National Guard member files complaint against sheriff's dep...

There are 20 comments on the KUSA Denver story from Jun 22, 2007, titled National Guard member files complaint against sheriff's dep.... In it, KUSA Denver reports that:

Carl Adams' father was once a sheriff's deputy in Florida. As a child he wanted to model himself after his father.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KUSA Denver.

Sedgwick County Resident

United States

#43 Jul 1, 2007
Sedgwick Resident wrote:
Ewoldt should resign. He had prior issues with Summit County as well. This is just one more incident that shows how incapable and incompetent he is.
Kim, exactly what "issues" do you know of, or better yet, have "proof" of in Summit County? Care to come up with some proof? Delbert was duly elected, and until the facts come out, it is very childish to jump to conclusions. Learn both sides, and then draw a conclusion.
cowboy

Sedgwick, CO

#44 Jul 1, 2007
Ewoldt is a joke he back stab the last two sherriffs to get there job. he was at every thing before election know no one can find him, took his office over 5 hrs to get to a crime in sedgwick. the county is getting what they voted fore .
silent to long

Sedgwick, CO

#45 Jul 2, 2007
I posted comments on this page, but I don't see them. Why?
anon

AOL

#46 Jul 2, 2007
silent to long wrote:
I posted comments on this page, but I don't see them. Why?
Are you sure it was THIS page? I don't know about other stations, but Channel 9 (KUSA-Denver) will have two or three threads about the same article, but under slightly different headlines going at once. Example: One will be "National Guard member files compaint..." , and one will be "Top News: National Guard member files complaint..."

Maybe TOPIX could assign a number to each thread.
Proud Father of a Soldier

Winchester, VA

#47 Jul 2, 2007
Proud Father of a Soldier

I have to say it’s very disturbing to see a Sheriff who takes an oath to serve and protect the citizens of his County, to enforce local, state and Federal laws and then seems to violate certain Federal laws himself! Federal laws governing the treatment of young men and women in the military reserve, mandates that time off be given to each of them to attend their monthly and summer drills.

These young folks are NOT supposed to be harassed each month for having to go to these drills or made to feel guilty because other employees have to fill in for them while they are away at the drills.

I’d like to remind everyone that these young men and women can be called up at anytime to serve their county in whatever capacity deemed necessary. Some may even have to give their very LIVES for the freedoms we appreciate in this country! I’d say these young folks deserve to have our support and especially by a Sheriff!

I have worked for various organizations over the past 25 years that have had reservist in their employment and never have I seen any of these young people harassed the way that Carl was harassed.

I personally know that Carl is one of the most dedicated and driven young men that I have ever seen. He always works hard, goes over and beyond what is called for and is willing to do whatever he needs to in order to do a good job! Carl is a fine upstanding young man with strong moral’s and religious convictions.

It’s unfortunate that Carl has been caught in the middle of a small county Sheriff trying to take on the big boy, the Federal Government. In the end, he the Sheriff will have to answer for his actions towards Carl! The law is the law and any Sheriff that violates such laws doesn’t deserve to be in office.

Hang in there Son, we are all behind you in this!!
Jim Tolentino

AOL

#48 Jul 2, 2007
The entire SCSO is not behind Delbert! They are scared to admit to it.Can you tell me how one of the dispatchers signed their name on a article to the editor when the dispatcher was out of town for a month. Can you also tell me why another deputy resigned few weeks after Carl resigned. Can you tell me where our protection is during the day? I live across deputy Crandall and I have not seen his vehicle move at all in the past week. I have not seen the Under Sheriff or Sheriff out patroling. The only person who I saw doing their job while employed was Carl.If you wanna talk to me more I'm not to hard to find. I drive a Chevy pickup with my last name on the back window. Oh another thing can you tell me why the Sheriff hides out in the S.O. instead of patroling. If you wanna call me bias say it to me in person. I know all the facts!
Sedgwick County Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Please, come up with viable proof that the facts were "lies". If he were such a "team player", how is it that the entire SCSO is behind Delbert on the entire issue? It's great you and Carl are friends, and more power to him in his career, however that just expresses your bias, and show how you would turn a deaf ear to the other side of the story, while clearly rushing to judgement.
Jim Tolentino

AOL

#49 Jul 2, 2007
Cowboy, when I voted in this recent past election for Sheriff, I thought we were getting a capable person to restore the integrity and credability to the Sheriff's Office. I guess not. Your right 100% we got what we voted for. As the saying goes "absolute power brings absolute corruption".
cowboy wrote:
Ewoldt is a joke he back stab the last two sherriffs to get there job. he was at every thing before election know no one can find him, took his office over 5 hrs to get to a crime in sedgwick. the county is getting what they voted fore .
Stop the nonsense

Sedgwick, CO

#50 Jul 3, 2007
I can say I know all the players in this saga, from Carl Adams, his wife Jennifer, his mother Helen Sweeney and step-father Pat, and Jim Tolentino, to Delbert Ewoldt, Patti-his wife, Tammy Taylor, Luci Magana and her son Robert Bashore and the sounding board from Ft. Morgan.
Carl, I saw you graduate from NJC where you were only one of two eligible to challenge the POST. You see things black and white. I can say you are also a hot head. As knowledgable as you are, you too have broken the law.(Remember the DOW?)
Carl you have served your country well, and chose to follow in your father's footsteps to become a peace keeper. It is a challenging profession.
Jennifer, it's been less than 100 days since you said I do. Continue to be there for your man, however, you need let him deal with his own responsibilities. You have the ability to bolster him, but he needs to find the footing to stand alone.
Jim Tolentino, I am disappointed with you. I commend you for being a friend to Carl, however, you were also a friend to Delbert. Its sad that you have tilted this boat so far to one side, forgetting the kind things that Delbert has done not only for you but for your mom and dad as well. You should be indebted to Delbert.
As for this forum....it's as though you basking in the lime light....just read all the posts you have written.
Jim, we can only hope that you don't stab Carl in the back too.
Helen, you are a very proud mom, and rightly so. Carl has been there in your time of need when Pat could not or would not be.
Delbert, don't let these guys BS you...you are the right man for the job. Sedgwick County does need you. Admittedly, this may have been mishandled. But the fact of the matter is...you need deputies who are available to work. Unfortunately for you, you chose one with a commitment to the military and the two schedules didn't mesh.
Tammy you took a misguided hit from Jim Tolentino on this forum,,. I know he is not man enough to apologize. Tammy, you did a wonderful job in raising Nick...a young who answered the call to duty. God speed to him, and may he come home safe.
I can only say the same to Luci and Dave. Robert is a fine son. He stands tall, just like his father. Robert please keep safe and come back soon. I know you are deeply missed by mom and dad, grandma and grandpa, your many aunts and uncles and all the cousins. I miss you too.
And just to keep things straight...Jim you wonder why Craig Leef is now leaving the force. If you knew anything at all, you would know Craig has been looking to leave the sheriff's office for some time. He applied for the job on the trash truck with the town of Julesburg twice last summer and numerous jobs since. His leaving now has no reflection on the current administration. This is an example of you exploiting the truth.
Jim how would you like the table turned on you? We all know you were driving drunk and then you tried to bribe Fred Cook. But Cook was toooooooo honest to take your money. End of story.
Jim Tolentino

AOL

#51 Jul 3, 2007
Were you there when I tried to bribe Fred? How do you know I was intoxicated? Cook himself is not an honest man. Can you tell me why he lied to the people of this county on his college education. I have viable proof. Can you also tell me why Cook also lied about his SEAL training to people in this town and to the town of Eads. I have proof on that also. Can you tell me why Cook's career's at other law enforcement agencies cut short. Can you also tell me why Cook was arrested twice in his past once while he was employed with Dacono. I have proof of that also. Yet you say I'm not a man. I'am so why don't you come to my house and say that to my face! And no I will not apologize to Tammy Taylor ever or to the General Manager of Flying J. What they did to my mother was a bunch of damn bullshit! So come to my my house and tell this things to my face and my parents. You don't know the whole facts about my case. Fred Cook is a tramp cop. It just so happens that my attorney was a former Weld County Da who had a case against Cook for child molestation while employed with Lochbuie PD. Do have any video or audio on me driving drunk or me trying to bribe Fred. I never once tried to bribe Fred. So quit trying to defend someone who is a rogue cop.
Stop the nonsense

Sedgwick, CO

#52 Jul 3, 2007
Jim, glad that you see MY point....Just as I was not there when you stopped by Fred, you were not there when Carl resigned his position with the sheriff's office. SO IN FACT YOU REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED! You don't like it when the table is turned. You talk a lot of smack, but you can't back it up.

Get a life.
Jim Tolentino

AOL

#53 Jul 3, 2007
You must be a little person who hides behind a computer. You can talk all you want and all the smack you want to about me. But one thing is for certain, I'AM A BETTER PERSON THEN YOU WILL EVER BE! Your scared to tell me your name, but yet you still attack Carl, Jennifer, and Helen. You must think you know me real well. Well you don't! I know all the facts, and you don't! I didn't stab Delbert in the back he stab us in the back. What I mean by us is my parents, Carl, Jennifer, and Helen. I stand up for what I believe in, and I stand up for my true friends. My father has taught me that. So, if you string enough come to my house and we will talk. That's if your not a coward, like I think you are. I have a life it may not be great, but it is my life. YOU COWARD!!
concerned

Norfolk, NE

#54 Jul 10, 2007
Carl cared for his mother. Sheriff Ewoldt did not even attend his own mother's funeral, let alone visit her before she passed away. That shows true compassion.
my opinion

Omaha, NE

#55 Aug 8, 2007
has anyone ever checked into delberts past?di you know he has 2 brothers and a sister 3 exwifes{one deceased}a daughter,grandchildren and yes he did not call visit or attend funeral of his mother. his reason was too much bad blood.does that sound like someone who would care about anyone but himself. shame on you delbert.the minister at your mothers funeral said you will pay a high price for selfishness.but then to act the way you do,i'm sure you have no consecious there for do not believe you did anything wrong.you think you're god and you wouldn't send yourself to hell.
my opinion

Omaha, NE

#56 Aug 22, 2007
come on someone else must have an opinion
Jim Tolentino

AOL

#57 Aug 23, 2007
I agree with you 100%, delbert does think his is god, and he thinks that the federal government cant touch him. He will be humbled greatly if Carl's case does go to federal court, delbert will also be humbled again come judgement day.
my opinion wrote:
has anyone ever checked into delberts past?di you know he has 2 brothers and a sister 3 exwifes{one deceased}a daughter,grandchildren and yes he did not call visit or attend funeral of his mother. his reason was too much bad blood.does that sound like someone who would care about anyone but himself. shame on you delbert.the minister at your mothers funeral said you will pay a high price for selfishness.but then to act the way you do,i'm sure you have no consecious there for do not believe you did anything wrong.you think you're god and you wouldn't send yourself to hell.
Blah-blah-blah-b lah

Sedgwick, CO

#58 Oct 18, 2007
"Jim Tolentino"]Were you there when I tried to bribe Fred? How do you know I was intoxicated?

Hey Jim....saw in the paper .159...I'd say you were intoxicated! YOU GOT OFF EASY WITH A DWAI......GUILTY! GUILTY! GUILTY!
Beet Farmer

Denver, CO

#59 Oct 24, 2007
Has anyone heard the rumors that the County settled with Adams out of court? Just curious if there is merit to what folks have been saying lately. If that's the case, then I imagine that Sheriff up there better be finding him a new job
Chief Patrol Agent

Denver, CO

#60 Oct 27, 2007
I just happen to be a good of Jim Tolentino, I see that this town of Julesburg is a painting place for backstabbers. I knew Jim for a long time, no one knows the Jim that Carl Adams and I know. Jim is a type of guy who will lend a helping hand to person in need and a type of person who will back his family and friends. Jim has had a rough life starting in 1996 when his father had his stroke no one lifted a hand to help Jim and his mother, and his life even got harder in 2001 when he lost 4 of his good friends. Yet no one was there to console him! Towards the end of high school Jim thought about being a Border Patrolman and serving under my command, he took the test and failed, the test is a long and crueling 5hrs. I can say that this town doesn't like Jim and his family.
I did my own investigation on Fred Cook and I didn't like what I found out about him. I'am still dumb founded why he still is in law enforcement and not in prison. You people should back off of Jim and Carl! Carl you and Jennifer are always welcome in Deming NM.
Duroc Diva

Denver, CO

#61 Oct 29, 2007
After hearing the mud-slinging and trash talking about both Jim and Carl, I've decided to offer my views on this subject.

Julesburg and Sedgwick County are the epitome of backwater good ol' boy politics. When Jeanne Riley sang Harper Valley PTA, she hit what happens at Julesburg and Sedgwick CO right on the head. I've noticed that the ones that try to present themselves as "good upstanding individuals" are the ones that are too cowardly to face both Carl and Jim and spew their hate ridden trash directly to their faces, but sit here on this forum and talk as much garbage as they can because they won't step directly to them. Both Jim and Carl are mature men and can take the criticisms, so if you have a problem with both of them, take it up with them, don't hide like little chumps.

Secondly to blah, blah, blah's comment that Jim got off easy with a DWAI and that he's guilty. He knows that he's guilty for the DWAI and he's paying his fair debt. What the hell do you want him to do? Bleed for you? Come on! Jim's being accountable to his actions and he regrets what happened.

Secondly, there was no actual bribe to Officer Cook, but an implied bribe which can't be prosecuted in the great state of Colorado. Officer Cook has some major issues and had been fired from one of his officer positions and has been charged with police impersonation in Nebraska! I did some background checking about "officer" Cook and I found some things that I didn't like about him...the man should be sitting behind state pen bars not wearing a badge.

The way that you paint Jim is of nothing but wetback trash and that he should be grateful to Sedgwick County for allowing him and his family to live there. Jim is a big hearted individual that is trying to bust his brisket to take care of his family. Where the hell are you people when they needed the help after his dad had the stroke? NOWHERE TO BE FOUND...that's where! You bashers expect Jim, Joe and Maxie to grovel at the feet of Delbert Ewoldt and the rest of Sedgwick County High Society. Jim's a damn fine individual and so's the rest of his family. I am proud to say that I know them. In fact, if Jim was such a bad person, would I let him around my severely autistic son and disabled mother? Not on my life...but I trust Jim with my and my family's life.

As far as Carl is concerned, he was a damn fine officer here at the Sterling Police Department. Carl's one of these no BS kinda guys and that's a breath of fresh air considering all of the hypocrisy that I see that is poluting Sedgwick County. I would also trust Carl and Jenny both with my son and my mother. He's being damned for trying to honor several different commitments and since he's just a lone person, he can't take care of them all. It's not easy trying to take care of a sick parent and still make the rest of life work, believe me I know. I admire your tenacity and courage, Carl and Jenny...It's a shame that Sedgwick County doesn't recognize good honest help when they see it but are content to accept mediocre career politicians that are more concerned with votes instead of upholding the law

Keep your heads up, Jim, Carl and Jenny...I'm in your corner!
Jim Tolentino

Denver, CO

#62 Oct 29, 2007
Blah-blah-blah-blah wrote:
"Jim Tolentino"]Were you there when I tried to bribe Fred? How do you know I was intoxicated?
Hey Jim....saw in the paper .159...I'd say you were intoxicated! YOU GOT OFF EASY WITH A DWAI......GUILTY! GUILTY! GUILTY!
To Blah-blah-blah-blah, you must real like to sling mud at me on a forum instead of in person. I will admit that I'am guilty but will not admit to something like a bribery charge, because there is no proof of it, only an accusation. This forum is ment for Carl not for you to sling mud at me. So if you want to talk trash to me please come to me in person. My case should have never gone this far considering Fred Cook violated my fourth amendment right and the stop was an illegal stop to begin with.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Employment / Labor Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Avoiding Job Applicants who Smoke: Is Snuffing ... 7 hr Nope 2
News EEOC: Papa T's workers harassed (Oct '10) 13 hr Datruthhurts 29
Bankruptcy (Oct '14) Apr 28 calebhart54 2
News Labor Department says it can't investigate So C... Apr 27 Dee Dee Dee 12
News Sutherland Global Services - Ready to File Bank... (Feb '08) Apr 26 AnnMary27 178
News White professors sue Alabama State for discrimi... Apr 25 revjrg 9
Should I Sell Tickets to My Boss? Apr 24 musicnews 1
More from around the web