Florida gay teen rejects plea deal

Florida gay teen rejects plea deal

There are 52 comments on the KCCI-TV Des Moines story from May 24, 2013, titled Florida gay teen rejects plea deal. In it, KCCI-TV Des Moines reports that:

Eighteen-year-old Kaitlyn Hunt, charged with a crime for having sex with a 14-year-old girl, rejected a deal Friday that would have required her to plead guilty to child abuse, according to Hunt's attorney.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KCCI-TV Des Moines.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Common courtesy, isn't”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#1 May 24, 2013
Why isn't this being prosecuted as a case of statutory rape since the sex was consensual and the Smith girl was past the age of puberty? This affair does not conform to the standard legal definition of felony child abuse. Despite the denials of the parents of Ms. Smith, homophobia is definitely an issue here.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2 May 24, 2013
Anybody know if a defense fund has been established for this poor girl?

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#3 May 24, 2013
Otter in the Ozarks wrote:
Why isn't this being prosecuted as a case of statutory rape since the sex was consensual and the Smith girl was past the age of puberty? This affair does not conform to the standard legal definition of felony child abuse. Despite the denials of the parents of Ms. Smith, homophobia is definitely an issue here.
Since the affair was ongoing, and the parents knew about it before, they were obviously sitting with their own version of an advent calendar, clicking down the days till Kaitlyn's 18th birthday. Sad part is that their daughter WAS a lesbian all along and will be long after this sad event is over. She will certainly NOT thank her parents anytime soon.

Hopefully after she turns 18 herself, she will become the biggest baddest lesbian activist on the block and have nothing to do her hater parents.
Chance

Grove City, PA

#4 May 24, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Since the affair was ongoing, and the parents knew about it before, they were obviously sitting with their own version of an advent calendar, clicking down the days till Kaitlyn's 18th birthday. Sad part is that their daughter WAS a lesbian all along and will be long after this sad event is over. She will certainly NOT thank her parents anytime soon.
Hopefully after she turns 18 herself, she will become the biggest baddest lesbian activist on the block and have nothing to do her hater parents.
Not so fast, Curteese. The victim's parents have come forward with a different version of this sad story. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05/24/th...

Palm Springs, California

#8 May 24, 2013
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a real eye opener. Thanks for sharing.
How odd, a PEPPER just signed in from Manasas. Could that be ANYONE you know, liar?

I caught you in one of your filthy lies, liar.

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#9 May 24, 2013
Otter in the Ozarks wrote:
Legally, it WASN'T consensual, because LEGALLY someone that age cannot give consent. These dopes should have known better, or at least not blabbed so much about it. I saw both sets of parents interviewed on tv about this and the mother of the younger teen is black.(just as a point of info. nothing else).

Palm Springs, California

#10 May 24, 2013
Manassas....not one "S" like I did, your lies distracted me.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#12 May 24, 2013
Chance wrote:
<quoted text>
Not so fast, Curteese. The victim's parents have come forward with a different version of this sad story. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05/24/th...
Sit on this bombshell. Where is the proof they had sex?
When did 'having a relationship' become your standard to define?

You've already made us well aware you think of your own Mom and Dad as human equivalents of a breeding kennel.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#13 May 24, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
Legally, it WASN'T consensual, because LEGALLY someone that age cannot give consent. These dopes should have known better, or at least not blabbed so much about it. I saw both sets of parents interviewed on tv about this and the mother of the younger teen is black.(just as a point of info. nothing else).
Good lord unless you have photos you can't PROVE they had sex AFTER Kaitlyn turned 18.

Heck there's no proof they had sex before then.

And why didn't the younger girl's parents take action sooner if they felt their daughter was being molested?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#14 May 24, 2013
Chance wrote:
<quoted text>
And why didn't the younger girl's parents take action sooner if they felt their daughter was being molested?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#15 May 24, 2013
Since the younger girls parents didn't take any action against a suspected "molester" SOONER why haven't they been charged with child endangerment?

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#16 May 24, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Good lord unless you have photos you can't PROVE they had sex AFTER Kaitlyn turned 18.
Heck there's no proof they had sex before then.
1. The D.A. is not going to bring charges unless he or she has SOME proof.

2. Both girls apparently blabbed so much about it that it wasn't a secret.

3. CNN today said that the D.A. has recordings of telephone conversations of the 2 girls saying they had sex with one another.
BS Detector

La Puente, CA

#17 May 24, 2013
Chance wrote:
<quoted text>
In the interest of fairness and accuracy, The Blaze is a very right inclined entity. That said, being right inclined or even very conservative doesn't necessarily make the information inaccurate.

I don't know if the 18 year old has any real feelings for the minor child, or if she's just another self-important idiot.(I tend to think it's a combination, with the emphasis toward the latter.) I'm comfortable hoping she'll do some serious prison time, and some of the morons in here (and the real world) will continue to defend her despite facts or reality. My guess is she's take a plea (if it's still available) and fade from the public consciousness to the obscurity she deserves.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#18 May 24, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> In the interest of fairness and accuracy, The Blaze is a very right inclined entity. That said, being right inclined or even very conservative doesn't necessarily make the information inaccurate.
I don't know if the 18 year old has any real feelings for the minor child, or if she's just another self-important idiot.(I tend to think it's a combination, with the emphasis toward the latter.) I'm comfortable hoping she'll do some serious prison time, and some of the morons in here (and the real world) will continue to defend her despite facts or reality. My guess is she's take a plea (if it's still available) and fade from the public consciousness to the obscurity she deserves.
Earlier today, I heard that she rejected the plea deal because it would require her to plead guilty to 2 felonies.

But some hours later I heard on CNN that the D.A. had made a new plea offer where she would plead guilty to misdemeanors.

I think a fair deal would be plead guilty to one or more misdemeanors, no jail time, some probation, and her agreeing not to contact her girlfriend until she is over 16 years old.

Palm Springs, California

#19 May 24, 2013
Pepper wrote:
<quoted text>
What's Manasas?
See post #10.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#20 May 25, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
1. The D.A. is not going to bring charges unless he or she has SOME proof.
2. Both girls apparently blabbed so much about it that it wasn't a secret.
3. CNN today said that the D.A. has recordings of telephone conversations of the 2 girls saying they had sex with one another.
Phone taps???

Palm Springs, California

#23 May 25, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that would have just RUINED the big surprise they were cooking up for later.
BS Detector

La Puente, CA

#24 May 25, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
Earlier today, I heard that she rejected the plea deal because it would require her to plead guilty to 2 felonies.
But some hours later I heard on CNN that the D.A. had made a new plea offer where she would plead guilty to misdemeanors.
I think a fair deal would be plead guilty to one or more misdemeanors, no jail time, some probation, and her agreeing not to contact her girlfriend until she is over 16 years old.
I agree with the adjustment being no contact until 17 and a half. Might be interesting to see if her feelings were real... and mature.
Orem

Durham, NC

#27 May 25, 2013
Most Righteous Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>WTF, a web site to raise funds for a gay that molests children...can you provide the link to Jerry Sandusky's site too?!?!
NoCarl Native is all for this

Whoop Whoop!
Tatiana

Meriden, CT

#28 May 25, 2013
18 v. 14. That's not right to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Supreme Court upholds Obamacare subsidies 29 min CZars_R_US 105
News Chris Christie: US Supreme Court not conservati... 3 hr Mitch 1
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerks who ref... 4 hr been there 13
News Level III sex offender from Cortland charged wi... 5 hr Electrical Engineer 3
News Rhasean Lowry, 34, Charged With Child Abuse And... (Sep '14) 14 hr my nephew 14
News Mass layoff at Michael Foods in Wakefield, NE 15 hr Barb 2
News Church fires in spotlight post-Charleston 17 hr goonsquad 15
More from around the web