest well at night knowing people are going to lose there homes and christmas will be a major struggle for us to provide for our children..I hope your holidays are wonderful Mr.Milligan.. I know we will all make it through and even though we have had differences with each other at one time or another we will always remember the last few days here at NHRC...Good Bye and Good Luck to everyone..
big man

United States

#19 Oct 18, 2010
i was a resident at newport health and rehab and i missed my home but i was comfortable at the nursing home they tried to make me feel like i was home they do have activities and the lady that does them does a great job and that place is just like a big family when something happens it doesnt affect who it happens to out their it affects everyone their that place has more hart than n e place ive ever been i was glad to go home but i really hated to leave and i hate what these people are having to go through i m keeping u all in my prayers newport health n rehab gods watching over u all and he will take care of his children and to the people that are just talking bad i feel sorry for u
2 current employees

Jefferson City, TN

#20 Oct 18, 2010
As CNAs at NHRC we see that the employess, residents, and family members are going thru a really hard time right now with everything thrown at them at once. The employees here are very worried about their residents. NHRC is home to alot of people. Many of you may have very negative things to say about us, but before you judge you should come be in our shoes for 1 day... Most of you dont see what goes on with our residents and their families. Here at NHRC everyone is very close.. Kinda like a big family.. We laugh together, cry together, celebrate together, and cherish one another... By no means are we perfect... Everywhere has there problems.. but why would someone rather everyone lose evrything over a few peoples mistakes? why let one bad apple ruin the bunch? instead of us getting shut down and losing everything, why cant we just get rid of the few that doesnt care? Yes 99% of us are here because we care but there still is that few that are just here for the paycheck! Not everyone is like that...How would you feel bein taken from your home once already and have to worry about that happening again? To many out here its not just a nursing home its a HOME!!! So im just going to put it out there.... The faculty here at NHRC isn't going down without a fight!! We love our resident and most co workers would agree! Its time for us to all stick together and show them "State" people that they are VERY wrong!!! NHRC is a great place that has wonderful residents and a very caring staff.. Your not just shutting down a building... Your ruining peoples lfe!!! To everyone at NHRC: JUST HANG IN THERE GUYS WERE GOING TO GET THRU THIS! >>>>(for those of you who truly care)WE JUST GOTTA STICK TOGETHER AND LET THEM KNOW WE DO TRULY CARE!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Healthcare Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Study: 'Obamacare' repeal-only would make 30M u... 1 hr gwwwThe media 18
News Forget populism - Trump's picking orthodox Repu... 4 hr Kizzes6384 4
News California Fights To Allow Undocumented Immigra... (Apr '16) 10 hr weaver 37
News GOP governors don't see 'Obamacare' going away (Oct '14) 17 hr Moaner1296 208
News Elijah Cummings Said Democrats Gave Black Peopl... Mon high 6
Has anyone heard of Pfizer's Chantix (Dec '06) Sun Hellven 70,590
News FDA eyeballs Lasik complaints (Apr '08) Dec 3 skjblnd 21
More from around the web