Fourteen-year-old killed when motorcycle strikes car

Full story: WBIR Knoxville

A Maryville youth was killed in a motorcycle accident Wednesday evening on Alcoa Highway, according to the Alcoa Police Department.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of60
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Logan Wade

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2007

Matt Whrite was one of my friends at Maryville Middle School. He was loved and missed by all today at school. It was a very sad day for everyone.
Thanks
Logan
AOL

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2007

Why was a 14 year old driving a motorcycle on Alcoa Highway? I am so sorry for the parents. I could not imagine losing one of my children.
jeff co boy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2007

AOL wrote:
Why was a 14 year old driving a motorcycle on Alcoa Highway? I am so sorry for the parents. I could not imagine losing one of my children.
i agree totally!!! it's a another sad day.
Mike

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2007

He was not on Alcoa Highway. He was on Louisville Road, which is not as bad as Alcoa Hwy, but still extremely busy. I can't imagine why a 14 year old would be driving a motorcycle on that road. Very tragic.
Knoxville Girl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2007

I am very so for the parents that have to go through this. I have a daughter of my own and I couldn't start to think about not having her around. But like most kids, it's hard to watch her 24/7 and sometimes kids do things we don't want them to do. Like taking off on a motorcycle. My God be with the parents and their family.
TN Motorcycle Girl

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2007

Very sad...I feel badly for both drivers and their family and friends.

For those who are questioning how this could happen, Tennessee law states the following:

Motor-driven Cycle (Class M Limited)

The license is valid for four years. You must:

Be at least age 14
Operate only two or three-wheeled vehicles with no more than 125 cc cylinders
Operate only between 4 a.m. and 8 p.m.(if between the ages of 14 and 16)
Operate only within seven miles of your home (if between the ages of 14 and 16)
Comply with the restrictions set forth by the Examiner (if 16 or older)

http://www.dmv.org/tn-tennessee/motorcycle-li...

Depending on the size of the bike he was driving and that there was no mention otherwise, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he was legal.
junior

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2007

that is horrible my thoughs and prayers go out to the family.
What kind of parents

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2007

This is a tragic accident. But what kind of parents would allow a 14 year old kid to have a motorcycle???? I couldn't imagine letting my 17 year old have one, after 18 I can't do anything about it. But come one!!!!!!! I don't care what the state law says.....obviously someone was on crack when they passed this law!!!!!!!!!
Mistie

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2007

I am sorry for the parents;but why would they allow him to ride on slick roads anyway?
My prayers go out to his family and friends.
Vol Fan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2007

Why do't you people try and make them feel worse. Why is it that we have to always point fingers and blame someone. The child is lost, let the family grieve and stop pointing fingers. Not everything is fault of someone. If the kid had is License then he was legal to drive!!! That is the problem with our country everybody wants to dog pile on people while they are hurting!!! Try showing compassion and the Love of Christ. It's no wonder Jesus got so angry at the money changers. Now I understand why. Pray for our country it needs it!!! First pray for this family I could not imagine losinga child!!!!!!
ces

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2007

Vol Fan wrote:
Why do't you people try and make them feel worse. Why is it that we have to always point fingers and blame someone. The child is lost, let the family grieve and stop pointing fingers. Not everything is fault of someone. If the kid had is License then he was legal to drive!!! That is the problem with our country everybody wants to dog pile on people while they are hurting!!! Try showing compassion and the Love of Christ. It's no wonder Jesus got so angry at the money changers. Now I understand why. Pray for our country it needs it!!! First pray for this family I could not imagine losinga child!!!!!!
I couldn't have said it better myself. Why do we always want to say they had to be bad parents? They could have been the best parents, I don't know. When I was 14 my parents let me ride 3 and 4 wheelers. Heck, I rode my bicycle 2 miles to my grandparents everyday on a busy road.
Is everyone stupid

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2007

Parent's need to answer for the reason this 14 year old was out on a motorcyle on a busy road. Are they smoking crack or what?!!!!!! Good parents? Give me a break. Motorcyles are dangerous for a grown man. People who dont see you and pulll out in front of you....to let this child out on a busy highway was suicide. Hopefully they will have to answer for this riduculous lack of judgement.
Curious

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2007

SO a 14 yo can ride a motorcycle on a public roadway by him/herself, but not a car???? What friggin sense does this make??????? I dont care if its within 7 miles or not, driving a motorized vehicle on a public roadway is NOT something a 14 yo should be doing.
Dylan

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

Matthew was one of my friends, he was a very responsible and mature youth for his age. We are all still deeply stunned and saddened by the loss. Whenever he was driving his motorcycle, he was always very careful and observant of others. Losing his control on that bike is not just about being 14, it happens to other people too. Accidents happen. Just to let you know, Matt had some of the most loving parents in the world. To question their judgement is flat out wrong, especially at this time. Do you think they're not saddened by this? Who are you to say that Matt didn't have responsible parents? They need to answer for the reason a 14 year old driving? Give me a break, 1) it's state law that he could, and 2) do you not think that losing one of your children, not even in high school, is punishment enough? It just shows lack of competence and maturity of certain people. For those who have been praying for this family and Matthew, I thank you, they need all the prayers they can get right now.
Anon

Slidell, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

I think the point is not to point out the parents as wrongdoers or anything like that, but instead to foce lawmakers to see the far-reaching implications of what is legal. I belive that this is the fourth death of a student within the Maryville school system, and the third to a motorcycle accident. Wake up, lawmakers!
amc

Mount Juliet, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

Dylan wrote:
Matthew was one of my friends, he was a very responsible and mature youth for his age. We are all still deeply stunned and saddened by the loss. Whenever he was driving his motorcycle, he was always very careful and observant of others. Losing his control on that bike is not just about being 14, it happens to other people too. Accidents happen. Just to let you know, Matt had some of the most loving parents in the world. To question their judgement is flat out wrong, especially at this time. Do you think they're not saddened by this? Who are you to say that Matt didn't have responsible parents? They need to answer for the reason a 14 year old driving? Give me a break, 1) it's state law that he could, and 2) do you not think that losing one of your children, not even in high school, is punishment enough? It just shows lack of competence and maturity of certain people. For those who have been praying for this family and Matthew, I thank you, they need all the prayers they can get right now.
I am glad that you are standing up for your friend and his family, someone needs to. My father was killed on a motorcycle when I was 14 and it took me a while to get over the fear of motorcycles. I still do not wish that my children would ride them but you can not control what others do after a certain point. If he was mature and knowledgable, I am sure that this was just a freak accident. As far as the parents are concerned, I do have to agree that this motorcycle should not have even belonged to a child, no matter what the law says. It is still too dangerous for young adults/children to have control over these machines with little experience.
Janice

Athens, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

Dylan wrote:
Dylan I am sorry for the loss of your friend. And you are exactly correct this family is suffering and now is not the time for people to criticize what type of parents he had. Know parent can watch a child 24/7. Maybe he shouldn't have been on that busy road but just as you say accidents happen to young and old a like.
God Bless Matt's family and friends during this tragic time and also, God Bless the Johnson's and there family.
mom of a wanna be rider

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

my heart and prayers go out to this family. my son went to school with this boy and appearantly the child was well liked by all. i don't feel the parents did anything wrong. their son was obiviously competent enough to pass the test and receive his license by the state, then he had every right to be on the road. i am a rider myself and will soon be allowing my 14yr old son to receive his license as well, and feel that people behind the wheel of cars and trucks should be more careful of bikers, i have lost several freinds growing up, all due to it not being their fault... it too is possible that something went tragically wrong with the bike that caused this accident. God Bless the parents and give them peace at heart, for they did NOTHING wrong!!!
chelle

Hendersonville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

as a parent myself i wouldn't let my daughter on a motorcycle at 14, especially on a main road BUT they decided to let him, it could have happened to anyone and sadly it was this young boy who still had a long life ahead of him.
instead of blaming the parents for allowing him too when the law says he can BLAME THE PEOPLE WHO PASSES THE LAW! It's time the idiot law makers start having more sense then none. They are making horrible choices anymore and our children and generations to come are gonna suffer for it. If a 14 yr old can't drive a car then they shouldn't be allowed a motorcycle either. that is just stupid. Motorcycles are one of the leading causes to deaths aren't they? and to let a young child on one is rediculous no matter how safe they may be on them.
accidents happen and it could have happened to anyone on a bike, it does every year around this time whether they be 14 to 80, motorcycle death doesn't have an age limit.
don't blame these parents, they have lost their boy and i'm sure they feel bad enough.

my heart goes to out the family and friends.
princess101

Greenville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2007

Vol Fan wrote:
i agree with you 100%! Quit pointing fingers. My prayers go out to the family. I couldnt imagine loosing one of my children. I hope the couple that was in the wreck will be ok also.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of60
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

26 Users are viewing the Knoxville Forum right now

Search the Knoxville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Asian massage 4 hr Ashhy 4
Bob Corker 5 hr Zebo 5
what is the best strip club (Nov '11) 8 hr watcha 39
Jehovah's Witnesses meet in Knoxville 10 hr sherman 6
Paddling abuse case against former Sunbright pr... 12 hr WTH 3
Oliver Springs ordered to upgrade wastewater tr... 12 hr Just saying 14
State senator proposes pit bull ban (Feb '08) 13 hr yep 6
•••
•••