Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit

Sep 25, 2008 Full story: WCPO 91

A lawsuit filed in federal court accuses national grocery chain Kroger Co. of age and race discrimination against a black employee in central Ohio.

Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
shorty_va

Richmond, VA

#1 Nov 11, 2008
I am glad that someone is finally stepping up to Kroger. I worked for them here in Richmond Va. I was overlooked for a higher paying position many times. Talking with the employees eligable for this position didn't want it. The store manager used a past knee injury as an excuse. Of course, the position was given to a white co-worker that didn't event want the job. I hope Kroger gets what they deserve. I also know that white employees given a higher pay rate, with less or same experience as the black. I also fell into that bracket.
BILL

AOL

#2 Nov 13, 2008
I WORKED FOR KROGER AND FOUND THEM TO BE A GREAT COMPANY. IF YOU OWNED A COMPANY AND YOU FELT THERE WOULD BE A POSSIBLE LAW SUIT (WITH YOUR KNEE) WOULD YOU HIRE OR PROMOTE THAT PERSON?? or maybe you just dont work hard enough!! ive been in grocery for over 25 years and you MUST prove youself to go up in any company. and by the way it doesnt matter if you are black or white you must work hard!!! i have had many black boss and they got there by working hard and learning the ropes . i would suggest if you are not happy with kroger then QUIT . you sound very unprofessional when you say i did not get it because im BLACK . so stop crying and work harder!!!
Stephanie

Louisville, KY

#3 Dec 5, 2008
I work for Kroger and I have seen a black people and white people get promoted who did not deserve it so therefor Kroger does not practice discrimination against anyone so if you don't know and haven't worked for such a good company then SHUT UP!
Stephanie

Louisville, KY

#4 Dec 5, 2008
Also Kroger has a union so the pay rate is equal!!!!!!!!!!1
can j

United States

#5 Dec 3, 2009
BILL wrote:
I WORKED FOR KROGER AND FOUND THEM TO BE A GREAT COMPANY. IF YOU OWNED A COMPANY AND YOU FELT THERE WOULD BE A POSSIBLE LAW SUIT (WITH YOUR KNEE) WOULD YOU HIRE OR PROMOTE THAT PERSON?? or maybe you just dont work hard enough!! ive been in grocery for over 25 years and you MUST prove youself to go up in any company. and by the way it doesnt matter if you are black or white you must work hard!!! i have had many black boss and they got there by working hard and learning the ropes . i would suggest if you are not happy with kroger then QUIT . you sound very unprofessional when you say i did not get it because im BLACK . so stop crying and work harder!!!
You sound stupid and ignorant! My daughter is 21 years old and works for kroger here in Toledo and they are HORRIBLE! So what they have a union...it's usless. She has a manager that makes racist comments, I suppose because she's young he feels he can get away with it. They curse at her, she's had a manager approach her screaming at her and it just so happens the union rep was there and witnessed it and filed a greivance for her because she said he was totally out of line. Filing greivances are a waste of time because nothing is done. Her most recent incident is with a co worker doesn't like black people and who doesn't like my daughter and they are constantly making references to 'ghetto' and 'living in the hood' and my daughter is none of those. She is a young lady with out kids going to college, never lived in a "hood" and isn't ghetto. This particular woman walked up on my daughter with her mouth practically touching her ear going off on her and then following her around saying stupid stuff like I make 40 thou a year and blah blah blah. She is not the manager she is a co worker. She wanted to try and make my daughter fight her or go off on her but my daughter remained professional through the incident and the woman left and came back looking like she had been crying!! So please don't tell me about being UNPROFESSIONAL!!!
(excuse any errors I am typing this in a hurry at work)
can j

United States

#6 Dec 3, 2009
You sound stupid and ignorant! My daughter is 21 years old and works for kroger here in Toledo and they are HORRIBLE! So what they have a union...it's usless. She has a manager that makes racist comments, I suppose because she's young he feels he can get away with it. They curse at her, she's had a manager approach her screaming at her and it just so happens the union rep was there and witnessed it and filed a greivance for her because she said he was totally out of line. Filing greivances are a waste of time because nothing is done. Her most recent incident is with a co worker doesn't like black people and who doesn't like my daughter and they are constantly making references to 'ghetto' and 'living in the hood' and my daughter is none of those. She is a young lady with out kids going to college, never lived in a "hood" and isn't ghetto. This particular woman walked up on my daughter with her mouth practically touching her ear going off on her and then following her around saying stupid stuff like I make 40 thou a year and blah blah blah. She is not the manager she is a co worker. She wanted to try and make my daughter fight her or go off on her but my daughter remained professional through the incident and the woman left and came back looking like she had been crying!! So please don't tell me about being UNPROFESSIONAL!!!
(excuse any errors I am typing this in a hurry at work)
coolboy

Charlotte, NC

#7 Dec 20, 2009
i agree kroger is very discriminative and racist. i used to work for kroger and i kno believe u me

“My Two Cents”

Since: Nov 09

Waukesha, Wisconsin

#8 Dec 20, 2009
I like Krogers bakery! MMMM...MMMM!!! Glazed croissants! Yum!
tanftx

Ralls, TX

#9 Jan 1, 2010
out of curiousity, how do these individual workers go about filing these kind of lawsuits. from a financial point of view, i am assuming they can not be cheap. and the employer company would have far more money to ride out such a lawsuit?
Sue

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Jan 5, 2010
I don't believe Kroger as a company is discriminatory but some store managers and/or department manager are. I've been with Kroger now about 3 years and have seen it more than once. It's a sorry place to work when you don't 'kiss the asses' that have the power.
As for the young black woman who's being treated poorly, she needs to document each and every time something occurs and let her management know she'll be doing this. Perhaps that will help put an end to that discrimination there.
Ace

Astoria, NY

#11 Jan 5, 2010
The guy probably showed up late, went to the toilet all the time, pinched items on his way home, called in sick and didn't get a raise when hard workers did. I have seen these kinds.....always looking for an easy way out by suing some big firm. Don't believe anything he says.
observer2002

Charlotte, NC

#12 Jan 11, 2010
Stephanie wrote:
Also Kroger has a union so the pay rate is equal!!!!!!!!!!1
not true. there are ways to get around that
observer2002

Charlotte, NC

#13 Jan 11, 2010
ALL THOSE WHO FEEL THEY HAVE BEEN DISCRIMINATED AGAINST BY KROGER SHOULD CONTACT THEIR LOCAL EEOC ORGANIZATION AND FILE A CLAIM AGAINST THE COMAPNY......THIS PROCESS IS COMPLETELY FREE OF CHARGE AND YOU WILL BENEFIT FROM THIS. LETS FACE IT....AS A COMPANY KROGER DOESNT WANT THEIR NAME TO CONSTANTLY BE SHED IN THE NEGATIVE LIGHT OF DISCRIMINATION, IT NOT GOOD FOR THEIR BUSINESS OR SALES. IF YOU DO YOUR RESEARCH KROGER RECENTLY LOST A LAW SUIT OF DISCRIMINATION AND HAD TO PAY $16 MILLION AS A REMEDY. SO PLEASE LET YOUR VIOCE BE HEARD AND DONT BE AFRAID TO FIGHT FOR JUSTICE.
THANKS
Cbus

Columbus, OH

#14 Jan 11, 2010
I can't speak to how they treat their employees, but how they maintain and stock their stores in white versus black neighborhoods really says a lot.

Heck, I'm white and not a liberal and I noticed it.
rebel

Columbus, OH

#15 Jan 11, 2010
get in line age discrimination is apparently socially acceptable and is everywhere...
rebel

Columbus, OH

#16 Jan 11, 2010
can j wrote:
You sound stupid and ignorant! My daughter is 21 years old and works for kroger here in Toledo and they are HORRIBLE! So what they have a union...it's usless. She has a manager that makes racist comments, I suppose because she's young he feels he can get away with it. They curse at her, she's had a manager approach her screaming at her and it just so happens the union rep was there and witnessed it and filed a greivance for her because she said he was totally out of line. Filing greivances are a waste of time because nothing is done. Her most recent incident is with a co worker doesn't like black people and who doesn't like my daughter and they are constantly making references to 'ghetto' and 'living in the hood' and my daughter is none of those. She is a young lady with out kids going to college, never lived in a "hood" and isn't ghetto. This particular woman walked up on my daughter with her mouth practically touching her ear going off on her and then following her around saying stupid stuff like I make 40 thou a year and blah blah blah. She is not the manager she is a co worker. She wanted to try and make my daughter fight her or go off on her but my daughter remained professional through the incident and the woman left and came back looking like she had been crying!! So please don't tell me about being UNPROFESSIONAL!!!
(excuse any errors I am typing this in a hurry at work)
YOU ARE AT WORK AND ARE ON THIS FORUM? YOU ARE why the workplace is bad for all of us! don't you see how you are misusing company time?
theyaresogreedy

Columbus, OH

#17 Jan 11, 2010
JNielsen71 wrote:
I like Krogers bakery! MMMM...MMMM!!! Glazed croissants! Yum!
Thanks you too, your comment made me laugh.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#18 Jan 11, 2010
I stole a bananna from Kroger. I put it down my pants. So then I told my white friend how easy it was. He got arrested. Go figure.
theyaresogreedy

Columbus, OH

#19 Jan 12, 2010
I really understand both sides. I speaking from experience not necessarily from Kroger's, but from other work places, that prejudice and racism does exist. Anyone that tells you it doesn't is living in a fantasy world. Yeah, there may have been some that worked for kroger's who were treated great and then there were some who worked for kroger's who were discriminated against. Companies need to realize that in this day and age, that is not TOLERATED. There are laws and I do believe the comments by can j, that were made to her daughter. I am of the older generation and it has happened to me, but I wasn't able to prove mine, because of the job status position and the bias of this company who had high powered connections, so I couldn't fight city hall (so to speak) on my own and they lied to cover themselves. I was devastated and felt I couldn't fight a losing battle. I see it everyday, in fact I have been where this person's (can j) daughter is right now, with the verbal abuse and harassment with is actually causing a hostile work environment. Can J, needs to get in touch with the EEOC and possibly filing a lawsuit based on discrimination, whether it is verbal, emotional or mental, it is not suppose to be tolerated. Those comments about the hood and ghetto are racial slurs and innuendos and shows racial discrimination based on race. This is violating her equal opportunity rights under the law. People can't have it both ways, you don't want to hire minorities and treat them fairly, and if that is the case then how are they going to ditch such bad and wrongful stigma's and better themselves if they aren't allowed to be a better person to society starting with the marketplace. Then you put them in a category that society itself created against minorities. People need to realize this is how lawsuits are born. I will quote a saying; "Don't cripple a person and then criticize the way they walk". Companies that sit by and do nothing are as equally at fault and are condoning this type of bad and negative and unacceptable behavior. It probably would have been a lot easier and cheaper to put the abusive worker on a notice and or fire her instead of letting her think that it is ok to treat people this way which is a very bad example to set in the work place. Now they are left open for a potential lawsuit based on discrimination. Can J, you need to check into that matter for your daughter. No one should have to deal with racism in the workplace. That is why the laws were created to protect the victims of such hate and ignorance behavior. Your daughter is there to work just like the other employees, she is not there to be verbally harassed and threatened in any manner which is probably causing stress and depression to her which will probably start taking its toll on her mentally,emotionally and physically. If she is working and doing her job then she is in the right and the potential abuser should be reprimanded, actually she should already have been reprimanded if the store was following the EEOC laws.
Good luck to you both.
ima idiott

United States

#20 Jan 12, 2010
shorty_va wrote:
I am glad that someone is finally stepping up to Kroger. I worked for them here in Richmond Va. I was overlooked for a higher paying position many times. Talking with the employees eligable for this position didn't want it. The store manager used a past knee injury as an excuse. Of course, the position was given to a white co-worker that didn't event want the job. I hope Kroger gets what they deserve. I also know that white employees given a higher pay rate, with less or same experience as the black. I also fell into that bracket.
If you think that a black employee and a white employee should make equal wages then I think black athletes and white athletes should be of equal numbers and pay in the N.B.A. I concede that blacks are faster, quicker and can jump higher now will you please concede that blacks are dumber and lazier. God bless all of his children

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Employment / Labor Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Free Online Training & Certificate Offered in M... (Dec '09) 13 hr ASJS3117 42
Ohio and U.S. companies in demand for truck dri... (Nov '12) 13 hr White1 17
Justice Department Extends Title VII Protection... Dec 23 TerryE 1
Eric Holder panders to transgender individuals ... Dec 20 TerryE 1
Sutherland Global Services - Ready to File Bank... (Feb '08) Dec 18 DallasCounty 177
Violis plead guilty to violating child labor laws Dec 11 Guilty 1
Worker Dies at Tumwater Cardinal Glass (Sep '08) Dec 11 JC Mexico 18
More from around the web