Burning sensation of skin -Chantix?

Posted in the Healthcare Law Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Bev

United States

#1 Oct 10, 2007
Is anyone taking or has taken Chantix and having a burning sensation on their inner and back of their thighs?

Since: Oct 07

Elizabethtown, KY

#2 Oct 11, 2007
only burning sensation that I can recall is when I tried a new exercise...
Kate

Boulder, CO

#3 Nov 15, 2007
I have burning in my lower back, thigh and calf. I am just restarting after a couples days off the Chantix because I was experiencing so much muscle? pain. It did get better but then I thought I would start back on a lower dose - pain is back with me. I am going to continue since it is only for 12 weeks and the desire to smoke is definitely better.
bev

Norcross, GA

#4 Jan 14, 2008
Katen,
How is the burning now? Do you still have it? I have been off Chantix for months but I am still getting burning sensation in the back of my thighs.
Kate wrote:
I have burning in my lower back, thigh and calf. I am just restarting after a couples days off the Chantix because I was experiencing so much muscle? pain. It did get better but then I thought I would start back on a lower dose - pain is back with me. I am going to continue since it is only for 12 weeks and the desire to smoke is definitely better.
Helpful One

AOL

#5 Jan 21, 2008
Bev,

Since you haven't taken Chantix in months, that should be your clue that Chantix is not to blame for the burning sensation in the back of your thighs.

If you have any tingling sensations, that would be due to quitting smoking and the ensuing healing process.

“Every day should be a holiday.”

Since: Jan 08

I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio

#6 Jan 22, 2008
Helpful One wrote:
Bev,
Since you haven't taken Chantix in months, that should be your clue that Chantix is not to blame for the burning sensation in the back of your thighs.
If you have any tingling sensations, that would be due to quitting smoking and the ensuing healing process.
Not necessarily true. I still have side effects from the Chantix and I havent taken it since Jan. 10th. Virginia is still having side effects and it's been I think 6 months for her.

Dont play doctor if you're not one.

Thanks.

Since: Nov 07

United States

#7 Jan 22, 2008
Heather:

Your chastising me for not reading all of your posts made me go looking again. And what did I find? You're right, I did miss some, especially about the Miralax. But I'm all caught up now, and I promise to respond better to you! Either that, or I can claim fibro fog as my excuse.

I hope you get the help you need. Please post again and let me know how you are faring. I know firsthand (even though it was 20 years ago, I'll NEVER forget it) what it means to be totally impacted. Didn't envy the nurses the night I was in their ER. The only help I got at that time was manual excavation.(I know, there's the ewwwww factor, but I don't know how else to put it.) Tricyclics were the cause of mine.

Even if I can't be there to hold your hand, you're in my thoughts.

“Every day should be a holiday.”

I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio

#8 Jan 22, 2008
I didnt mean to chastise you, I just thought most people knew the situation and felt dejected by some casually offering mini-fixes to something I knew was worth going to the ER over.

I truly appreciate your kindness.

Unfortunately, the ER doctor could not do a manual evacuation since the impaction was too high up. Like I said they tried to soaps sud enema but that didnt work either.

So, the last thing I was given to try is a colonoscopy prep kit which I have to start in the morning. They said it will soften stuff up and get stuff moving. They affectionately called it the "atom bomb" of laxatives. Haha. I am to report back to the ER if the impaction does not pass by tomorrow night. I reallllly hope it will and I was warned that it's going to be a very painful process, they said like "giving birth." Well, I've never had a kid before but I do have endometriosis so I know the bad cramping part of it. I suffered through stomach and bowel convulsions last night and fiery diarrhea (sorry to be so graphic, but I want others to know the whole truth) after everytime I ate yesterday, very healthy food too by the way.
roll

Woodbury, NJ

#9 Feb 11, 2008
On chantix for second month, developed a large itchy rash on the middle of my back, appears to be growining size.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Bev

United States

#10 Mar 17, 2008
I have been off of Chantix for months.

I have since Sept had a burning, tingling sensation on the back of my thighs, my buttock and inner thighs when I am sitting. Someday's is hard to just sit.
csM

Bangor, PA

#11 Apr 21, 2008
I've been taking chantix for 5 weeks. It's working great for the cravings and have been able to stay mostly smoke free... Three slip ups but not bad for a 21 yr 1 pack a day smoker who never tried to quit before. This weekend i developed an itchy red rash on my forearms and the backs of my hands. The chantix is the only 'new' irritant in my system or in my house. Hoping not to have to quit this cold turkey. Will call my Dr. tommorow and see what she says and check back!
Brian James

Allentown, PA

#12 May 1, 2008
I started Chantix and was on it for three months, but never gave up my morning and night cig (2 a day, down from a pack a day), but me being stubborn, I think I built up a tolerance and started full blown smoking after being off it for a week. Does anyone have an idea how long I should wait, being I built up a tolerance, before starting again? This time I will set a quit day!
JSP

Madison, WI

#13 Jul 30, 2008
Took Chantix very successfully for two months then developed a burning sensation like a sunburn. Stopped taking it and it went away. Started up again and it came back. This drug really works and I was skeptical of the side effects until the burn happened. It does work
mendy

United States

#14 Aug 13, 2008
I took Chantix for three days and after the second dose I woke with burning palms and soles of my feet. I developed a rash on my fore arms, stomach, scalp, legs, rear. LOL! just about everywhere. I have discontinued use and I am waiting for symptoms to go away. The rash is not red or raised unless you scratch it, but I found it intolerable. The itching reminds me of poison ivy.
Burning feet

Cambridge, MA

#15 Sep 5, 2008
I took chantix a year ago and quit smoking.. Ever since then I've had a burning sensation in my feet.. i've been to Dr.. thought I was a diabetic or had a lack of vitamins.. found that neither was the case..also been to pediatrist.. no one knows what it is.. i think it's from taking the Chantix.. please help.. anyone else have this?

“Freedom...NOPE”

Location hidden

#16 Sep 5, 2008
Burning feet wrote:
I took chantix a year ago and quit smoking.. Ever since then I've had a burning sensation in my feet.. i've been to Dr.. thought I was a diabetic or had a lack of vitamins.. found that neither was the case..also been to pediatrist.. no one knows what it is.. i think it's from taking the Chantix.. please help.. anyone else have this?
Were you a long time smoker? I was just talking today about my scalp & the blood flow coming back - I had tenderness & strange sensations. My feet became super sensitive also for a while & I still have more feeling in them than while I was smoking! I kept using cool-a-ped by Stanley Home Products but probably any peppermint foot lotion would have worked & they got better. Do cool or warm foot soaks help?

If it keeps giving you lots of trouble keep bothering your doctor until he/she comes up with a solution.
chantix is scary

Blakely, GA

#17 Sep 6, 2008
I have been off of chanitx for six months and still have horrible burning in the soles of my feet and palms of my hands. Also pain in buttocks and legs, knee joints,neck , back, and buring down arms. Go to www.wrong diagnosis.com type in chantix and joint and muscle pain and read your heart out. You are not alone there are many many of us sufferers out there.
chantix is scary

Blakely, GA

#18 Sep 6, 2008
http://nymag.com/news/features/43921/comments... A very interesting read "MY BRAIN ON CHANTIX""
Andrea

AOL

#19 Sep 19, 2008
The burning is most likely "neuropathy." That's what Chantix gave me too. At first it felt like the flu, then felt like fibromyalgia, then my muscles started burning and twitching in my legs and toes, to the point where it hurt too much to walk.
My neurologist gave me meds to relieve some of the pain and relax the muscles, but you can't stop the progression of neuropathy, so we are at the mercy of this disease Chantix gave us.
My neuro said that the nerve damage is permanent, all we can do is hope for no more damage, but I can try to rebuild the weak muscles it caused. This is a nightmare!

ALSO, VERY IMPORTANT!
I overheard the drug salesperson from Pfizer in a meeting with my doctor, and she was selling the doctor on rebates/commissions. Doctors get commissions on the scripts they write.
That explains why a drug that is $5. in other countries, is $150. in the U.S.
Lots of commissions along the way. I would not be surprised if the FDA was on their pay list too.
Apparently Pfizer keeps track of what they prescribe in a database.
So if you ever wonder why doctors will never admit that they believe you when you tell them it was Chantix that caused your problems-----the reason is that they can't bite the hand that feeds them!
Andrea

AOL

#20 Sep 20, 2008
I also have to say...

For over a year I have been reading blogs on different sites by confused people suffering the same bodily damage from this bastardized drug Chantix. You would think that with 1000's of complaints something would have been done by now!

Today I decided to email ABC TV's 20/20 to see if they would be interested in helping us.
But after emailing them, I realized that it was probably a waste of time for two reasons:

1. Pfizer is probably one of their biggest sponsors, so like doctors, they can't bite the hand that feeds them too.

2. 20/20's John Stossel previously ripped into Kevin Trudeau who wrote books trying to expose drug companies.(The video is on Youtube.com )

THERE HAS TO BE SOMEONE OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP US THAT IS NOT ON THE DRUG COMPANIES PAYROLLS!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Healthcare Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Governor Scott Appoints Judge Wendy W. Berger t... (Aug '12) 19 min Grandmotherof8 3
Expanding Medicaid would help El Paso's uninsur... 9 hr L Morales 15
As new Democrat, Charlie Crist would still tilt... 22 hr Liberal forever 29
More Wed Harper 1
Many kids fall through gaps in dental care Wed Wally West 14
York feminists: Supreme Court decision 'disappo... Tue Hanover 5
Pass the ACHE Act and stop destroying Appalachia Oct 28 Blowitouturwhazoo 1

Healthcare Law People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE