Nursing home neglect reportedly led t...

Nursing home neglect reportedly led to amputation

There are 147 comments on the www.knoxnews.com story from May 16, 2008, titled Nursing home neglect reportedly led to amputation. In it, www.knoxnews.com reports that:

Hillcrest is again in danger of losing funds if problems not fixed

By Marti Davis, Friday, May 16, 2008

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.knoxnews.com.

Since: Sep 07

Lebanon, TN

#129 Dec 23, 2008
Senior55 wrote:
Thank you Ca-lo for your reply. I do check him for bruises and skin breaks. They are really good about notifying us if something does occur on him and an explanation. I took care of my dad at home under hospice for a year with no cna help, just nurses, to keep him out of a home. Then my husband, and now I am taking care of mom to keep her out of one. I took care of my relative at home too until I became overwhelmed and had no choice in the matter. I talk to some of the other families that are visiting their loved ones from time to time. I don't ask though about being treated different though. Thank you again.
I wish I could help more. I know how overwhelming it can be. You try to hang on as long as you can but it gets to the point where you just can't do anymore.
Your a wonderful person to give so much of yourself for your loved ones. Take care.

Since: Sep 07

Lebanon, TN

#130 Dec 23, 2008
Raw meat wrote:
<quoted text>So, what? No one else thought it was funny? Take a break from SAVING the old people, and for once have fun!
On behalf of my elderly dad...tête de merde!---;)

Since: Sep 07

Lebanon, TN

#131 Dec 24, 2008
Does anyone know if that family won that case?
Congkiller

Knoxville, TN

#132 Dec 24, 2008
Ca-lo wrote:
Does anyone know if that family won that case?
I have to go out for a bit, but wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and say a prayer for that 81 year old man that is missing. God Bless you

Since: Sep 07

Lebanon, TN

#133 Dec 24, 2008
Congkiller wrote:
<quoted text>I have to go out for a bit, but wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and say a prayer for that 81 year old man that is missing. God Bless you
I didn't hear about that.
What happened?
bella

Knoxville, TN

#134 Dec 24, 2008
Senior55...
just because a patient's paysource changes, his care won't change.
the only people that really care what paysource a patient has are in administration because that is their job.
i promise you that the people that do the direct nursing care...we don't care how a person's bill is paid. we treat everyone the same. the only thing we look at their paysource for is to know who to chart on and how often. otherwise, we don't even look.
it's not usually the people at the bedside giving care that are the cause for substandard care. it's administrations, like at Hillcrest, that refuse to provide enough staff to care for all the patients, enough supplies to provide proper care, good food to keep their nutrition up...all of which they do at Hillcrest.

see part 2 of my post. i had to edit and break it up for length...
bella

Knoxville, TN

#135 Dec 24, 2008
I remember working at Hillcrest and administration would not allow us to mix Rocephin with Lidocaine for IM injections because it was too expensive. That injection is very very painful without lidocaine and they forced us to give it with plain normal saline. i cringed and apologized so much to the patient when i had no choice but to give the injection like that because they needed the medication.
Also when i worked for Hillcrest they would not let us start IVs on patients. if a patient needed an IV fluid infusion for hydration they made us give it via a clysis infusion. for those that dont know, a clysis infusion is where you stick a 1 1/2 inch needle in the tops of the thighs, on BOTH thighs, and infuse the fluid that way. you know...like the vet does on your dog at the vets office. only at the vet's office, the vet injects a drug called Wydase into the tissue before they start the infusion. the Wydase improves absorption in the tissue so the dog doesnt get a big balloon under his skin. when i first started working at hillcrest, Wydase was policy and used with every clysis infusion. a few months after i'd been there, that was stopped. we were told that wydase was too expensive and to give the infusion without the drug and they refused to provide it to us. even when we got the doctor to write the specific order for wydase with the infusion, administration at hillcrest refused to provide it for the patient because it was too expensive. this caused the patient to get a huge, painful balloon of fluid under the skin on their thigh that took a day to absorb. they could usually drink the water faster than that! and then theyd get it again the next day. barbaric!
when i asked over and over why i had to give IV hydration in this barbaric manor i was told "you cant keep IVs in old people". like Heck you cant! say a patient is going to get this clysis infusion for 3 days...then every day for 3 days, they are being jabbed with these long needles in the tops of their legs. 2 sticks every day for 3 days. Put an IV in someone and it can stay in for 3 days, longer if needed, and requires one little stick to get the IV in. yet Hillcrest refused to let me start IVs on my patients even though i was very good at IVs. their policy was to give it via a clysis infusion and even though it was easier and less painful for the patient to get an IV, they would not let us do it.
these examples and many others are how Hillcrest keeps their costs low at the patient's expense!
despite all this, we at the bedside, the nurses and CNAS, the dietary dept, the housekeeping...all of us loved our patients and desperately wanted to take good care of them. we did the best we could. why did we stay there so long? the typical response would always be "if i leave, who's going to take care of the patients?"
i had a patient at my facility that ran out of money and was forced to go to hillcrest on medicaid. he calls and talks to us quite often and when he does, he cries because he hates it there.
i've worked in places that were mainly medicaid patients that were wonderful. but hillcrest, they are horrible. it's the patients that suffer there. hillcrest should be closed down and the facilities HONESTLY leased to a company that would provide the elderly of our community with loving, proper care.

Since: Sep 07

Lebanon, TN

#136 Dec 24, 2008
Such a great source of information bella. I'm sure it will help.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#137 Dec 24, 2008
bella, thank you so much for your information. My relative isn't in Hillcrest. He has been in the same nursing home for several years under private pay. They told me that when he had to go on medicaid, which he just did, that they did accept it. He has some good CNA'S that are good about working with him on eating, and the nurses care too. I thank GOD that I chose this certain home. We didn't get to inspect Hillcrest on our search, and we where told by his Doctor not to even consider them. I was worried that medicaid would make him go to another home, but so far the team meetings I have for him assure me he won't be treated any different now. GOD BLESS YOU. You care about the patients and we need more people like you.

Since: Sep 07

Lebanon, TN

#138 Dec 24, 2008
huh?!
Congkiller

Knoxville, TN

#139 Dec 24, 2008
Ca-lo wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't hear about that.
What happened?
It was a story on WBIR, go to their site. They found his car in North Carolina, I am sorry I don't have time to give you more info right now, but I have a house full of people. I will check back later if you don't find it.
Congkiller

Knoxville, TN

#140 Dec 24, 2008
bella wrote:
I remember working at Hillcrest and administration would not allow us to mix Rocephin with Lidocaine for IM injections because it was too expensive. That injection is very very painful without lidocaine and they forced us to give it with plain normal saline. i cringed and apologized so much to the patient when i had no choice but to give the injection like that because they needed the medication.
Also when i worked for Hillcrest they would not let us start IVs on patients. if a patient needed an IV fluid infusion for hydration they made us give it via a clysis infusion. for those that dont know, a clysis infusion is where you stick a 1 1/2 inch needle in the tops of the thighs, on BOTH thighs, and infuse the fluid that way. you know...like the vet does on your dog at the vets office. only at the vet's office, the vet injects a drug called Wydase into the tissue before they start the infusion. the Wydase improves absorption in the tissue so the dog doesnt get a big balloon under his skin. when i first started working at hillcrest, Wydase was policy and used with every clysis infusion. a few months after i'd been there, that was stopped. we were told that wydase was too expensive and to give the infusion without the drug and they refused to provide it to us. even when we got the doctor to write the specific order for wydase with the infusion, administration at hillcrest refused to provide it for the patient because it was too expensive. this caused the patient to get a huge, painful balloon of fluid under the skin on their thigh that took a day to absorb. they could usually drink the water faster than that! and then theyd get it again the next day. barbaric!
when i asked over and over why i had to give IV hydration in this barbaric manor i was told "you cant keep IVs in old people". like Heck you cant! say a patient is going to get this clysis infusion for 3 days...then every day for 3 days, they are being jabbed with these long needles in the tops of their legs. 2 sticks every day for 3 days. Put an IV in someone and it can stay in for 3 days, longer if needed, and requires one little stick to get the IV in. yet Hillcrest refused to let me start IVs on my patients even though i was very good at IVs. their policy was to give it via a clysis infusion and even though it was easier and less painful for the patient to get an IV, they would not let us do it.
these examples and many others are how Hillcrest keeps their costs low at the patient's expense!
despite all this, we at the bedside, the nurses and CNAS, the dietary dept, the housekeeping...all of us loved our patients and desperately wanted to take good care of them. we did the best we could. why did we stay there so long? the typical response would always be "if i leave, who's going to take care of the patients?"
i had a patient at my facility that ran out of money and was forced to go to hillcrest on medicaid. he calls and talks to us quite often and when he does, he cries because he hates it there.
i've worked in places that were mainly medicaid patients that were wonderful. but hillcrest, they are horrible. it's the patients that suffer there. hillcrest should be closed down and the facilities HONESTLY leased to a company that would provide the elderly of our community with loving, proper care.
Where you been Bella? Thanks for the info and have a Merry christmas. The kind of care and room at Shanondale use to be different, according to your type of payment, but that was years ago. I will talk to some people about your post as soon as posssible. The holidays are hard to catch the right people. Sorry for the mess, but have lots of people here and can't think. Keep the info coming.
MinnieMe

Murfreesboro, TN

#141 Dec 24, 2008
Congkiller wrote:
<quoted text>Are you completly void of a brain, bored to death, on something, or a kid with access to a keyboard?
Whow know what or who this is. Disgusting in one sense, pitiful in another, funny on one hand and truly abhorent in the long run. That is why I am mainly just reading for now. After all, "Tis the Season To Be Jolly"

FaLaLaLaLa LaLaLaLa

Raw Meat, you are just that raw. What is you point, anyway, with your off the wall comments.
If you are trying to be shocking, try again.
If you are trying to be funny...almost, in a sickening way.
If you need attention call 866-YOU-SUCK
MinnieMe

Murfreesboro, TN

#142 Dec 24, 2008
bella wrote:
I remember working at Hillcrest and administration would not allow us to mix Rocephin with Lidocaine for IM injections because it was too expensive.
Amen! Sister.
Hillcrest Homes are honest to God something out of a bad horror movie. I have been in all of them with a recent contracting position and dealt not only with the patients, but with the staff and administration. How these places have kept their compliances and remained open this long is a mystery to many, many people.
Hillcrest is one of many falling way short on the care of our elderly, though. There are many others who fall short of their duty!
Joe Public, WAKE UP! If you have even the ounce of decency, energy, wherewithall about you...do not warehouse you mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters in these hellholes around here that we call nursing homes/assisted living. There are other options!
Congkiller

Knoxville, TN

#143 Dec 24, 2008
MinnieMe wrote:
<quoted text>Amen! Sister.
Hillcrest Homes are honest to God something out of a bad horror movie. I have been in all of them with a recent contracting position and dealt not only with the patients, but with the staff and administration. How these places have kept their compliances and remained open this long is a mystery to many, many people.
Hillcrest is one of many falling way short on the care of our elderly, though. There are many others who fall short of their duty!
Joe Public, WAKE UP! If you have even the ounce of decency, energy, wherewithall about you...do not warehouse you mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters in these hellholes around here that we call nursing homes/assisted living. There are other options!
Merry Christmas and God Bless you for caring, maybe we can get something done soon. Respects and Honor

Since: Sep 07

Lebanon, TN

#144 Dec 24, 2008
Ca-lo wrote:
huh?!
Sorry about that post. Mistake.lol

Merry Christmas
bella

Knoxville, TN

#145 Dec 26, 2008
To call them all hellholes isn't fair, MM. I and many many of the people i work with have devoted their entire career to the elderly and thats what we do.

there are other options for many, but for some, there is no other choice. when that time comes...I hope it's one of us that truly love our patients that greets you at the door.

there are some wonderful facilities in knoxville! places I wouldnt hesitate to put my own mother if and when the time comes.
MinnieMe

Murfreesboro, TN

#146 Dec 27, 2008
bella wrote:
To call them all hellholes isn't fair, MM. I and many many of the people i work with have devoted their entire career to the elderly and thats what we do.
there are other options for many, but for some, there is no other choice. when that time comes...I hope it's one of us that truly love our patients that greets you at the door.
there are some wonderful facilities in knoxville! places I wouldnt hesitate to put my own mother if and when the time comes.
I agree, bella. But...they are few are far between. You atleast have to admit that fact. It what you claim is true and you have worked in many of these places, you know as well as I that the good definately does not outweigh the bad when it comes to elderly within a 100 mile radius of Knoxville, Tennessee.

My heartfelt thanks goes out to you and people such as yourself that is in your position and chooses to do right by the people you care for. My job responsibilities allowed me to come in, do my job and leave. Depending upon the number of patients I needed to see, I was at any given facility for an hour at the max, maybe everyday...maybe once a week or less. I could not imagine myself being responsible to show up daily for a weekly rotation at most of the places "I visited". My heart goes out to the truly dedicated care-givers, nurses, aides, whomevers. A tough job, very tough job when the parent company, administration cares only about the bottom line which all of us know is the almighty dollar. Been there, seen that. Know I want know part of any it ever, ever again.
But, God Bless all of you who are the faithful, caring ones left on the inside who still have a conscious, some morals and values still left.

As crude as he may be, raw meat does have a point with many of his sick posts. Our elderly, which all of us will eventually be someday, have (or maybe always have been) become an expendable and expensive entity. The largest population in American history if fastly approaching this age group. Things will become interesting very fast in the not so far future. Think about it...

“Blessings to you and yours.”

Since: Dec 07

Washington DC

#147 Dec 27, 2008
The article said that they got rid of the 'rent a nurses' or agency staff, but most of the problems nursing homes have is related to insufficient staff and eliminating agency makes the problem worse...not better.
Nursing homes try to get by with the least number of staff that they can, in order to save money. This means that the staff can not do everything they need to do to provide quality care. NH patients need to be turned at least every 2 hours, and that requires 1-2 staff taking approx 5-10 minutes per patient every 2 hours. Few NH's make sure that they have enough staff to really do this, and so patients are lucky if they get turned and cleaned more than once a night.
While I think that our society is too litigious, making these NH's pay for trying to cut corners, will teach them a lesson and hopefully improve the car our precious seniors deserve.
Blessings to you and yours.
)0(
Raw meat

Knoxville, TN

#148 Dec 28, 2008
Ca-lo wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not amused by your comments, and I think I can speak for the rest of us in saying that. You obviously have no elderly people in your life you love so that explains your ignorence.
Hope you get back the same compassion your showing. Your time will come... idiot!
I honestly can't believe you took the time to write that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knoxville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Knoxville tops list of high gas prices in Tenne... 2 hr Jimmy 7
DCS, Youth Villages, and others lie in court. (Apr '11) 20 hr Fedupwithkidsforcash 34
News TBI investigates missing records at Lenoir City... (Jan '11) 21 hr AIPAC is treason 116
Best places to live in East TN (Aug '08) Thu Jimmy 15
Knox County's 24 hour arrest and inmat populat... (Oct '12) Thu NightSerf 6
wbir/abby ham (Dec '11) Thu Newsman77 231
Colonel's Café in Bearden Thu timsauljr 5

Knoxville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Knoxville Mortgages