rural metro takes 45 minutes to get t...

rural metro takes 45 minutes to get to an emergency!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted in the Knoxville Forum

Wow Again

Knoxville, TN

#1 Jul 26, 2007
Another news channel had a story on the 6-o'clock news today about how it took RURAL METRO 45 MINUTES TO GET TO THE SCENE OF AN EMERGENCY! KFD was on the scene in 3 minutes and they pulled the audio of the fire department radio talking to dispatch and at first they were told that R/M couldn't find the address (By The Way it is usually the one with the big red fire truck already sitting there) then they started another R/M ambulance who never got there either and KFD FINALLY ASKED FOR A PRO-MED AMBULANCE before the first R/M ambulance found it!!!!
~
45-minutes it took them to get to a man that was having a stroke!
~
This is such a joke! Why do we, and the city/county officials continue to allow this to go on!!?? This makes me so mad that THE RURAL/METRO MANAGEMENT STILL MAKES EXCUSES and the only response their General Manager had on the news was that 'we are over our 90% quota for the week'!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!! IS THAT IT!!!>>>What a problem we have and it is time something is done!!
~
God bless all of the hard-working EMT's and PARAMEDICS that are working for such a horrible, money-driven, ill-managed company! I hope someone comes in and gives them a better work enviroment to work in because ANYTHING WOULD BE BETTER THAN THIS!!!
Concerned

Knoxville, TN

#2 Jul 26, 2007
Not Suprising. What an outrage, someone needs to do something. Whatever happened to 'when seconds count?' Guess they should consider changing that!
Concerned

Knoxville, TN

#3 Jul 26, 2007
I found the link for everyone else so they can see it for theirselves:
~
http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/874...
Joe

Knoxville, TN

#4 Jul 27, 2007
Yet another reason I do not feel safe in Knox County. If it weren't for the Knoxville Fire Department it would be just like living in the wild wild west and we would all be on our own!
Hahaha--no really

Knoxville, TN

#5 Jul 27, 2007
What a Joke! PLEASE GET ANOTHER EMS COMPANY IN HERE! I live in the city and I SO WISH THAT KFD WOULD TAKE OVER THE AMBULANCE RESPONSIBILITIES IN THE CITY! Maybe someone should start calling council members and tell them!
Please Let KFD in

Knoxville, TN

#6 Jul 27, 2007
Please!
RuralMetro

Knoxville, TN

#7 Oct 2, 2010
If the citizens of Knox County only knew half of what really happens behind closed doors at Rural/Metro they would be appauled. Rural/Metro does not have the patients (citizens of Knox Co.) best interests at heart and they never will. They are a corporation and they are there to make money, period. I have had the honor of working alongside some absolutely wonderful and talented medics, however those are few and far between. RM must meet a 10 minute time limit 90% of the time (there are some exceptions). They will do whatever they can do to meet this deadline including putting dangerous and untrained personnel on the street. RM requires the bare minimum on licensure and could care less how good of a healthcare professional you are. As long as you are a warm body with a license that says paramedic they will put you on the road to help their understaffed fleet. RM flat out does not put enough medic units on the road and knows this. RM Blount and RM Loudon County are requested for mutual aid weekly if not daily sometimes when RM Knox sends all their ambulances on non-emergency runs (guaranteed money). This means the ambulance sent to your dad or mom having a heart attack may be coming from Lenoir City or Maryville. In addition to knowingly understaffing they are notorius for sending the ambulances designated to respond to emergencies off the road and to take grandma and grandpa back to the nursing home. Now with that being said.. I'm not stating it isn't part of our job to return patients who are physically or mentally handicapped, but I am claiming it is incredibly wrong to take 1/4 to 1/2 of these off the road at one time leaving people including my family with so many fewer ambulances. RM is so worried about losing business to other area convalescent services it puts the safety of the public including MY friends and family at risk. The operating guidelines (what paramedics can and can't do) leave MUCH to be desired. As a medic who has worked many other area services I can honetly say our guidelines/protocols are a joke. I can honestly say in most cases you would be better off just to drive to an ER in Knoxville instead of call 911 and wait for RM. And the sad part is some of the people they employ I wouldn't allow to even take care of a pet. The equipment is old and outdated. Tools and new developments that other county services provide to help take care of their patients are not provided at RM as they cost money. It's so incredibly wrong that the citizens of Knox county don't receive the best medics with the best equipment and resources to help them out and aid in their jobs. Management at RM holds their employees jobs as bargaining tools to get their employees to do what they say. These employees that have children and families to support are threatened with termination if orders are not carried out. Employees are treated terrible and the morale is terrible. If you happen to ask another EMS provider in the region that runs emergency 911 services you would be surprised that RM is thought of as a joke of an emergency medical service. In my opinion there is NO excuse to not have the industry gold standards in equipment and resources available to aid our crews in taking care of patients and lives. In my opinion Knox County needs to have a county run ambulance service like the majority of the state is.
reason why

Nashville, TN

#8 Oct 3, 2010
no gas stations closes to sleep in the parking lot ,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knoxville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Parkridge Historic Zoning dead at City Coincil 2 min Historic Dictators 3
Art Of The Deal 3.1 by Kim Jung Un 8 min no golf game 3
News Suspect Wanted in Two Armed Robberies 55 min Uncle Tom 2
News Teen murder suspect gives birth to baby boy (Mar '08) 8 hr Vanessa 42
News 3 GOP candidates for Tennessee governor face of... 8 hr No doubt 1
News Want to Listen to Police Scanners? Cops Say No ... 15 hr Bubba work real hard 9
News KPD said a woman died from her injuries in the ... 15 hr Bubba work real hard 3

Knoxville Jobs

Personal Finance

Knoxville Mortgages