Lewis County chairman apologizes for trail coordinator computer access, suggests policy

Apr 3, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Watertown Daily Times

Lewis County's Board of Legislators chairman has apologized for his part in allowing the fired trails coordinator access to his old computer last week and recommended developing a policy to help ensure it doesn't happen again.

Comments
1 - 20 of 22 Comments Last updated Apr 18, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tolerance is a Virtue

Cary, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

His guy is the only one with integrity --
“It shouldn't have happened to begin with,” said Legislator Paul M. Stanford, D-Watson, who raised the issue after hearing about it Friday.

How much of their questionable judgement are we supposed to take? Please remember these name next time you exercise your right to vote --

After consulting with Mr. Tabolt and county attorney Richard J. Graham, Mr. Pendergast said Mr. Diehl was allowed to go to his former office while accompanied by a member of the county’s information technology staff ...
Former Trail Coordinator Robert C. Diehl, whom legislators fired in February for alleged misconduct, requested access to logos and posters he had developed and pictures he had taken, said County Manager David H. Pendergast, attending his final regular board meeting before his April 30 retirement.

So, the IT guys admits he was there "the majority" of the time. Wonder what Diehl got to delete during the time the IT guys wasn't there?

This is so crooked.
Nose Trouble

Carthage, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

Under your name, it says "Cary, NC". If you are from North Carolina, what business is it of yours?
legislators are crooks

Boonville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

they let him get to his computer so he could earse things that would expose croupt legislators , the legis. have done things like this for years, and get away it, they are spending OUR MONEY on their needs and wants...they are always saying well that should not of happen but it did, what happen to the ethics committe???what a joke!!! oh by the way thank you legis. for taking away a vital part of our needs the mental health service, oh yes and we have the highest umemployment rate what are you doing about that,????? nothing , you are just making sure your pockets are full with your rest/bar for the snow season, and say hell with us tax payers.
Tolerance is a Virtue

Cary, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

Why didn't the LEOs confiscate Deihl's computer?

Any place else it would be considered evidence.

(CROOKED)
amazed

Boonville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

The only thing he is sorry for is he got caught! They should all go to jail. They are all losers!
WDT

Carthage, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

amazed wrote:
The only thing he is sorry for is he got caught! They should all go to jail. They are all losers!
That is for sure. Also consider the new County building on the hill. That is another reason to send them all to jail. What a fiasco! This week, I read of the building of another monstrous albatross onto the hospital to do kidney dialysis when it is already available in Utica/Rome and in Watertown. The funds are not there. They are hoping for grants. Ha! The state and federal governments are broke! Other hospitals are getting out of dialysis because they can't profit from it. If they can't, why does Lowville think it can? A small county of 25,000 is going to get stuck with more taxes to pay for a few who could get that service by going just a few more miles--a few more minutes down the road. That's the entitlement society for you: give me everything and every convenience and to hell with what's good for everybody else! Soon, we'll all be broke!
No Integrity

Glenfield, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Judged:

No one on that Board has an ounce of integrity...they are all self-serving and should be replaced. We need to start from the top and move on down the line....
Tolerance is a Virtue

Cary, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Judged:

Stanford brought this forward, I thought this was was a gutsy move on his part. He could have just played it safe and not followed up on the initial tip.

I would like to see more of this behavior than the sneaky stuff that never gets out. People should be held accountable for their actions and decisions.
former student

Carthage, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Judged:

Trails, trails, trails.....13% unemployment and our county does nothing but put our money into trail creation(usually illegal) as economic development. It was no oversight when they let Diehl have access to his computer. Take an empty plant and turn it into a call center or somethng that will create year-round jobs. Also, why didn't they try and buy St. Peters school when they found out BOCES was interested. Buy the school in Cville and use it. 11 million dollars and climbing. Our county is a joke but not a funny joke. Let's find candidates for each town, vote them in and take back our County.
profit prophet

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

WDT wrote:
<quoted text>
That is for sure. Also consider the new County building on the hill. That is another reason to send them all to jail. What a fiasco! This week, I read of the building of another monstrous albatross onto the hospital to do kidney dialysis when it is already available in Utica/Rome and in Watertown. The funds are not there. They are hoping for grants. Ha! The state and federal governments are broke! Other hospitals are getting out of dialysis because they can't profit from it. If they can't, why does Lowville think it can? A small county of 25,000 is going to get stuck with more taxes to pay for a few who could get that service by going just a few more miles--a few more minutes down the road. That's the entitlement society for you: give me everything and every convenience and to hell with what's good for everybody else! Soon, we'll all be broke!
the chance to have a local accessable dialysis unit, and you're questioning profitablity? how 'bout you make regular life or death trips to Utica and Watertown though a few white outs down 12 or better yet across 177 to 81 weekly during the winter; then get back to us....
amazed

Boonville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

profit prophet wrote:
<quoted text>
the chance to have a local accessable dialysis unit, and you're questioning profitablity? how 'bout you make regular life or death trips to Utica and Watertown though a few white outs down 12 or better yet across 177 to 81 weekly during the winter; then get back to us....
so everyone else should have to pay for the benefit of a few? I work ahd pay Lewis counties already high taxes. Yet I have no health insurance of my own. It's not even funny that I have to pay for other people health care while I can't even afford my own.
Happy

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

The Kidney Dialysis Unit will not make money. That is a well known fact. It is not about the money and more about the community the hospital serves. Kuddos to them for forging ahead with this much needed service even though times are tough. This has been in the plans for a very long time and I for one, am glad to see it coming to fruition.
Donald Fowler

Gouverneur, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

You people are one big pack of STUPID SOB's. They already have a copy of Diehl's computer so he couldn't delete anthing. Scond when a person is let go they are allowed to retrieve thier personnal property. He was never allowed to do that up to this point.

The choice was allow him agreeable access or end up in court. This was the right thing to do and this Sanford AHOLE was just trying to make a big deal out of nothing.
Tolerance is a Virtue

Cary, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

"They already have a copy of Diehl's computer so he couldn't delete anything."

Come on, people don't go around making "copies" of other peoples' computers! That is a stretch. Whoever told you that was telling you a story.

The LEOss don't make copies, they confiscate computers if they had the foresight and they wanted the evidence.

Plus, Diehl wasn't supervised by anyone with any authority when he went in and "retrieved" his personal effects. Even the IT guy came clean and said he didn't watch him the whole time.

Things aren't looking good for this guy, Diehl or Mr. Tabolt or Richard J. Graham or Mr. Pendergast or anyone else that gave him the OK to fool around with the COUNTY's computer after he had charges brought against him and was FIRED.

It was fortunate that Stanford brought this to the attention of the proper authorities. Good for him, lucky for us!
Your CLUELESS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

amazed wrote:
<quoted text>
so everyone else should have to pay for the benefit of a few? I work ahd pay Lewis counties already high taxes. Yet I have no health insurance of my own. It's not even funny that I have to pay for other people health care while I can't even afford my own.
Lewis County already high taxes ?
Really ?
I move to Lewis County 21 years ago , one reason it's LOW TAXES !
try living in Oneida County.
or any other county around us.
It beautiful here ! try living in a city !
People just need to remember where they are from.
stop complaining , this guy did the right thing bring this out into the open.
the Hospital is doing the right thing for people not money !
You don't see that in the cities either !
Now try and be nice !
amazed

Boonville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

I don't know where you lived in oneida county? but, I own a house just outside of Rome that I rent out and my taxes are half of what I pay for my house here in Lewis county. You sound like either a politician or someone who doesn't own any property. I have lived in this county my entire life and the government here has always loved to spend money. If the people who are going to be using the dialysis machines are going to be paying their own bill then i'm all for it. But, if its going to be used by people who expect others to pay their way then I'm against it. If you want to pay for their treatment. Then donate all your spare money so some of the rest of us can keep ours. Who do you think is going to pay for all the stuff the legislators want to buy. 3 million for a computer upgrade at the hospital. 11 million for a new office building. up to 18 million dollars for the county ems radio system. The county only has 27000 people in it. you figure it out.
Getitright

Carthage, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Happy wrote:
The Kidney Dialysis Unit will not make money. That is a well known fact. It is not about the money and more about the community the hospital serves. Kuddos to them for forging ahead with this much needed service even though times are tough. This has been in the plans for a very long time and I for one, am glad to see it coming to fruition.
Ah hell---lets start doing open heart surgery in Lowville so folks won't have to drive a few miles in bad weather!!
Lewis County has more than enough bleeding heart retards with their heads stuck up their rear! Get a life---we can't afford all this crap, you morons.
GreatJob

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

It is my understanding that the kidney dialysis unit will be funded through a grant and that it will be run by a national company who will in turn pay rent to the hospital. In short, the hospital will be providing the space, but the rest will be funded or under the management of a company called DaVita (sp?). In the end it will not cost the taxpayers money but will bring a much needed service to Lewis County. Good luck to all who are involved in this endeavor. It is a huge undertaking, but with the help of the community it is becoming a reality.
clueless

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

profit prophet wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree and many have to go to dialysis more than once a week. sometimes 3 or 4 times. I think the taxpayer who has no insurance wouldn't like it if he had to drive or ride that far for dialysis. Who's to say they won't make money. They pay for transport of many Nursing home patients, a nurse and driver to take these people to Watertown or Utica. So it's still going to effect you mr. taxpayer.
clueless

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Donald Fowler wrote:
You people are one big pack of STUPID SOB's. They already have a copy of Diehl's computer so he couldn't delete anthing. Scond when a person is let go they are allowed to retrieve thier personnal property. He was never allowed to do that up to this point.
The choice was allow him agreeable access or end up in court. This was the right thing to do and this Sanford AHOLE was just trying to make a big deal out of nothing.
Well Mr. Fowler, when you are fired for misusing public money, I don't think that you should be allowed to retrieve photos, logos and planning or whatever else he thought he should have. That was supposed to be his "WORK" computer and part of his job. He has no right to take anything from the computer and anyone who allowed it should also face the consequences. If you got fired for using your computer at work on your bosses time, consider it work related you can't claim it as personal property. I retired from my job and had been on sick leave. My office packed up all my "Personal belongings" and my husband picked them up. But I guess I should have been able to get my notebooks that I bought and had work information and notes in it as they were my personal books, but I let the next person have them. get a grip. It was wrong to let him back to have access to any computers. Why didn't the IT person get a list of Items he wanted and made him a disk? He needed to get in there and cover up for Mr. Lucas who goes behind legislators backs and tells someone to go ahead on a project that has been turned down by the Legislators. I hope someone in every district votes in someone new even if they have to write in someone. I do think a very few try to listen to the public but half of them could care less about the people they represent or people in other districts but county residents.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Emerging Liberal Oligarchy (Feb '09) 9 min swedenforever 57
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... 15 min Frankie Rizzo 376
Former police officer appeals termination 27 min WARRIOR 19
Powerful Photos Blast The Media's Portrayal Of ... 32 min Chris 221
Defiant Gov. Perry rejects 'outrageous' indictment 3 hr californio 123
Reading the warning signs of domestic violence 3 hr NO BAIL FOR CHRIS 2
GOP Shies Away From Obamacare Repeal 4 hr CZars_R_US 3
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••