Watsonville residents rally for an en...

Watsonville residents rally for an end to violence

There are 183 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Nov 2, 2009, titled Watsonville residents rally for an end to violence. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

The names of 80 men and women killed in violence in Watsonville during the past 16 years were hand-written on white cardboard and surrounded by candles, flowers and photographs at the Main Plaza on Sunday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Daniel Thorne

West Portsmouth, OH

#1 Nov 2, 2009
Watsonville has such a bad rep for illegals and thier disrespect of the US and thier entitelment thinking . It is great to see that some of the good citizens of watsonville want change. Now if all the illegals would want change in thier own country , wouldnt that show true courage and commitment , the same that built this country.
who cares

Santa Cruz, CA

#3 Nov 2, 2009
WATSONVILLE -- The names of 80 men and women killed in violence in Watsonville during the past 16 years were hand-written on white cardboard .........I though the strawberry boxes were brown....lol
who cares

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Nov 2, 2009
ooops....forgot the t....see what i get for making fun of people...lol
citizen

AOL

#5 Nov 2, 2009
Its great PR, but these people will never assimilate into the USA. Its little Mexico transported to Watsonville.

“Oh well, been called worse ”

Since: Sep 09

Santa Cruz

#6 Nov 2, 2009
Seeing some racist comments already on this story and thats really sad! Fact is Watsonville is still safer than Santa Cruz or Salinas . So maybe these Watsonville folks your all slurring and making racist jokes about are actually more peaceful and nonviolent than you ? They certainly appear more intelligent .
DooDoo

San Leandro, CA

#7 Nov 2, 2009
At least they're trying, let's give them some credit for that.
Very nice

Santa Cruz, CA

#8 Nov 2, 2009
Still, I have to wonder how much difference a "march" really makes. It's what we do on a daily basis that needs to be improved.

Those who need help the most were probably not at the march.
Corralitos Taxpayer

Watsonville, CA

#9 Nov 2, 2009
Start with repealing the sanctuary city status for Watsonville and bring back respect for the law to the community. If a person's first act upon entering a country is to break its laws, ignoring immigration law, and then a community condones that act, chaos is the end result as we are seeing in Watsonville and Salinas.
Aptos

Soquel, CA

#10 Nov 2, 2009
Living in Aptos, I chose where to shop and do business everyday and I can tell you the choice is 9 times out of 10 to do business in Watsonville rather than Santa Cruz. The Pacific Garden Mall I do my business and leave-- downtown needs to seriously be cleaned up and traffic is always a hassle in SC. My heart goes out to all who grieve.
Nettie

United States

#11 Nov 2, 2009
I just moved to Watsonville and am really hoping it doesn't end up becoming violent in my neighborhood.

Who can I talk to about problems? Will the police give me straight answers if I ask them about gangs near where I live?
Corralitos Taxpayer

Watsonville, CA

#12 Nov 2, 2009
Nettie wrote:
I just moved to Watsonville and am really hoping it doesn't end up becoming violent in my neighborhood.
Who can I talk to about problems? Will the police give me straight answers if I ask them about gangs near where I live?
If the single family home next door to you has five families living in it that's a bad sign If they are parking their cars on the lawn, having loud parties with mobile DJs', if there is more and more graffiti, and your kid's bicycles have been stolen these are all bad signs. By the way the police will ignore your complaints.
Watsonville mom

Santa Cruz, CA

#13 Nov 2, 2009
Nettie-
Get to know your neighbors. Sharing homemade cookies (or whatever is your specialty) during the holidays is a great ice-breaker.

Also, buy a scanner. So much happens that doesn't get reported.(My husband likes to listen to it to relax--Go figure!)
Nettie

United States

#14 Nov 2, 2009
Watsonville mom --

Thanks! I'll look into picking up a scanner, that sounds like it would be very interesting to listen to. Does a regular police scanner work?

I'm off Clifford, near Main St. I understand there are gang problems on Clifford but I think they are mainly further up, near the Clifford Manor?
Gods speed

Alamo, CA

#15 Nov 2, 2009
Nettie wrote:
my prayers are with you...if you have children, MOVE NOW!! and don't let them (or you) wear blue or red!

good luck :(
The Undones

AOL

#16 Nov 2, 2009
Well the intention is a good one. However, whenever there is a crime, specifically gang related, no one speaks up. Silence is the norm. What's also a little disconcerting is the huge stimulus package awarded to Watsonville to try a curb gang violence, those poor young children who can't control their ADD and lack of impulse control. Specifically, whre's that million dollars going(whose pocket). How about starting to hold the parents responsible for there rabid children.
OOH Tell the Truth

United States

#17 Nov 2, 2009
For all of those jerk who give Watsonville a racist remark or just have a stupid mind. Never has there ever been a fight in a Watsonville Event. Even though I noticed Santa Cruz is thrown their Homeless and Acid brain people here!!!!! Watsonville don't let Santa Cruz do this to you. We have old folk who sit in the park to chat and we want to keep it that way!!!!
Serf City

Belmont, CA

#18 Nov 2, 2009
Except for the fact that Downtown Watsonville looks like a mini-replica of Detroit, with its closed shops, abandoned buildings, and graffitied walls, the rest is not as bad as people think it is. It isn't the Wild West, not even close. There are far more social degenerates and misfits causing problems in Santa Cruz than in Watsonville.
Yeah, Watsonville may have gang violence, but it is complete devoid of any White liberal arseholes.

Forget the gangs, the biggest problem that Watsonville is a city council filled with brain dead liberals that are just as stupid as the liberals in Santa Cruz. Instead of having one Tony Madrigal, Watsonville has 5.
Jess Wundrin

Millbrae, CA

#19 Nov 2, 2009
Do the Watsonville Brown Beret uniforms still have shoulder patches illustrated with images of rifles with fixed bayonets? If so, isn't that sending a mixed message on the subject of violence?

Since: Feb 08

Santa Cruz

#20 Nov 2, 2009
jimi doss wrote:
Seeing some racist comments already on this story and thats really sad! Fact is Watsonville is still safer than Santa Cruz or Salinas . So maybe these Watsonville folks your all slurring and making racist jokes about are actually more peaceful and nonviolent than you ? They certainly appear more intelligent .
Don't you get it? It IS about race. You don't see the Greeks behaving like this. Almost all of this BS is from just one race. Is it any wonder people are tired of it?

Since: Feb 08

Santa Cruz

#21 Nov 2, 2009
How appropriate to have Aztec dancers lead the parade. They were one of the most violent and savage civilizations(?) in history.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Louisa McCune: Treatment of animals can tell us... 35 min Virginia Vegetarian 4
News GOP lawmakers attempt to define gay marriage as... 45 min Calvin 7
News Felony plea no longer part of mayor's record 1 hr Redwater K2 Dealer 8
News White House will override Obama's climate plan 2 hr RiccardoFire 3,366
News Finding Strength In Shared Stories Of Childhood... 4 hr Shhh Please 2
News In Trump's First Year, Anti-Abortion Forces Mak... 5 hr Choicerocks 177
News PA Fire Chief Convicted of Sex with a Girl, 4, ... 14 hr Peaches 2
More from around the web