Police chief says turning his son in was difficult

Apr 14, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Elizabethton Star

Chief Matt Bailey of the Elizabethton Police Department says the arrest of his son last month was the most difficult challenge he has ever faced.

Comments
1 - 20 of 87 Comments Last updated Feb 14, 2013
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Beer for my horses

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Bailey can get on television and interview for newspapers all he desires and make himself out to be the loving father and play the pitiful him card. Not going to work this time Chief. We all know the only reason your son was turned in was because of the Topix post on March 23 telling everyone about your son and his little situation. First of all when your son is seen leaving a drug house with something in his hand why was he not stopped and arrested on the spot? Instead pulled over for a traffic violation? What traffic violation was that? If officers seen him come out of a drug residence why was he not searched on this alleged traffic stop? Why when you claim to have heard this entire situation going on via radio involving your son were you still sitting in a restaurant waiting for him? You claim to have told him you knew where he had been and knew what he was doing. You told him to turn himself in? My question is why was he turning himself in Chief? All you heard was your radio saying he was pulled over for a traffic violation supposedly. In another interview you said your son admitted to having drugs at the time in this traffic stop so why did your officers release him to leave and then he came to meet you for your alleged lunch? Then you state in this interview that you searched your son? I also question another statement you made. You said your son was going to school and had a part time job. March 4, was on a Friday so why was he not at school but rather out buying drugs and having lunch with his dear ole Dad? My theory here from piecing your interviews together is that, your son was seen coming from the drug house and most of us know that kind of surveillance is recorded so it can be used later in a court of law and the vehicle he was driving was registered to you so they let your son leave because the officers knew who he was and called you on the phone. They never had any contact with your son and you knowing that if that recorded evidence came up in court at a later time for a case relating to drug activity at that house you would have to answer many questions. It was kept quite until now; until it was posted on topix and somebody else knew the truth. That is the reason this happened. It was a cover-up that has been uncovered and now you must have a great story to take the spotlight off of your department and how they seen your son leaving the drug house with something in his hand and how he admitted to officers on a traffic stop he had drugs and they did not do their job and arrest him because of who their boss was. My friend your cover-up and lies I do believe have finally caught up with you. Your statement “ at the police dept were doing the right thing all the time” Is a outright lie if you were your officers would have arrested him when he admitted to having drugs on him. Your stories just do not match up Chief in your interview with Johnson City Press and the Elizabethton Star. You keep going back to how you done the right thing making him turn himself in and how you were not part of helping with the plea agreement, you were in a sense look who you are it was your son. Do you really think that does not hold some weight in the court system?
Beer for my horses

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Also another question Bailey. Why was you son not charged until March the 30th? This happened March the 4th, if you took him straight to CID after you searched him and found drugs? It does not take 26 days to arrest someone if they are standing in front of them. I still do not understand the differences between your story with both interviews you have done they both tell a different story. One of traffic stop blocks away and him admitting to officers he had drugs,the other of you being the one to find the drugs on him. Why does your stories not match?
Beer for my horses

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Just wanted to share with everyone a post that was on another Police Department forum. This was posted on the 23rd of March under EPD CIRCUS:

Wednesday Mar 23
Why have we not read or heard one thing about Matt,s son being arrested for having weed in Matt,s truck. when my son was stopped and arrested there it was front page. Does anybody smell COVER UP?

Not until after this was posted was your son charged.
6 pack for your hoss

Elizabethton, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

LOve you story about ole Matt Love your questions more?What's that old saying "You can't tell the same lie twice?" The other thing I loved was Matt will have to eat crow and about it coming back to bite him in the ###. Now run your face about what you would not put up with on on Love Beer ect. Keep it up.
6 pack for your hoss

Elizabethton, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Who were the officers that got Matt,s son?Why was his truck not searched at the time of his arrest? Did Matt not tell them go ahead and search my truck, my son don't do things like that? So many question unanswered or answered with several different versions.IMPEACH th CHIEF!!!!!!
nosy

Elizabethton, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

I'd like to know who the officers were that arrested Matt's boy?Of course nothing will be done to them,but had it been someone else and they gave them special treatment they would be repimanded.Let's see if these get a raise or promotion
Curious George

Louisville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

If Matt's son is being treated like everyone else.
Why wasn't a picture of his SON put in the newspapers??
undercover

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Thats the system my friends! They wasn't going to arrest the police chiefs son, I would put money on a call being made as soon as the chief heard his sons name. Would I turn in my son, never. If I had a chance to get my son out of trouble, yes I probably would. The fact being though, I'M NOT THE POLICE CHIEF OF ELIZ. I'm sure the lies got tangled up, instead of the BS, he could have gotten his child help in that stretch of time. Believe me they take care of there own, more than we could ever dream of or know the lengths they go to keep it under wraps. It all comes down to who you know in this county and always will. Our crooked little town!
Barney

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

I have read the article on Tri Cities.com , Elizabethton Star and Johnson City Press and not one is the same as the other. Below I have listed all the links read for yourself.

http://www2.tricities.com/news/2011/apr/11/el...

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article....

I agree why the time span from March 4th until March 30 when he turned himself in if you took him to the Police Department straight away? I agree with Undercover "crooked little town"
Luckyone

Mountain City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Yes it went from resale to possession, dismissed drug paraphernalia charge. THAT should tell people something the pot must have dried pretty quick seeing how they must have reweight it to get the charge changed. O shoot I forget where I am and who got charged. Damn I must be losing it ! LOL
Luckyone

Mountain City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

O I forgot its a "WAR against DRUGS" STUPID ME.
Stan

Three Rivers, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Very good point you have made here. Your post has opened my eyes for certain. Matt why the time lapse of 3 weeks? Why did your officers stop him and let him leave after he admitted to them he had drugs on that traffic stop? They should be fired along with your resignation for this incident that points to several illegal practices from your department and you. You have just proven to the citizens that your department practices many acts of wrongdoing on your watch.
rainbow

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Barney wrote:
I have read the article on Tri Cities.com , Elizabethton Star and Johnson City Press and not one is the same as the other. Below I have listed all the links read for yourself.
http://www2.tricities.com/news/2011/apr/11/el...
http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article....
I agree why the time span from March 4th until March 30 when he turned himself in if you took him to the Police Department straight away? I agree with Undercover "crooked little town"
Wow! How many others get lunch before going to jail? Tough love, always doing the right thing? Always? Why wasn't he arrest at the time of the stop? or when coming out of the house that's been under surveillance? or was this maybe why they were suppose to meet for lunch on that particular day and maybe time?
Kids make mistakes

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

I think we should have an old fashion hanging. Yes, we should hang Matt Bailey's son. We all have kids and our kids don't make mistakes. Our kids are perfect we are so lucky.
We always know what our kid's are doing,who they are with and our kid's always do what they are told. Give this boy a break it must be hard to be the chief,s son in this town. This boy has a family that love's him and are killed I am sure over this whole thing. I am sure his Mother's heart is broken. I don't know the family but what if it was one of our perfect children and not only did we have to deal with this sad mess but we had to deal with this mess in the paper and on TV as well. I pray the boy learn's from this and his charges for this crime should be no more or less than if it was our child. Please people try to keep in mind this is a young boy who made a mistake no matter who his father is. It could be a good thing he was caught. It could have saved his life. I hope he recovers from this and learns from this and becomes a better person when it is all said and done. All children make mistakes that is how they learn. Matt Bailey is chief but he is also a father. Try to remember that when you attack the father you attack the child. Let the one with the perfect child cast the first stone.
Beer for my horses

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Kids make mistakes wrote:
I think we should have an old fashion hanging. Yes, we should hang Matt Bailey's son. We all have kids and our kids don't make mistakes. Our kids are perfect we are so lucky.
We always know what our kid's are doing,who they are with and our kid's always do what they are told. Give this boy a break it must be hard to be the chief,s son in this town. This boy has a family that love's him and are killed I am sure over this whole thing. I am sure his Mother's heart is broken. I don't know the family but what if it was one of our perfect children and not only did we have to deal with this sad mess but we had to deal with this mess in the paper and on TV as well. I pray the boy learn's from this and his charges for this crime should be no more or less than if it was our child. Please people try to keep in mind this is a young boy who made a mistake no matter who his father is. It could be a good thing he was caught. It could have saved his life. I hope he recovers from this and learns from this and becomes a better person when it is all said and done. All children make mistakes that is how they learn. Matt Bailey is chief but he is also a father. Try to remember that when you attack the father you attack the child. Let the one with the perfect child cast the first stone.
I do not see where myself or anyone else has bashed the child. I understand kids make mistakes and those of us that have them understand that full well. As far as the Chief and all of the media circus surrounding this you must remember he is the one doing the television interviews and newspaper interviews and not telling the same story. The boy admitted to his wrong doing. The Chief of Police is saying is Officers done the right thing and himself. That is not true. They allowed him to leave the traffic stop with drugs when they knew he had them. What the Officers done was became his enabler at that very time. If that were any other citizen with drugs in the amount to be considered for resale that person would have been arrested on the spot and their vehicle impounded.Who can disagree with me? Why the lapse of 26 days between him saying he took him to CID (where he stated that he was charged) So that tells me when taken to CID that day he was charged. So that should mean March the 4th not March 30. He was given 26 days to run free and go on with life. I feel we deserve answers not lies. If you want to share a story tell the truth not 3 different versions. I would like to know the Officers name that made the traffic stop, the names of the detectives that seen him leaving the drug residence with a package in his hand. Everyone involved including Police Chief Bailey should be put on unpaid leave until an investigation is done by the TBI surrounding the events of March 4th. We deserve the truth.
Stan

Three Rivers, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

I agree. Put all of them on unpaid administrative leave until an investigation is conducted. When other people do wrong in the city they want to conduct investigations.
Mary

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

.....and call us liers:(
Debbie

Louisville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

The City of Elizabethton Police Department fired an employee who "they said" was untruthful.
happy teeth

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Curious George wrote:
If Matt's son is being treated like everyone else.
Why wasn't a picture of his SON put in the newspapers??
Amen to that. I would like to hear alot of people answer that question. Also why so long before he was arrested???
priorcop

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Stan wrote:
I agree. Put all of them on unpaid administrative leave until an investigation is conducted. When other people do wrong in the city they want to conduct investigations.
Having retired from a lengthy career (20 yrs) in law enforcement, I agree with Stan. Something is not right in this jurisdiction when someone with drugs can be stopped and then allowed to go about their way with no adverse actions simply because who his father is. I'm not saying it doesn't happen every day because I'm sure it does...that doesn't make it right. They should ensure TBI investigates and not their own IA.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tyrone Township man pleaded guilty to animal se... 43 min Steve Gratman 3
Why It's Okay To Walk Naked In Topeka 50 min Richard Fleming 2
Many kids fall through gaps in dental care 52 min michael-blum 12
Former police officer appeals termination 1 hr happensallot 30
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... 3 hr Frankie Rizzo 386
Powerful Photos Blast The Media's Portrayal Of ... 5 hr White Knight 222
Sumner judge refuses to grant retrial for Linds... (Feb '14) 5 hr Website Operator 7
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Law People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••