Trayvon Martin Shooting Shows Perils ...

Trayvon Martin Shooting Shows Perils of Lax U.S. Gun Laws

There are 9850 comments on the Bloomberg story from Mar 20, 2012, titled Trayvon Martin Shooting Shows Perils of Lax U.S. Gun Laws. In it, Bloomberg reports that:

The Justice Department opened an investigation this week into the killing of Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old high school student who was shot dead on Feb.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bloomberg.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#9797 Jun 28, 2013
menards wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe before presenting such hard pressed opinions over something you now admittedly know nothing about, you should tune in to exactly what is going on.
I see the states star witness has changer story her times then Jiffy Lube changes oil.
krazykraker

United States

#9798 Jun 28, 2013
Patriot wrote:
Jeantel is studying to be an air traffic controller so anything is possible. Her educational grant being financed by her late boyfriends step father.
lmao i can just see her coming to work with her bottle of hennessee and a big blunt sticking out of her mouth. i bet mammy would like to stomp a mud hole in her azz...lmao

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#9799 Jun 28, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>There's been a lot of talk on these threads about what a hell hole The Retreat was with burglaries, hundreds of calls for police service and so on.
Maybe it wasn't so bad for folks who don't dance with shadows.
Unfortunately, that happens quite often when a neighborhood goes from homeowners as residents to renters. A report I read ahile ago said that The Retreat is now over 50% rental properties. It is also the main reason I moved from my last residence.

Southeast Virginia

#9800 Jun 28, 2013
awhile

Southeast Virginia

#9801 Jun 28, 2013
menards wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe before presenting such hard pressed opinions over something you now admittedly know nothing about, you should tune in to exactly what is going on.
My opinions are based on nothing more than what I HAVE seen.
Try again.

“always”

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#9802 Jun 28, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, that happens quite often when a neighborhood goes from homeowners as residents to renters. A report I read ahile ago said that The Retreat is now over 50% rental properties. It is also the main reason I moved from my last residence.
The Retreat at Twin Lakes was developed during the height of the 2006 boom by Centex Homes, got caught up in the financial meltdown an finally completed in 2011 by Lennar Homes.

It was never, to my knowledge, fully sold out or occupied with 40 to as many as 70 units vacant during the time of the shooting. Fifty percent rentals seems about right, George and Shellie were renters for about three years if memory serves.

Obviously you are once again imagining what the neighborhood is like based on some personal bullsht assumption. Prior to the mid 2000 building boom that land was used for grazing cattle. Life comes atcha fast eh?
spocko

Oakland, CA

#9803 Jun 28, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Exactly. Thanks for finally admitting you can't back your claims with any proof. Being as you keep being PROVEN over and over to be a liar, fool and very biased and ignoring facts you might want to reconsider who is the idiot.
Coming from a wingnuz retard i'm really worried about it - ye moron! I have zero intention of arguing useless innuendo with a half baked pipsqueak!
The Truth

Lexington, VA

#9807 Jun 28, 2013
Lifeeeeee Coachhhhhhhhhhh wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure there are a FEW departments that require an associates degree, but you don't see many that require a bachelors. A community college is certainly more about training and less about education.
Back in the 70's in response to objections over police brutality and corruption, the Federal Government provided "LEEP" grants for cops to further their education. Many departments also made college a requirement to get hired. After the LEEP grants ended, some cities filled the gap by paying all or part of college tuition and also gave incentive pay to those who had degrees
Times have changed. Most cities have dropped college requirements for hire and promotion. Most cities have dropped tuition reimbursements, falsely blaming budget cuts
Here is the REAL reason why police departments now prefer uneducated cops- The War On Drugs. They want cops who will cut corners, and even outright lie to enforce drug laws. Why,you ask? Because there is big money in drug enforcement with asset forfeiture. You see, when they do a search warrant, they take the money and the cars, and the jewelry, and sometimes even houses to go into the city treasury so the politicians can play with it.
Once again, Mr. 757 does not know what he is speaking about. MOre departments than ever are making college credits more important in a possible hire than experience and training. Ever hear of Gypsy cops? Today to be promoted to the rank of SGT most every department requires a two year degree and to Lt. a four year degree. To rise above that both Masters work and FBI academy experience is required. Even on the worst police department in Virginia, Norfolk, these requirements must be met. Again, you sound like somebody who has been on the wrong side of police work, a cop wanabe or an officer who could not cut it.

As for your statememts about drug officers, there is more importance placed on education for these undercover officers than any other positions on a force. The reason being is that it is no longer the Cowboy years of the 80s when drugs really became the big criminal thing and departments were attempting to catch up with the problem. Second, it helps nobody when a charge is thrown out of court because of improper investigation and arrest and third, I once had a very high profile lawyer tell me that his worst fear was that he would have to represent a person who killed a cop and got away with it because the officer was not following proper procedure.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#9808 Jun 28, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Coming from a wingnuz retard i'm really worried about it - ye moron! I have zero intention of arguing useless innuendo with a half baked pipsqueak!
Oh poor baby can't use facts so must resort to name calling. Do you use that tactic on the playground? Can you read cursive writing? Do you have a friend writing on here for you? Study up on the "Bell curve".
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#9809 Jun 28, 2013
<quoted text>
I was referring to your extreme rambling which makes me suspect you have untreated mental illness
Why? It was not in cursive writing. Maybe you should call a friend to read it for you.
Ken

Polk City, FL

#9812 Jun 28, 2013
Zimmerman will walk out a free man and the apes will run wild in the streets. As a matter of fact they are writing their shopping/looting lists now.

Southeast Virginia

#9816 Jun 28, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>The Retreat at Twin Lakes was developed during the height of the 2006 boom by Centex Homes, got caught up in the financial meltdown an finally completed in 2011 by Lennar Homes.
It was never, to my knowledge, fully sold out or occupied with 40 to as many as 70 units vacant during the time of the shooting. Fifty percent rentals seems about right, George and Shellie were renters for about three years if memory serves.
Obviously you are once again imagining what the neighborhood is like based on some personal bullsht assumption. Prior to the mid 2000 building boom that land was used for grazing cattle. Life comes atcha fast eh?
WTF are you babbling about? It is a well known fact that renters, for the most part, don't take of the homes they rent like owners would because they do not have as much of a financial risk in the property as the owners do. That is NOT some assumption. I have seen it first hand and in many different locations.

But keep throwing out those ad hominems. You are only succeeding in making yourself out to be more of a moron.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#9817 Jun 29, 2013
I know most of you gun nuts carry a gun most of the time you are legally allowed to do so.
Those of you who are my "fans" from my "I keep my gun in my car trunk" thread know I rarely carry a gun even though I can legally do so in all 50 states and DC.
If Zimmermann gets acquitted I will start carrying my gun ALWAYS until things calm down because you can bet a dollar to a doughnut there will be violence because of it
Will you people also increase the occasions you carry a gun?
This could be your stupidest post ever.

Simple probabilities would show urban areas are more dangerous then rural but calculations will never save you from a chance encounter.

The day you think you have thought of all possibilities fate will prove you wrong.
serfs up

Ormond Beach, FL

#9818 Jun 29, 2013
I know most of you gun nuts carry a gun most of the time you are legally allowed to do so.
Those of you who are my "fans" from my "I keep my gun in my car trunk" thread know I rarely carry a gun even though I can legally do so in all 50 states and DC.
If Zimmermann gets acquitted I will start carrying my gun ALWAYS until things calm down because you can bet a dollar to a doughnut there will be violence because of it
Will you people also increase the occasions you carry a gun?
I am just as interested in seeing if the federal government will step up the move to a totalitarian state that has the laws to enact it. Imagine Homeland Security expanding ten fold. You wonder if they will start to detain, incarcerate and kill those who they deem to be against the agenda of the state.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#9819 Jun 29, 2013
<quoted text>
OK
I'll admit it. That was pretty funny
Your problem is that you put so much information into a single post, NOBODY reads it
Fact is you run out of room on one post and string several together
Trust me
NOBODY READS IT
You did. A lot of people sometimes writes a large post but those of low I.Q can't absorb that much. I'm not trying to reach those as it does no good, their not interested in facts.
The Truth

Lexington, VA

#9820 Jun 29, 2013
<quoted text>
If Norfolk wants college, that's news to me. Virginia Beach prefers a degree or military, but it is not required. Chesapeake wants a minimum GED. I think Suffolk and Portsmouth only require that you can change your own drool bib. None of them require a degree for promotion. None of them have tuition reimbursement anymore except I think VB still does
Most of the cops who go on to get a "degree" usually get it from St. Leo's on the Navy base which is a total joke
LC, the problem with your thought process is that YOU only know what might be in writing. I have done backround checks, checked educational levels and personal habits as well as interviewed relatives and neighbors of prospective police hires. The fact is that with all of the new electronic equipment and other things that officers have to work with has mandated the look for better educated officers.

Now we will address YOUR diction and English. "Most of the cops who go on to get a "Degree" usually get it from St. Leo's on the Navy base which is a total joke"

The first question that must be asked is how are you privy to the educational backround and where and how it was obtained?

Second, St Leo is a military supported junior college level college that offers Associate Degrees. My best friend got his Associate degree from St. Leo and then had to attend William and Mary for his four year degree.

Third, with your somewhat vague reference to something being a joke please clearify as to if you were saying the Degree was a Joke, The Navy Base was a joke or the military was a joke.

Again, you give the image of a little small minded man who feels he has been slighted and is wanting to strike out at that which caused him pain.
Anonymous

United States

#9821 Jun 29, 2013
Mr. Zimmerman will not receive a fair trial.

The powers that be have decided that he must be found guilty, for they fear that a "not guilty" decision will set off riots throughout the country.
The Truth

Lexington, VA

#9822 Jun 29, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
Mr. Zimmerman will not receive a fair trial.
The powers that be have decided that he must be found guilty, for they fear that a "not guilty" decision will set off riots throughout the country.
There is a lot of truth in your statement. The same truth that has made the N word far worse that any other negative terms used to describe other races in this country. We must pander to the very thin skin of our black brothers.

“always”

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#9823 Jun 29, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF are you babbling about? It is a well known fact that renters, for the most part, don't take of the homes they rent like owners would because they do not have as much of a financial risk in the property as the owners do. That is NOT some assumption. I have seen it first hand and in many different locations.
But keep throwing out those ad hominems. You are only succeeding in making yourself out to be more of a moron.
What difference does that nonsense make. As I posted the community was newer, the last few buildings completed in 2011, the residents were not responsible for yard work and according to the HOA president one of his biggest concerns was improper parking. If you'd been following along you would have heard him state that he didn't believe a NW watch was even necessary.
Anonymous

United States

#9824 Jun 29, 2013
Ken wrote:
Zimmerman will walk out a free man and the apes will run wild in the streets. As a matter of fact they are writing their shopping/looting lists now.
1. Mr. Zimmerman will NOT "walk out a free man." The establishment will find some crime to pin on him.

2. Whenever I walk down the street, I am terrified when a black teenager or twentysomething passes me, but I feel that your use of the word "ape" is just plain wrong.

We can debate the horrific amount of violent crime committed by African-Americans WITHOUT using insulting words.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Study finds 20M would lose health coverage unde... 44 min Patriot 114
News Woman pleads to murder for role in drunken fight (May '09) 3 hr RezWarrior 52
News Pilot who led Trump's police backers fired afte... 4 hr Captain Yesterday 5
News CBS' "The Case Of: JonBenet Ramsey" Premieres O... 4 hr Jolamom 851
News UPDATE 1-Obama power plant rules face key test ... 7 hr He Named Me Black... 1
News Teachers' union overwhelmingly votes to authori... 10 hr former democrat 1
News Obama Kept His Promise, 83,000 Coal Jobs Lost A... 10 hr Slade surfer Thom... 176
More from around the web