The Big Jobs Myth: American Workers Aren't Ready for American Jobs

Jul 26, 2012 Full story: www.theatlantic.com 20

What ails the American worker? Republicans and Democrats, chief executives and certain academics all say they see a mismatch between workers' skills and employers' needs. The data see something different.

This "skills mismatch" is routinely held up to explain why the unemployment rate is still at 8.2% three years after the Great Recession officially ended, and why nearly half of those out of work have been so for more than six months. The Romney campaign affirms that the skills mismatch "lies at the heart of our jobs crisis." In his State of the Union speech, President Obama quoted conversations with businessmen who can't find qualified workers, and then proposed "a national commitment to train two million Americans with skills that will lead directly to a job."

Full Story
June 47th 2012

Fishers, IN

#1 Jul 26, 2012
dr. Bill_mr! what on yo mind? American!;) U9ed State off American;-000000000h it"s 2f not one f!! offffffffffff America' ;-000h, like fish cake for lunch or still finding memo;-0000

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#2 Jul 26, 2012
Train 2 million Americans with skills that will lead directly to a job?

2 million Americans? We're going to put them through college? Or are we going to train them to run a cash register and take food orders?

On the other hand, I have a job opening I'm trying to fill for a research coordinator (not as high-brow as it sounds). It would be a great job for a high school grad if they had the maturity and people skills and work ethic necessary, but unfortunately, high schools no longer teach these skills. I've already been through two of these kids.

College educated applicants think this position is beneath them so they'll continue to live with mom and dad and do nothing.

There ARE jobs but education is definitely the problem. Applicants either have too much or not enough. I think we absolutely MUST start teaching kids job skills in high school and stop putting ALL emphasis on college tracks. I have a feeling that college educations are going to become less desirable in the next decade due to cost and saturation.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#3 Jul 26, 2012
PayThat CEO wrote:
Train 2 million Americans with skills that will lead directly to a job?
2 million Americans? We're going to put them through college? Or are we going to train them to run a cash register and take food orders?
On the other hand, I have a job opening I'm trying to fill for a research coordinator (not as high-brow as it sounds). It would be a great job for a high school grad if they had the maturity and people skills and work ethic necessary, but unfortunately, high schools no longer teach these skills. I've already been through two of these kids.
College educated applicants think this position is beneath them so they'll continue to live with mom and dad and do nothing.
There ARE jobs but education is definitely the problem. Applicants either have too much or not enough. I think we absolutely MUST start teaching kids job skills in high school and stop putting ALL emphasis on college tracks. I have a feeling that college educations are going to become less desirable in the next decade due to cost and saturation.
Hire a VETERAN.
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

#4 Jul 26, 2012
The real problem so represented by Mr_Bill is youngsters for a generation have been given the impression they deserve a middle class lifestyle without working for it; a whole generation has been trained to be couch potatoes without the slightest hint of character, or staying power. Mr_Bill's the clearest example of being paid for the useless skill of disruption alone. Every time we hear of some idiot standing in salad, or spitting in pizza, or jacking off in the tomatoes, we think it has to be one of the Mr_Bills.
harvey

Columbus, OH

#5 Jul 26, 2012
In fact the problem is twofold: American companies sending jobs overseas and being encouraged through tax breaks and incentives to do so, and companies using the last couple of recessions as excuses to 'work harder, not smarter' and keep their workforces as small as possible in order to force up profits and payouts to stockholders.

Naturally, politicians either don't know or don't care about it. Dems AND reTHUGs have been helping the process, or ignoring it, for years now.

Wall Street needs to be burned down and overthrown.
harvey

Columbus, OH

#6 Jul 26, 2012
Bringmeaclue wrote:
The real problem so represented by Mr_Bill is youngsters for a generation have been given the impression they deserve a middle class lifestyle without working for it; a whole generation has been trained to be couch potatoes without the slightest hint of character, or staying power. Mr_Bill's the clearest example of being paid for the useless skill of disruption alone. Every time we hear of some idiot standing in salad, or spitting in pizza, or jacking off in the tomatoes, we think it has to be one of the Mr_Bills.
More guff from the Louisiana Lunkhead, I see. Nothing like turning stupid misperceptions into childish personal attacks, eh? LOL
harvey

Columbus, OH

#7 Jul 26, 2012
PayThat CEO wrote:
Train 2 million Americans with skills that will lead directly to a job?
2 million Americans? We're going to put them through college? Or are we going to train them to run a cash register and take food orders?
On the other hand, I have a job opening I'm trying to fill for a research coordinator (not as high-brow as it sounds). It would be a great job for a high school grad if they had the maturity and people skills and work ethic necessary, but unfortunately, high schools no longer teach these skills. I've already been through two of these kids.
College educated applicants think this position is beneath them so they'll continue to live with mom and dad and do nothing.
There ARE jobs but education is definitely the problem. Applicants either have too much or not enough. I think we absolutely MUST start teaching kids job skills in high school and stop putting ALL emphasis on college tracks. I have a feeling that college educations are going to become less desirable in the next decade due to cost and saturation.
Technical High Schools are starting to fill a niche there. Ones near where I live are very popular and teaching kids marketable skills along with basics like Math, English, and Science. And kids have to apply to them and toe the line, so they don't act up very much. They know that if they're booted out, there goes their chance of a job.
Your Ex

Ashburn, VA

#8 Jul 26, 2012
No reason to not have job
Unless you don't want one.
Their not hiring your skill set in your hometown?
Stop whining,
MOVE!
Your parents did & so did theirs.
It's what made America
America.
http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/Education-T...
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

#9 Jul 26, 2012
harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
More guff from the Louisiana Lunkhead, I see. Nothing like turning stupid misperceptions into childish personal attacks, eh? LOL
What, you don't like competition?
Your Ex

Ashburn, VA

#10 Jul 26, 2012
harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
Technical High Schools are starting to fill a niche there. Ones near where I live are very popular and teaching kids marketable skills along with basics like Math, English, and Science. And kids have to apply to them and toe the line, so they don't act up very much. They know that if they're booted out, there goes their chance of a job.
Agreed!
There's a high school near me that got a Fed grant to expand their industrial arts/ fabrication program.
They built a nice new facility, then had the bright idea to offer very affordable welding certification classes to the general public.
A good idea that gets people, with the motivation, to get a job in a well paying vocation that's in demand in our area.
http://www.haydenschools.org/index.php...
Justin

United States

#11 Jul 26, 2012
If businesses are now looking for trained workers, then why don't they just call the employees they downsized last year and offer them their old job back?

Even if we did train 2 million people, they'd have to stand in line behind the 20 million unemployed people who are already trained.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#12 Jul 26, 2012
Bringmedinner wrote:
The real problem so represented by Mr_Bill is youngsters for a generation have been given the impression they deserve a middle class lifestyle without working for it; a whole generation has been trained to be couch potatoes without the slightest hint of character, or staying power. Mr_Bill's the clearest example of being paid for the useless skill of disruption alone. Every time we hear of some idiot standing in salad, or spitting in pizza, or jacking off in the tomatoes, we think it has to be one of the Mr_Bills.
Sometimes I go under your bed and bite your toes.

I spit in your soup, then I piss on your grave. I have already had your wife and mother.

I am your NIGHTMARE !

WHOOOOOOOoooooooo
harvey

Columbus, OH

#13 Jul 26, 2012
Your Ex wrote:
No reason to not have job
Unless you don't want one.
Their not hiring your skill set in your hometown?
Stop whining,
MOVE!
Your parents did & so did theirs.
It's what made America
America.
http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/Education-T...
The only thing you've moved here is your bowels, Rightie.
harvey

Columbus, OH

#14 Jul 26, 2012
Justin wrote:
If businesses are now looking for trained workers, then why don't they just call the employees they downsized last year and offer them their old job back?
Even if we did train 2 million people, they'd have to stand in line behind the 20 million unemployed people who are already trained.
Ding! Very good question.

Personally, I think it has to do with getting more work out of fewer workers, and thus maximizing their profits. But that's just me.:)
harvey

Columbus, OH

#15 Jul 26, 2012
Bringmaddogshere wrote:
<quoted text>
What, you don't like competition?
How dare you! I turn brilliant PERCEPTIONS into childish personal attacks! Don't ever compare yourself to ME!

LOL
harvey

Columbus, OH

#16 Jul 26, 2012
harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing you've moved here is your bowels, Rightie.
Sorry, that was somewhat uncalled-for. Strike it.
Your Ex

Ashburn, VA

#17 Jul 26, 2012
harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing you've moved here is your bowels, Rightie.
Rightie!? Too funny!
I think every Frightwinger on this forum
Would take you to task on that one!!!!!!
I'm a gun toting
Bleeding heart
Free thinking
Redneck.
Surprisingly, I do have friends.
Meanwhile, try
http://columbus.craigslist.org/jjj/
Your Ex

Ashburn, VA

#19 Jul 26, 2012
harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, that was somewhat uncalled-for. Strike it.
No worries Harvey
My point in reposting this whole
"get a job" thing on multiple threads with the offenders
Local Craigslist jobs board is that
I just don't get it.
I know there's unemployed folks, I have friends who lost jobs in the Bush crash
There's a group that hangs at the local park I'd rather not racially profile.
But the friends who lost jobs, got new ones. I've got 2 and always get offers for work.
Truth be told, I see plenty of jobs, & plenty of opportunity for people who want to put in the effort.
This whole "where are the jobs" BS seems to be just that, whinging on the part of the Frightwing that the Big Govt they claim to hate isn't doing their part to "create" jobs. I'm all for another round of the CCC, but I can already hear the complaining from here....
Gotta run, take it easy Harv...
JobAndPaycheckOr Career

Bryn Mawr, PA

#20 Jan 28, 2013
Bringmedinner wrote:
The real problem so represented by Mr_Bill is youngsters for a generation have been given the impression they deserve a middle class lifestyle without working for it; a whole generation has been trained to be couch potatoes without the slightest hint of character, or staying power. Mr_Bill's the clearest example of being paid for the useless skill of disruption alone. Every time we hear of some idiot standing in salad, or spitting in pizza, or jacking off in the tomatoes, we think it has to be one of the Mr_Bills.
Rant Alert.

Another big problem is that youngsters are COMPLETELY sold on the concept of a 'career'. But you need to have a job before you can have a 'career'. But today's youngster have conditioned to accept nothing less. To make matters worse, human resources or HRs have also become condition to only accept 'career' type applicants only. So both the job applicant and hiring managers are looking for that 'career' label ie degrees, certifications, experience etc. Both pidgeon hole themselves into ONE career field.

The problem is neither has any right to promise or expect a career. The job applicant has no right to expect a 30 year career, pension, benies etc. The employers and/or hiring manager have no right to promise a 30 year career.

This whole 'career' concept thing has created a nation and individuals of specialists with no diversity in their job or personal skills. This is why you have individuals that can't cook or swing a hammer. Or individuals with such poor math skills they can't even balance a check book or figure out a percentage. This is why other nations give the US a beatdown when it comes to the number of students who are proficient in math and science. These should'nt be 'nerd' skills. Alot of math and science should be everyday walking around knowledge.

But this whole "career" thing is politically dangerous because it's communist/socialist states that test and put a label on you as to what you'll be doing the rest of your life like it or not.

Do you want a job and paycheck that allows you to do somethings you want to do including pay the basic bills. Or do you want to have a career doing what you want to do all the time but endour long periods of unemployment. Or be an employer struggling to fill A position for the better part of a year looking for that perfect candidate?

JOB OR CAREER. Live to work OR Work to LIVE.
Meena

Alpharetta, GA

#21 Jan 31, 2013
I am looking for job in IT...I also noticed that it's all about HR process these days you get an interview and you attend the interview HR goes through post interview questions and that's the end of it. Hiring is the last in their minds...This could go on and on ...Me and my husband both are looking for jobs and this is what we go through week in week out....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Employment / Labor Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sutherland Global Services - Ready to File Bank... (Feb '08) 9 hr Sutherland is a joke 176
Ohio and U.S. companies in demand for truck dri... (Nov '12) Fri Erial 13
EEOC charges manufacturer for using carpal tunn... Nov 20 georgemcfly 1
Threatening facebook post????? Nov 20 Liser65 1
Service dog fraud: Are people cheating the syst... Nov 14 fmer505-1951 6
For People Fired For Being Gay, Old Court Case ... Nov 12 Jeeesus Sheeeria 19
HemetHEMET: Food market's ex-owner convicted of... Nov 11 ang_t 15

Employment / Labor Law People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE