Burning sensation of skin -Chantix?
Warren

Northport, NY

#22 Jan 7, 2009
roll wrote:
On chantix for second month, developed a large itchy rash on the middle of my back, appears to be growining size.
Has anyone else experienced this?
yep... exact same thing... I'm on the last pill of the third week... set a quit date for day 7... had one that day and regretted it... day 8 had zero and have been smoke free since... I dont credit chantix as much as I credit allen carr's "the illustrated easy way to quit smoking"... if you google that you can read it for free online in 15 or 20 minutes... I'm stopping chantix because of the rash and nausea after taking it.

“Freedom...NOPE”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#23 Jan 7, 2009
Warren wrote:
<quoted text>
yep... exact same thing... I'm on the last pill of the third week... set a quit date for day 7... had one that day and regretted it... day 8 had zero and have been smoke free since... I dont credit chantix as much as I credit allen carr's "the illustrated easy way to quit smoking"... if you google that you can read it for free online in 15 or 20 minutes... I'm stopping chantix because of the rash and nausea after taking it.
Hi Warren - Please let your doctor know about the rash, I have read that a few others have had it. Most people (including me) were able to get around the nausea by eating plenty to coat their stomach.

I had never really wanted to quit smoking but cigarettes had gotten so expensive PLUS they were talking about adding more taxes. BUT I REALLY liked to smoke! I had never researched quitting before but I KNEW from others who quit cold turkey that it was hard with lots of side effects.

I would never have attempted the quit without Chantix because I knew others who had such success. I have to say there is a lot of good quitting information out there that some of the posters here posted that really helped in my quit.

Lots of people quit. It's the STAYING quit that is important!! I'm glad you've found that information it will be very important in KEEPING the quit!! Good luck to you...

I had smoked for over 40 years, this is my first quit & in a few days I'll be quit for ONE YEAR!!!

Here's another site that someone posted on one of the threads the other day that might be helpful.

https://cissecure.nci.nih.gov/livehelp/welcom...
Peter

Santa Fe, NM

#24 Feb 7, 2009
I took chantix last year, and quit for about two months. I was so relieved that there were no side effects other than the nausea. I then got a rash on my hands and feet, both top and bottom. I actually noticed the rash on my hands in a conference room full of co-workers. Needless to say, when I finally got to the doctor, he prescribed prednisone, and said that I was probably as irritated internally as the external rash. I think the drugs intended outcome was amazing, in that I quit in only the first three days, but I find it deeply disturbing that the FDA would let this stuff on the market. When this happened, there were very few other blogs talking specifically about Chantix related rashes (one year ago) but I am noticing more this year.
MissMuffet

Matawan, NJ

#25 Feb 7, 2009
Peter wrote:
I took chantix last year, and quit for about two months. I was so relieved that there were no side effects other than the nausea. I then got a rash on my hands and feet, both top and bottom. I actually noticed the rash on my hands in a conference room full of co-workers. Needless to say, when I finally got to the doctor, he prescribed prednisone, and said that I was probably as irritated internally as the external rash. I think the drugs intended outcome was amazing, in that I quit in only the first three days, but I find it deeply disturbing that the FDA would let this stuff on the market. When this happened, there were very few other blogs talking specifically about Chantix related rashes (one year ago) but I am noticing more this year.
You are upset because you got a rash along with a successful quit? Lord almighty! What a whiner! And your doctor did not say that - if s/he did actually say that then run, don't walk, to a different doc right away - that one is retarded.
sara in texas

Austin, TX

#26 Feb 10, 2009
i am on day 7 - i was slowly weaning myself off nicotine so I was down to 3 to 4 cigs a day , but a pack a day on weekends, yesterday i noticed a rash on my hands and the back of my thighs - if you scratch it it welts up really bad - i am trying to ignore it - if you dont mind then it wont matter :P i really hope this isnt permanent - that would suck but a small price to pay
pattyinkc

Warrensburg, MO

#27 Feb 10, 2009
sara in texas wrote:
i am on day 7 - i was slowly weaning myself off nicotine so I was down to 3 to 4 cigs a day , but a pack a day on weekends, yesterday i noticed a rash on my hands and the back of my thighs - if you scratch it it welts up really bad - i am trying to ignore it - if you dont mind then it wont matter :P i really hope this isnt permanent - that would suck but a small price to pay
Sara, you need to call the doctor tomorrow at the latest. Tell him or her what is going on. A rash can evidently be one of the side effects.

I hope you can become a nonsmoker. It's one of the greastest things you can do for yourself.

The quit is a minute by minute struggle at first but it will get easier. You can do it!

Good luck.
Doctor

AOL

#28 Feb 10, 2009
pattyinkc wrote:
<quoted text>
Sara, you need to call the doctor tomorrow at the latest. Tell him or her what is going on. A rash can evidently be one of the side effects.
I hope you can become a nonsmoker. It's one of the greastest things you can do for yourself.
The quit is a minute by minute struggle at first but it will get easier. You can do it!
Good luck.
Almost every drug can cause a rash or hives. Usually, you can continue taking the drug and the rash or hives will go away in a few days.
What R U nuts

Oak Ridge, TN

#29 Feb 10, 2009
Doctor wrote:
<quoted text>
Almost every drug can cause a rash or hives. Usually, you can continue taking the drug and the rash or hives will go away in a few days.
This must be the internet dr mike because a real DR would know that a drug rash could be a sign of dangerous drug reaction. Take penicillin for example. If a person has hives with a that drug, they could swell from their heart, lungs, windpipe, etc not getting the blood flow and oxygen they need and die. That is why when someone gets a rash, they should report it ASAP to their DR and stop the med. A drug rash on the outside of the body is a sign of drug harm on the inside.

Don't be a dope and tell someone to continue a med when they have a rash!
Nurse

Cincinnati, OH

#30 Mar 8, 2009
I took Chantix for approximately 1 month. 2 weeks into the medicine, the itching began. My whole body itched, my hands and feet became swollen, and felt like they were on fire on the INSIDE. I stopped chantix 3 days ago and sure hope the skin problems go away.
Vik

AOL

#31 Apr 25, 2009
I was on Chantix for only 2 weeks and then this itching started. I did not have any burning, but the itching was too much to ignore. There appears to be no rash but the itching on my back, legs, shoulders, feet and hands were pretty intense. It did remind me of the hives I had several years ago or maybe some bad bug bites. I felt the Chantix was helping but I felt it best to quit the drug before something got out of hand.
Called my doctor and let her know what was going on so have to wait and see what happens. I may have to try to go cold turkey.

“to trolls everywhere”

Since: Aug 08

la...la...la...la...

#32 Apr 25, 2009
Vik wrote:
I was on Chantix for only 2 weeks and then this itching started. I did not have any burning, but the itching was too much to ignore. There appears to be no rash but the itching on my back, legs, shoulders, feet and hands were pretty intense. It did remind me of the hives I had several years ago or maybe some bad bug bites. I felt the Chantix was helping but I felt it best to quit the drug before something got out of hand.
Called my doctor and let her know what was going on so have to wait and see what happens. I may have to try to go cold turkey.
Call your pharmacist, too. It should also be reported to the manufacturer.
TryingToQuit

UAE

#33 Aug 11, 2009
I went Cold Turkey and today i.e. 11th August 2009 completed one successful month w/o cigarettes. the only problem i am facing is a mild sensation of burn in my sole. During this one month only once I feel very strong burning sensation in both of my thighs and that was too much that I got worried but it just went off after 5/10 minutes. I wonder what is happening with me.
Kathleen

Clarkson, KY

#35 Aug 12, 2009
Bev wrote:
Is anyone taking or has taken Chantix and having a burning sensation on their inner and back of their thighs?
YES!!!! I know its been 2 years since you posted this question and I hope you are checking this thread. I have an appt in a couple of weeks with a neurologistb ecasues of my twitching. I have recently pieced it together with the Chantix. Are you still experiencing twitching now 2 years later?
Virginia

Hopewell, VA

#36 Aug 13, 2009
Kathleen wrote:
<quoted text>
YES!!!! I know its been 2 years since you posted this question and I hope you are checking this thread. I have an appt in a couple of weeks with a neurologistb ecasues of my twitching. I have recently pieced it together with the Chantix. Are you still experiencing twitching now 2 years later?
Hi Kathleen, I am sorry to read about your twitching so long after chantix use. I also beleive it is related to chantix since those same receptors control muscle function. Unfortunately some effects of antagonist do not go away, most are associated with antipsychotic drugs. I do believe chantix has some antipsychotic actions as well and is currently being investigated for use in other psychiatric areas. Please do post the results of your doctor visit to help other people also searching for answers Pfizer is not answering. Again I am sorry you have this problem and am happy if you are smoke free.
rick

Collierville, TN

#37 Jan 26, 2010
mendy wrote:
I took Chantix for three days and after the second dose I woke with burning palms and soles of my feet. I developed a rash on my fore arms, stomach, scalp, legs, rear. LOL! just about everywhere. I have discontinued use and I am waiting for symptoms to go away. The rash is not red or raised unless you scratch it, but I found it intolerable. The itching reminds me of poison ivy.
I know exactly what you mean, ive been on chantix for 8 weeks and the itching just started 4 days ago. Its driving me insane....im stopping taking this immediately. Its a shame because i have quit while on the drug, i hope to keep it that way. Its really bizzare from my scalp to the bottom of my feet.
vou

Raleigh, NC

#38 Mar 28, 2010
I started Chantix to quit smoking about the end of January. Took it for 3 weeks and was doing great. Down to 2-3 a day. Unfortunately, went off the chantix due to other health problem. Three weeks later started to itch and have for the last two weeks. Have gotten severe hives and the itch still continues. did not sleep for more that 2 hours at a time for over a week. the itch starts and the the rash. Am on predizone and atarax the last two weeks,. Oatmeal baths have helped. Doctors can;t give me an answer to what it is.
Has anyone else had such a delayed reaction? Really at the end of my rope. Seems to go away for a few hour and then starts all over again.
Peter wrote:
I took chantix last year, and quit for about two months. I was so relieved that there were no side effects other than the nausea. I then got a rash on my hands and feet,

top and bottom. I actually noticed the rash on my hands in a conference room full of co-workers. Needless to say, when I finally got to the doctor, he prescribed prednisone, and said that I was probably as irritated internally as the external rash. I think the drugs intended outcome was amazing, in that I quit in only the first three days, but I find it deeply disturbing that the FDA would let this stuff on the market. When this happened, there were very few other blogs talking specifically about Chantix related rashes (one year ago) but I am noticing more this year.
Tracy

Lees Summit, MO

#39 Apr 14, 2010
I started Chantix last July and quit smoking on the 19th of July. I continued taking the chantix until mid October. I broke my ankle and had developed a rash around the injury. It then covered my legs, arms, back, hands, feet, buttocks and scalp. I was given a shot of prednisone and a 10 day oral dose. The rash went away while on the prednisone, but soon after the dose was complete, the rash reoccurred. I was again given a 10 day oral dose of prednisone and would only get relief while on the prednisone. I was referred to a dermatologist who did a biopsy and said it was eczyma. I am 44 years old and have never had eczema even as a child. I continue to struggle with the rash which stays somewhat constant without steroids. This is six months later and I have not taken chantix again, but feel it played a part in what I now go through. I believe quitting smoking is very important, but I am now struggling daily with the side effects the chantix left behind.
Barb

Palmer, TX

#40 Apr 27, 2010
I took Chantix for 3 months I quit taking it in December 09 but still have a rash on my forearms and now developing one on my chest, also my face looks like it is starting to lose its pigmentation, does anyone else have this ?
Texas

Colleyville, TX

#41 Aug 2, 2010
I am starting my 3rd week on Chantix and have developed a rash on my chest and on my forehead. I hope it will go away soon and don't have to stop taking the med.
just another smoker

Lawrence, MA

#42 Aug 29, 2010
I have been smoking for five years now an finally called my doctor to help me figure out a way to quit smoking, cus lets just say I'm not the "cut cold Turkey " type. I started off taking a 0.5mg of chantix for a week an I developed itchiness all over my body, the rashes look like scratches but welted from skin an its red an Burns so bad. I ran in my moms room the other night crying because it scared me so bad. The rash was just everywhere. Then I started chantix for the second week an the rashes got more frequent. I started getting bumps everywhere need my butt crack an around my stomach an arms. My hands get itchy an hot. I hate. Chantix an my doctor never said anything about itchiness. Be careful people, doctors don't know everything

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Healthcare Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: White House freezes new regulations 3 min Lawrence Wolf 112
Pancreatitis and chantix (Oct '08) 1 hr Darian 44
News Minnesota Gov. Dayton collapses while deliverin... 2 hr Le Jimbo 2
News Donald Trump may have just destroyed the Republ... 3 hr Le Jimbo 68
News Anti-Trump protesters set to flood Washington 15 hr Luz Morales 65
News Republican-led Senate takes first step to repea... 19 hr Battle Tested 194
News Mars investigating Skittles said to be intended... Jan 21 Spotted Girl 6
More from around the web