Controversial Loudon County school site eyed for sell-off

Nov 29, 2012 Full story: Knoxville News Sentinel 27

When the Loudon County school board paid $2.2 million for 80 acres of land on U.S. Highway 321 in Lenoir City back in 2006, the deal was controversial.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
disgusted

Knoxville, TN

#1 Nov 29, 2012
I don't understand why DAG Russ Johnson refused to investigate the Highway 321 land deal.

I hope taxpayers raise cane about those idiots on the school board who now want to unload the land so they can buy more land.
Kathy

Knoxville, TN

#2 Nov 29, 2012
What kind of irresponsible elected officials would buy land they didn't need at the height of the market? No wonder Shaver wanted it investigated. I'd almost want to believe that corruption was involved. The only alternate theory is complete stupidity.
Max

Knoxville, TN

#3 Nov 29, 2012
How can they justify a four million plus appraisal value? Thanks again to Van Shaver for bringing us the facts. Glad he is back online.
Whut

Midland, NC

#4 Nov 30, 2012
Kathy wrote:
What kind of irresponsible elected officials would buy land they didn't need at the height of the market? No wonder Shaver wanted it investigated. I'd almost want to believe that corruption was involved. The only alternate theory is complete stupidity.
Answer; Government official
Loudon Fan

Knoxville, TN

#5 Nov 30, 2012
I have never figured out how the BOE bought the land in the first place without making a public appeal to the County Commission for the money.
Kathy

Knoxville, TN

#6 Nov 30, 2012
Loudon Fan wrote:
I have never figured out how the BOE bought the land in the first place without making a public appeal to the County Commission for the money.
This deal is a legacy of the "infamous $12 million" that the school borrowed for reasons unknown back around 2000. The school department borrowed the money, the county used some of the money to build an industrial park, some was used to overpay for the land on 321,and the rest of it, who knows.

One of the largest single line items on the school board budget ever year since has been the payment on this loan. The school board should not be allowed to borrow money, they just are smart enough to be trusted with it.

Your school board is basically made up of low level political hacks trying to build up a little political capital so they can move on the county commission or get their niece a job as a teacher.

Bunch of ignorant hicks like Leroy Tate and former board member Bill Marcus(probably the best educated ignorant hick in Loudon County)decided they wanted to spend a little cash, maybe help out friends and cronies like EDAs Pat Phillips pump up the property values.
Ray

Knoxville, TN

#7 Nov 30, 2012
It is what it is. Until this generation of cronies gets to old to shuffle into City Hall you are stuck with them. They have your money to spend to do whatever it takes to keep themselves in office. And they know exactly what it takes and how to get it done.
Don't expect any help from anyone inside or outside Loudon County. Nobody is smarter or craftier or politically savy than your guys are. Nobody in Nashville and nobody in Washington gives a sh$$ about your stupid little city or county. Live with it or move,
Kathy

Knoxville, TN

#8 Nov 30, 2012
Ray wrote:
It is what it is. Until this generation of cronies gets to old to shuffle into City Hall you are stuck with them. They have your money to spend to do whatever it takes to keep themselves in office. And they know exactly what it takes and how to get it done.
Don't expect any help from anyone inside or outside Loudon County. Nobody is smarter or craftier or politically savy than your guys are. Nobody in Nashville and nobody in Washington gives a sh$$ about your stupid little city or county. Live with it or move,
Let's all thank Roy for those words of inspiration.
Pissy Mistic

Knoxville, TN

#9 Nov 30, 2012
I agree with Roy.
Sara Casm

Charlotte, NC

#10 Dec 1, 2012
Kathy wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's all thank Roy for those words of inspiration.
I don't see any Roy. But I sure agree with Ray.
Whut

AOL

#11 Dec 2, 2012
twins
Old Timer

Louisville, TN

#12 Dec 2, 2012
Kathy wrote:
You might want to follow the money to see who was in on this deal. Check to see if Bud Gilbert or his law firm was involved, or if that inside land speculator, who walked off with more than $1 million profit on an overnight transaction, is related to or has a connection with them. Bud Gilbert is involved in everything that happens in this area. It's called a Good Old boy Mafia and he appears to be their lawyer. The way that land deal was handled indicates it was a planned deal. That site wasn't even in consideration until the session where it was announced as the selected site. If it wasn't planned,how did that guy know to go out there and get an option to buy on the land? There were two other sites under consideration and this one was never mentioned until it was announced it was the selected site. What we need here is a RICO investigation. I'll bet those RICO boys could uncover a lot more similar deals pulled off by the same people. But you got to remember, these crooks have a high up Federal elected protector. You be the judge. Who has been sitting in his Congressional office the longest and who's daddy sat in the same office berfore him? One thing you know for sure. If there is money sitting around not allocated for a specific project, those boys are going to get it one way or the other.
Goose

Thomasville, NC

#13 Dec 2, 2012
disgusted wrote:
I don't understand why DAG Russ Johnson refused to investigate the Highway 321 land deal.
I hope taxpayers raise cane about those idiots on the school board who now want to unload the land so they can buy more land.
Asking DAG Russ Johnson to investigate the Loudon/Roane County government mafia is like asking Roger Clemens to investigate steroids in baseball.

Johnson is one of the players on that roster.
Marcia

Knoxville, TN

#14 Dec 3, 2012
http://www.vanshaver.com/lenoir_city_debating...

Can someone explain what is going on here? Is it another bait & switch or the old switcheroo? Either way sounds like the taxpayers are picking up another increase in insurance premiums sold to us by Mr. Wampler?
With the same old same old we will probably never know.
Word To The Wise

Louisville, TN

#15 Dec 3, 2012
Marcia wrote:
http://www.vanshaver.com/lenoi r_city_debating_employee_in.ht m
Can someone explain what is going on here? Is it another bait & switch or the old switcheroo? Either way sounds like the taxpayers are picking up another increase in insurance premiums sold to us by Mr. Wampler?
With the same old same old we will probably never know.
Everybody in this area is being ripped off on insurance. When I discovered my son in law was getting over $600,000 worth of coverage on a house located up a one lane dirt trail way up in the mountains about 20 miles from the nearest fire station for the same amount I was paying for $200,000 coverage here I called his insurance agent in Ohio who sold me $25,000 more coverage than I had here for half what I was paying this local agent. I checked out all the agents in this area and all of them are within a few dollars of each other on their rates. The insurance companie aren't the only ones who are ripping us off here. From two governors who were convicted of criminal acts, to Judge William Russell running an extortion racket using the county's Small Claims Court, to County elected officials redistributing your money amongst themsleves using bogus land deals and unnescessary overpriced unneeded projects, this whole state is steeped in corruption. Too bad the FBI killed the KKK. If it was ever needed, it is needed now, because there is no justice for anyone but the elite few in this state.
Marcia

Knoxville, TN

#16 Dec 3, 2012
I could go along with most of what you said until you made the redneck racist remark at the end of your statement.
Nothing you say is credible after that.
Loudon Joe

Loudon, TN

#17 Dec 4, 2012
Ray wrote:
You can count on Loudon County Courts and Government to NOT INVESTIGATE anyone associated with them (add LC City to list).
a partial list 1) school land buy of over1million over fair value
2) Rarity Bay tax values rigged lower by Arp
3)L C City bought by city ( Sun Trust BLD) from local LC Pol's ,no disclosure.
4)Set up for new land purchases by Loudon county School Board for new School and watch new building at Greenback, Phil and Loudon.
5) Our local law enforcemenr (R. J.) refused to charge Arp and Ross BUT the FED's are charginging Ross. Now go after ARP and other Loudon county POL's.
Ray

Knoxville, TN

#18 Dec 4, 2012
Nobody has guts enough. The ones with the power have it all. This is how corrupt governmrnt works. You get enough people with too much to lose to talk or who know more than they should because they have gotten dragged in gradually over time. Even TBI cant seem to outsmart the local elites.
FEDs maybe if anybody ever gets offered immunity to tell what they know.
Oldie But Goodie

Knoxville, TN

#19 Dec 4, 2012
Ray wrote:
Nobody has guts enough. The ones with the power have it all. This is how corrupt governmrnt works. You get enough people with too much to lose to talk or who know more than they should because they have gotten dragged in gradually over time. Even TBI cant seem to outsmart the local elites.
FEDs maybe if anybody ever gets offered immunity to tell what they know.
Hmmm wonder who would jump on that deal first. Aint it usully the ring leader.
Word To The Wise

Louisville, TN

#20 Dec 4, 2012
Marcia wrote:
I could go along with most of what you said until you made the redneck racist remark at the end of your statement.
Nothing you say is credible after that.
Sorry you don't agree with me on that, but the KKK came into being when citizens had no recourse under the law and decided to put sheets over thier heads and get justice in the night. Our situation is almost similar to what it was back then. The KKK wasn't racist in the beginning. It was a vigilante group that decided that if the courts and government was not honest, citizens had to take matters into their own hands. Everything is for sale in this area, including justice. When the whole system is corrupt as it is here, what other suggestion would you like to make. Don't count on the US govt. to come to your assistance. All they are interested in is promoting unequal justice and protecting criminals from prosecution. If you don't beleive that, tell me why those (black) gangs of "teens" who are looting store in what they call Waves, and beating up white people ont he streets, are not being rounded up and prosecuted. Stores have them on camera so there should be any problem. This country is on the verge of anachry because the government won't prosecute crtain protected classes. People will tolerate this crap for just so long and the sheets and guns will come out, and vigilantes will be meting out justice..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knoxville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bhg methadone center phones off 50 min It saved my life 5
Jackie Emory 7 hr girl on girl 1
Why are we Christians allowing this 10 hr Fed up 1
Tony Mcafee Cult leader 12 hr Mildred 15
Anderson County Sheriff's Office Patrol Corpora... 13 hr oh the stupidity 5
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 15 hr ucanthandletruth 9,444
Heaven 16 hr TaterTot 1
•••
•••
Knoxville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Knoxville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Knoxville People Search