Charges dropped against Stratford officers accused of leaking documents in Miron saga

Jan 7, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Connecticut Post

Charges against two police officers accused of leaking confidential information about the job application of ex-Mayor James R. Miron 's brother have been dropped.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 60 of377
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
The Original Mr Mayor

Shelton, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

Ronald wrote:
This comment from Farmers Attorney makes you wonder.... "I still think the town of Stratford may have some grave concerns about why the department decided to do what it did regarding the case..........It seems like this Chief Buturla uses his connections throughout the state to attempt to prosecute officers who are innocent, it also appears he likes to attempt to prosecute officers for Computer Crimes, all this money spent for what???? I think the Mayor should really look on how this Chief handles his business.
HARKINS IS A Eunuch WHO CANNOT MAKE A TOUGH and proper decision-MIRON 2012
LOL

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

LOL wrote:
Pleading to reduced charges and probation doesn’t sound entirely innocent.
JUSTICE COSTS MONEY. WITHOUT A GOOD LAWYER, YOU’RE AT AN IMMENSE DISADVANTAGE. WITHOUT A GOOD LAWYER, YOU COULD DO TIME FOR A CRIME YOU HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH.

TAKE THE CASE OF KENNETH MURVIN. There’s not much justice here, just a small measure of compensation from a town in denial.

Go to Town Hides Cost of Civil Rights Violations, in file.

Town Hides Cost Of Civil Rights Violations
August 11, 2003

Meet Officer Gross Negligence -- Detective William Jennings -- and his pal Officer Deliberate Indifference -- Detective Gerald Pinto -- of the Stratford police.

Because of Jennings and Pinto, an innocent man spent six months in jail. What's going to happen to Jennings and Pinto?

Nothing.

Jennings' and Pinto's victim, Bridgeport native Kenneth Murvin, was working an 8-hour shift on Feb. 8, 1999 - in Florida. Murvin, a safety attendant for an emergency room at a mental health facility, had been living in Florida for two years. Jennings and Pinto knew this, even as the Connecticut Violent Crimes Fugitive Task Force planned to extradite Murvin and charge him with a purse snatching that occurred in Stratford on Feb. 8, 1999. Jennings and Pinto did little or nothing to stop Murvin's illegitimate arrest and incarceration, even after their only witness against Murvin recanted.

It took Milford police - who were investigating a similar purse snatching in cooperation with Stratford police around that time - about 20 minutes to verify Murvin's alibis.

Still, Stratford detectives Jennings and Pinto failed to uphold the law. They failed to ensure that the prosecutor had this exculpatory information. As U.S. District Court Judge Alan Nevas put it in ruling this year that Jennnings, Pinto and the town were liable for civil rights violations: "There is no evidence that [Pinto] did anything to insure that the

exculpatory information was actually disclosed to the prosecuting attorney responsible for Murvin's case or was included in Murvin's file." Nevas also cited Pinto for his role in failing to alert the task force that probable cause for an arrest no longer existed.

And so, an innocent man's freedom was taken.

"I lost a grandmother sitting in jail," Murvin told me. "I lost my property. I got bad credit. But things are coming together. When I came back [to my old job] I had open arms from everyone.

"Nobody is above the law," Murvin said. "Just because you are a police officer doesn't mean you can make things stick when they are not true."

The citizens of Stratford are paying a price for this police negligence. They just don't know how much of a price - yet. The settlement of a civil suit against the town was completed on July 24 of this year. I talked to Murvin and his NEW lawyer, Burton Weinstein of Bridgeport, the following day.

"The only term of the settlement I can reveal," Weinstein told me, "is that the town says it did nothing wrong. The fact that they say they did nothing wrong says a great deal about the town."

I called town manager Michael Feeney and town attorney Kevin Kelly, leaving messages requesting public records, e.g., copies of any and all checks and authorizations, for payment to Weinstein and Murvin. Kelly and a colleague produced a couple documents after I followed up with a Freedom of Information Act request. The town has made at least one payment of $150,000. Sources close to the town say the total amount is $450,000.

Town attorneys have a tendency to protect their clients from liability. This can get out of hand, as it did in the Murvin case. The town attorney has done his job to the extent that no one is responsible for anything - except the taxpayers who foot the bill for incompetence, negligence and malfeasance.

http://www.andythibault.com/interviews-articl...

http://www.ctd.uscourts.gov/Opinions/033103.A...
justice

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

JUSTICE COSTS MONEY. WITHOUT A GOOD LAWYER, YOU’RE AT AN IMMENSE DISADVANTAGE. WITHOUT A GOOD LAWYER, YOU COULD DO TIME FOR A CRIME YOU HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH.

TAKE THE CASE OF KENNETH MURVIN. There’s not much justice here, just a small measure of compensation from a town in denial.

August 11, 2003

Meet Officer Gross Negligence -- Detective William Jennings -- and his pal Officer Deliberate Indifference -- Detective Gerald Pinto -- of the Stratford police.

Because of Jennings and Pinto, an innocent man spent six months in jail. What's going to happen to Jennings and Pinto?

Nothing.

Jennings' and Pinto's victim, Bridgeport native Kenneth Murvin, was working an 8-hour shift on Feb. 8, 1999 - in Florida. Murvin, a safety attendant for an emergency room at a mental health facility, had been living in Florida for two years. Jennings and Pinto knew this, even as the Connecticut Violent Crimes Fugitive Task Force planned to extradite Murvin and charge him with a purse snatching that occurred in Stratford on Feb. 8, 1999. Jennings and Pinto did little or nothing to stop Murvin's illegitimate arrest and incarceration, even after their only witness against Murvin recanted.

It took Milford police - who were investigating a similar purse snatching in cooperation with Stratford police around that time - about 20 minutes to verify Murvin's alibis.

Still, Stratford detectives Jennings and Pinto failed to uphold the law. They failed to ensure that the prosecutor had this exculpatory information. As U.S. District Court Judge Alan Nevas put it in ruling this year that Jennnings, Pinto and the town were liable for civil rights violations: "There is no evidence that [Pinto] did anything to insure that the

exculpatory information was actually disclosed to the prosecuting attorney responsible for Murvin's case or was included in Murvin's file." Nevas also cited Pinto for his role in failing to alert the task force that probable cause for an arrest no longer existed.

"I lost a grandmother sitting in jail," Murvin told me. "I lost my property. I got bad credit. But things are coming together. When I came back [to my old job] I had open arms from everyone.

"Nobody is above the law," Murvin said. "Just because you are a police officer doesn't mean you can make things stick when they are not true."

The citizens of Stratford are paying a price for this police negligence. They just don't know how much of a price - yet. The settlement of a civil suit against the town was completed on July 24 of this year. I talked to Murvin and his NEW lawyer, Burton Weinstein of Bridgeport, the following day.

"The only term of the settlement I can reveal," Weinstein told me, "is that the town says it did nothing wrong. The fact that they say they did nothing wrong says a great deal about the town."

I called town manager Michael Feeney and town attorney Kevin Kelly, leaving messages requesting public records, e.g., copies of any and all checks and authorizations, for payment to Weinstein and Murvin. Kelly and a colleague produced a couple documents after I followed up with a Freedom of Information Act request. The town has made at least one payment of $150,000. Sources close to the town say the total amount is $450,000.

Town attorneys have a tendency to protect their clients from liability. This can get out of hand, as it did in the Murvin case. The town attorney has done his job to the extent that no one is responsible for anything - except the taxpayers who foot the bill for incompetence, negligence and malfeasance.

http://www.andythibault.com/interviews-articl...

http://www.ctd.uscourts.gov/Opinions/033103.A...
Donald

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

Ronald wrote:
This comment from Farmers Attorney makes you wonder.... "I still think the town of Stratford may have some grave concerns about why the department decided to do what it did regarding the case..........It seems like this Chief Buturla uses his connections throughout the state to attempt to prosecute officers who are innocent, it also appears he likes to attempt to prosecute officers for Computer Crimes, all this money spent for what???? I think the Mayor should really look on how this Chief handles his business.
Ronald is right.
Our mayor needs to look at how those in charge handled their duties in this case. It does not look like the department is being run efficiently if you keep guys out of work for over a year costing tens of thousands of dollars in overtime to replace them. Why did the town atty let this go on for so long if it was going to be dropped? It looks like this whole thing was not managed properly and it is our mayor's job to hold persons responsible for the financial impact on us taxpayers.
Really LOL

Seymour, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
A bad case with no evidence- like some spin masters claim- could have been handled with a public defender so no cash involved.

A bad case with no evidence or based on lies could not have possibly endured months of judicial review and scrutiny only to be settled by a plea to reduced charges and an application for AR.

Bad cases get dropped fast that is even if the warrants get signed.

As George said "However, accepting AR is an inferred acknowledgement of GUILT and a VICTORY for the PROSECUTION and ALLIES of the PROSECUTION."

Whatever the Town paid out for the Murvin case, it is a fraction of what is going to be paid to the gentleman that had his confidential and personal data leaked by former police officers. Now that is going to be the real pay day.
Really LOL

Seymour, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

A bad case with no evidence- like some spin masters claim- could have been handled with a public defender so no cash involved.

A bad case with no evidence or based on lies could not have possibly endured months of judicial review and scrutiny only to be settled by a plea to reduced charges and an application for AR.

As George said "However, accepting AR is an inferred acknowledgement of GUILT and a VICTORY for the PROSECUTION and ALLIES of the PROSECUTION."

Whatever the Town paid out for the Murvin case, it is a fraction of what is going to be paid to the gentleman that had his confidential and personal data leaked by former police officers. Now that is going to be the real pay day.
Will beNo longer a Victim

Goldens Bridge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
August 11, 2003
Nothing.
Town attorneys have a tendency to protect their clients from liability. This can get out of hand, as it did in the Murvin case. The town attorney has done his job to the extent that no one is responsible for anything -
Amen did I not say that? It is so sickening..I plan to hire John Williams now that I have the funds(you are correct) to do so and corruption, exploitation in and outside of Stratford will be revealed. The shit will hit the fan!

Goldens Bridge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

Really LOL wrote:
You are FOS JIMBLO and you know the scre. You get what you pay for a public defender you aren't even capable of being. Public Defenders are flunkies. You are lower than that.

Goldens Bridge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

Really LOL wrote:
You will fry with our case as you were part of a coverup to protect you and your scum. We will see who laughs last you Joker

Goldens Bridge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

Extermination of vermin is on the horizon. Worry not!

Goldens Bridge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

The Original Mr Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>HARKINS IS A Eunuch WHO CANNOT MAKE A TOUGH and proper decision-MIRON 2012
Keep snorting your stuff. Only 2012 news about him will be a prosecution.

Goldens Bridge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

Pinto? Isn't he the Drug Enforcement dept, all one of him? Is that the officer mentioned in the Murvin debacle?

Goldens Bridge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

If the same Pinto why was he excused? Why not demoted? Why still on Dept? Why is the "Honepot" still going stronger than ever? A whole lot of Why's Somone will answer.
NOT RIGHT

Goldens Bridge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

Jennings isn't he a FBI Narc Agent? Wow! Just goes to show play ball with the in crowd everyone looks the other way, or so it seems.
mirontroops

Mahwah, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

very interesting......... very interesting....
Real Victim

Seymour, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

is the guy who didn't get the job because of ILLEGAL release of info.
WHY WHY WHY

Seymour, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

Will beNo longer a Victim wrote:
If the same Pinto why was he excused? Why not demoted? Why still on Dept? Why is the "Honepot" still going stronger than ever? A whole lot of Why's Somone will answer.
WHY didn't the mayor fire these cops yet???????
NOT RIGHT

Goldens Bridge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

WHY WHY WHY wrote:
<quoted text>
WHY didn't the mayor fire these cops yet???????
The cops involved in Murvin case. They must be part of the in crowd.What do you think?
NOT RIGHT

Goldens Bridge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

Real Victim wrote:
is the guy who didn't get the job because of ILLEGAL release of info.
Rhe sluggy did not get the job because he was not qualified despite "someone" trying to slip him through the door. You are scum and will answer to a few coverups where innocent people suffer until this day for your sins.You will soon reap what you have sown.DEMON
The Clowns are here

Suffield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

Looks like the blog has been taken over by a fool or two.
Stay on the subject.
And hey, didn't they offer that kid the job? And he turned it down?
Hmmm, he may get a hamburger at McDonald's with that payday !!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 60 of377
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••