Springfield police update information...

Springfield police update information on Hailey Owens' kidnapping, murder

There are 241 comments on the KMBC-TV story from Feb 19, 2014, titled Springfield police update information on Hailey Owens' kidnapping, murder. In it, KMBC-TV reports that:

Craig Michael Wood is being held for the kidnapping and murder of 10-year-old Hailey Owens.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KMBC-TV.

First Prev
of 13
Next Last
Hukt Awn Fawnix

Strafford, MO

#1 Feb 19, 2014
I have to say it. I was pretty proud of our Springfield area for a long time whenever one of these child abduction/murder stories came across the news because it wasn't "ours". Somehow I was under the na´ve and misguided although highly desirable belief that we were somehow shielded from events like these in our "neck of the woods".

Having lost a child myself; I understand the immense feeling of tragic loss. But to have your child ripped away from you without being able to say good bye, without being able to whisper "I love you" in their ear as they slip away quietly... I'm thankful not to know that kind of hurt. My son passed away from medical circumstances. This child was stolen and then killed. The only thing harder than hearing your child is gone is the feeling of air going through your lungs as you continue to draw breath after you learn your child never will do so again. The feeling of crippling guilt that drowns you as you realize your heart still beats though your child's heart is still and there's nothing you can do to change it.

My prayers are with this family and those who tried to assist little Hailey because they too are feeling the brunt of this loss. I sure hope that I have neighbors like these folks that took such quick action to try to save this young lady.

Even though the results were ultimately tragic in ending; they're still heroes in my book.

United States

#2 Feb 19, 2014
Hukt Awn Fawnix wrote:
Somehow I was under the na´ve and misguided although highly desirable belief that we were somehow shielded from events like these in our "neck of the woods".
People who commit such atrocities exist everywhere in the world. Short of taking every sensible precaution there's little that can be done, and even then sometimes that isn't enough.
seriously

Jefferson City, MO

#4 Feb 20, 2014
Richard_ wrote:
evidently, that dude needed a little snatch in a hurry.
You're an ass! You & your comment has been reported. Hopefully your comments will be deleted & with any luck you'll be banned for a period of time!
maybe

Nevada, MO

#5 Feb 20, 2014
Maybe they should keep an eye on Richard
evidently

Nevada, MO

#6 Feb 20, 2014
Richard sounds like he needs to be under observation.
evidently

Nevada, MO

#7 Feb 20, 2014
Why couldn't the PD conect the license to the address and go straight to the house? In that short amount of time he must have went straight to his house. Why couldn't they got a helicopter circling that area? So tragically sad.

Jefferson City, MO

#8 Feb 20, 2014
evidently wrote:
Why couldn't the PD conect the license to the address and go straight to the house? In that short amount of time he must have went straight to his house. Why couldn't they got a helicopter circling that area? So tragically sad.
Because the truck didn't belong to him. He borrowed it.
evidently

Nevada, MO

#9 Feb 20, 2014
Couldn't they get the information from the owner?

Jefferson City, MO

#10 Feb 20, 2014
evidently wrote:
Couldn't they get the information from the owner?
I'm assuming that's how they eventually found him. Perhaps the owner wasn't at home & that's what caused the delay?
Incognito

Springfield, MO

#11 Feb 20, 2014
I believe I read ... The truck was owned by his father (Jim) and mother ( Regina ) out of Ash Grove who confirmed CW was in possession .
Visitor from ice box

Honolulu, HI

#12 Feb 21, 2014
Hang him high on national TV.

Let everyone view his painful death.

COPs failed miserably...

Government needs clean sheet redesign, top to bottom.
American

Ozark, MO

#13 Feb 21, 2014
Words cannot describe the distasteful interview Steve Grant (KY3/NBC) aired with Haley's mother. It is obvious that the mother is in total shock. But what is even more amazing is how Grant justified his interview. As a culture we continue to be less sensitive. I hope that if anything this horrible happens to a reporter strangers don't show up at your home with cameras.
evidently

Nevada, MO

#14 Feb 21, 2014
Visitor from ice box wrote:
COPs failed miserably...
Put them kind on Devil's Island. Let them live together. Let them live like the animals they are.

Jefferson City, MO

#18 Feb 21, 2014
Visitor from ice box wrote:

COPs failed miserably...

While I agree he should get the death penalty & no way that he could be put to death would be justice enough, I disagree with your comment that "COPs failed miserably". What makes you think they failed? What, in your opinion did they do wrong? I can't wait for your response, this should be rich!
evidently

Nevada, MO

#20 Feb 21, 2014
If it would have been an armed robery and they had the information that was given to them I bet they would have put things together faster. They had the license number. How long does it take to find the owner of the truck and make a phone call to the owner?
evidently

Nevada, MO

#21 Feb 21, 2014
Or had a Marshfield police officer go to the address of the owner in Marshfield. They complimented themselves on how fast they found him. He was at his house with the truck in the driveway. Good detective work.
Sand

Mountain Home, AR

#22 Feb 21, 2014
evidently wrote:
If it would have been an armed robery and they had the information that was given to them I bet they would have put things together faster. They had the license number. How long does it take to find the owner of the truck and make a phone call to the owner?
No they did not have a license number, They had a description of the truck. And when a truck that matched the description was seen they took care of business right away. Try to get it right next time.
grave digger

Forsyth, MO

#23 Feb 21, 2014
evidently wrote:
you should be thankful they took this idiot off the streets forever,,,cuz he would of kept killing children,,,like that little amber girl,,,after her death her family started the amber alert system,,,a good for this country,,,so maybe this will make it better for springfeild and safer for the kids,,,also heard the police had officers at a bunch of diffrent places including his home waiting on him and he just pulled into his driveway when they got him,,,maybe the springfeild school districts will make it policy to give every teacher yearly back ground checks and more to find out who is a sicko or shouldnt be teaching or be around children,,,you know damn well this wasnt this guys first child abduction,,,and that young man who saw it and chased after the guy is the kind of neighbor every neighborhood needs,,,neighbors watching neighbors,,,
joann

Kansas City, MO

#26 Feb 21, 2014
Sand wrote:
<quoted text>No they did not have a license number, They had a description of the truck. And when a truck that matched the description was seen they took care of business right away. Try to get it right next time.
The neighbor told the officers the license plate number and the description of the truck when they arrived on the scene. I don't understand the delay in taking action either. I don't think anybody does. How he could qualify for a public defender is another question. This has gone national and I think people are questioning the time lapse everywhere. At least he is off the streets. Thanks to the neighbors being alert enough to get all the needed information. It makes you wonder if this was his first.
Visitor from ice box

Honolulu, HI

#27 Feb 21, 2014
joann wrote:
<quoted text>The neighbor told the officers the license plate number and the description of the truck when they arrived on the scene. I don't understand the delay in taking action either. I don't think anybody does. How he could qualify for a public defender is another question. This has gone national and I think people are questioning the time lapse everywhere. At least he is off the streets. Thanks to the neighbors being alert enough to get all the needed information. It makes you wonder if this was his first.
Correct, I'm in a different state and just saw the story which indicated one witness ran after the truck, another followed the truck in their car. The lic plate number was provided.

It took 102 mins to get the amber alert issued, 1 hour and 40 mins.

Cops had the license off the truck and the guy was still able to drive it home, kill the girl, cut her into pieces, stuff her into trash.

Even thou he was driving his parents truck, how much time does it take to sort that out?

The government in this matter, like so many others, FAILED!!

Government failed the sense of urgency test. Even thou a defenseless very young girl was known to have been kidnapped the Government moved like snails.

There should be an investigation as to why the Government failed and then that problem should be FIXED!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Criminal Defense Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2 Norfolk police officers charged with embezzle... 1 hr What 1
News Supreme Court rules against clerk in gay marria... 3 hr Responsibiility 32
News Supreme Court rules against clerk in gay marria... 5 hr WasteWater 89
News Cross County Judge Under Investigation 5 hr Whatever 8
News Second Pittsfield officer files federal whistle... 5 hr Fish Rots from th... 6
News Ogdensburg man faces up to life in prison for a... 10 hr Puzzled 1
News Owner of closed Erie tavern faces trial on char... 12 hr da good boy 1
More from around the web