Jehovah's Witnesses hushed up child sex scandal

Jul 16, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Sunderland Echo

Jehovah Witness ministerial servant Gordon Leighton admitted sexually abusing a child when he was confronted by his church elders, a court heard.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 60 of79
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Aug 09

Bedfordshire, England

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

True Christian witness wrote:
The people who are looking for the truth about God and life, and who are wondering what is going to happen to this earth in the future, will find the truth with Jehovah's witnesses.
I repeat, no other religion is teaching the truth about God and your future, if you choose to have a life in the future. No other religion is doing this preaching work, and this whole world has been reached with the good news of God's Kingdom.
Matthew 24:14
But everything the gov body has said will happen in the future has proved wrong. They are totally false prophets. If you disagree tell me all the things the society alone have got right about the future.
unlisted

Mebane, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

as a catholic i was outraged and disgusted at what happened. people were not afraid and i am speaking of devout Catholics in NY who protested and those who protested at the Vatican.
i ad a long talk with the =priest who was in the church i attended. he was fairly young and left.
i no longer give money as i feel i will not and refuse to give funds that may go to the slime lawyers who will defend these people who were supposed to be trusted.
Catholics were not afraid to hide their feelings and demand change and there is change going on now from the little ones who are no longer permitted alone with any male and given books to read with parents about safety and to the adults who had formed committees to check out the their churches.
this is what this organization should be doing along with all the other faiths who came forward and admitted and apologized for what has occurred.

anywhere you have little children there will be monsters who will prey. church schools playgrounds daycare etc
but if your going to hide it as this org does then someone and many of you have to go and protest get and stick up for your child and get them to change make it public because forums such as this are going to help bring this org to its knees.
BUDGIE

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

The people who are looking for the truth about God and life, and who are wondering what is going to happen to this earth in the future, will find the truth with Jehovah's witnesses.
I repeat, no other religion is teaching the truth about God and your future, if you choose to have a life in the future. No other religion is doing this preaching work, and this whole world has been reached with the good news of God's Kingdom.
People don't need to look for "truth" within the false prophet cult of the watchtower,,, they have proven over and over again to be the false prophets that the Bible warns us not to go after..

The most stupid thing is that all those who believe that the WTBTS is Gods mouthpiece,
Gods only channel, Gods prophet, to all on earth today,. Even when the record of this
controling cult shows a 100% failure of all their predictions.. They even believed that the "prophet" was right
when 1925 would see the return of the old testament worthies,

Watchtower April 01, 1923, from page 106 :
"1925 is definitely settled by the Scriptures...the Christian
has much more upon which to base his faith than Noah had
upon which to base his faith in the coming deluge"
The Watchtower has a 100% FAILURE RATE even when "interpreting" prophecy. Not very reilable is it.?

On top of that are all the pathetic excuses that are made to defend this false prophet like
"oh well they made mistakes", YEAH!!!?? thats what false prophets do , they get it wrong,
and despite the fact they are told plainly in God's word how to identify these false prohets,
(i.e. by getting all those predictions wrong), they still continue to hold the idol up, thinking its
the best thing since sliced bread.. and carry on swallowing the lies that are told them. How dumb
is that?.
The Jehovah's Witnesses live in denial. They have to. All of their false prophecies are a matter of public record.

If you want to keep up with the lates lies then follow the watchtower cult leaders..
Serious Questioner

Bishop Auckland, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

How do you know what other denominations are doing? Do you go to other churches to see what they're up to?

This weekend there will be a lot of Christians on the streets of my and many other UK cities reaching out to people, while the jws go and knock on the doors of empty houses. This happens every Saturday. As for reaching the whole world, you aren't reaching people if you go to their homes and they aren't in, but jws go anyway - what a waste of time!

As for looking for truth, I'd rather look in the Bible, I know that's the source. As for literature distributed by jws, they're no more the source of truth than the publications on this site.

http://comics-db.com/Marvel_Comics/index.html

SQ
jace

Saylorsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

BUDGIE wrote:
<quoted text>FREE BIBLE STUDY OFFERED BY LOTS OF CHURCHES.
Look up "free home Bible study" on Google. You will find a HUGE number of non-JW groups
that offer what you claim is unique to JWs. I got 1,300,000 hits on that phrase and the vast majority
had nothing to do with JWs. After going through several search pages, the JWs were listed only once.
Amazing, huh? Another lie perpetrated by the JWs.

And the Watchtower get mega bucks from all over the world from all of their unpaid salesmen and women
tramping from door to door working unpaid slaves to a multi billion $$$ book publishing company in Brooklyn USA.
Speading false hope, false prophecy, and false teaching. What a scam.
THEY in fact PAY for working for this false religious band of crooks.
Paying to work

Lol

Since: Jun 13

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Matt9969 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that's what they all say, but too many jw's have been busted for any jw to be believable.
Would you trust a catholic priest if he said he knew no good catholic would ever protect a pedophile?
No answer yet.....maybe I should start a new thread with the question.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Matt9969 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that's what they all say, but too many jw's have been busted for any jw to be believable.
Would you trust a catholic priest if he said he knew no good catholic would ever protect a pedophile?
excellent question, no topix WT JW want to touch it, so why not start a new thread!!

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

To summarize this story the higher ups of the Jehovah's Witness had a meeting with the higher ups of the catholic church, and give each other notes.
unlisted

Mebane, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

Ben Franklin no too funny you see the catholic church is doing something about it. the organization is hiding it and denying they have the same problem. this is why more people have to put these crimes by jws in the paper.

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

unlisted wrote:
Ben Franklin no too funny you see the catholic church is doing something about it. the organization is hiding it and denying they have the same problem. this is why more people have to put these crimes by jws in the paper.
Maybe... But I doubt it. Such promises were made by Pope Benedict XVI the man who signed Crimen Sollicitationis, the document that made all child sex cases confidential. And just to top it off pope Francis is being asked to release confidential internal documents on the sex cases by the Geneva-based Committee on the Rights of the Child a part of the UN, but I'm still waiting for the news of a reply. Apparently a decision will be made next year, as if one needs a committee to decide wherever or not to help the police help kids!
If, and I mean if, the new pope releases these documents then I will say "yes!!! Mr Francis you glorious B*****!!!" but not before.

As for the joke itself I can't believe I going to have to explain it to you. The tactics used by the elders are the same as the tactics used by the catholic church, in court with incriminating knowledge of your underlings acts? Say it's your God give duty to speck of nothing of what happens in a confession, and stick your ground like your life depends on because it does. Ignore any and all things involving public interest and child safety and keep quiet. It's uncanny, it's as if these to church's did look at each others notes and hence the joke.
P.S. Thanks for making me ruin it.

Since: Feb 07

RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Arkham Bravo wrote:
It's unconscionable that elders tasked with protecting the congregation would be so uncooperative with the police.
The story or investigation does not go into detail about their motives. But I suspect their actions were influenced by their leaders in Brooklyn, which mandates that any case of sexual abuse be reported to their special department right away.
A secondary issue are the elders hiding behind the Seal of the Confessional, a trick used over and over by the Catholic Church.
While the JWs claim not to have a clergy/laity distinction, they have no problems pretending they do when it is convenient for them.
Disgusting!
Protect the organization at all costs.

Since: Jul 13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

You do not know what you are talking about, you only want to get on the bandwagon that is bad mouthing the witnesses, not this one man.
I know for a fact, no Jehovah's witness, and especially an elder would protect anyone who is guilty of a crime, especially molesting a child.
With all do respect, I was molested by an elders son when I was 11 yrs old. The son was 19. Because I had no witness the issue was overlooked and nothing was ever done. So how do you know for a fact? And again I mean no disrespect to you
Lol

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Why are you falling back on propaganda statements after you were proven to be wrong about JW's protecting child abusers? That is not a behavior that is approved by God, is it?

AND - JW's are NOT the only religion doing preaching work out there. Take off your Watchtower approved blinders.
Lol

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

xjw-justventing wrote:
<quoted text>
With all do respect, I was molested by an elders son when I was 11 yrs old. The son was 19. Because I had no witness the issue was overlooked and nothing was ever done. So how do you know for a fact? And again I mean no disrespect to you
That's a terrible thing to have happened to you. I'm sorry that you were treated that way after being abused.

It DOES happen and the JW's on this forum are either liars or ignorant of how things work in their congregations if they deny it.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Lol wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a terrible thing to have happened to you. I'm sorry that you were treated that way after being abused.
It DOES happen and the JW's on this forum are either liars or ignorant of how things work in their congregations if they deny it.
I knew you didn't go nowhere.

Since: Jul 13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Lol wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Lol. And what is really unfortunate is that I blocked it out because I had no one to protect me. No parents or no one in the organization. I started to think it was my fault. but I grew up and I now I know better. They didn't care and they covered it up and it was wrong
Lol

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

xjw-justventing wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Lol. And what is really unfortunate is that I blocked it out because I had no one to protect me. No parents or no one in the organization. I started to think it was my fault. but I grew up and I now I know better. They didn't care and they covered it up and it was wrong
I'm glad to know that you are in a better place now.

Of course it was never your fault. And yes, they were very wrong for covering up for the abuser and leaving you to deal with it on your own.

Children are not safe in that religion for the very reasons you stated.
Marie

Poway, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

BUDGIE wrote:
Quote from the news article --sunderland echo....
""####Judge Moreland said:“It is apparent that the three elders who were present when this conversation took place are in possession of relevant evidence as to a point which is of real significance in this case.
“They claim the right of confidentiality, they claim that what they heard said by the defendant during the course of that meeting ought to be subject to privilege, as ministers of religion.”
Judge Moreland refused to withdraw the summonses and said:“Public interest is clearly in favour of this evidence being given.
“What was said by the defendant on that occasion is of great significance in the trial.”
Despite the judge’s ruling, the men still refused to make statements to police until just hours before they were called before the jury."""###
Where is the New article please and thank you. NO THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR FROM AND ELDER/S is totally not within reason therefore is wish to see proof.
BUDGIE

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Marie wrote:
<quoted text>Where is the New article please and thank you. NO THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR FROM AND ELDER/S is totally not within reason therefore is wish to see proof.
http://www.sunderlandecho.com/ news/crime/jehovah-s-witnesses -hushed-up-child-sex-scandal-1 -5858460
BUDGIE

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

News article in the sunderland echo last week but link dosen't seem to work now .. Can anyone help Marie find the right link , thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 60 of79
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••