Is Knoxville,TN a nice place to live?
nate

Friendsville, TN

#85 Oct 3, 2013
Lots of diverse opinions on knoxvl, it seems.
witchy wow

Strawberry Plains, TN

#86 Oct 3, 2013
nate wrote:
Lots of diverse opinions on knoxvl, it seems.
lol...I agree. And it seems most of them are from ppl who have never lived here, go figure.
Archie

Knoxville, TN

#87 Oct 3, 2013
Opinions on Topix are very seldom accurate or valid. I would not take any of these posts to heart. Make your own evaluation, visit and talk to people face to face, read articles and whatever else get you information. Just don't rely on a Topix site for valid info.
witchy wow

Strawberry Plains, TN

#88 Oct 3, 2013
Archie wrote:
Opinions on Topix are very seldom accurate or valid. I would not take any of these posts to heart. Make your own evaluation, visit and talk to people face to face, read articles and whatever else get you information. Just don't rely on a Topix site for valid info.
Kudos :)
Billy Bob

United States

#89 Oct 6, 2013
welcomemyazz wrote:
<quoted text>It's because you are from Kentucky. Maybe you should move back to Kentucky with the clan.
ya shure got sum purdy lips!
chicago trasplant

Maryville, TN

#90 Oct 9, 2013
I have lived here for 2 years. In my experience if you are not a member of a church you will be extremely lonely. Last Sunday I had a stranger come up to me and say "it looks like we are being invaded!" It took me a few minutes to realize he was talking about a group of 4 black people who were walking in. I was horrified that he thought I would participate in such behavior and that he felt so comfortable openly saying such things to a stranger. We moved here for my husbands job. We are taking about moving the second a transfer presents itself. This maybe a Republican state, however I don't know any Republicans that anti social or intolerant
TN Voter

Kennewick, WA

#91 Oct 9, 2013
penny wrote:
<quoted text>
You're embarrassed because you thought California was up north, huh hickett?
Ok look; SOUTH of Tennessee is Alabama, Mississippi, & Georgia...
WEST is Arkansas,
EAST is North Carolina
NORTH is Kentucky.
If you'd just change the engine on your trailer and drive it outside the city limits...you'll discover a whole world out there!
Good night John Boy
Ummmmmmmm you forgot a state there genius and knowing of all.....
TN Voter

Kennewick, WA

#92 Oct 9, 2013
Knoxville Tennessee is a good city. As with all cities it has its good sections and bad sections. It has good hospitals, good restaurants, and there's lots to do. You will run into all kinds of people in Knoxville Tennessee because Knoxville Tennessee is full of people from all over the United States....
TN Voter

Kennewick, WA

#93 Oct 9, 2013
chicago trasplant wrote:
I have lived here for 2 years. In my experience if you are not a member of a church you will be extremely lonely. Last Sunday I had a stranger come up to me and say "it looks like we are being invaded!" It took me a few minutes to realize he was talking about a group of 4 black people who were walking in. I was horrified that he thought I would participate in such behavior and that he felt so comfortable openly saying such things to a stranger. We moved here for my husbands job. We are taking about moving the second a transfer presents itself. This maybe a Republican state, however I don't know any Republicans that anti social or intolerant
Well move to the inner city of Chicago.... Move west and you'll see folks that would say the same and Illinois is democrat and south Chicago is very intolerant of anyone who is not black.. I bet living in Chicago that you never went to the grocery store in south Chicago .... Basically what I'm saying is that you'll run into racism all over this nation... Read the news papers and see for yourself
San Diego to Knoxville

Aiea, HI

#94 Nov 3, 2013
Rick2-California wrote:
Hi-- Any California transplantsin Knoxvlle? If U R how did U adjust to Knoxville and the South after California.?? Would you do the same ( move there) again?
Thanks
[email protected]
I moved out of knoxville to live in California. After spending over a year in San Diego, I'm moving back to knoxville. Basically I love the slower pace, because its just right. There's always something happening but you don't have to fight every single person in the city just to go drive down the street. The cost of living, comparatively, is wonderful. You have real mountains and lush greenery instead of desert. I am from knoxville originally, so maybe I'm used to it. I'll have to disagree with people talking about the whole hillbilly side of things. A lot of people in California that I told I was moving all assumed it was awful here, and that people just sit around all day playing the banjo and hating gays. It is more republican, more conservative, and more religious. Then again, everyone knows its a red state so why would that be a shock. But I still think that there are a lot of open minded people in the state. It truly depends where you go. I was always brought up to accept everyone, and I think a lot of the newer generation is getting better about that. The south is an area all about community, people usually are born here, grow up here, and live here their whole lives. That basically means newer ideas aren't brought in as much because people are usually brought up partially with what their parents were brought up with, but its still getting better as time goes by. Either way, I've lived in what people (read: Californians) consider the greatest city known to mankind where you're stupid to leave. Most of the people here have never travelled past Las Vegas. I am unsatisfied with it here, and I'm so excited to move back to knoxville. 26 days to go! But for the record, don't tell anyone that Tennessee is great, everyone would move here and it'd get overcrowded and be like the southern LA

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#95 Nov 4, 2013
chicago trasplant wrote:
I would say the same thing.. Honestly if I was in church and saw blacks come in, I would wonder why for damn sure. I mean most of my life going to church here in the north although more when I was a kid, it was never interracial.. these days I am not sure as I have not gone to church in awhile but yea easily.. I even wonder what they're doing in some stores where I see them shopping let alone a place of worship. Blacks IN THEIR OWN COMMUNITIES can do all they want, be CEO's, doctors, lawyers.. I just would not prefer them to share the same places that I do or even live in the same neighborhood, but most people here in the North can't openly admit that. I give props to a lot of the South for standing their ground on the race issue and not pussyfoot around it.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#96 Nov 4, 2013
Now onto me, some random guy who found the Knoxville forum:

I will start off by saying that I live in the blue state of MA, place of high corruption and spending and rude people. Not as bad as California, but still not too far behind and getting close to unliveable and gun control laws that are some of the worst in the nation. The coastal places are too liberal and overbearing for my taste whether its East or West.. my goal now is to move more inland because socially its better anyhow.

I am seeking a place with less traffic and nicer people, but with the same amenities that other big metro areas have like a Boston or a Seattle, Tampa type city but where you also have the option to live in the country for cheap as well. I spent time in South Florida when I did live in the South, but I still got doses of the real South If say I went to Tampa or St Pete depending on where it was.

I may visit Knoxville one day in the next few years sometime and then could look to move if I really like the area. You wouldn't have to worry about me changing the culture because to me the point of a move is to get something different, not get more of the same thing or just stick to my own fellow Northeast transplants like people did in Florida. I'd look to blend in as best as possible despite my strong accent. I take the Souths side if America has future problems with the split that may be happening in up and coming years although the new thing may be the South growing economically while the North becomes stagnant, but you know, the war could happen again if the North gets jealous. All I can say is God I hope not, but its possible depending too.
One Choice

Everett, WA

#97 Nov 18, 2013
It's funny all the negative comments from people about all the intolerant, conservative, hypocritical, Bible believing people in Knoxville , yet they sound exactly as intolerant as the people they accuse of being close minded.

It's hard to kick against the pricks isn't it. If your not sure what that means I would suggest picking up one of those dreadful Bibles and figuring it out.
Knoxville Man

Knoxville, TN

#98 Nov 18, 2013
One Choice wrote:
It's funny all the negative comments from people about all the intolerant, conservative, hypocritical, Bible believing people in Knoxville , yet they sound exactly as intolerant as the people they accuse of being close minded.
It's hard to kick against the pricks isn't it. If your not sure what that means I would suggest picking up one of those dreadful Bibles and figuring it out.
It is also not true. I have yet to see anyone not be welcomed into our church. Some people want the church to validate the things they are doing and get upset when the church continues to call their behavior exactly what it is, sin before God. It always amazes me that people want validation and when they don't get it they want the church to change instead of them. Sad, really. Knoxville is a good place and has thew same some of the same faults as other cities this size. Remember you have to show yourself friendly in order to have friends.
Lonetraveler

Anaheim, CA

#99 Dec 6, 2013
I am hoping to move out to Knoxville this summer and I have never been to Knoxville before. I love the places I have seen or lived in Tennessee and I am expecting Knoxville to be just as nice. As for the Republican domination of the area comment, do you blame them for being a little upset if you are a liberal? Lets reverse the situation, lets say California has been working wonderfully for the liberals, but now a bunch of conservative from failed conservative states are moving into your utopia. With this increase in conservative voters, laws start changing your state into a conservative political landscape and you are no longer feeling welcomed in your own state. You would be upset right? That is how people feel in states like Texas and Tennessee. Liberals are coming in and changing the political landscape into ones more similar to the failed states of NY and California. So if your liberal stay in liberal states where you can have your way. If your conservative stay in the conservative states. It is that simple, if you follow that simple rule you will never feel not welcomed where you live.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#100 Dec 6, 2013
I heard that Knoxville did'nt have much of a black population....much smaller percentage than other medium-sized cities....is that true?
Satar

Knoxville, TN

#101 Dec 27, 2013
Stay away from this place. Horrible schools, local economy consist of gas stations and chain stores. Lots of drug abuse, religious racist whack jobs, with kids that have kids by 18. These people suffer from generations of corrupted genes from what I can only assume is a massive amount of inbreeding. Zero and I mean Zero culture. Unless you count the traditions of the hillbilly and all their mountain folk brethren who relish in the time honored tradition of DRINKING THEIR LIFE AWAY ONE CHEAP BEER AT A TIME WHILE GOING BROKE BECAUSE THEY SMOKE TWO PACKS A DAY Lol this place is hands down one of shittiest places I have ever been to. DO NOT PLAN ON RAISING A FAMILY HERE, your children will be IV drug addicts and smoking crack within ten years , or dating some one who is. Plan on seeing someone you know in the local arrest paper at least once a month for things like domestic violence and DUI. Hill folk rejects bathed in toxic oak ridge waters who consider selling pills from a pain clinic to their own friends and family to be a pretty great life, yeah avoid at all cost.
TruthorDare

Homer Glen, IL

#102 Jan 26, 2014
TN Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
Well don't come to Tennessee... You're right ok... Why are you still there! It's a terrible place, go back up to the shitholes up north, wait I meant to say gods country up there, yeah, great place up there... Unemployment is what? Around 50%? That's great! You'll have a 50% chance on getting a great job..... Real low taxes too... Please leave now...
One thing about these darn hillbillies, they place their butt's somewhere and think they own it, well most of us Northerner's wouldn't live amongst your kind anyway,and as far as unemployment what the hell are you talking about, the Southern states are worst off then we are, in case you haven't heard lately, the Southern states especially one's depending on coal-mining are gone, and your states are practically bankrupted with so many on the draw…… If it wasn't for tourism in Nashville or the Smokey Mountain's, Tenn. your great state would have little Revenue to balance out….and as far as "Please Leave Now", who are you, guess I just can't stand complete Ignorance especially when your hiding behind that great southern hospitality "you all" speak of….Just as I can't tell a bunch of hillbillies to stay South…That's the problem with hillbillies they claim entitlement…Notice I said hillbillies !!!!!
TruthorDare

Homer Glen, IL

#103 Jan 26, 2014
By the way, I forgot to mention, TN Voter, guess you also figure you have some extreme clout because you vote, oh boy, his got a voter's card,Hippie!!!
The Bro

United States

#105 Jan 26, 2014
Crooked Politicians wrote:
The people in TN are bone head and losers . They voted for Bill Haslam of Pilot. Oil Co as Gov of TN. All oil companies are crooked . Look at the other political scum in TN - SENATOR CORKER , ALEXANDER AND THIS LOSER DUNCAN ! AMERICA IS IMPLODING ! Folks we have a very useless crooked government in the history of the USA .
Whoa, man! Yuze a loser! An' y'uze a nut job!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knoxville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Burchett for governor? The Knox County mayor is... 2 hr BB Board 2
The Best and Worse Presidents since WW2 5 hr James 4
wbir/abby ham (Dec '11) 17 hr SnarkyMcD 237
News Knoxville tops list of high gas prices in Tenne... 19 hr ElDiablo 9
Knox County's 24 hour arrest and inmat populat... (Oct '12) Sat Hump Hammer 7
DCS, Youth Villages, and others lie in court. (Apr '11) Fri Fedupwithkidsforcash 34
News TBI investigates missing records at Lenoir City... (Jan '11) Fri AIPAC is treason 116

Knoxville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Knoxville Mortgages