walter spivey charged with assault on...

walter spivey charged with assault on roy denton

There are 18 comments on the daytonherald.net story from Jun 20, 2013, titled walter spivey charged with assault on roy denton. In it, daytonherald.net reports that:

Walter Spivey of Dayton, TN was served with a Criminal Summons by the Rhea County Sheriff's Department for the criminal charge of "Physical Contact Assault". Spivey was booked into the Rhea County Jail June 19, 2013. According to information, Spivey assaulted Roy Denton, who has been dubbed the "unofficial Dayton City Videographer", as he was using his video camera to record various people on a public side walk after video recording the June Dayton City Council Meeting. According to Spivey, "we can go to court and if it goes to jury they're going to find me innocent, a judge is going to find me innocent", as stated in the video clip below. (see video below) According to Denton, a former Rhea County Constable, "Spivey can say anything he wants but he is not above the law. No one is. However, based upon how Spivey called for Dayton Police Chief Chris Sneed and then hit me as Sneed was approaching him and Sneed refusing to arrest him for assault against my pleas to do so, then maybe he is above the law. Either way, I'm ready to play ball", Denton said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at daytonherald.net.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#1 Jun 20, 2013
The man that broke my husband's nose. Even though Roy was unable to get a police report, because it was the Chief of Police, Chris Sneed, that saw the assault and did nothing about it, Roy was able to get a summons by requesting that our County Circuit Court Clerk view the video. Upon viewing the video he found probable cause and promptly wrote out the Summons, had Roy swear to its truth, and the sheriff department then served the Summons on Mr. Spivey, which then required him to present himself to the sheriff department, be fingerprinted, and have his mugshot taken. He now too has a court date for assault against my husband. The only luxury Mr. Spivey got was that he did not have to be arrested, put in jail, and bond out. Thank God Roy had his video camera and it was running. The Chief of Police refused to do anything about it when the assault occurred, and in fact, arrested my husband when he went inside the building to report to those in the chain of command higher than the chief himself. The chief promptly arrested Roy at that point for Disorderly Conduct where he was then arrested, hauled to jail like a criminal, and booked in, wherein I then had to bond him out. Had it not been for the video and the Circuit Court Clerk's willingness to view the video, Roy would not even begin to be getting some sort of justice at this point. Because the city would not enforce the law as Chief Sneed himself had every opportunity to do so as he was right there when it happened. The sheriff's department deputy told Roy that he was not going to even watch the video. Roy has just overcome the first hurdle to justice. He was refused a police report, but was successful in obtaining a summons. The man has been charged and now we await the court date.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
The Spit

Cleveland, TN

#2 Jun 20, 2013
And we all give a big shit,

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#3 Jun 20, 2013
There will be people that will absolutely hate this comment and I am sorry, I cannot help how you feel. At this point, I can only go by how I feel. We are all entitled to our opinions and we all should be free to express them, be free to be ourselves, but in reality, some are not entirely free to be themselves in this community. I have been respectful in my comments and simply stated how I feel about the way I see things and I realize my view of this is going to differ from others and I'm just going to tell those of you that it does not matter for you are not in my shoes. For those of you that offer support and even can attempt to view this incident objectively, and comment respectively, I appreciate it. Other than these comments, that is all I am going to further comment about it. Either people will step up and do the right thing, or they simply will not. It is all there to see, like it or not, accept it or not, but nonetheless all of this has happened and the turning of heads on this matter will only make it worse. I will not debate this with anyone anonymously. This is merely a tool to get our story heard and hopefully people will open their eyes and look both ways, not just to one side like it so often happens here. I'm done. No further comment.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Danger-Prone

Cleveland, TN

#4 Jun 20, 2013
Well what are you all hoping to accomplish from this and what is your expectations to be done?
maybe

Dayton, TN

#5 Jun 20, 2013
I think the Dentons are just trying to make trouble out of something Roy started to begin with!

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#6 Jun 21, 2013
If something like this can happen to me, a very outspoken, rather opinionated person who is extremely well versed in the law, who knows my constitutional rights and how to assert those rights that we ALL have, then how are people that aren't so outspoken, not very opinionated, not versed in law or perhaps not even know what the Bill of Rights is being treated?

I believe the poorest man on the planet can have just as much integrity, just as many dreams, hopes and aspirations as the richest man on the planet. God made a dog to be a dog. God made a cat to be a cat. Got made us all in His image yet gave us all our choices of free will.

My expectations are that justice will prevail as it must. If we lose our trust in the expectation of a fair and equal judicial system, then "expectations" of any of us are invalidated.
awesome

Chattanooga, TN

#7 Jun 21, 2013
We the people need to know that the law will protect us. This whole situation has, to some degree, shaken my faith in that law. If I am not someone important will the law still protect me? What if the person that wrongs me is better connected then I? Is there truly justice for "the little guy"? If my opinions are unpopular will I be treated equally? I shouldn't have to ask these questions.
What a Shame

Dayton, TN

#8 Jun 21, 2013
awesome wrote:
We the people need to know that the law will protect us. This whole situation has, to some degree, shaken my faith in that law. If I am not someone important will the law still protect me? What if the person that wrongs me is better connected then I? Is there truly justice for "the little guy"? If my opinions are unpopular will I be treated equally? I shouldn't have to ask these questions.
Same here, I actually had very little confidence in the law enforcement in the city/county, and after seeing what the Dayton city police chief Chris Sneed has done by turning his head to a vicious assault & refusing to do nothing to help has sickened me. If you are not a kin to the chief, if you are not a somebody in this county but a simple nobody then God help us all when if in the event we need the help of the ones who are suppose to protect us. Is it ok to rob a bank? Is it ok to go get revenge on an enemy we may have by assaulting them? Far be it if any of us little guys ask for help or complain that someone has wronged us, would we then be disorderly? If this man gets away with what he has done, then God will have to help us all because then will there be no hope for any of us at all?
brother

Cleveland, TN

#9 Jun 21, 2013
sneed needs to grow a pair..he knows who butters his bread
oldy

Cleveland, TN

#10 Jun 21, 2013
best part of sneed ran down the crack of his mamas ...and ended up as a brown stain on the matress
sameolesong

Statesville, NC

#11 Jun 21, 2013
Can you people change songs are you that jealous and hung up on the sneeds, my God get a life you bunch of losers. Everyone one on here I am sure that is downing the sneeds have done nothing to contribute to society. This record is broke change stations please.
song bird

Cleveland, TN

#12 Jun 21, 2013
I don't see a single comment downing the Sneeds just comments about Chris Sneed watching a man punch another man then arresting the man that got punched.Dont sound like jealousy to me.Sounds like people sick of this double standard around here.
Tit For Tat

Cleveland, TN

#13 Jun 23, 2013
Looks like there wouldn't be a good fight in Ole' Spivey!
in shock

Cleveland, TN

#14 Sep 6, 2013
I hate to hear about this whole situation because I personally know all three men. I have known then all for many many years. Chris Sneed may not be perfect but he is a man that isnt afraid to ruffle some feathers to make sure every one is following the law. If i needed any law enforcement office in this county i would want him to be the one that comes. Roy has always stood up and never backed down from a fight no matter if he is right or wrong. He has been very outspoken on his believes and on his rights. Walt Spivey is an amazing man of God who is quite spoken very respectful man! I have never heard him speak a ill word against anyone ever! This is so very shocking to me because its against everything i know about walt. Its obvious there is alot more to this story because everyone that knows this man knows that he wouldnt hurt anyone ever unless he felt threatened in some way. i pray the truth prevails in this situation.
Tube View

Dayton, TN

#15 Sep 6, 2013
in shock wrote:
I hate to hear about this whole situation because I personally know all three men. I have known then all for many many years. Chris Sneed may not be perfect but he is a man that isnt afraid to ruffle some feathers to make sure every one is following the law. If i needed any law enforcement office in this county i would want him to be the one that comes. Roy has always stood up and never backed down from a fight no matter if he is right or wrong. He has been very outspoken on his believes and on his rights. Walt Spivey is an amazing man of God who is quite spoken very respectful man! I have never heard him speak a ill word against anyone ever! This is so very shocking to me because its against everything i know about walt. Its obvious there is alot more to this story because everyone that knows this man knows that he wouldnt hurt anyone ever unless he felt threatened in some way. i pray the truth prevails in this situation.
The truth always prevails and it was all caught on video. Watch the video.
Curious

Cleveland, TN

#16 Sep 7, 2013
How do we watch the video? I want to see it. Can you post a link?
barbara

Cleveland, TN

#17 Sep 7, 2013
Seen the video back when it first happened.Did not see anyone get hit in the nose.Bunch of cry babies sounds like to me.
found video

Dayton, TN

#18 Sep 7, 2013
I never saw any video either but search you tube for walt spivey and found 2 videos. Looks like there is 2 of them because at the very last part of the first video you can see Walt calling for Chris Sneed then you can see Walt hit the man with the camera very hard. The second video must be after it happened and things got crazy. I have known Walt for over 40 years and never known him to ever been in any sort of trouble. I saw Carley Dean in the first video and he has since told me Walt was with them at the council meeting and they all were pretty upset because of the gaither homes next to theirs. Probly what set Walt off. Here is the video I found.

No.2 https://www.youtube.com/watch...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News California sues Trump administration over sanct... 1 hr Rico from East Lo... 12
News Nunn receives 20-year sentence 1 hr Fred 2
News Two more arrested in fatal Allentown home invas... 4 hr weaponX 3
News Suspended Terre Haute police officer pleads gui... 6 hr Dont be naive 13
News US court rules Arkansas can block Planned Paren... 8 hr Red Crosse 21
News Two face cocaine charges, one faces deportation 10 hr Hundreds of mill ... 8
News Report: Higher premiums if Trump halts 'Obamaca... 15 hr inbred Genius 59
More from around the web