ISP report: Smithton officer was inve...

ISP report: Smithton officer was investigated but not disciplined

There are 48 comments on the Belleville News story from Jun 5, 2009, titled ISP report: Smithton officer was investigated but not disciplined. In it, Belleville News reports that:

A Smithton officer investigated by Illinois State Police for allegedly engaging in a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old girl did not face criminal charges because the victim's father agreed to let the city discipline him, but that never happened.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Belleville News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
butt out

Belleville, IL

#1 Jun 6, 2009
The way I see it this whole thing should be a dead issue. No charges were filed, it was between 2 parties only, it is an ALLEGED incident and the slime reporters should keep out as they will spare no expense for a story. Innocent lives are disturbed and people are too quick to judge. Maybe the reporter should delve into past practice of the past mayor who is most likely the instigater in all of this. OOPS, I dialed the wrong number,did not mean to rat out the past mayor.
Go For It

AOL

#2 Jun 6, 2009
Yes, this should be investigated and he should be charged. He likes 16 year olds and 40 year old married women also.
butt out

Belleville, IL

#3 Jun 6, 2009
Go For It wrote:
Yes, this should be investigated and he should be charged. He likes 16 year olds and 40 year old married women also.
You dont get it dumb ass. it was investigated and no charges could be filed. this is old news anyway. it is only new because of nosy reporters and the idiots who continue to buy the newspaper. quit jumping to conclusions. unless you were there and know the law, zip it.
outside

Belleville, IL

#5 Jun 7, 2009
Go For It wrote:
Yes, this should be investigated and he should be charged. He likes 16 year olds and 40 year old married women also.
No evidence = no charges = no case. Plain and simple.It was investigated over 2 years ago.
who who

Belleville, IL

#7 Jun 7, 2009
Lovin It wrote:
Investigated by who? Trustee Daddy? and as you said the past Mayor.
Investigated by ISP. Maybe you should go nosepot around with the slumdog reporter and you still wont get it right. Can you say idiot?
Concerned

Belleville, IL

#8 Jun 9, 2009
I believe that there was a female officer that was accused of violating the law and resigned, or maybe forced to resign! Joel should be fired for his actions. I feel that parents, and citizens should voice there opinions at the ballet box during the next election on the corruption in this town. I also think if he is so innocent he should take a polygraph to clear his name. But we already know the outcome, don’t we. PEDIFILE…………
Concerned

Belleville, IL

#9 Jun 9, 2009
If the new Mayor is a stand up guy, he will take actions for the citizens of Smithton. Not for a criminal who violated the law. Another "BAD COP" on the Smithton police department.......
LovinIt

Columbia, IL

#11 Jun 10, 2009
Ooooh!
SNAP!!

Someone said it out loud!
"dont be stupid" U r my HERO!!
Standupbheard

Belleville, IL

#12 Jun 10, 2009
If you are so concerned over firing the officer, go tell the Mayor and Village Board at the next town meeting how you feel. Stop being anonymous and hiding behind your “concerned” name. This all started by an anonymous rumor in small town USA that blew up into just one more thing for the busy-bodies to talk about, make their own version and add things to make the story better (or worse). The board and mayor can’t do a thing without proof of wrong doing, but since you appear to have that and know so much, the next meeting is Tuesday night. I am sure with the proof you have in order to say what you have already stated, the board and new mayor will take the appropriate action and remove the officer. All this with the officer took place two years ago under the direction of the last mayor who seemed to have a problem with sexually harassing women too, so you think he was going to do anything or was that a rumor too? I agree if the proof exists that the officer was wrong and broke the law then he should be gone. But only if actual proof exists, what kind of society would we have if all it took to get a person fired was a rumor?
Hmmm

Belleville, IL

#14 Jun 11, 2009
In regards to Concerned's comments: I believe there was evidence against the female officer and there is no evidence against this officer. Word of Mouth or Heresay is not enough. If the victim and her parents wont press charges or allow an interview, then there is nothing that can be done except everyone complain that nothing was done. If the city were to fire him without evidence against him, he could have a lawsuit against the city. What ever happened to the U.S. Constitution, Due Process and Innocent until PROVEN Guilty? If the police could just jail people on hearsay, the prisons would be more crowded than they are. That is why we have rights. EVERYONE has the same rights whether you are a doctor, lawyer, police officer, fire fighter, EMT, Judge, etc.
Shannel Watts

Waterloo, IL

#15 Jun 24, 2009
outside wrote:
<quoted text>No evidence = no charges = no case. Plain and simple.It was investigated over 2 years ago.
The Illinois way is to arrest now, make a big public knowledge of the crime, then investigate after lives have been ruined.
16? He should be a registered pettafile. Not the mayor.
joe

Chicago, IL

#16 Jun 24, 2009
Shannel Watts wrote:
<quoted text>
The Illinois way is to arrest now, make a big public knowledge of the crime, then investigate after lives have been ruined.
16? He should be a registered pettafile. Not the mayor.
lol (pettafile)?
joe

Chicago, IL

#17 Jun 24, 2009
must be black.
what

Granite City, IL

#18 Jun 24, 2009
WTF
An Angel

Granite City, IL

#19 Jun 24, 2009
wow
joe

Chicago, IL

#20 Jun 24, 2009
what wrote:
WTF
oops another one.
Smithton36

United States

#21 Jun 25, 2009
Does anyone remember being young and "in love" and not worrying about age? With knowing both families and lving in here I'm not surprised. The family of the girl did ther correct thing - "it takes two tango" and just give it a rest!!! If every male over 18 who had a girlfriend 17 or 16 was persecuted as a sex offender then most of us parents now would have our spouses registered as sex offenders - both male and female spouses!! Where is the common sense!
who knows

United States

#22 Jul 7, 2009
so who knows the 40 year married woman
who cares

O Fallon, MO

#23 Jul 8, 2009
why are you worried about it, topix should rename this site gossip.com , damn dont people have important things to deal with in their own lives without trying to stir the pot?
Black Panther

Waterloo, IL

#24 Jul 11, 2009
joe wrote:
must be black.
She is a beautiful woman. Why do have to pull the racist card cracker?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: White House freezes new regulations 2 hr no softies allowed 96
News Amy Baker sentenced to prison on drug charges (Jul '10) 3 hr yep 23
News Minnesota Gov. Dayton collapses while deliverin... 4 hr Dems Drop Like Flies 1
News Idaho man charged with federal hate crime in fa... 6 hr Rosa_Winkel 2
News Global warming breaks record, again 7 hr BLACK PANTHER 14
News Anti-Trump protesters set to flood Washington 7 hr Luz Morales 65
News Donald Trump may have just destroyed the Republ... 8 hr KY Democrat 66
More from around the web