AQMD bans wood-burning fireplaces

AQMD bans wood-burning fireplaces

There are 37 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Mar 8, 2008, titled AQMD bans wood-burning fireplaces. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

Home builders throughout Southern California will be banned from installing wood-burning fireplaces under a new set of anti-smog regulations adopted Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Light My Fire

Honolulu, HI

#1 Mar 8, 2008
I will print out this page with this stupid law and burn it in my wood burning stove tonight!
Humans have been used to breathing in a little smoke from wood fires for thousands of years.
JBT

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#2 Mar 8, 2008
Thanks mommy state. This is about the Dumbest regulation ever. never mind the Bunker fuel being burned at sea and the fact gas fireplaces leave you beholden to a gas company...I have a suggsetion to our Legislators, Just stop. no more of these unenforceable wasteful, misdirected, laws.
TomFromPV

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Mar 8, 2008
Lets see now. Which party runs the legislature? And where on the political spectrum is our governor?

This is EXACTLY the kind of laws we elected these idiots to pass. What do you folks expect when you empower liberal fascists?
Joe

Redondo Beach, CA

#4 Mar 8, 2008
Instead of burning wood, natural gas will be diverted used instead or electricity from the grid.

Trading one cost (particles) for another (reliance on natural gas or electricity).

Oh well. I guess I'm too stupid to figure this all out.
American Citizen

Alamo, TX

#5 Mar 8, 2008
Don't be surprised when your taxed for using your toilet more then twice a day.
Amazing

Torrance, CA

#6 Mar 8, 2008
For anyone who knows the history of the Los Angeles basin, this area has long been inhabited by Native Americans for hundreds of years. Burning wood has always been a natural source of warmth and comfort in this area and I can't imagine that this is the cause of so much pollution. Looks like the government continues to take rights away one at a time! Next thing they will be telling us on which days we are allowed to shower! How about concentrating on big business and ensuring their polluting is at a minimum before we start restricting extremely basic rights of citizens.
OC Observer

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Mar 8, 2008
Amazing wrote:
For anyone who knows the history of the Los Angeles basin, this area has long been inhabited by Native Americans for hundreds of years. Burning wood has always been a natural source of warmth and comfort in this area and I can't imagine that this is the cause of so much pollution. Looks like the government continues to take rights away one at a time! Next thing they will be telling us on which days we are allowed to shower! How about concentrating on big business and ensuring their polluting is at a minimum before we start restricting extremely basic rights of citizens.
I agree!! Somebody ought to throw cold water on this fire!! This is ridiculous!! What are they gonna do?? Have a fleet of fireplace police cruising around polluting the air looking for illegal fireplace use that's allegedly "polluting" the air?? This is just as ridiculous as that time they wanted to have pollution control devices installed on restaurants that used a char broiler or bbq and remember that study group that wanted to have Forth of July bbq's banned because they calculated that this holiday's bbq's emitted 141 million tons of hydrocarbons and particulates into the air?? Remember that b.s.?? I just gotta laugh. I remember the head of this "research" group was headed by a Hispanic person working on his Ph.d thesis on Environmental Studies and I thought to myself, "ya....ban bbq's and see how many pissed off Hispanics you'll have because they can't have their carne asada on 4th of July"....and I also thought to myself, "No more carne asada for you either, you friggin' idiot". If particulates from bbq's are so deadly, let's make brushs fires illegal too!! Make volcano eruptions illegal too!! The exemptions are chimneas, beach bonfires, fire pits and home bbq's. What's the point then?? Only fireplaces are targeted. Sounds like a way to issue a citation to me. It was this same study group that raised the issue about gardeners using leaf blowers that used little two-cycle motors and also called into question the use of gas engine lawnmowers.

Get this.....ok, go up to PV or Newport Beach and you tell that neurosurgeon...judge...or attorney that has the beautiful home with 5 fireplaces going on Christmas Eve and go there and tell him / her that they're getting a citation for illegal fireplace usage and when they release the doberman pinschers on their property to deal with you, come back and tell us what they thought about your citation.

We don't need more government intrusion into our homes!!!
LOL

Palm Springs, CA

#8 Mar 8, 2008
A while back, I read a report about the poluting emissions from gas lawnmowers...and worse, leaf blowers.

I would guess that there are quite a few more leaf blowers going daily than wood being burned in fireplaces.

And wood burning fireplaces don't have nearly as many decibles.

Since: Jan 08

Redondo Beach, CA

#9 Mar 8, 2008
American Citizen wrote:
Don't be surprised when your taxed for using your toilet more then twice a day.
Oh CRAP! ooopps... did I do that? LOL
Judge Dreed

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Mar 8, 2008
What's next, No farting
AQMD is Crazy

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Mar 8, 2008
AQMD, why not ban cars, motor engines, gas stoves, etc etc etc. How about we just ban everything and go live in the trees with all the crazy liberals running this state.
Liberal Lovin

Houston, TX

#12 Mar 9, 2008
AQMD better NOT come knock'n at my door while me and my date are get'n friendly infront of the fireplace!! Diggety!

Redondo Beach, CA

#13 Mar 9, 2008
Judge Dreed wrote:
What's next, No farting
Don't forget cow belches.
OC Observer

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Mar 9, 2008
AQMD is Crazy wrote:
AQMD, why not ban cars, motor engines, gas stoves, etc etc etc. How about we just ban everything and go live in the trees with all the crazy liberals running this state.
The heat is coming from the threat of losing federal funds if municipalities don't align with Federal Ambient Air Quality Standards. The Feds cut your money off if you don't go along with them. Homeowners are easy to go after. They can't do anything about the soot in the air from brush fires, many of which are started by lightning. What are they gonna do?? Stand there on the ground looking upwards and yelling at God?? It's easier to beat people to death with regulations so that they get their money.

What's wrong with this picture??
OC Observer

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Mar 9, 2008
Judge Dreed wrote:
What's next, No farting
No breathing allowed by order of State Mandate. Breathing might allow you to breath in particles that might endanger your health and will affect or cause loss of federal funding to states that do not align with the National Ambient Air Quality Standards. That's the source of all the "heat" about fireplaces. The logic is that the feds also fund Medicare and if your state doesn't align with their clean air standards then your state is allowing you to breath "bad air" that will make you sick and then the fed has to pay for your medical problems. There is so many other things in the air that are much more toxic that it's almost impossible to determine what really caused a specific respiratory problem in each case. Blaming fireplaces by "correlating" obscure cloudy "facts" is really bad science. Banning breathing would solve this problem. Don't eat this...don't eat that....don't drink tap water....this and that cause cancer one year, then next year that same carcinogen is good for you....you weigh too much.....you weigh too little...you sleep too much....you sleep too little.

What's wrong with this picture??

Redondo Beach, CA

#16 Mar 9, 2008
It's Southern California, for goodness sake! We use fireplaces what... 2 months out of the year and in a really cold year at that! Ban them in Vermont or New England not here.
OC Observer

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Mar 9, 2008
InfinityPink - Redondo wrote:
It's Southern California, for goodness sake! We use fireplaces what... 2 months out of the year and in a really cold year at that! Ban them in Vermont or New England not here.
I use mine from around middle of November to maybe mid-February. We don't use our forced air heater because it dries up my wife's nasal passages and she gets nosebleeds in the middle of the night.
Enjoying the View

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#18 Mar 9, 2008
I think you are all missing the point: while people in the LA Basin have historically used wood as a heat source, since our population density grew after the time of the Native Americans we've also had a huge problem with pollution.

My parents grew up in Covina and saw the mountains only a few times a year. I live on the PV Peninsula and I see the mountains most days of the year. I'd like to keep it that way. If I have to go beyond a catalytic converter and install a low-pollution fireplace or stove in my house, then that's the price I pay for living in the densely populated LA area.
OC Observer

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Mar 9, 2008
Enjoying the View wrote:
I think you are all missing the point: while people in the LA Basin have historically used wood as a heat source, since our population density grew after the time of the Native Americans we've also had a huge problem with pollution.
My parents grew up in Covina and saw the mountains only a few times a year. I live on the PV Peninsula and I see the mountains most days of the year. I'd like to keep it that way. If I have to go beyond a catalytic converter and install a low-pollution fireplace or stove in my house, then that's the price I pay for living in the densely populated LA area.
Most people heat their homes with gas or electric space heaters as far as I can tell. I try to give away firewood sometimes. Only a small fraction in the L.A. Basin use fireplaces to heat. Firewood costs more than natural gas!! Mostly, it's combined use with the fireplaces. It's heat in the winter during the holidays and it's the ambiance. It's about 250 to 280 per cord of hardwood that might last a month. I only use the fireplace downstairs in the winter and electric heaters upstairs. We have forced air a/c and heat but we don't use the forced air heater because it dries out my wife's noise and she'll have nighttime nosebleeds.

I'm afraid fireplaces are the easiest target to go after and could be a revenue generator via citations / fines. Pine trees in the local mountains emit a natural photoreactive hydrocarbon and will cause a haze in the L.A. Basin even if not one soul lived here. There's historical note of that dating back to when Native Americans were the only population. It's no secret evergreens pollute naturally. Still, the biggest polluter is vehicle emissions. Another one that nobody talks about is brake lining dust and cast iron dust that's emitted every time you step on your brakes. Automotive painters and detailers know about it. If you run your finger tips across your vehicles surfaces that face skyward, you'll feel a roughness even if you car looks good. That's airborne cast iron dust and brake dust that settles on the surface of the clearcoat on your vehicle. At the microscopic level, these small particles have jagged edges and stick to or embed themselves onto the clearcoat. If you let a vehicle sit for a few weeks, you'll notice very small spots of rust starting to form. That's the cast iron dust starting to rust.....it's not rust coming through under the paint. If you've ever used a clay bar on vehicle's surface, you'll see what I mean. A clay bar treatment is what the pro detailers use to give your vehicle that really new look again. There's also airborne tire wear dust from every vehicle although most of it settles onto the road.....untold tons of it get washed into the gutters during a rain and finally winds up in the ocean. Fireplaces aren't the big culprit it's made out to be...it's an easy target in an attempt to bring municipalities into alignment with National Ambient Air Quality Standards so we don't lose some federal funding. Yes.....fireplaces do emit some soot but a very small percentage or a small fraction of it. The AQMD is not going to ban braking your vehicle or go after oil companies or the automakers. They will go after the general public. These are large powerful entities that keep rolling like a big steel ball and will run over anything in its path.

I'm in the automotive business.......I see what goes on with the industry .....the EPA and the AQMD and I know what incentives drive them.
OC Observer

Los Angeles, CA

#20 Mar 9, 2008
Enjoying the View wrote:
Also to add to my previous post, the L.A. Basin's geography adds to why the area's temperature inversion layer traps ALL pollutants. It occurs because the local mountains trap the basin's air under the right conditions. Nobody needs continuous fireplace use in Sunny Southern California as they would in colder climates in the U.S., like Cheyenne, Wyoming or Idaho.....you can always see those mountains even if you live in the lowlands and not up on the hill.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Environmental Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump Just Announced Plan To End 'Meals On Whee... Mar 17 Gotti 25
News Trump's budget would torpedo Obama's investment... Mar 16 Jeff Brightone 1
News Vacaville sued for Chromium 6 in water Mar 16 Birds Landing Bob 1
News California ready to pursue clean car standards ... Mar 16 tomin cali 1
News Trump To Do Uturn On Obama Era 'Climate Change'... Mar 15 Texxy 7
News Trump's plan to dismember government Mar 14 Rico from East Lo... 5
News Iowa agency that challenged farm runoff faces e... Mar 12 Pat 1
More from around the web