Woman sues sheriff for alleged false ...

Woman sues sheriff for alleged false accusation, damages

There are 21 comments on the Newport Plain Talk story from Apr 24, 2013, titled Woman sues sheriff for alleged false accusation, damages. In it, Newport Plain Talk reports that:

Sheila K. Creveling, owner of a residence at 1443 River Chase Trail, in Newport, had an attorney file a civil lawsuit on her behalf on Thursday, April 18, that seeks a total of $90,000 in punitive and compensatory damages from Sheriff Armando Fontes because she was falsely accused of involvement in drug activity.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newport Plain Talk.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Curious

Franklin, NC

#1 Apr 24, 2013
Finally someone putting fontez in his place.
big dog

Clemmons, NC

#2 Apr 24, 2013
thank god he's maken cocke county broke he is the worse mexican people should thank twice before voteing him in again
Really

United States

#3 Apr 24, 2013
How much u wanna bet he will dig he's way outta this one..
Really

United States

#4 Apr 24, 2013
*His* ^^
newport

United States

#5 Apr 24, 2013
Anyone can file a civil suit. Maybe the landlord needs to screen her renters a little better and she wouldn't be in this situation. It was her renters, not the sheriff's, responsibility over the house. It amazing me that people could even believe she could win this suit. Of course he'll 'dig his way out of this' because it's a ludicrous accusation! People take responsibility for your actions....
Curious

Franklin, NC

#6 Apr 24, 2013
Well at least he knows now threatening to sue can come back to bite ya. Karma its a beautiful thing
GIMME A BREAK

Morristown, TN

#7 Apr 24, 2013
Curious wrote:
Well at least he knows now threatening to sue can come back to bite ya. Karma its a beautiful thing
Frivioulus, don't think so. She didn't have this and a lawyer and not able to back it up!! You just can't go into someones rented home and take their stuff without consequences. Just how many lawsuits has the 'great almighty' had since he has been in office? Does he actually think he is God almighty? Just because he is sheriff he can't 'break into and steal'! Just because one of his people needs a new t.v. Just how does he jusyify all the thefts he has committed? Thieves with badges!!!!!
Well

United States

#8 Apr 24, 2013
Curious wrote:
your so ignorant. He busted a pill dealer which was selling thousands of pills a month and your concerned about the law suit. What the crap. Your city police want get sued because they never leave the police department so I guess you have to pick on the sheriff department.
Curious

Franklin, NC

#9 Apr 24, 2013
I never said frivolous. And I am not ignorant. The landlord cannot be held responsible for what tennets do. So that makes you the ignorant one. Unless they have proof and fail to do anything about it. I'm glad they got another dealer.
Curious

Franklin, NC

#10 Apr 24, 2013
I have rental property. I don't think Ihave any dealers living in my places. But you can't always judge everyone.. Iwould certainely do something about it if Iknew that's what was going on.
bon Jovie

United States

#11 Apr 24, 2013
big dog wrote:
thank god he's maken cocke county broke he is the worse mexican people should thank twice before voteing him in again
He is a Cuban.
Duhhuh

Sevierville, TN

#12 Apr 25, 2013
Well wrote:
<quoted text>your so ignorant. He busted a pill dealer which was selling thousands of pills a month and your concerned about the law suit. What the crap. Your city police want get sued because they never leave the police department so I guess you have to pick on the sheriff department.
Keep on drinking the Kool -Aid. You will eventually see the real AF.
GIMME A BREAK

Morristown, TN

#13 Apr 25, 2013
Well wrote:
<quoted text>your so ignorant. He busted a pill dealer which was selling thousands of pills a month and your concerned about the law suit. What the crap. Your city police want get sued because they never leave the police department so I guess you have to pick on the sheriff department.
Why is the city police brought up every time Fontes screws up? Not talking about NPD, talking Fontes getting sued once again!!!
wow

Princeton, MN

#14 Apr 25, 2013
We can always tell the ones who get busted lol I hope your not a fine upstanding citizen. Which from your post you may be less than innocent.
eyes wide open

Tucker, GA

#15 Apr 30, 2013
newport wrote:
Anyone can file a civil suit. Maybe the landlord needs to screen her renters a little better and she wouldn't be in this situation. It was her renters, not the sheriff's, responsibility over the house. It amazing me that people could even believe she could win this suit. Of course he'll 'dig his way out of this' because it's a ludicrous accusation! People take responsibility for your actions....
if you have bothered to read the complaint the renter was screened by a real estate company in the state of Tennessee real estate agencies do not even have to run a credit check that is unheard of in most states you're damned if you do and damned if you don't it seems a landlord tries to do the right thing but there are no laws to protect them. I don't think this is a ludicrous lawsuit. why pay a great big price to a real estate agency if you want to screen the renters yourself or maybe just maybe you trusted them to protect you
eyes wide open

Tucker, GA

#16 Apr 30, 2013
newport wrote:
ignorance is not always bliss and yes I am referring to you. It appears that the plaintiff used a real estate company to rent her property if you go online and check out the real estate company requirements you will see they are not even required to run a credit check. It is fine in Tennessee but in other states it is a no no. why pay a rental company all those dollars to protect your interests when in fact you obviously could do a much better job yourself
And really before you post comments you should do your homework and by the way if he digs his way out of this one there really is no justice in Cocke County.
eyes wide open

Tucker, GA

#17 Apr 30, 2013
Curious wrote:
I have rental property. I don't think Ihave any dealers living in my places. But you can't always judge everyone.. Iwould certainely do something about it if Iknew that's what was going on.
I personally believe if you are out of state and the renter pays his rent you pretty much maybe do not know what is going on
eyes wide open

Tucker, GA

#18 Apr 30, 2013
I just went back and reread the article. It appears to me the prudent thing that the sheriff could have done was let his attorney answer this case the county attorney. what is sad is a civil litigation the plaintiff must pay this is not a personal injury lawsuit why would a prudent person waste all their money to sue someone if they really didn't think they were right
sam

Resaca, GA

#19 May 1, 2013
all these law suits will cost someone money will it be the city county monda needs to quit running up to the big house on fugate all the time and do office work passes by two weeks in a row saw his suv in driveway so is something going on is brannon a rat or snake and the county is paying him for doing his campain already maybe he is afraid some one will beat him this time and ever one no's brannon had a hand in getting rid of scott collins he from what i here is a bully he needs to leave this county the people at the animals shelter hate him so maybe brannon helping him with his lawyer something is not right with this pic
GIMME A BREAK

Morristown, TN

#20 May 1, 2013
sam wrote:
all these law suits will cost someone money will it be the city county monda needs to quit running up to the big house on fugate all the time and do office work passes by two weeks in a row saw his suv in driveway so is something going on is brannon a rat or snake and the county is paying him for doing his campain already maybe he is afraid some one will beat him this time and ever one no's brannon had a hand in getting rid of scott collins he from what i here is a bully he needs to leave this county the people at the animals shelter hate him so maybe brannon helping him with his lawyer something is not right with this pic
Something rotten here that's for sure.This Brannon guy, where did he come from anyway and how did he get Fontes in his hip pocket? Oh strike that, MONEY!! Lining the pockets well I am sure!!!Wonder where Brannon got his money?!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Judge blocks Texas cutting Medicaid to Planned ... 41 min visitor 2
News Mewhinney case pending dismissal (Feb '16) 2 hr Mikki 16
News Protesters Face Increasing Criminalization in T... 2 hr DR X 3
News Today is the deadline for the Dakota Access Pip... 2 hr Texxy the Selfie Cat 1
News Hinds' early work unveils platform of social, e... 2 hr Cops are Degenerates 1
News Garrison Garage owner found murdered (Jan '09) 2 hr Community Disorga... 33
News Has Gilberton Chief Lost Credibility? (Jul '13) 3 hr Marky Mark Funky ... 42
More from around the web