Plight of homeless in the Berkshires

Plight of homeless in the Berkshires

There are 9 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Sep 29, 2013, titled Plight of homeless in the Berkshires. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

Recently, I was hospitalized at Berkshire Medical Center. I was struggling with a diagnosis and a real fear of having nowhere to go.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

the city I hate

Eddington, ME

#2 Sep 29, 2013
That's funny because a week and a half ago the "acting" police chief, wearing a dress and camo stilettos, and all those super heros of the halls of injustice wearing red heels were feeling your pain on a warm fall evening while tramping around beautiful downtown Pittsfield's multi million $$$$$$$$ cultural district raising funds for victims of domestic violence. Maybe the Elizabeth Freeman center, the "acting" police chief, and the super heros of injustice can put their heads together and come up with a dirty used sleeping bag for you to sleep under a bridge this winter. But if you insist on a cot maybe you'll get lucky and get arrested by Pittsfield's finest on some phony charge and end up in jail for the winter.
the city I hate

Eddington, ME

#3 Sep 29, 2013
And just what are you trying to accomplish with your whiny letter complaining about domestic violence and the plight of homelessness, and a four year waiting list for the privilege of living here in the multi million $$$$$$$$$$ artsy cultural district of the beautiful prosperous berserkshires? There are social agencies that offer free meals, just go look for them. How dare you want a roof over your head too. Have you given any consideration to the fact that without victims like you the Elizabeth Freeman center she-beasts would be out of jobs and the "acting" chief wouldn't have an excuse for publicly tramping around wearing a dress and camo stilettos, soliciting donations to help unfortunate misfits. In addition to the many scenic bridges you have a choice to sleep under, Pittsfield is now offering Silver Lake for your year-round bathing needs, as it doesn't freeze even here in these dark cold berserkshire winters. I don't know what else you could possible want. And at least Pittsfield's "acting" chief isn't shaking down an alleged whore house for donations to a toy funds and then allegedly stealing the toy funds meant for needy kids and spending the stolen money on booze and his wife's credit card bills.
the city I hate

Eddington, ME

#4 Sep 30, 2013
the city I hate wrote:
And just what are you trying to accomplish with your whiny letter complaining about domestic violence and the plight of homelessness, and a four year waiting list for the privilege of living here in the multi million $$$$$$$$$$ artsy cultural district of the beautiful prosperous berserkshires? There are social agencies that offer free meals, just go look for them. How dare you want a roof over your head too. Have you given any consideration to the fact that without victims like you the Elizabeth Freeman center she-beasts would be out of jobs and the "acting" chief wouldn't have an excuse for publicly tramping around wearing a dress and camo stilettos, soliciting donations to help unfortunate misfits. In addition to the many scenic bridges you have a choice to sleep under, Pittsfield is now offering Silver Lake for your year-round bathing needs, as it doesn't freeze even here in these dark cold berserkshire winters. I don't know what else you could possible want. And at least Pittsfield's "acting" chief isn't shaking down an alleged whore house for donations to a toy funds and then allegedly stealing the toy funds meant for needy kids and spending the stolen money on booze and his wife's credit card bills.
Beautiful Sparkling Silver Lake Spa coming soon. No doubt it was worth the wait and the $$$$$$$$$$ that went into it.
the city I hate

Pittsfield, MA

#6 Sep 30, 2013
Maybe you missed the fact that $316,000 was spent to rehab one house in the ghetto and that property is still listed for sale at the fire sale price of $79,000 or less? who knows. But that's one of Pittsfield's successful success story's addressing affordable housing in Pittsfield. Maybe the current crummy mayor, Krol, and Lothrop can get you a used sleeping bag and you can sleep out under the moon on the beautiful scenic walkway around sparkling Silver Lake.
the city I hate

Pittsfield, MA

#7 Sep 30, 2013
CDBG Housing:$2,628,152 "A total of 176 units of housing rehabilitated, providing work for 36 companies employing 85 people." "Over the past five years CDBG dollars totaling $8,205,964 have created more than 150 jobs and helped more than 90,000 people." So they say.
The Worlds Biggest Lie

Agawam, MA

#8 Sep 30, 2013
the city I hate wrote:
<quoted text>Beautiful Sparkling Silver Lake Spa coming soon. No doubt it was worth the wait and the $$$$$$$$$$ that went into it.
Ice fishing, snowmobiling, ice sculptures, snowman for the kids.
the city I hate

Pittsfield, MA

#9 Sep 30, 2013
The Worlds Biggest Lie wrote:
<quoted text>
Ice fishing, snowmobiling, ice sculptures, snowman for the kids.
Well then take your kids there. Maybe Pittsfield will put on a spooky Halloween event. Won't that be fun.
the city I hate

Eddington, ME

#11 Oct 1, 2013
CDBG Public Services $1,469,905

"CDBG funds provider programs and services to 44,186 persons."

"Programs that provide a wide variety of services to low-income residents: Berkshire Children & Families preschool; Berkshire Community Action Council homeless shelters; Berkshire County Kid's Place; Brien Center; Red Cross; United Cerebral Palsy; Key Program; Western Mass Legal Services; and the Elizabeth Freeman Center."
the city I hate

Eddington, ME

#12 Oct 1, 2013
Elizabeth Freeman Center Inc

"The Elizabeth Freeman Center Inc benefits, focusing specifically on unknown programs. Elizabeth Freeman Center Inc legal structure is a corporation. The organization is classified as a 170(b)(1)(a)(vi) organization, which indicates it receives a substantial part of its support from the government unit or the general public. Elizabeth Freeman Center Inc is a charitable organization.

With $732,599 in assets as of year-end 2011, Elizabeth Freeman Center Inc is slightly larger than average. The 2011 reported income was $1.68 million, which makes it one of the highest-earning nonprofits."

Average Salary $80,000, unless its really more! I'll bet they have someplace warm to sleep this winter while doing all their good work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Domestic Violence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Casey Anthony trial is dissected again in a... Apr 26 kauna 22
News Poorest preschoolers most vulnerable to fatal c... Apr 24 Spotted Girl 1
News Oklahoma ScissorTales: This law can stand to be... Apr 23 Defeat Nancy Pelosi 2
News Perry principal motion hearing in child abuse c... Apr 23 As I see it 1
News Suspected rapist accused of performing crude ab... Apr 22 Donna Pesl 1
News Court Transcripts: Bill O'Reilly Abused His Wif... (May '15) Apr 19 Sexual Harrassment 2
News California chief justice: Courts are not the pl... Apr 19 Wildchild 1
More from around the web