Intoxicated Mother Forgets Baby On Car Roof And Drives Away [Car Crime]

Jun 3, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Jalopnik

A 19 year old mother is being charged with child abuse and aggravated DUI charges after she drove home with her 5 week old child strapped in a car seat on the roof early Saturday morning.

Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Jul 1, 2012

“All gave some,some gave all.”

Since: Jun 11

PCB

#1 Jun 3, 2012
Praying for the mother and child.

PCB

#2 Jun 3, 2012
A Phoenix, Ariz., woman put her 5-week-old baby on top of her car in his car seat and drove away, apparently forgetting he was there, not even noticing when the seat fell off the car and landed in an intersection, police said.

Neighbors discovered the baby on the roadway, still strapped to his safety seat, which was lying on its side. Luckily, the baby was unhurt.

The baby's mother, 19-year-old Catalina Clouser, who allegedly had been smoking marijuana, was arrested and charged with aggravated driving under the influence and child abuse, police said.

"We believe that whatever she was under the influence of was the deciding factor in what did happen to this child and we're extremely happy that for the baby this turned out well and the baby is going to be OK," Officer James Holmes of the Phoenix Police Depart said.

Clauser, her boyfriend and their friends had been smoking marijuana earlier in the evening at a nearby park, but the boyfriend was arrested on suspicion of aggravated DUI when they went to a store - with the baby in the car - to get beer, according to police.

Upset that her boyfriend was arrested, police said, Clauser went to a friend's home and smoked more marijuana.

Clauser left around midnight and apparently put the sleeping baby on the roof of the car and drove off, forgetting he was there, and continued driving after the baby fell off the car, Holmes said.

Leilani Gerlach, a homeowner who lives across from the intersection, notified police after she and another neighbor saw the baby in the car seat on the street.

"We were both rolling our eyes in astonishment that someone could forget their baby," Gerlach said. "The car seat was turned to the side so anyone passing by wouldn't be able to tell there was an actual baby inside. Thank god they stopped."

After police arrived, two people walked up and told them the baby was Clausen's. As the officers talked to the two, who identified themselves as friends of Clausen and her boyfriend, the young mother drove up, police said.

"[She] had gotten into her car, set the baby seat on top of the car and forgot that the child was up there. It does not appear that immediately she realized what happened," Holmes said. "I think that perhaps she got where she was going and realized that she did not have the baby in the car."

"There was damage to the car seat, it was scraped but there was no damage to the child," Holmes said.

The baby is now in custody of Child Protective Services.
losing it

Willcox, AZ

#3 Jun 3, 2012
I just don't get it, I never put my children on top of the car, and I never take the car seat out of the car. (it's to hard to strap them things in) And if something fell off my car i'm gonna hear and feel it. Maybe this is all a blessing in disguise. So glad that baby is ok. as for the mother... I hope this wakes her up.

PCB

#5 Jun 4, 2012
losing it wrote:
I just don't get it, I never put my children on top of the car, and I never take the car seat out of the car.(it's to hard to strap them things in) And if something fell off my car i'm gonna hear and feel it. Maybe this is all a blessing in disguise. So glad that baby is ok. as for the mother... I hope this wakes her up.
Im sure it was a wake up call.Im just so glad the child survived.
This could have ended so badly.There are so many young people drinking and doing drugs these days.Maybe it will be a wake up call for other young people as well.
losing it

Willcox, AZ

#7 Jun 7, 2012
Homeless Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
This could have ended so badly.There are so many young people drinking and doing drugs these days.Maybe it will be a wake up call for other young people as well.
I hope so. There is just so much of this child endangerment going on lately. Where are the grand parents? So Sad. I am praying for this child and her mom.

PCB

#8 Jun 8, 2012
losing it wrote:
<quoted text> I hope so. There is just so much of this child endangerment going on lately. Where are the grand parents? So Sad. I am praying for this child and her mom.
Would you also pray for the little boy that gave my father and I 10 dollars today?We were walking to the bus to go to the VA and a child was hanging out the rear window of the family car.I wanted to ask where they went to church.But all I could get out was a God bless you.This happen near cardal lane in Paducah.Ky.

Phoenix, AZ

#9 Jun 8, 2012
Homeless Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you also pray for the little boy that gave my father and I 10 dollars today?We were walking to the bus to go to the VA and a child was hanging out the rear window of the family car.I wanted to ask where they went to church.But all I could get out was a God bless you.This happen near cardal lane in Paducah.Ky.
I guess I must be stupid, but I am taking this as the little boy gave you a 10 dollar bill, you were walking to your bus, were you asking for the money? So, if you have no money that you have to beg from children, how do you own a computer? Just asking. It makes no sense to me. Ever think of writing novels??

PCB

#10 Jun 8, 2012
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess I must be stupid, but I am taking this as the little boy gave you a 10 dollar bill, you were walking to your bus, were you asking for the money? So, if you have no money that you have to beg from children, how do you own a computer? Just asking. It makes no sense to me. Ever think of writing novels??
No I wasnt asking for money,I was taking my father who is also a veteran to the va.I learned along time ago that God blesses the giver and reciever.Some people see need and do something about fixing the situation.You not knowing us wouldnt understand what we are going through.

PCB

#12 Jun 9, 2012
thaught wrote:
<quoted text> I think the soldiers in the military are a bunch of sissies. You never heard WWI or WWII or even Korean and Viet vets bitch about mental disorders and try to collect full disability. Over 50 percent of the returning soldiers are claiming 9-11 qualifying "disorders" each so they can get disability. I appreciate you in the military, but a four year stint should not be a life time check. There are also so many more resources out there for you than in previous times. Call up wounded warrior, Vet to Vet etc...and they will pay for your housing, food and whatever else. There is absolutely no excuse to be begging or holding a sign requesting money.
When did you serve?

Phoenix, AZ

#15 Jun 9, 2012
thaught wrote:
<quoted text> I think the soldiers in the military are a bunch of sissies. You never heard WWI or WWII or even Korean and Viet vets bitch about mental disorders and try to collect full disability. Over 50 percent of the returning soldiers are claiming 9-11 qualifying "disorders" each so they can get disability. I appreciate you in the military, but a four year stint should not be a life time check. There are also so many more resources out there for you than in previous times. Call up wounded warrior, Vet to Vet etc...and they will pay for your housing, food and whatever else. There is absolutely no excuse to be begging or holding a sign requesting money.
Amen, brother! they don't have a clue!
Here goes

New York, NY

#16 Jun 25, 2012
geeze, unreal

Phoenix, AZ

#17 Jun 25, 2012
A homeless Veteran, a man or woman who is a veteran and is homeless, chooses to be just that. There are more darn programs out there for veterans than anything. Try getting a job.
Pinky

United States

#18 Jun 25, 2012
"Dude, where's my kid?"

PCB

#19 Jun 25, 2012
Guest wrote:
A homeless Veteran, a man or woman who is a veteran and is homeless, chooses to be just that. There are more darn programs out there for veterans than anything. Try getting a job.
You would think veterans get great care....You should ask a few.
And dont worry im trying to find a job.
thinkaboutit

Mesa, AZ

#20 Jul 1, 2012
Homeless Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
sorry This One is a wake up in Jail with no get out a Jail card things like This is WHY And How they justify New controling laws don,t you see now drones are supposibly being justified And what about the people eater attack. Now look around theirs much more.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Powerful Photos Blast The Media's Portrayal Of ... 35 min alan p 240
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... 52 min Frankie Rizzo 558
How to Talk About Trayvon (Jul '13) 2 hr Crazy not Lazy 4
Registered Child Abuser Is Arrested 2 hr Wtf 1
New challenge for HealthCare.gov: Tax forms 3 hr RustyS 1
SW Va. girl, 3, eats meth, mother charged (Feb '14) 3 hr mustang10 40
Santa Ayala: Should she stay or should she go? (Oct '13) 4 hr Sir Samuel 23
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••