Sutherland Global Services Faces Clas...

Sutherland Global Services Faces Class Action Lawsuit

There are 309 comments on the www.sutherlandovertimesuit.com story from May 29, 2007, titled Sutherland Global Services Faces Class Action Lawsuit. In it, www.sutherlandovertimesuit.com reports that:

Sutherland Global Services, formerly known as The Sutherland Group is facing a collective action (known as a class action) lawsuit for not paying their employees overtime and/or commissions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.sutherlandovertimesuit.com.

Short Term Manager

Vernon, Canada

#214 May 26, 2008
Hey everyone .. I was only at Sutherland for a short period of time before I quit. They gave me a title of Manager but I guarantee you .. there were NO managers at the site I worked at .. HR ran the show. The HR manager - I am convinced had never worked in a normal environment - was the biggest gossip in the whole place - who I would categorize as menopausal self centered righteous evil souled phony. As well, our site director ran a close second and one of the sneakiest and most underhanded liars I have ever met. So glad to be out of that crap - I am embarrassed that I ever worked there - it was the worst few months of my entire professional history. I had never worked at a call center before so I wasn't sure if it was because it was a call center or sutherland .. either way I guarantee the majority of companies out there are normal and treat ppl with respect. Good luck to all of you still employed there ... good lord what a an experience it was.
From Suth Philippines

Mandaluyong, Philippines

#215 Jun 9, 2008
There are 4 Sutherland sites here in the Philippines and, yes, we do experience the same payroll problems as in the North American sites. It's creepy, but remove the place names in all the comments here and you would be describing the same sentiments and situation here in the Phillipines.
From Suth Philippines

Mandaluyong, Philippines

#216 Jun 9, 2008
I guess that's why they call it Sutherland GLOBAL...?
Amsterdam

Vernon, Canada

#217 Jun 16, 2008
Hi Short Term Manager,
How come you say that you quit, when it was that you got laid off !
are you confused ?
Concern

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#218 Jun 18, 2008
To Whom It May Concern:
I have been a loyal employee at Sutherland Global Services for a very long time and was extremely offended by an email that was sent out by a telus supervisor which also encourages the receivers to pass it along to all the tax payers they know. The email is attached. I have omitted the Sent To only because I feel the receivers for the most part are innocent with the exception of a few Telus Management(Supervisors, QA, and Trainers). I have heard while standing outside for a cigarette that most of these (the front line telus management team) found this email to be very funny and in their words true. I for one found it extremely racist. It did singled out one race in particular but for me I felt that they could have substituted this race for any other minority race and it would still have the same biting sting that it carries.
It berates, stereotypes and belittles Canadians … it preys upon new comers and anyone who falls into a minority status. As a Canadian citizen I find this humiliating and very upsetting. This is 2008 not 1808! But when this type of prejudices is found in modern day work places and telus management doesn’t find it insulting but encourages you to pass it along! Where is the moral values as a multicultural society? Are we only concern when it affects us directly? What are we teaching our kids? Where do we draw the line?
It was out circulating for almost a week then all of a sudden sutherland management has a problem with this. The rumor is that someone else found this insulting as well and reported it to upper management and only then did management take any action. In fact people were told that if they had read this email they didn’t and those who hadn’t seen it were to delete it. Some people were worried they might lose their jobs over this email. Front line management who were directly involved were told to do damage control and they had to delete it!
It was sent to 69 people that I counted on the list who knows if it was blind carbon copied to anyone else! 69 people had 5-6 days to send this to everyone on their lists! And then they could send it to everyone on their lists! Etc…. You get the idea. No one … and I mean no one apologized to the employees who received this email! No one stepped up and said ‘hey this isn’t a company policy, the individual who sent it these were her views and her views alone’. No one in telus management has taken responsibility for this. In fact I heard a rumor that this woman who sent it out and encouraged everyone to pass it along may have gotten fired but I have seen how sutherland management takes care of their own. She’ll be gone for a little while then mysteriously come back from some medical or stress leave. I have also heard that the whole management team feels that it was wrong for upper management to fire her over a silly email. I have also heard that they are looking for ways to fire the individual who reported this. You can hear a lot when you are standing outside by a dumpster when no one thinks you are listening or that you are of no importance to them.
So it seems to me that telus sutherland management didn’t have a problem with this email until someone who had some common sense and told them that they were in the wrong. What is wrong with the management?
I am absolutely disgusted with the people who are involved in this and they have lost my respect. However I’m sure they would not care because I’m not their type of Canadian considering I probably fall into the minority class. I AM CANADIAN and I feel that this email and the nature of this email is a slap in the face to all of us! You decide.
Concern

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#219 Jun 18, 2008
sorry people had to make this post in two because it was soo long .....

From: Kelli S Williamson
Sent: Sat 6/7/2008 4:08 PM
To:
Subject: Welfare Poem-Canadian Government Seniors Policy
Welfare Poem
>
> I cross ocean, poor and broke,
> Take bus, see employment folk.
> Nice man treat me good in there,
> Say I need to see welfare.
>
> Welfare say,'You come no more,
> We send cash right to your door.'
> Welfare checks, they make you wealthy,
> Medic aid it keep you healthy!
>
> By and by, I got plenty money,
> Thanks to you, Canadian dummy.
> Write to friends in motherland,
> Tell them 'come fast as you can.'
>
> They come in turbans and Ford trucks,
> I buy big house with welfare bucks
> They come here, we live together,
> More welfare checks -- it gets better!
>
> Fourteen families, they moving in,
> But neighbour's patience wearing thin.
> Finally, white guy moves away,
> Now I buy his house, and then I say,
>
> 'Find more aliens for house to rent.'
> And in the yard I put a tent.
> Send for family they just trash,
> But they, too, draw the welfare cash!
>
> Everything is very good,
> And soon we own the neighbourhood.
> We have hobby, it's called breeding,
> Welfare pay for baby feeding.
>
> Kids need dentist? Wife need pills?
> We get free! We got no bills!
> Canadian crazy! He pay all year,
> To keep welfare running here.
>
> We think Canada darn good place!
> Too darn good for the white man race.
> If they no like us, they can scram,
> Got lots of room in Pakistan !
>
>
> It is interesting that the federal government provides a single
>refugee with a monthly allowance of $1,890.00 and each can also get an
>additional $580.00 in social assistance for a total of $2,470.00.
>
> This compares very well to a single pensioner who after contributing
>to the growth and development of Canada for 40 to 50 years
> Only receives a monthly maximum of $1,012.00 in old age pension and
>Guaranteed Income Supplement.
> Maybe our pensioners should apply as refugees!
>
> Let's send this to all Canadians, so we can all be ticked off and
>maybe we can get the refugees cut back to $1,012.00 and the pensioners up
>to $2,470.00 and enjoy some of the money we were forced to submit to the
>Government over the last 40 or 50 years.
>
> Please forward to every Canadian to expose what our elected
>politicians are doing - to the over-taxed Canadian.
>
> SEND THIS TO EVERY CANADIAN TAXPAYER YOU KNOW
>
>
>
>
>----------
> All new Yahoo! Mail - Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy
>reading pane.
Concern

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#220 Jun 18, 2008
To Whom It May Concern:

I have been a loyal employee at Sutherland Global Services for a very long time and was extremely offended by an email that was sent out by a supervisor which also encourages the receivers to pass it along to all the tax payers they know. The email is attached. I have omitted the Sent To only because I feel the receivers for the most part are innocent with the exception of a few (Supervisors, QA, and Trainers). I have heard while standing outside for a cigarette that most of these (the front line management team) found this email to be very funny and in their words true. I for one found it extremely racist. It did singled out one race in particular but for me I felt that they could have substituted this race for any other minority race and it would still have the same biting sting that it carries.

It berates, stereotypes and belittles Canadians … it preys upon new comers and anyone who falls into a minority status. As a Canadian citizen I find this humiliating and very upsetting. This is 2008 not 1808! But when this type of prejudices is found in modern day work places and management doesn’t find it insulting but encourages you to pass it along! Where is the moral values as a multicultural society? Are we only concern when it affects us directly? What are we teaching our kids? Where do we draw the line?

It was out circulating for almost a week then all of a sudden management has a problem with this. The rumor is that someone else found this insulting as well and reported it to upper management and only then did management take any action. In fact people were told that if they had read this email they didn’t and those who hadn’t seen it were to delete it. Some people were worried they might lose their jobs over this email. Front line management who were directly involved were told to do damage control and they had to delete it!

It was sent to 69 people that I counted on the list who knows if it was blind carbon copied to anyone else! 69 people had 5-6 days to send this to everyone on their lists! And then they could send it to everyone on their lists! Etc…. You get the idea. No one … and I mean no one apologized to the employees who received this email! No one stepped up and said ‘hey this isn’t a company policy, the individual who sent it these were her views and her views alone’. No one in management has taken responsibility for this. In fact I heard a rumor that this woman who sent it out and encouraged everyone to pass it along may have gotten fired but I have seen how management takes care of their own. She’ll be gone for a little while then mysteriously come back from some medical or stress leave. I have also heard that the whole management team feels that it was wrong for upper management to fire her over a silly email. I have also heard that they are looking for ways to fire the individual who reported this. You can hear a lot when you are standing outside by a dumpster when no one thinks you are listening or that you are of no importance to them.

So it seems to me that management didn’t have a problem with this email until someone who had some common sense and told them that they were in the wrong. What is wrong with the management?

I am absolutely disgusted with the people who are involved in this and they have lost my respect. However I’m sure they would not care because I’m not their type of Canadian considering I probably fall into the minority class. I AM CANADIAN and I feel that this email and the nature of this email is a slap in the face to all of us! You decide.

Windsor Girl

Toronto, Canada

#221 Aug 6, 2008
Well seems like Sutherland Windsor is getting into the trouble again...There have been employees for whom the payroll errors have not been corrected for 4-5 months.
The employees did not even have the time sheets till recently and the OM used to key in entries for every one and make truck loads of mistakes which were never corrected.
The Commissions never paid out on time and this even lead to employees quitting. Basically Sutherland is the most mismanaged company.
ashley

Chicago, IL

#222 Aug 17, 2008
anyone know if vernon is closed yet?? i left some months ago, but my hr manager kept telling us that the business was going to close on the first of september... i wonder how many people they hve now? it was a fun place to work and i met a lot of good friends and heard some good stories. the hr lady kept telling us stories about the hr manager in windsor. she was apparently very loose lipped and spilled the beans lol i heard some juicy gossip from her .. lol
Kermi

North Bay, Canada

#223 Aug 22, 2008
Sutherlands Employee Policy
1.A** Ki**ing
2.S*cking D**k
3.Flashing your B**bies
4.Wearing tight pants with a F*t A** bending down wearing a thong riding up your crack.
5.If you plan on being promoted you must suck the Program Managers&the Sales Manager and the Operations Managers Dick.
6.Forget about being the middle man because upper management including the supervisors will crap on you humiliate you use you tattle on you and disrespect you.
7.To be a supervisor you will have the priveleges to sleep with any agent on your team with daily bonuses.
8.Also you will have the privelege of the computer storage room at the College Ave to have sex with the Facilies Manager or any other manager.
9.Last but not least you have to go out and party with the managers at Papa Cheneys make sure you can drink like a fish so then they can take you back to their hotel room and F*** all night long.
Windsor Girl

Wheatley, Canada

#224 Oct 6, 2008
The problem is not with the Sutherland India operations or anything, problem is with Sutherland as a company itself.If its tuff to deaL with sutherland agents probably, there is no one guiding them and doing quality checks...thts what the poroblem is as the management has no direction at all and they have absolute D**k heads as the managers and operatios managers.
LeighFlyt

Clay, NY

#225 Dec 5, 2008
Yeah, I've been with Sutherland for 2 years. I'm in NY and would LOVE to be working in Canada. I work for a program that has a floor here & a floor in Sault St. Marie. We keep being told that the Canadian floor is going to be "re-assigned" but they are told that if they work hard enough they won't loose their jobs.
I'm happy to say that I'm friends with one of the agents on the Canadian floor and he tells me that they are all worried because we have all sorts of new people being hired all the time. I keep trying to tell him that the reason we get so many people is because they keep firing people out-of-hand. First they make life miserable,(no breaks, no chatting, no wondering around to streach your legs) & impossible to meet quotas,(I work nights & repeatedly some of my sales have been shifted to another week so I don't make my quota,)then they put you on a "Performance Improvement Plan" or "PIP" to outline what you need to do to keep you job & THEN even if you MEET the requirements outlind in wrighting you're fired, if you haven't found something (sometimes that means ANYTHING)else & quit first.
I had a baby recently and the way they filed my paperwork I was getting $55 a week in temporary disability. I had to put a clame to my life insurance (they have a disability clause,) to get enough money. I went from a single mother making $2000/mo right down to nothing. I was supposed to be getting 1/2 of my monthly pay. I can live off $1000/m if i only pay the bills, besides it was only for 2 months, right? With the benifit from my life ins I was getting under $800. my rent check bounced twice & I am still catching up on my light bill.
Seems someone read the wrong line as my income & now it's not in their hands. You see, they have no control over what the government pays me. Has anyone, here, tried telling the government they should pay you more? HA!
So now I'm stuck until they fire me. At least the Canadians get a buffer with their union or what-not, probationary periods and the healthcare.
Feel blessed you don't live in "disposable" America.
God Of War

Windsor, Canada

#226 Dec 18, 2008
I was working for a program at this company and then a new company opened called Blackberry. We had an agreement that the location will be the same and we can go back to our old programs at anytime. So I went to try the program and infact got to admit, I loved it. Guess what? Today they said they want to have it moved to the other location. We're like refusing because some people don't have transportation and some don't got money to move there and cant afford. So we wanted to go back to the old program and guess what? They said NO if we dont accept we will resign. So we escalated to the HR and see what will happen. I mean they don't corporate we will have an army after them it's a promise. It will be WAR
Patrick

Windsor, Canada

#227 Dec 18, 2008
GOD OF WAR, I agree with you, you should make a war with them, I am joining you, I am a Lawyer and a Doctor, and I got good news for you. They will LOSE.
ahhahahaha

Canada

#228 Jan 15, 2009
Are you unionized yet??don't have a ride,the buses are running, ya that last war worked out for the last group didn't it
nobody

Canada

#229 Feb 5, 2009
ahhahahaha wrote:
Are you unionized yet??don't have a ride,the buses are running, ya that last war worked out for the last group didn't it
one battle does not win the war,silly thing!
who

Canada

#230 Feb 5, 2009
ahhahahaha wrote:
Are you unionized yet??don't have a ride,the buses are running, ya that last war worked out for the last group didn't it
how was the attempt at getting a union defeated, i hear thats being looked into.and i hear the union is getting ready for the next battle...it may have already started!
Freeloader

Windsor, Canada

#232 Mar 2, 2009
who wrote:
<quoted text> how was the attempt at getting a union defeated, i hear thats being looked into.and i hear the union is getting ready for the next battle...it may have already started!
With the fine protection that CAW has been offering their current members Is there even a Chrysler plant left in Windsor?!...ya, I'm really bummed that failed.
I'm sure they'll be around soon with the recession the way it is the need to fill their coffers with other suckers..err..members... money
this place is shit

United States

#233 Apr 14, 2009
This is the worst company ever. they encourage that you scam customers with exta features and accessories. If you manage to be clean, educated and are punctual you wont last very long, especially if you have morals. Id you never graduated from any level of school, enjoy ripping people off and close to nothing wages sutherland is for you.
IMPORTANT

Chennai, India

#234 Jul 30, 2009
Sutherland Global Services in Rochester has a legal adviser - AVP LEGAL currently Sumitha Yogesh, an Indian National who is not allowed to practice in NY. She has no bar affiliation. She says she deals with contracts alone but its more than that.
If anyone wants to sue them go ahead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Employment / Labor Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pregnancy Discrimination 21 hr martinhartman555 1
Sutherland Global Services Faces Class Action L... (May '07) May 14 Linkenlog 11
News More gay people can now get legally married. Th... (Oct '14) May 13 woodtick57 41
News Avoiding Job Applicants who Smoke: Is Snuffing ... May 11 bengiekrome 4
News EEOC: Papa T's workers harassed (Oct '10) May 8 fartpants 30
Bankruptcy (Oct '14) Apr 28 calebhart54 2
News Labor Department says it can't investigate So C... Apr '15 Dee Dee Dee 12
More from around the web