Would an assault weapons ban work?

There are 20 comments on the The Washington Post story from Dec 17, 2012, titled Would an assault weapons ban work?. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

When Adam Lanza shot 26 people in Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday, he used a Bushmaster AR-15 , a popular style of semiautomatic rifle that can rapidly fire multiple high-velocity rounds, according to law enforcement officials.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#3794 Feb 11, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Cite the alleged "updated reports," or admit you're wrong/lying.
He used two semi-automatic pistols, a Glock and Sig Sauer, and reportedly wiped out an entire classroom of young children and shot several in a second class before taking his own life.

Witnesses say Adam Lanza was going from room-to-room shooting people after first killing the principal Dawn Hochsprung and psychologist execution-style after they confronted him in the hallway.

Parents who have not been united with their children are assuming the worst. One witness told WCBS:ďPolice just told us everyone presumed missing is in the school and they are dead.Ē

Students described being ushered from their classrooms hand-in-hand, with their eyes closed, to the safety of a nearby fire station as police converged on the school.

Adam Lanzaís brother Ryan, 24, who was originally thought to have been the shooter, is being questioned by police after he was arrested at his home in Hoboken, New Jersey.

Read more: http://www.bellenews.com/2012/12/15/world/us-...
Say the Truth

Eatontown, NJ

#3795 Feb 11, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't own a fully-auto ANYTHING without filling out a LOT of paperwork, genius.
Modern definition of assault rifle is a 'semi-automatic, military style rifle-type weapon.' It's an imitation of a military weapon, intended to give the semi-impotent NRA member owning it a major boner.:)
No, idiot, that is the LEFTIST GUN GRABBER definition.
Say the Truth

Eatontown, NJ

#3796 Feb 11, 2013
Melman68 wrote:
<quoted text>
I absolutely agree with you. It is very obvious who and what barefoot2626 is. Any reply is a total waste of time and effort but it is quite sad that any group of people in this country could be as misguided, brainwashed and ugly as they are.
Barebrains and duh Protester are self-hating gays.
Say the Truth

Eatontown, NJ

#3797 Feb 11, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Like many righties, he's concerned this his "gun" is too small or of "poor quality."
I feel bad for 'em, really I do. A good shrink could probably help...:)
"RULE 5:ďRidicule is manís most potent weapon.Ē There is no defense. Itís irrational. Itís infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions."
Say the Truth

Eatontown, NJ

#3798 Feb 11, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a liar and a bullshitter. He used the Bushmaster AR-15.
In fact, even RIGHT-wing sites know this is bullshit:
http://www.texasgopvote.com/issues/stop-big-g...
"I contacted the CT State Police for further clarification. Lt. Paul Vance told me the Bushmaster was, in fact, fired inside the school and used to kill all 26 people who died that day.
I asked Vance about the magazine capacity of the handguns that were found inside the school. He said he did not have that information, but confirmed that the shooter had numerous magazines with him inside the school.
It was very clear in speaking with him that they are frustrated with the rumors about this case and the manipulation of the tragedy for political purposes by both sides of the gun control debate."
"The Bushmaster AR-15 is an assault weapon, fool."

No it's not, fool.

Now apologize for your error.
Say the Truth

Eatontown, NJ

#3799 Feb 11, 2013
shitfoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Assault weapon.
"Denver has had an assault weapons ban in place for 23 years, an ordinance that has twice withstood court challenges and remains one of the toughest local gun laws in the state.
The ordinance bans the sale and possession of assault weapons, specifically firearms with "semiautomatic action" or that use detachable magazines with a capacity of 21 or more rounds.
The ordinance was introduced in the wake of growing gang activity in Denver and after several high-profile mass killings around the nation by gunmen using semiautomatic weapons. Also, in 1989, a man with a submachine gun killed two people and wounded three in Littleton.
"Assault weapons don't have any place in an urban environment," said City Councilwoman Cathy Reynolds, who sponsored the bill at the time. "They don't have any purpose but to blow people away, quickly and in large numbers."
Weapons banned include folding-stock and short-barrel semiautomatic rifles with magazines holding 21 or more rounds and semiautomatic shotguns capable of firing six rounds or more without reloading. The law also covers semiautomatic pistols that are modified rifles with firing capacity of 21 rounds or more, and semiautomatic pistols modified from rifles that have folding stocks or shortened barrels."
Funny, the "definition" doesn't include color or "military style (whatever that is)" design.

So a gun with a 20 round magazine is NOT an "assault weapon". It's that "silly bullet extra" that makes it one.

Thanks for clearing that up, jerkwad.
Say the Truth

Eatontown, NJ

#3800 Feb 11, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wipe you chin, donglicker.
It seems Colorado knows exactly what an assault weapon is.
1) It's a CITY OF DENVER daffynition.

2) Were you sexually abused as a child?
Say the Truth

Eatontown, NJ

#3801 Feb 11, 2013
shitfoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
And within three hours everyone is on the same page
Amazing "coincidence."
Say the Truth

Eatontown, NJ

#3802 Feb 11, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Idiotic cavil, which makes the rest of your post worthless. Your distinction is a meaningless one, and you have not acknowledged your previous error which I corrected.
Typical lying rightie gun-nut...
It's only "meaningless" when the facts don't support your leftist agenda.
Say the Truth

Eatontown, NJ

#3803 Feb 11, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
We have a f---ing clue that Americans are BEING MURDERED EVERY DAY, OFTEN EN MASSE.
Now what are you gunners going to DO about that? Nothing, as usual?
A number of things have been suggested, but since they don't support your leftist unilateral disarmament agenda, you call them "nothing."

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#3804 Feb 11, 2013
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>He used two semi-automatic pistols, a Glock and Sig Sauer, and reportedly wiped out an entire classroom of young children and shot several in a second class before taking his own life.
Witnesses say Adam Lanza was going from room-to-room shooting people after first killing the principal Dawn Hochsprung and psychologist execution-style after they confronted him in the hallway.
Parents who have not been united with their children are assuming the worst. One witness told WCBS:ďPolice just told us everyone presumed missing is in the school and they are dead.Ē
Students described being ushered from their classrooms hand-in-hand, with their eyes closed, to the safety of a nearby fire station as police converged on the school.
Adam Lanzaís brother Ryan, 24, who was originally thought to have been the shooter, is being questioned by police after he was arrested at his home in Hoboken, New Jersey.
Read more: http://www.bellenews.com/2012/12/15/world/us-...
You've already had this proven false, asshat. You won't listen to the goddam CT state police, you just search out claims that back your own twisted beliefs.

YOU are the one with the old news here, as is obvious from the comment about his brother having been thought the shooter and being questioned by cops.

HERE is more recent news, and from a CONSERVATIVE SITE:

http://www.redstate.com/2012/12/27/setting-th...

The media did a horrible job getting its facts and figures straight during and after the tragedy in Connecticut. Gun control advocates have seized on a lot of information and ignored a lot of information in an effort to push their agenda.

But Iím seeing gun rights supporters do the same. Most troubling, over the past week on radio filling in for Neal Boortz Iíve heard from dozens of callers, tweeters, Facebook friends, and email correspondents assuring me that Adam Lanza never used the AR-15 in his possession. Most people linked to a video purportedly showing the police retrieving the AR-15 from Adam Lanzaís car after the incident.

I donít blame these people for getting the facts wrong. The media caused a lot of the misinformation in their rush to cover the story. But as the nation begins to set policy (or not) based on this random act of violence, we should all have our facts straight.

The fact is, Adam Lanza used a handgun to take his own life, but he relied on the Bushmaster AR-15 to kill most of the victims. He did use that gun. You donít have to believe me. Believe Connecticut State Police Lt. Paul Vance:

"The primary weapon used in the attack was a 'Bushmaster AR-15 assault-type weapon,' said Connecticut State Police Lt. Paul Vance."

Now stop this nonsense right now and APOLOGIZE. YOU HAVE BEEN PROVEN WRONG.

“JESUS WOULD IMPEACH THE GOP!!!”

Since: May 09

Lake Success, N.Y.

#3805 Feb 11, 2013
Part of the manifesto lft behind bythe LAPD officer nw being sought;

If you had a well regulated AWB, this would not happen. The time is now to reinstitute a ban that will save lives. Why does any sportsman need a 30 round magazine for hunting? Why does anyone need a suppressor? Why does anyone need a AR15 rifle? This is the same small arms weapons system utilized in eradicating Al Qaeda, Taliban, and every enemy combatant since the Vietnam war. Donít give me that crap that its not a select fire or full auto rifle like the DoD uses. Thatís bullshit because troops who carry the M-4/M-16 weapon system for combat ops outside the wire rarely utilize the select fire function when in contact with enemy combatants. The use of select fire probably isnít even 1% in combat. So in essence, the AR-15 semiautomatic rifle is the same as the M-4/M-16. These do not need to be purchased as easily as walking to your local Walmart or striking the enter key on your keyboard to "add to cart". All the firearms utilized in my activities are registered to me and were legally purchased at gun stores and private party transfers. All concealable weapons (pistols) were also legally register in my name at police stations or FFL's. Unfortunately, are you aware that I obtained class III weapons (suppressors) without a background check thru NICS or DROS completely LEGALLY several times? I was able to use a trust account that I created on quicken will maker and a $10 notary charge at a mailbox etc. to obtain them legally. Granted, I am not a felon, nor have a DV misdemeanor conviction or active TRO against me on a NCIC file. I can buy any firearm I want, but should I be able to purchase these class III weapons (SBR's, and suppressors) without a background check and just a $10 notary signature on a quicken will maker program? The answer is NO. I'm not even a resident of the state i purchased them in. Lock n Load just wanted money so they allow you to purchase class III weapons with just a notarized trust, military ID. Shame on you, Lock n Load. NFA and ATF need new laws and policies that do not allow loopholes such as this. In the end, I hope that you will realize that the small arms I utilize should not be accessed with the ease that I obtained them. Who in there right mind needs a f------ silencer!!! who needs a freaking SBR AR15? No one. No more Virginia Tech, Columbine HS, Wisconsin temple, Aurora theatre, Portland malls, Tucson rally, Newtown Sandy Hook. Whether by executive order or thru a bi-partisan congress an assault weapons ban needs to be re-instituted. Period!!!

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Cop-R...

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#3806 Feb 11, 2013
looks like most people have stopped answering harveys rants, I guess arguing with a wooden indian has a better chance of success....once in a while, the indian is wrong, you can make progress

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#3807 Feb 11, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
looks like most people have stopped answering harveys rants, I guess arguing with a wooden indian has a better chance of success....once in a while, the indian is wrong, you can make progress
Actually, Georgia, they've probably stopped answering him because he's not posting here anymore.

To my knowledge, anyway. You probably imagine differently.:)

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#3808 Feb 11, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
You've already had this proven false, asshat. You won't listen to the goddam CT state police, you just search out claims that back your own twisted beliefs.
YOU are the one with the old news here, as is obvious from the comment about his brother having been thought the shooter and being questioned by cops.
HERE is more recent news, and from a CONSERVATIVE SITE:
http://www.redstate.com/2012/12/27/setting-th...
The media did a horrible job getting its facts and figures straight during and after the tragedy in Connecticut. Gun control advocates have seized on a lot of information and ignored a lot of information in an effort to push their agenda.
But Iím seeing gun rights supporters do the same. Most troubling, over the past week on radio filling in for Neal Boortz Iíve heard from dozens of callers, tweeters, Facebook friends, and email correspondents assuring me that Adam Lanza never used the AR-15 in his possession. Most people linked to a video purportedly showing the police retrieving the AR-15 from Adam Lanzaís car after the incident.
I donít blame these people for getting the facts wrong. The media caused a lot of the misinformation in their rush to cover the story. But as the nation begins to set policy (or not) based on this random act of violence, we should all have our facts straight.
The fact is, Adam Lanza used a handgun to take his own life, but he relied on the Bushmaster AR-15 to kill most of the victims. He did use that gun. You donít have to believe me. Believe Connecticut State Police Lt. Paul Vance:
"The primary weapon used in the attack was a 'Bushmaster AR-15 assault-type weapon,' said Connecticut State Police Lt. Paul Vance."
Now stop this nonsense right now and APOLOGIZE. YOU HAVE BEEN PROVEN WRONG.
The corners report isn't even out pookie. I'm sure the leftist are quoting what the White House version is supposed to be.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#3809 Feb 11, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Georgia, they've probably stopped answering him because he's not posting here anymore.
To my knowledge, anyway. You probably imagine differently.:)
i dunno, i put out the bait, and somebody keeps taking it....i guess a rat is a rat.

“WISDOM IS A GIFT”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#3810 Feb 11, 2013
There are no assault weapons.

“JESUS WOULD IMPEACH THE GOP!!!”

Since: May 09

Lake Success, N.Y.

#3811 Feb 11, 2013
FALCONER wrote:
There are no assault weapons.
From the cop being sought right now - who also served in the forces as well;

http://www.topix.com/forum/us/politics/TE737L...

“WISDOM IS A GIFT”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#3812 Feb 11, 2013
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
From the cop being sought right now - who also served in the forces as well;
http://www.topix.com/forum/us/politics/TE737L...
I don't click on the garbage you post.
I hope it takes a long time to catch the democrat being sought because it'll give him a chance to eliminate more democrats.
Wondering

San Diego, CA

#3813 Feb 11, 2013
Hell yes, with no more guns to buy people would then purchase fertilizer like Tim McVey do alot more damage than an assault weapons being used by 50 men.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay marriage foe's argument seems to leave Supr... 3 min NorCal Native 104
News Former police officer appeals termination (Aug '14) 1 hr CCAN 78
News Vacaville to pay $1.3 million over fatal police... 2 hr Ruffner 6
News Michelle Duggar Warns Arkansas Community That T... (Aug '14) 2 hr nongay 23
News Profile of a Pedophile: Does Michael Jackson fit? (Dec '08) 3 hr Sleepingboy 64,649
News 'Dispatch,' website win top honors in Ohio 4 hr Retired Cop 1
News Remains found in Lancaster - Sentinel & Enterprise (May '09) 4 hr Vinnie 17
More from around the web