Congressman Eric Cantor, Reelection, Cantor Regrets TARPS Funds, Vi...

Full story: WTVR

Representative Eric Cantor has won his five previous Congressional races in convincing fashion, but even the veteran lawmaker acknowledges this year's election cycle is unlike any in recent memory.
Comments
1 - 20 of 26 Comments Last updated Oct 5, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Robert

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2010

Judged:

Both republicans and democrats are guilty of excessive spending. The reality is that we have to pay down our national debt. Money that would be available for lending by banks, etc., is being used to service the interest payments on the national debt. Much like charging the max on a credit card and then having to pay that off with money you've earned. You don't have quite as much left after paying the monthly payments.
Neither party can claim to be the "knight in white armour." They both have brought this country to its knees with excessive spending and wars.
We need smart, fiscally responsible people in Congress, not the current crop of failures.
Geneo

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2010

Judged:

Cantor only represents himself and not the voters in his district. Let him him tell us how much he takes from special interest groups. How about it Congressman Cantor? Tell us where the money comes from...

Since: Feb 10

Midlothian, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2010

Judged:

"We need smart, fiscally responsible people in Congress, not the current crop of failures."

Current? There has been no fiscal responsibility in Congress in 50 years. That is why Social Security is about to fail.

Congress has "borrowed" the surplus in that fund since day one to fund other government projects and now Social Security is sending the IOUs back to Washington for payment.

Time to pay up and fix what THEY have broken.
Jeff K

Midlothian, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2010

Yet another reason to try something new - such as the REAL CONSERVATIVE candidate known as Floyd Bayne.

The Democrats have ignored us and the Republicans have taken us for granted. We "real conservatives" finally have a choice this year.

A milquetoast RINO is just as bad as a liberal Democrat.
Jeff K

Midlothian, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2010

va_tazdad wrote:
"That is why Social Security is about to fail."
Social Security has "failed" a long time ago, sir. It has been insolvent for quite some time, but those who swear by it are going to be taking a dirt nap long before it goes toes-up.
Worst of all, those of us in our "prime" working years (late thirties to early fifties) are being forced to pay the most in FICA taxes, while simultaneously knowing we're less likely to ever receive a return on our {Ahem!}'contributions' to this Ponzi scheme.
A pox on both their houses!
Freddy

Palmyra, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2010

Judged:

Geneo wrote:
Cantor only represents himself and not the voters in his district. Let him him tell us how much he takes from special interest groups. How about it Congressman Cantor? Tell us where the money comes from...
Book sales? I would advise that everyone vote this bum out in November.
The Truth

Highland Springs, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2010

Judged:

Cantor's wife benefits from TARP. She is also on the board of Media General (Times Dispatch). He receives GOVERNMENT-RAN HEALTH CARE....but does not want anyone else to receive it. He needs to go.
Floyd Bayne

Midlothian, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2010

Judged:

Oops! Sam forgot to ask about why Cantor won't debate.:(

Since: Feb 10

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2010

Floyd Bayne wrote:
Oops! Sam forgot to ask about why Cantor won't debate.:(
Good move Floyd. So much for your chances to be elected.
Joe Cacciotti

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2010

Judged:

Congressman Eric Cantor (R) is a career politician (12 years)who continues to refuse to hear from his constituents by not holding Town Hall meetings that are not sponsored or controlled by his campaign support group.
Virginia's 7th Congressional District voters are denied further choices this November by Cantor also refusing to accept any invitations to debate his two political opponents, Floyd Bayne (I) and Rick Waugh (D).
Congressman Cantor wants the voters to only hear his views but deny the voters theirs.
It is time for Virginia's 7th Congressional District voters to elect a real conservative representative who is a citizen legislator and not a politician. That's why I'm voting for Floyd Bayne for Congress.
JustBS

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2010

Judged:

Being relatively new to VA I've watched Cantor over the past few years and he is the poster child for the good old boy republican party that he is now claiming needs to be changed. It's all lip service. His only interest is for himself. From what I've seen I don't trust him. Everything he does is to serve his own agenda. He's a weasel and needs to go. Apparently it's 10 years past due.
John Curtis

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2010

Why doesn't he do the right thing and debate his opponents?
Lou

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2010

Judged:

JustBS wrote:
Being relatively new to VA I've watched Cantor over the past few years and he is the poster child for the good old boy republican party that he is now claiming needs to be changed. It's all lip service. His only interest is for himself. From what I've seen I don't trust him. Everything he does is to serve his own agenda. He's a weasel and needs to go. Apparently it's 10 years past due.
Some cheese for your WHINE?
Apache

Colonial Heights, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2010

Judged:

This guy went along nodding his head with the Bush administration resulting in this economic mess. Even now, he and his cronies have nixed every plan of the current President and in return have not offered any concrete detailed suggestions of any plans they may have to fix anything.
He has the gall to ask voters to re-elect him!f Throw him out.
Gotta go

Nokesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2010

Judged:

This idiot followed George Bush so close that he kept breaking his nose whenever Bush sat down. Unable to think for himself I believe it is time for him to move on. Trouble is, ain't nobody running against him. So we are stuck with four more years of this wimp.
Lou

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2010

Judged:

Apache wrote:
This guy went along nodding his head with the Bush administration resulting in this economic mess. Even now, he and his cronies have nixed every plan of the current President and in return have not offered any concrete detailed suggestions of any plans they may have to fix anything.
He has the gall to ask voters to re-elect him!f Throw him out.
Didn't Obama "the magic ne groe" vote against the regulation of Fannie, even with the warning that it was unstable and could collapse?
Mike D

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2010

Judged:

So Cantor's whole plan is lower taxes and less regulation, even when our federal tax burden is the lowest it's been in five decades, and deregulation is what causes boom-and-bust economies. He's absolutely devoid of ideas -- just like the entire Republican party that caused the mess we're in now.
If we hadn't a) cut taxes at the beginning of Dubya's failed administration; b) dismantled the entire regulatory structure that kept banks from failing for forty years after FDR; c) gone to war in Iraq over a pack of lies with the worst planning in modern military history, we wouldn't be as screwed as we are now. Cantor voted for all of that and wants to go back to it. Anyone who votes for him is a fool.
Abby

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2010

Judged:

OMG, I can't imagine this is the best we can do. Let's kick him to the curb. He's been around Washington far too long.
Ed Lepps

Midlothian, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2010

Judged:

Cantor won't debate his opponents because he doesn't want anyone to know there are opponents.

Floyd Bayne is the way to go. Let's try something new.
Larry H

Glen Allen, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2010

Judged:

It is time for Mr. Cantor to go! He helped lead the way on all items of President Bush's agenda: tax breaks for the richest people in the US, uncontrolled spending with monstrous deficits, and elimination of financial regulations that contributed to the financial mess we now face. He had one of the biggest shovels to dig us into this financial hole, but he has voted against almost every piece of legislation that would help citizens of his district and the entire country. When you see who finances Mr. Cantor's re-election campaigns, you know who he really represents and it is NOT the citizens of his district. So why should any sane voter return him to Congress?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••