One killed, another injured in East Knoxville shooting

The Knoxville Police Department is investigating a murder at the Walter P. Taylor apartments. Read more
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Get Real

Madison, TN

#1 Apr 20, 2008
Just another Saturday night in the jungle. Kill or be killed is the name of the game.
johnny

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Apr 20, 2008
bad deal

“global warming is a hoax”

Since: Apr 08

knoxville

#3 Apr 20, 2008
Get Real wrote:
Just another Saturday night in the jungle. Kill or be killed is the name of the game.
sure seems to be the case.
Ghetto Gangsta

Knoxville, TN

#4 Apr 20, 2008
Ok... It's on Martin Luther King... We don't need 50 posts about which side of town it's on.
Pete

AOL

#5 Apr 20, 2008
AINT East Knoxville WONDERFUL?

Since: Mar 08

Knoxville

#6 Apr 20, 2008
Pete wrote:
AINT East Knoxville WONDERFUL?
It's not as bad as WEST Knoxville which has had more murders in the last 8 years than East Knoxville. The South side is the best with less than 1/4 the murders of WEST Knoxville. This information came from KPD/KCSO published in KNS back in March.

MLK

Brentwood, TN

#7 Apr 20, 2008
More violence coming from that neighborhood what a suprise

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#9 Apr 20, 2008
This is the first homicide this month after having five in March. I was hoping that the "dry" spell would hold up a bit longer--there were no homicides in January or in November 2007, but October and December were very bad last year. This one sounds like a planned assassination, probably part of some larger phenomenon like a gang war.

Anyone know what's going on?
Steve

Morristown, TN

#10 Apr 20, 2008
A killing on MLK.....how surprising!
the rest of the story

Knoxville, TN

#11 Apr 20, 2008
South Knox wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not as bad as WEST Knoxville which has had more murders in the last 8 years than East Knoxville. The South side is the best with less than 1/4 the murders of WEST Knoxville. This information came from KPD/KCSO published in KNS back in March.
yes but those murders where committed from people that lived east.
Bubba

Maryville, TN

#12 Apr 20, 2008
South Knox wrote:
<quoted text>
Dream on

Knoxville

#13 Apr 20, 2008
Pete wrote:
I saw that crap about West Knoxville. What they don't tell you is how many THUGS from East Knoxville committed these crimes. pickings are better in West Knox. they are not all on welfare or dope.
It's not crap, it's facts and most are drug related. Pointing to other areas like you do won't solve the crime problem.

Did you know that the several apartments behind West Town are Section 8 housing? Many of the older apartment buildings and houses in west Knoxville are being rented out to Section 8. Which is welfare housing just like Walter P. Taylor Homes. Section 8 housing is growing fast in west Knoxville and no one seems to care. Home sales in west Knoxville are off more than any other sector of Knoxville. Whereas east Knox County home sales had the least drop in percentage of sales.

West Knoxville is a great area, I grew up there and my parents live in Farragut. I also know that the area is changing and only a few people are willing to knowledge it to solve the problem.

Several years ago some apartments in Sequoyah were renting to low income and Western Plaza had several empty spaces. The neighbors got together and found a buyer for the apartments who updated the building to high value condos. Sequoyah Hills is still the best area of Knoxville because of the neighbors who live there. When new shops moved into Western Plaza the neighbors supported the business, now Western Plaza is a destination for shoppers who live miles away. Investors are renewing Sutherland Avenue and new businesses are moving in.

Walter P. Taylor Homes is the most dangerous area in Knoxville, but one mile east of there it's as safe as most any part of Knoxville. Magnolia Avenue was once the showplace of Knoxville, now look at it. Don't hide from facts and let west Knoxville drop so low it may never recover. It's worth saving.

Citizen

Maryville, TN

#14 Apr 20, 2008
Just wait until next month when I40-75 is closed through the downtown area. This will throw a lot of traffic over onto McCalla, Magnolia, Mlk Blvd. etc. Watch the crime rate in that area jump up even higher.
Ed Fitalo

Nashville, TN

#15 Apr 20, 2008
If you ever find yourself on Martin Luther King Road, Street, Blvd, etc. in any city after 11PM, you know you're in trouble.

Knoxville

#16 Apr 20, 2008
Citizen wrote:
Just wait until next month when I40-75 is closed through the downtown area. This will throw a lot of traffic over onto McCalla, Magnolia, Mlk Blvd. etc. Watch the crime rate in that area jump up even higher.
Magnolia Ave is not bad, but your right about MLK. I didn't know where Walter P. Taylor Homes were until about a year ago. I tried to bypass some construction on Magnolia and cautiously drove down McCalla Ave and when you intersect MLK you know it! Cars with crowds of people around it were blocking traffic and I assume by making deals in the middle of the street.

If you have to use that area you need to know where Walter Taylor is, and the area near Cherry St south of I-40, the rest of the area is probably safe.
not news

Hollywood, FL

#17 Apr 20, 2008
This is not news...this happens just about every weekend in that same neighborhood..if its not at Walter P. Taylor projects its at the other projects.
uh oh

Mcminnville, TN

#18 Apr 20, 2008
WE need to get some cameras up there so we can preview this and send someone a ticket. Perhaps KPD could make a movie or sell the clips to the public. Man what a money maker for the city of knoxville. Bloodshed is money in the bank for Knoxville
dummy

Knoxville, TN

#19 Apr 20, 2008
why bitch let them kill each other
Michelle

Knoxville, TN

#20 Apr 20, 2008
When I first moved to Knoxville I was looking for a house for sale and ended up in the middle of MLK. I knew I shouldn't be there right away when I saw all the men standing in the street and realized I was in the middle of a place I didn't want to be. Especially since my two babies were in the car with me. I passed through and back onto Magnolia very quickly! LOL

But, Regardless of the area or the people involved, a death is a death in my eyes. We don't know the circumstances of the victims or the perpetrators. Those involved are probably sons, brothers, even fathers. They may not have grown up like you and I. They met an untimely death at the hand of violence and race,status, and where they lived mean nothing to me. It's a shame and someone is hurting because of it. Someone is missing them and they are victims regardless.

“Be Responsible”

Since: Feb 08

Earth

#21 Apr 20, 2008
Does anyone think that this was gang or drug related??

Remember what the great theologian Chris Rock said, " If you are on MLK Blvd. anywhere in USA.......RUN!!!!"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knoxville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Village Barn (Oct '10) 8 min Sherry 22
prodigal primary care. (Sep '11) 1 hr kati 63
Review: O'Connell Michael J PHD 3 hr grimy phoxx 2
Justin that delivers oxygen supplies 4 hr curiousgirl 1
News 4 arrested when Knoxville traffic stop nets met... (May '10) 19 hr toobad 19
News Dandridge man pleads guilty to 2013 vehicular h... Fri Surely You Jest 3
Faith Promise (Sep '10) Fri justme 89

Hard Freeze Warning for Knox County was issued at March 28 at 8:15PM CDT

Knoxville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Knoxville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]