Editorial: TVA deserves credit for coal-ash spill cleanup efforts

Jul 2, 2013 Full story: Knoxville News Sentinel 11

Four and a half years after unleashing an environmental nightmare from its Kingston Fossil Plant , the Tennessee Valley Authority has finished the removal of coal ash from the largest spill of its kind in American history.

Full Story
DLS

Harriman, TN

#1 Jul 9, 2013
Let me get this straight,TVA makes the biggest mess that we have ever seen,they polluted our Clinch and Emory rivers and disrupted countless numbers of peoples lifes,destroyed their homes and property and you think that they deserve credit for the cleanup?Who are you trying to kid?
Jon

Oak Ridge, TN

#2 Jul 9, 2013
No Thay don't Thay lie to everyone and say that Thay have it all cleand up but Thay don't it is all covered up just like last week the news was out tacking pictures of all Thay have got cleaned up in middle embankment it was not cleand up it was covered up with red dirt.
Jon

Oak Ridge, TN

#3 Jul 9, 2013
Thay have worker's getting sick and asking for doctors and being denied
concerned wife

Oak Ridge, TN

#4 Jul 9, 2013
DLS wrote:
Let me get this straight,TVA makes the biggest mess that we have ever seen,they polluted our Clinch and Emory rivers and disrupted countless numbers of peoples lifes,destroyed their homes and property and you think that they deserve credit for the cleanup?Who are you trying to kid?
The only credit they get is for covering up the devastation they caused That place is NOT cleaned up it's hidden under dirt and water that your family swims in. There is chemicals buried there from the 40's & 50"s that now mixed with the chemicals from fly ash. NO one living, playing or working around TVA site is safe. Those workers are down there with no protection mask should be a givin from day one. Years down the road when people are sick and dying from this crap TVA will issue an apologies to the remaining family members still living We don't want your apology we want our family safe if not to late
Amy

Rock Hill, SC

#5 Jul 9, 2013
DLS wrote:
you need to give them credit they got everyone fooled especially the ones in roam county they will believe anything Tva got them fooled big time
Amy

Rock Hill, SC

#6 Jul 9, 2013
Jon wrote:
No Thay don't Thay lie to everyone and say that Thay have it all cleand up but Thay don't it is all covered up just like last week the news was out tacking pictures of all Thay have got cleaned up in middle embankment it was not cleand up it was covered up with red dirt.
I say someone got a big bonus for covering the ash up with red dirt and the people is just Turing there heads that's is so sad your kids and friends are playing in that lake Tva has got so many people fooled people needs to stand up to them and do things right
Jon

Oak Ridge, TN

#7 Jul 9, 2013
Amy wrote:
<quoted text> I say someone got a big bonus for covering the ash up with red dirt and the people is just Turing there heads that's is so sad your kids and friends are playing in that lake Tva has got so many people fooled people needs to stand up to them and do things right
. Yes they do
Jon

Oak Ridge, TN

#8 Jul 9, 2013
Jon wrote:
<quoted text>. Yes they do
. Very big bonus
Amy

United States

#9 Jul 10, 2013
Jon wrote:
Thay have worker's getting sick and asking for doctors and being denied
that is pretty sorry of them what are the covering up I thought they care about peoples health
Amy

United States

#10 Jul 10, 2013
Jon wrote:
<quoted text>. Very big bonus
that's why everyone bills going up to pay for there bonus

Since: Apr 14

Harriman, TN

#11 Apr 28, 2014
Things that have not really made public ---

I used to belong to the plumbers and steamfitters 102, I worked contract labor on various projects at Kingston for 8 years.
The Ash pond had ruptured previous to the big one. The engineers repaired it and I worked on modifications to the overflow piping. I was there for a minute.
Absolutly no one had a remote idea the pond could fail in such a way.

Kingston steam plant was built for one purpose.: The production of electricity for the manufacture of NUCLEAR WEAPONS .

Kingston was allowed to operate in this manner because it was considered a strategic resource.
IMO kingston was just a consequence of the cold war. They will eventually poison our entire biosphere with reactor piles like Fuckashima, that's another story that's not talked about enough.

As far as the workers go, THEY know what they are being exposed to.

Thats why they use contract workers who sign their bodies away for money. The only regret I have is I only had one body to mess up working for them.
We worked in conditions much worse inside the building and went into the boilers knowing the permissible exposure level of just one heavy metal (arsenic) was 45 times above the limit.

LMAO TVA prostituted us like a truck stop lot lizard and when the project was over they sent us on our way with our last check and layoff slip.
I salute all the workers there and If I could do it again. I would.
Signed:
Down with it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Body cameras for cops could be the biggest chan... 1 hr neveratfault 1,670
Ohio man pleads guilty in bath salt distributio... 1 hr fkasnch 4
Ferguson Protests Forever 2 hr squeezers 2
Massena man sentenced to prison for cocaine sale 4 hr fudded up 45
Massena woman admits committing welfare fraud 14 hr Alo68 34
Madrid teenager jailed on sexual abuse charge (Jul '13) 15 hr you know nothing 23
DWI laws and enforcement: is enough being done? 16 hr L Morales 23
More from around the web