Is Knoxville,TN a nice place to live?
Gracie

Madison, WI

#24 Jul 20, 2013
I couldn't help but be a little put off by the " republican" comments. having lived in a liberal infested area my whole life and trying so hard to understand the mindset, I feel it would be a blessing to live in a more conservative minded area. Being from the midwest, I find the idea of mountains truly inspiring. My husband and I love the outdoors but feel somewhat limited in summer because of the intense humidity here. I would like to know what cost of living looks like in the Knoxville area. Currently we pay approximately $625/mo. for our large 2 bedroom town home. We are very community oriented and love get- togethers with neighbors, etc. Living in a large city now, it is hard to find good neighbors.
Back in KY

Frankfort, KY

#25 Jul 20, 2013
I moved to Knoxville for a job when I finished grad school. I'm from a small KY town that happens to be the capital. To me Ktown is a big town. It has a nice feel to it, it's nice-looking, there is plenty to do, the cost of living is low, ends there are SO many good restaurants. As far as the people, they were really no different than in KY. there are terrific people wherever you go. areas to look at: Fountain City, Bearden, Maryville, West Knoxville, Farragut. I would have been happy to stay in Knoxville, I only left to be near my family when it was time to have kids, and frankfort is beautiful.
ihatethebiblebel t

Knoxville, TN

#26 Jul 22, 2013
This place sucks. I have lived in lots of other cities and states and I have never in my life had a harder time making friends. There are tons of religious folks who believe in the bible literally but are nothing but hypocrites. Seriously. I have never met more toothless idiots than I have here and I grew up in KY. Believe me, I will be leaving this shithole asap! There is not much to do and a trendous lack of diversity.
ihatethebiblebel t

Knoxville, TN

#27 Jul 22, 2013
Oops, tremendous.
from Kentucky

Knoxville, TN

#28 Jul 24, 2013
Lots of south Baptists here. I have been to several large Baptist churches and was treated poorly. The people were unfriendly
just me

United States

#30 Jul 24, 2013
yes it is nice.
sounds like

United States

#31 Jul 26, 2013
from Kentucky wrote:
Lots of south Baptists here. I have been to several large Baptist churches and was treated poorly. The people were unfriendly
atheist much!
welcomemyazz

Knoxville, TN

#32 Jul 26, 2013
from Kentucky wrote:
It's because you are from Kentucky. Maybe you should move back to Kentucky with the clan.
tim

United States

#33 Jul 27, 2013
welcomemyazz wrote:
<quoted text>It's because you are from Kentucky. Maybe you should move back to Kentucky with the clan.
does not sound too christian
George Zimmerman

Knoxville, TN

#34 Jul 27, 2013
I moved here. I'm heading over to East Knoxville for some quality hunting.
Knoxvillian

Clover, SC

#35 Jul 28, 2013
I moved to Knoxville from Memphis, TN. I love Knoxville! I am originally from California, but I don't mind the southern charm East Tn has to offer. Most people are so nice compared to the attitude you get in Memphis. Knoxville offers what a larger city has, but without a lot of the negative aspects of larger urban areas. The downtown area is great. Nice bars/pubs and restaurants. Most offer live local music. Only 3 hours to Nashville and about 4 to Atlanta, so easily can make a fun shopping trip. All in all a great place to live. Maybe I'm just an optimist though ;)
Dan the Man

United States

#36 Jul 28, 2013
if yo do not like it here jes leave and take your hi faluting attitudes and turned up noses with you. we will be sur to have bubba make sure you are on your way.
knox

United States

#37 Jul 29, 2013
I love it
KGarden

Des Moines, IA

#38 Aug 5, 2013
Considering Knoxville for retirement. It has been in the top 3 possibilities. But after reading this blog reconsidering. Getting encouraging comments but it appears that the 'natives' not welcoming of those not born and breed there. If I wanted that attitude I would just stay in small town IA. Where if you were not born and raised here you will never be from here.
Could a person who just wants to make a few good friends, garden, have a good Y system and Quaker church while not interested in U of TN sports make it in Knoxville?
Ella

Indianapolis, IN

#39 Aug 17, 2013
Wow! Why does there have to be someone in every post who has to be a total jerk! You know who you are too. TN is full of rn's and hb's. Hey, guy from New England, I would go back to New England if I were in your shoes. Nothing compares to the beauty up there and there are a lot more educated people who still have their teeth without the freaking humidity. I was up in Vermont for a couple of months this summer and plan on going back to stay. Again, nothing compares to the beauty of the mountains up north. Way to go North!!!!
Kec

Charlotte, NC

#40 Aug 17, 2013
Balderdash wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like we would all be better off if you left. Don't let us keep you. You can be just as miserable up north, so go for it.
This is a great example, of the "personalities" of the lovely people of Knoxville. I lived there for 12 years. Please don't get me weong, there are some really great people that I have met from there, but most of them, hasn't lived in Knoxville, there whole life. The majority is definitely Republican, there is not a lot of diversity, and yes, tons of baptists!!! Most people in Knoxville are from Knoxville, stay in Knoxville, their kids stay in Knoxville, and so on. I think this is the reason for their politics, religion, it is the same thinking, generation after generatiin. I thought the schools were pretty good, but after moving, I saw that Knox County schools were pretty far behind. My daughter's fourth grade class was reviewing lessons at the beginning of the year, from the previous year, lessons my daughter hadn't even started in Knoxville. Thank goodness, she was able to catch on pretty quick and hasn't had any problems since. The teacher's here are more involved, aware of the studen's strengths, their weaknesses in subjects, very different from Knoxville, but in a great way! I hear that Maryville schools are really good, and that really is a beautiful area!
Kec

Charlotte, NC

#41 Aug 17, 2013
sounds like wrote:
<quoted text>
atheist much!
Gotta love people from Knoxville, their thinking or maybe a lack there of? They are great!!
Kec

Charlotte, NC

#42 Aug 17, 2013
ihatethebiblebelt wrote:
This place sucks. I have lived in lots of other cities and states and I have never in my life had a harder time making friends. There are tons of religious folks who believe in the bible literally but are nothing but hypocrites. Seriously. I have never met more toothless idiots than I have here and I grew up in KY. Believe me, I will be leaving this shithole asap! There is not much to do and a trendous lack of diversity.
I use to think I was the only one that saw the crazy, mindless, religious, hypocrisy, that inundates Knoxville. I think it is largely due to the fact that there are a lot of people that are born there and have never left, generations, after generations, so they have the same beliefs, mentality, of their great, great grandparents. My parents were born and raised there, but left when they were in their early 20's and haven't been back. Once I moved there, I kept saying, I can't believe you guys grew up here, you are nothing like the majority of people here! Then I thanked them for leaving and not raising me there. After my children were born, I knew I had to get out!
Kec

Charlotte, NC

#43 Aug 17, 2013
Dan the Man wrote:
if yo do not like it here jes leave and take your hi faluting attitudes and turned up noses with you. we will be sur to have bubba make sure you are on your way.
Seriously, you have to be making fun of people from Knoxville, right??
Mai7

Memphis, TN

#44 Sep 24, 2013
People are so sensitive. You can't give an opinion based on your experience w/o someone getting offended. I lived in Knoxville for a short time in the 80's, I believe, and found the people very nice. I didn't like Knoxville's zoo. I thought it wasn't safe enough. Ex. Lion's area look like chicken wire. And large thick wood fence with wide openings at the bottom on a hill separating you from the Rhinocerous below..scary. A kid could easily fall thru the gap to where the beast was.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knoxville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
wbir/abby ham (Dec '11) 53 min Silentninja 66
News Mandatory Waiting Periods Are Making Abortions ... 1 hr South Knox Hombre 3
News Knoxville police search for stolen vehicle 17 hr South Knox Hombre 1
News Nissan recalling Altima and Sentra cars over se... (Nov '07) Sat toywrench 22
News OUR STORIES: The legendary life of Knoxville's ... (Apr '07) Sat Friend of Jackie 3
The Village Barn (Oct '10) Fri old timer gloria 27
News Sevierville auto dealer facing tax evasion charge (Jan '08) Jun 24 Tweeter 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Knoxville Mortgages