South College in Knoxville
jimmy cheeks

Stamford, CT

#42 Sep 14, 2012
Awesome School wrote:
the only people that are mad at south college are the ghetto girls that can't spell or even talk in complete sentences!!! It is a great school now that all the riff raff is gone praise the lord..... If you are looking on a one on one education this is the place to go.... If your looking to sit in a room with 200 plus students then UT is your thing. You get what you pay for and private school is expensive but they are better!!!
I just hope for your sake that once they have gotten enough of your $ and you are close to graduation they dont dismiss you to meet a quota...
Franklin

Knoxville, TN

#43 Jan 23, 2013
Observer - you are absolutely right! Glad to be out of that place and I won't set foot in there again.
DestinyPharmD

Johnson City, TN

#44 Feb 14, 2013
Honestly, I do not know anything about the South College undergraduate program, and have not got to visit the undergraduate location yet. Although, I did get an interview and tour their pharmacy school. Trust me when I say that their pharmacy school blew away ETSU in Johnson City, Appalachian College of Pharmacy in Oakwood (Twilight Zone), Virginia; and Sullivan University in Louisville, KY. When I went to all of these schools there was no comparison as South College beat them hands down.

South College just went from pre-candidate status to candidate status and are on track to get their full accreditation January 2015. I will be in the third class, and will be graduating May 2016. South College has the ONLY inter-professional program probably from here to Chicago. The PA program, pharmacy program, physical therapy program and the nursing program and etc., all learn together. Each one learns what the other does and each profession will come out having more respect for the other and will be more desirable upon graduation because of the difference in experience from the traditional program where you mostly just learn your profession.

Also, I wanted to add that ETSU pharmacy school is not very personable, and is actually higher than South is and you have to go one more extra year in school to become a Pharmacist. South College is the first and only 3 year accelerated program in TN. ACP is a good 3 year program, but the school is old and the town maybe has 300 people living in it. The good thing about ACP is that is it cheaper and it does block classes, and that it does not begin classes until mid-August, but that is the only things. A student will gain a much better and more in depth education and SCSOP, and like I said it blew ETSU, and Sullivan University (3 year program) in Louisville away.

The only school that compared at all to SCSOP is South University in Savannah, GA, and they have another location in Columbia, SC. It is a great school and they are also 3 year programs, but they are both so far away. The towns are both great, but they are way too far from my family to visit on breaks very often, and plus they begin in the second week of June, whereas South begins the last week of June, and the South College faculty and staff is very nice and personable.

So ETSU is higher and takes another whole year of your life to graduate and be able to start practicing. Appalachian is cheaper, but the living arrangements will be terrible for 3 years, and there are other schools, but all of the other schools in this whole area are 4 year universities, and who needs to take summers off and have another whole year to go to school and pay for when you can be out working as a pharmacist instead.

Last thing I want to say is South College School of Pharmacy may not be the cheapest school, but it also is not the highest. Although, it is a pharmacy school that is very competitive and aggressive and students will come out with a better education. Also, I wanted to add that the technology at this pharmacy school is second to none. This is a high tech pharmacy school and they are on top of things. The pharmacy school is on quarters as well, but they are doing what they have to do to get students graduated in 2 years and 11 months. As far as the undergraduate school, people are not correct that the credits will not transfer to other colleges, and also they are on quarters because they began that way, and it is harder than you think to just switch in the middle of any month of the year to a semester system just because. Honestly, I cannot speak up for the undergrad program since I have never even been to the school. I received my Associates of Science spring May 2011 from Northeast State Community College, and am receiving my Bachelor of Science from ETSU this coming spring in May 2013, and then I begin South College School of Pharmacy in late June 2013. South College School of Pharmacy is awesome!
Abc123

Sevierville, TN

#45 Feb 15, 2013
I swear I think the positive feed back is made up by people that work there. My experience was bad. And no, I had no trouble keeping up. I went to Roane State for two years and graduated with a 4.0. I am a paramedic and wanted to attend the nursing program, I was told the classification as nursing major cost 2000 more per quarter. I was told before I began I needed to speak with the women ( I assume dean of the program) who ran the program. She was very rude and insulted my current profession by saying that it was impossible to teach medics to think like nurses and that I may want to reconsider. The one quarter I went was extremely expensive. I also notice that they had classes required that where unheard of at any other college. And it's also crap that everyone has to take that career and college management . It was ridiculous and a waste of money. I also know someone who got his BA in criminal justice two years ago from south and it has not done a thing for him.
Blondie

Knoxville, TN

#46 Mar 6, 2013
South College is joke. They promise you job placement and never did nothing for me. After they got all my money that was good enough for them. It's a ripe-off.
Dr McCarter

Knoxville, TN

#47 Mar 28, 2013
As a "for profit" institution, South College exists in order to see its bottom line grow larger. In order to increase its profit, it must increase its profit base. Since the product it produces is an education, that profit base is students. In short, the more students they have, for as long as they have them, the greater its profit.

The experience of my fiancee bears that out. She began in order to complete her BS. At that time, she was told it'd take just a year or so. A year and a half later, she still has a year and a half to graduate. What's more, the debt she continues to incur only bears as a weight on her graduating as soon as possible.

That creates a huge burden.

My advice? Stay away from "for profit" schools. Sure, it's a private school. But that doesn't mean its of the caliber or quality as Carson-Newman. In fact, I'd say the opposite is the case. South College exists to enroll as many students as it can and keep them in school for as long as they can. Don't do it.
SAGal

Kingston, TN

#48 Apr 5, 2013
I have been going to South for 4 years. I really like the college. There is a lot of papers to write, which is not everyone's cup of tea. As long as you do your work and stay caught up, it is a great a school but you can not be lazy. I know a bunch of people that drop out because they are lazy and cant cut it. If you want a good education that you are willing to work for then it is a good choice. It is more expensive than state schools but as long as you do not get "extra" money to "live" on while going then its not that bad. I am getting a double B.S. degree and will only come out 20,000 in debt after 4 years and 3 quarters. That is not bad considering the price of schools these days.

Since: Aug 13

Dandridge, TN

#49 Nov 5, 2013
I am currently attending South college.They go above and beyond to help you. My major is nursing. I have not heard of being charged twice b/c of your major. Only charged 2x if you fail the first one. I am a believer in you get what you pay for, free tutoring, small classes with instructors who always have their door open for you. I am very glad that I chose South College for my studies. Not to mention all the wonderful people I have met there. Everyone is so nice.
Freedom

United States

#50 Nov 7, 2013
I go for belly dancing classes and exotic dancing!
Pissed

Sevierville, TN

#51 Dec 26, 2013
SAGal wrote:
I have been going to South for 4 years. I really like the college. There is a lot of papers to write, which is not everyone's cup of tea. As long as you do your work and stay caught up, it is a great a school but you can not be lazy. I know a bunch of people that drop out because they are lazy and cant cut it. If you want a good education that you are willing to work for then it is a good choice. It is more expensive than state schools but as long as you do not get "extra" money to "live" on while going then its not that bad. I am getting a double B.S. degree and will only come out 20,000 in debt after 4 years and 3 quarters. That is not bad considering the price of schools these days.
How is that when current tuition is $13,000
Sissy

Lexington, SC

#52 Jan 2, 2014
fustrated wrote:
I go to South College and theres nothing good about it. They are rude, maybe nice as you sign up for the first or second time then it changes. However, they can't even give a book number over the phone. said there are not allowed. ha. They did before in my thrid quater. They never offer classes when the students need them. only when it is covent for them. They are a private school they claim and it coast a pretty penny, however I think they charge more than they need to. I'm going to end up owning more than i will make. They don't tell you the classes you need before other classes, and make you take more classes then what the south college book says you have to have. You learn everything from fellow students. Some techers are nice but others teach at more than one school and put south college students last on their list for things to get done. also this quater the teachers are to review with us monday and expect us to take finals wenesday. WoW one day to study. Please for your and others best do not attend south college and those who are at south college are fustrated and is trying to transfere. Oh, thants another thing, they don't transfer all cridits.
Obviously you either didn't attend Spelling and Grammar Class or you failed! You certainly go a long way toward casting a dark shadow on South College.

On the other hand, my niece graduated from the accelerated RN program there, and she is an excellent nurse. The staff's function is to educate you, not be your best friend and buddy!
Dont do it

Clinton, TN

#53 Jan 2, 2014
My best friend was a Nursing Student there. He was the Senior Class President! He had 10 weeks left to graduate. He was "one of the most active clsss presidents from the nursig department" and was dismissed from the program for Academic Dishonesty on a careplan that wasnt even for a grade! The grade never counted in his overall grades.$60000 later he has no degree. He made an instructor mad by reporting a clinical site and she found a reason to get rid of him. I withdrew and am at King University!! Go King!
Dont do it

Clinton, TN

#54 Jan 2, 2014
observer wrote:
it is a totally negative atmosphere geared toward profitt, not student learning. I look for people to catch on if enough is exposed. Students can seek a real education in a positive learning environment other places in knoxville. dont fall into this trap.
This very thing happened to my friend. He had ten weeks left and made an instructor mad and she kicked him out for academic dishonesty on a paper that DID NOT count for a grade. His hopes and dreams shattered by a mad witch. His credits will not transfer and after he worked his butt off in school and for that lame school he was dismissed and not eligible for readmission.
dls

United States

#55 Jan 3, 2014
That sux! Credits should transfer. It is all a rip off!
Tell Me More

Clinton, TN

#56 Jan 3, 2014
OMG! I know the guy you are talking about.(The Class President). Stupid decision dismissing him!! He is a great person and is going to become an excellent nurse wherever it is he attends school. With his experience and his dedication to the South College Nursing Program, they should feel ashamed! The Senior Class and South College will never be the same! The guy is my neighbor and a very good person!
Genn

Maryville, TN

#57 Jan 14, 2014
Chelle wrote:
Hello, I was wondering if someone can give me their thoughts on South College. Any info would be great. TY
My mom and her cousins went to the college that was owned by the same people under a different name and it was a total rip off. All they did was take the students money and screw them over. Those students are stuck with college loans they are still paying back and no career because their credits never transferred over. That school is nothing but a ripoff
South College is a SHAM

Knoxville, TN

#58 Jan 20, 2014
Stay away from this place. I went to South in Knoxville 3 years, and left to go to Roane State to finish my degree. It was going to cost me over $80,000 for a Bachelor's degree. Roane State was much cheaper, and the hospitals I talked with said that they respect students from Roane State more than South. Management at South does not respect students or parents. It's a Freakshow.
Zombie Klaut

Maryville, TN

#59 Feb 23, 2014
This is a terrible school to have the misfortune of attending. They will mislead and entice students to attend, but oce you are there, your success depends on the cliques you join. There is no real intellectual discourse at this school. Professors are frustrated making sure the profits are in place; it is a homeboy/homegal environment without a good education.

The quality of education is just bad. That includes the nursing, PA and pharmacy. Dont waste your time here, stick with UT.
Zombie Klaut

Maryville, TN

#60 Feb 23, 2014
Dont do it wrote:
My best friend was a Nursing Student there. He was the Senior Class President! He had 10 weeks left to graduate. He was "one of the most active clsss presidents from the nursig department" and was dismissed from the program for Academic Dishonesty on a careplan that wasnt even for a grade! The grade never counted in his overall grades.$60000 later he has no degree. He made an instructor mad by reporting a clinical site and she found a reason to get rid of him. I withdrew and am at King University!! Go King!
Can I get in touch with this student.
Zombie Klaut

Maryville, TN

#61 Feb 23, 2014
ive been cheated wrote:
Got my rad. Tech degree at south college asheville in 08. I worked for a few years and then decided to add to my degree another college only to discover that none of my general ed. classes will transfer. Paid 28 thousand dollars for a degree and my credits are no good for transfer!!! Im in the process of retaking all my gen. Eds. At another school now in order to add to my RT degree. What a waist of $
Have you students dissatsified with this college consireded seeking legal redress? This are federal loans and any school taking your money and not giving fair returns has to be called to an accounting. I know am not sitting back and pay back $60,000 without a degree. That is a joke.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knoxville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
nightlife in knoxville 8 hr Long Shanks 7
News Man who accused KPD of brutality now charged fo... 9 hr Bean and cheese Fart 5
C&C Fencing 12 hr Pooriffic 14
News Feds announce major ET crystal meth bust 14 hr Extra Testicle 3
Confederate flag rally Tue Wave the smell 5
tennessee lottery for losers (Aug '12) Tue I Bet too 18
East TN Pain Clinic Review (Apr '10) Tue TheManWhoUsedToBe... 1,095
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Knoxville Mortgages