Updated: Citing abuse, officials clos...

Updated: Citing abuse, officials close Heritage Boys Academy

There are 60 comments on the Panama City News Herald story from Jun 5, 2010, titled Updated: Citing abuse, officials close Heritage Boys Academy. In it, Panama City News Herald reports that:

There were bruises and cuts, permanent lacerations and bloody underwear. The signs of abuse were clear, Bay County Sheriff Frank McKeithen said Friday, and that's why investigators removed 17 kids from Heritage Boys Academy, a military school that also taught Christian doctrine, and shut the facility down.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Panama City News Herald.

random

United States

#21 Oct 13, 2010
YoU will have to look forward too!!!
hmmmm

Olongapo City, Philippines

#22 Oct 19, 2010
random wrote:
To all the people who are so sad that they have to make themselves feel good by making lies to hurt others you are worthless pieces of crap!You people need to get your head out of the sand and relize just because you dont have a sense of morals or integrity doesnt mean others do not.God will sort all of this out in due time and when he does you worthless individuals who made these lies will have to answer to him an trust me there wont be any excuses for you then,so until then,enjoy life because thats all
The bible says your sins will find you out. The maynards really mean well but there going at things wrong at times. Love them or hate them pray for them and Gods will. They are humans and they have feelings. Lets all stop bashing them and hope they didn't do anything wrong! Lets not forget were not perfect. I made mistakes as a christian. I'm not saying I agree with child abuse and to them. I made a bad blog that i'm not proud of. I'm sorry. I'm willing to be a man and say it. God knows the truth. And if there not guilty I hope they can change things and hold there heads up and serve the lord. And if there guilty I hope the book is thrown at them!!!!!!
lookalive

Panama City, FL

#23 Oct 27, 2010
I don't have to make up lies about the Maynards. I was told about Chris Maynards affair from a very reliable source. And this person was a member of Bible Believers church and was one of the members that made the decision to ask the Maynards to leave. As for Buddy Glass, I was so snowed by his gentlemanly Christian ways. The longer we attended the church the more insight we had into Buddy Glass' true personality. I believe he is saved and was once a very good and effective pastor. Something happened along the way (looks like greed took hold) and had the Glass' not left the church on their own, he would have been prosecuted for embelzement. The church members gave them the chance to leave quietly and avoid prosecution. You think these church members should have given them a farewell party? NOT!
anonymous

Lynn Haven, FL

#24 Oct 28, 2010
lookalive, you obviously are listening to pure gossip, because I was there firsthand in both situations, as close to the situation as one can be, and whoever you are, you are listening to pure gossip. The Maynards left Bible Believers of their own accord as well. No one asked them to leave. Wrong again. Furthermore, no one at Bible Believers ever took the time to invest in the Heritage Boys Academy for long enough to know even if there was something going on there. I WAS THERE, you weren't. Whatever source you have, I can promise you that I was twice as involved at the very least. Those who were involved with us are still on our side. The nay-sayers who never were invovled still make up crap, lie, and gossip to people like you. I think it's funny that you have such "spiritual discernment" in this when you obviously aren't right with the Lord by listening to pure gossip by somebody who wan't even there! Ha! You're the typical apostate "Christian" in America today without a lick of spiritual discernment. To publish gossip and lies like this in a public forum against innocent people--you should be ashamed.

"If you do anything for God, there is no measure to the lies, gossip, and wickedness that will catch you in the neck." - C.H. Spurgeon
Kenny aka beaner

Teaneck, NJ

#25 Nov 12, 2010
i was that 14 year old that went to heritage boys academy i'll mever forget the first night i went there i was so depressed my parents told me we were going to disney and when i woke up "brother buddy" came to the car and dragged me out and then my parents left me hysterical so there was this guy named marty the biggest asshole said "keep crying, keep crying" i was still hsterical and he made me hold 2 broom sticks infront of me for 5 minutes long and i couldnt do hold them and he brought me into the staff room which was the CC room and he made me pick them up and hld them straight out again i couldnt marty then picked me up and threw me through the closet causing a bump on my head that later on i had to get surgery on it was a calcified hemotoma i told my parents a different story because he said he would beat my ass i was a scared 14 year old boy and yeah the gay kids name was Ben. ben said "im going to tell everyone im gay so i can leave this taco stand" his exact words so the boys put bengay in his underwear and when he went to use the shower after he said "my balls are on fire" but yeah my butt was beat red i have a few stripes on my but to this day their nasty scars and marcus that kid used to be in there with me and was one of the worst kids how did he end up working there??? marcus always told me "i wish i could take hold of that switch and give the kids an ass beating" not going to lie they were the biggest rascists ever my nickname was "beaner" the "grungie garzas" s brother rob would say were 3 brothers johnathan zachariah and jeremiah johnathan was called "chickster the spickster" because he was spanish and had chicklet two front teeth and there were two black kids they were called n word by most of the staff or "dirt". i couldnt imagine how much more worse it would be to the kids aron russle and cliff never smiled they always walked arouynd wwith this sad depressed face on them and when you ran away you got about 40CC's for everyday for a little over a month i remember when i told buddy and rob i was going to die because they didnt let me use my inhalor im a "phoney bologna" they said i then had an asthma attack after they made me keep running and they had a defibrolator in the house that they then let me use after and also my inhalor i wasnt kidding in thought i was going to die but withing the next hour i then felt betterand was able to almost fully breath but yeah my cnclusion is dont give them the right to open that up again sure it is good by God we read the bible everyday but the corporal correction is abuse
donjuan

Pompano Beach, FL

#26 Dec 10, 2010
i went to the heritage boys academy for 1 year and eightmonths and i do admit there was choke outs and sometimes they got out of line, but in the ends these people cared about you and you could see it as they let former boys stay with them in the end everyone makes mistakes , but they were good people in the end. They were very OLD SCHOOL people if your familiar with the term. The food was good i dont care wat no one says expet on hell week and stuff.
unknown

Panama City, FL

#27 Dec 16, 2010
kimmmmmm if you know the maynards as well as you claim to then you would know that what your saying about them and how perfect you claim they are is a pile of crap that they have brainwashed you to believe and you mr. or mrs.---FAMILY OF GOD--- don't know squat about what that former HBA boy talkin bout he's seen stuff happen there that you would wet yourself if you knew i am a former HBA boy myself but will not reveal who i am buddy maynard needs to get as religious as he forced us to be before he go to----
unknown

Panama City, FL

#28 Dec 16, 2010
familyforGod wrote:
<quoted text>
what a rebellious comment... and you wonder why you went there! If you had any idea how much love went into them trying to teach you to do right... If the love and call of God wasn't there in the workers trying to change you for the better, do you really think they would have spent all their time trying to help boys? Do you know how many jobs that God could have given them that would have been much more enjoyable than what they sometimes had to put up with? Quit sucking your thumb about what you didn't like and realize that you had a chance and blew it. One day you will answer to a real God and all you will have left of your life on Earth will be the memory of people who loved you enough to invest their time in you and you wasted it.
----- familyforgod---- just shut your crap you don't you don't-have a clue about a damn thing your saying
Haha

Chipley, FL

#29 Dec 16, 2010
And you do, unknown? I was there the day Kenney-beaner as he calls himself came in--and it was the boys that called him that, not the staff. I was there the day you came in, regardless of who you are, because I was there for about 90% of the boys that came in. I'll tell you who's full of crap, it's you. The Maynards don't need a bunch of you idiots who belonged in a detention center to talk about "justice" and "abuse." Go smoke a joint.
bruce cook

Cape Coral, FL

#30 Jan 11, 2011
I was there from 1998-2000, wasnt a military style home then. I actually lived in a double wide trailer with between 3-7 other boys at that time. Place got much bigger after I left but I was there soon after the building of the larger home, much nicer than that double wide lol. Too bad things got out of hand, I do miss bro buddy. I will admit I hated my stay there but did learn alot of positives. And yall who complain about that "switch" LOL, be glad you werent there for the rod or paddle.
will

United States

#31 Mar 17, 2011
Kyle Banks wrote:
<quoted text>
I happen to know for a fact that this is true. i attended this place for a year and a half back when it was known as heritage home for boys. Chris Maynard had an affair with one Theodore Gearheart and another boy found out and she allowed him to have an early release so he wouldnt tell her husband. that place was horrid. i still have nightmares to this day of that place. its been almost ten years since ive been released. im sure there are others that suffer from PTSD from the terrifying experience we had at this place.
I think we were there at the same time. E-mail me and I will give my contact info. [email protected] We hafta to do something soon. I think this thing is in trial now!!!!!!!!!!
bill

United States

#32 Mar 17, 2011
unknown wrote:
kimmmmmm if you know the maynards as well as you claim to then you would know that what your saying about them and how perfect you claim they are is a pile of crap that they have brainwashed you to believe and you mr. or mrs.---FAMILY OF GOD--- don't know squat about what that former HBA boy talkin bout he's seen stuff happen there that you would wet yourself if you knew i am a former HBA boy myself but will not reveal who i am buddy maynard needs to get as religious as he forced us to be before he go to----
I was there too. email me at [email protected] THere might be something you can do.
bill bob

United States

#33 Mar 17, 2011
Kenny aka beaner wrote:
i was that 14 year old that went to heritage boys academy i'll mever forget the first night i went there i was so depressed my parents told me we were going to disney and when i woke up "brother buddy" came to the car and dragged me out and then my parents left me hysterical so there was this guy named marty the biggest asshole said "keep crying, keep crying" i was still hsterical and he made me hold 2 broom sticks infront of me for 5 minutes long and i couldnt do hold them and he brought me into the staff room which was the CC room and he made me pick them up and hld them straight out again i couldnt marty then picked me up and threw me through the closet causing a bump on my head that later on i had to get surgery on it was a calcified hemotoma i told my parents a different story because he said he would beat my ass i was a scared 14 year old boy and yeah the gay kids name was Ben. ben said "im going to tell everyone im gay so i can leave this taco stand" his exact words so the boys put bengay in his underwear and when he went to use the shower after he said "my balls are on fire" but yeah my butt was beat red i have a few stripes on my but to this day their nasty scars and marcus that kid used to be in there with me and was one of the worst kids how did he end up working there??? marcus always told me "i wish i could take hold of that switch and give the kids an ass beating" not going to lie they were the biggest rascists ever my nickname was "beaner" the "grungie garzas" s brother rob would say were 3 brothers johnathan zachariah and jeremiah johnathan was called "chickster the spickster" because he was spanish and had chicklet two front teeth and there were two black kids they were called n word by most of the staff or "dirt". i couldnt imagine how much more worse it would be to the kids aron russle and cliff never smiled they always walked arouynd wwith this sad depressed face on them and when you ran away you got about 40CC's for everyday for a little over a month i remember when i told buddy and rob i was going to die because they didnt let me use my inhalor im a "phoney bologna" they said i then had an asthma attack after they made me keep running and they had a defibrolator in the house that they then let me use after and also my inhalor i wasnt kidding in thought i was going to die but withing the next hour i then felt betterand was able to almost fully breath but yeah my cnclusion is dont give them the right to open that up again sure it is good by God we read the bible everyday but the corporal correction is abuse
Email me. [email protected] I was there too. we need to talk
bill

United States

#34 Mar 17, 2011
Evil in the name of god wrote:
I work with boys like the boys sent here, and never have i had to lay a hand on them. These "holy men" enjoyed beating these boys...and they did beat them!! If this is your god at work, then you must be afraid as hell...all the time!!! And if boys are leaving this horrible place and going to jail, apparently there approach doesn't work.
I was there. Email me at [email protected] please. I really want to talk to you.
bill

United States

#35 Mar 17, 2011
Sonny wrote:
<quoted text> I was a staff member at the Academy.. There were so many good things about the maynards but there was so many things they tried to sweep under the rug. Yes chris did play with teddy. They also broke up a few fams because the husbands did'nt conform to there ways. The boys home is very hard for the boys but also keep in mind its a punishment not a park. If i agree or not to there ways. Well I disagreed thats why I have nothing to do with them. They have cultish and old fashioned ways. They got kicked out of light house for trying to take it over the church from pastor Glass and split that church. Pastor Glass is to good of a man for them to try to do that to. This place should be lookd into. And also they gave a boy 30 licks for a week for being gay..hmmmm....They mean well with bad direction. ITS A CULT!!!!!!!
Email me at [email protected] i was there and i need to talk to you this thing is going into pre-trial soon.
HAHA

Chipley, FL

#36 Apr 15, 2011
Hey, Sonny, I'm sure they apologize for not allowing you to BEAT your wife. No, your wife left you, and Pastor Maynard provided a haven for her. She's still there, safe from YOU!
Pavel S C

Roseville, CA

#37 Sep 6, 2011
Evil in the name of god wrote:
I work with boys like the boys sent here, and never have i had to lay a hand on them. These "holy men" enjoyed beating these boys...and they did beat them!! If this is your god at work, then you must be afraid as hell...all the time!!! And if boys are leaving this horrible place and going to jail, apparently there approach doesn't work.
we are all glad that u work with boys. im Pavel Chernyavskiy , i live in california and I HAVE BEEN TO Heritage Boys Acadamy. let me tell u first hand what happen. i was an a god hating atheist who would get drunk, high, and party all the time. within 23 DAYS of me being sent there i got saved!!! the staff at the boys home would in all there power be with the lord. they didnt hit any of us out of anger, but out of reproff to teach to be better men, unlike a lot of u who have false acusations. And no ,a beating is with fists, NOT A LITTLE STICK("SWITCH")that caused your butt to hurt for 2 hours and went away!!! But u are right they did have the fear of the lord, unlike this individual. KJV Pro 1:7 "the fear of the Lord is the biginning of knowledge; But fools despise wisdom and instruction." if there are any questions message me on facebook
Br Junkins

Quezon City, Philippines

#38 Jan 19, 2012
Guys, Are we gonna mature or what. We are gonna face God for what we do, and what they do ...they will stand too. It is very safe to for give and keep humble; even when others refuse to forgive, or reconcile.
Truth teller

Chipley, FL

#42 Feb 26, 2013
He was never staff at the academy...the writer of this previous post here has been arrested in the Philippines for abusing his wife. Very reliable source.
marc

Baraboo, WI

#43 Dec 14, 2013
best place ever. spent a year an half there. they changed to me to believe in god and change to me to be a good man. sad to see this place get shut down. they should get this place running again so I can go vist them I m iss the maynard family and the ungers and the blackburns an the channers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Domestic Violence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Perry principal, teacher face charges after aid... 1 hr As I see it 5
News Customs arrest in courthouse sends "horrible" m... 4 hr The Hunters 22
News Mewhinney case pending dismissal (Feb '16) 18 hr Pauline 17
News Morehouse teen charged with sodomy, child moles... (Jul '16) 21 hr Parr 15
News Wade Robson & Why Many Molestation Victims Don'... (Jun '13) Mon Spotted Wee 72
News Critics: arrest of alleged abuse victim in El P... Feb 18 American 21
News Police: More girls come forward in Perry molest... Feb 18 betterntunnels 1
More from around the web