Elephant cruelty trial starts this week

Full story: LA Daily News 40
After more than eight years of legal skirmishing, a trial is scheduled to open Wednesday in a lawsuit filed by animal welfare groups alleging that Ringling Bros. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SOCAL91364

Anaheim, CA

#3 Feb 1, 2009
It is ABSOLUTELY disgusting that in our "civilized" world, the animals that are continued to be tortured, set up in animal fights, abused and neglected.
Ringling Bros. should have been out of business years ago - it's amazing they're still around.
Cirque de Solei is FANTASTIC and done ALL WITHOUT ANIMALS!
Chain these $#%@^&#'s up while they're in court and make sure they are chained in their jail cells for life but that still is too good for them.
Catluver0470

Hemet, CA

#4 Feb 1, 2009
I still cant believe people would go to a circus with animals! If people didn't go, the circus would not be around. We need to also educate the public about the abuse. It's disgusting what animals go through in everyday life for our entertainment! A group of us used to protest the circus when it came to town and thankfully it no longer comes to our town. Someday maybe we will put them out of business!
Kak

United States

#5 Feb 1, 2009
DonnaG wrote:
Let the defendants in these proceedings be escorted into court with bullhooks and chained to the floor during the entire hearing.
Couldn't agree with you more. Those SOB's.
I can't believe this has been acceptable for decades.
Animal Cruelty laws must change. I think they are but, not fast or harsh enough. And these people do it right in front of everyones faces.
Eric

United States

#6 Feb 1, 2009
Have any of you seen ant mistreatment yourself? No I don't think so. So you, as so many people, will believe what you hear or read from a group with an obvious bias or a former employee who may have a grudge against his former employer.
I am not saying some mistreatment has not occurred, but I am saying let the facts come out at trial and then you can judge.
By the way, if you don't like circus with animals, just don't go.
less the animals

Absecon, NJ

#7 Feb 1, 2009
People and animals should never exist on the same planet.
Kak

United States

#8 Feb 1, 2009
Catluver0470 wrote:
I still cant believe people would go to a circus with animals! If people didn't go, the circus would not be around. We need to also educate the public about the abuse. It's disgusting what animals go through in everyday life for our entertainment! A group of us used to protest the circus when it came to town and thankfully it no longer comes to our town. Someday maybe we will put them out of business!
It's been in the papers off/on for years. Not enough people care. Just the fact that those animals don't roam is abuse in it's self. I for one would never go to that circus. That's great your town did that!!!! Wish more would.
Thank God the animal welfare groups don't give up easily.
katndog

United States

#9 Feb 1, 2009
I hope we will not stop with the circus but will also address zoo's. Zoo's are jails for animals. They are bored and distressed being kept in these tiny spaces while being hand fed. Could you imagine if it were you? I mean really, what kind of life is that? Why does our society believe that zoo's are humane when in fact they are solitary confinement which drives these animals into mental and emotional distress.
Clifton VonBuck

United States

#10 Feb 1, 2009
I have ridden elephants in the jungles of Southeast Asia and am aware of the pokers used. They are really no different than using a training collar on a dog or a bit on a horse. Elephants can have behaviors like any other animal or person. We use what is appropriate. The differance is controlling an animal that weighs several tons. How do you expect to control an animal like that.

I've taken my children to Circus Vargas and Ringling Bros. There is no comparison. The children love to see the animals. Ringling Bros. is definetly the greatest show on earth.

It is my opinion for whatever it's worth that the activists wont be happy until all of the animals are taken out of the show. What a shame.
Dina

Pomona, CA

#11 Feb 1, 2009
Free the elephants from man's cruelty.....the stress circus animals have to endure just traveling is extremely cruel let alone the chains and whips and noise and lack of sleep...even the performing dogs live in tiny cages when they're not working. No one loves circus animals they are just an income. I use to go to circuses as a kid and hang out with the animals....they are tied up, chained up or caged up in small areas with no kind hand to comfort them. Many handlers told me the horses, ponies, camels and elephants stand on concrete all day long and sleep there too. Things haven't changed in 45 years !! When a circus animal can no longer perform they are euthanized because they can no longer make a buck. They have no retirement plan.....just death. Many of the circus animals are so stressed and crazy from a lifetime of cruelty they become dangerous. Then they must be killed. Ban all animals from circuses.....it's a cruel and unnatural life for all animals.
Travis

Yorba Linda, CA

#12 Feb 1, 2009
I love animals and know a lot about them. I watch Animal Planet all the time and eve see a lot of stuff in my backyard in Porter Ranch like coyotes, raccoons, rabbits, hawks, etc... I haven't gone to the circus since I was a little kid because I have learned more about how they treat the animals. They treat them like slaves, and have no remorse for them. I remember in the summer of 2000 when I was 10 I saw the circus in Long Beach and saw a lot of protesters. I even saw a man on the floor after being arrested for punching a police officer and he was a protestor too. I go to the zoo because it's a much more humane way to care for a menagerie of animals. I went to Tanzania in August of 06 and saw lions, zebras, elephants etc... and they were all in their natural habitats. The zoo gives them less space, but isn't nearly as bad as the circus. For the parents in the world that half litle kids you should start informing them about what actually goes on at the circus.
loskie1959

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Feb 1, 2009
Well it is about time!!!!!!!!! These poor babys need a voice and now they are being heard. We all need to pray to god for the protections of these beautifull creatures.. They are in one way our family too. Thank you Lord for listening. Lo.
King BOBby

Torrance, CA

#14 Feb 1, 2009
The circus will be in Los Angeles July 8-10 for everyone who wants to have a good time. Hopefully these court costs won't change the price to attend too much. The tickets currently start at $15 for the upper level.
Kak

United States

#15 Feb 1, 2009
Clifton VonBuck wrote:
I have ridden elephants in the jungles of Southeast Asia and am aware of the pokers used. They are really no different than using a training collar on a dog or a bit on a horse. Elephants can have behaviors like any other animal or person. We use what is appropriate. The differance is controlling an animal that weighs several tons. How do you expect to control an animal like that.
I've taken my children to Circus Vargas and Ringling Bros. There is no comparison. The children love to see the animals. Ringling Bros. is definetly the greatest show on earth.
It is my opinion for whatever it's worth that the activists wont be happy until all of the animals are taken out of the show. What a shame.
HEY...IF YOUR CHILDREN ENJOY IT....then what the "F".
If your children enjoy it. Why worry? If animals are abused...BUT your children enjoy it.
Wow. If that's the "Greatest Show on Earth". I feel very sorry for your children. And. of course YOU.
Elle

Artesia, CA

#16 Feb 1, 2009
Any animal chained and/or controlled with a bull-hook or forced to travel in a train for hours is abused I don't care how long it has been done, or what country is doing it. I would gladly forgo seeing an elephant in a circus. I have never enjoyed wild animals being trained to perform for our enjoyment....lions, tigers...elephants...so sad. I think that cirque de solei shows the way for us to be entertained without having to subject animals to any type of abuse.
Elle

Artesia, CA

#17 Feb 1, 2009
Clifton VonBuck wrote:
I have ridden elephants in the jungles of Southeast Asia and am aware of the pokers used. They are really no different than using a training collar on a dog or a bit on a horse. Elephants can have behaviors like any other animal or person. We use what is appropriate. The differance is controlling an animal that weighs several tons. How do you expect to control an animal like that.
I've taken my children to Circus Vargas and Ringling Bros. There is no comparison. The children love to see the animals. Ringling Bros. is definetly the greatest show on earth.
It is my opinion for whatever it's worth that the activists wont be happy until all of the animals are taken out of the show. What a shame.
First, why do we have to control an animal that weighs several tons? Why do we have to have animals put into such an unnatural environment for the sake of our childrens' entertainment? The shame is that we do not teach respect for all types of life on our planet.
Elle

Artesia, CA

#18 Feb 1, 2009
Eric wrote:
Have any of you seen ant mistreatment yourself? No I don't think so. So you, as so many people, will believe what you hear or read from a group with an obvious bias or a former employee who may have a grudge against his former employer.
I am not saying some mistreatment has not occurred, but I am saying let the facts come out at trial and then you can judge.
By the way, if you don't like circus with animals, just don't go.
I have to respond to your comments. I believe that the fact that a normally "wild" animal carted about by train, chained (for whatever reason), taught tricks for our momentary pleasure is abuse. I am no tree hugger or vegetarian, but I find it hard to believe that these animals are "happy" about their circumstance...But, you are right, if people don't like it...don't go. But, then if there are people who don't like it, they have the right to speak up...or is that bark (smile)
Kak

United States

#19 Feb 1, 2009
Elle wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to respond to your comments. I believe that the fact that a normally "wild" animal carted about by train, chained (for whatever reason), taught tricks for our momentary pleasure is abuse. I am no tree hugger or vegetarian, but I find it hard to believe that these animals are "happy" about their circumstance...But, you are right, if people don't like it...don't go. But, then if there are people who don't like it, they have the right to speak up...or is that bark (smile)
Elle...YOU are exactly right!!!
Those animals are NOT THE LEAST BIT HAPPY.
Have not been and if this goes on, will never be.
elephants are fun

Norwalk, CA

#20 Feb 1, 2009
Grow up everyone, circus needs to make money and families want entertainment, everyone wins. Elephants appreciate the full time employment and the lack of wild carnivorous predators.

Why does peta hate families?
Kak

United States

#21 Feb 1, 2009
Clifton VonBuck wrote:
I have ridden elephants in the jungles of Southeast Asia and am aware of the pokers used. They are really no different than using a training collar on a dog or a bit on a horse. Elephants can have behaviors like any other animal or person. We use what is appropriate. The differance is controlling an animal that weighs several tons. How do you expect to control an animal like that.
I've taken my children to Circus Vargas and Ringling Bros. There is no comparison. The children love to see the animals. Ringling Bros. is definetly the greatest show on earth.
It is my opinion for whatever it's worth that the activists wont be happy until all of the animals are taken out of the show. What a shame.
Yeah...too bad. That'd really suck. Ride your elephants in another country.
When animals are treated good here, sorry your children might CRY.
Kak

United States

#22 Feb 1, 2009
Elle wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to respond to your comments. I believe that the fact that a normally "wild" animal carted about by train, chained (for whatever reason), taught tricks for our momentary pleasure is abuse. I am no tree hugger or vegetarian, but I find it hard to believe that these animals are "happy" about their circumstance...But, you are right, if people don't like it...don't go. But, then if there are people who don't like it, they have the right to speak up...or is that bark (smile)
All of those animals ARE NOT HAPPY. AND, they deserve to be. You are right!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Environmental Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Audit calls for TN to refund $1.6M from EPA's F... (Dec '13) 2 hr Gay Tricky 16
Matson agrees to plea deal with feds over Honol... 22 hr Joe Balls 5
Power plants lead in greenhouse gas pollution Oct 21 Earthling-1 3
Merging two energy agencies won't keep electric... Oct 8 Alison Young 2
Congressman seeks ban to stop federal employees... Sep 30 Captain Yesterday 57
Family ties cancer to Berlin & Farro (Jan '08) Sep 30 reid1416 63
York County approves a regional agreement to re... Sep 29 StephDad 1

Environmental Law People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE