South College in Knoxville

Posted in the Knoxville Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Chelle

United States

#1 Oct 30, 2009
Hello, I was wondering if someone can give me their thoughts on South College. Any info would be great. TY
fustrated

Knoxville, TN

#2 Mar 18, 2010
I go to South College and theres nothing good about it. They are rude, maybe nice as you sign up for the first or second time then it changes. However, they can't even give a book number over the phone. said there are not allowed. ha. They did before in my thrid quater. They never offer classes when the students need them. only when it is covent for them. They are a private school they claim and it coast a pretty penny, however I think they charge more than they need to. I'm going to end up owning more than i will make. They don't tell you the classes you need before other classes, and make you take more classes then what the south college book says you have to have. You learn everything from fellow students. Some techers are nice but others teach at more than one school and put south college students last on their list for things to get done. also this quater the teachers are to review with us monday and expect us to take finals wenesday. WoW one day to study. Please for your and others best do not attend south college and those who are at south college are fustrated and is trying to transfere. Oh, thants another thing, they don't transfer all cridits.
Stay Away

Allardt, TN

#3 Mar 18, 2010
Hi! I know several people that has went to South College and it is a total rip-off. They will end up oweing more $$ than they will ever be able to repay. Other than losing time, money and credits, all my friends left and will now have to repeat their classes at another school because most will not transfer.
If you are looking into the health field, SOuth College has had issues with many of their health students passing their state boards so even though they have an expensive degree, they cannot even work in their field until they pass the boards.
Roane State is one of the best and least expensive 2 yr colleges. They have transfer agreements with UT and TN Tech. Pellisipi (not for sure the spelling) but it has a good rep too.
For me, I think SOuth College is overpriced and does not ahve the sutdent's best interest at heart.
I know a guy who transferred there and after going $20,000 in debt he has lost a year of credits and it will take him an adiitional 2 years to complete (with most health degrees you can only start in fall). My other friend had taken nursing classes and one of her classes she was charged extra becasue she was a nursing major (for med secretary it was less). I've never heard of a college that charges the classes according to your major - the colleges I attended had a flat rate for everyone.
You would be better off going somehwere else because I ahve never heard anyone like South College that attended it.Best of luck to you!
PA Student

Knoxville, TN

#4 Mar 23, 2010
I am a Student in the PA program at South College. This program is very competitive to get accepted into but I am very glad I came to South College.
No Regrets

Sevierville, TN

#5 Mar 23, 2010
I attended and received my degree from South College and I have no regrets what so ever about attending there. I have recommended it to several people and will continue to do so. If I had questions about my classes or financial aid they were answered and explained to me in a way that I understood. For "Fustrated" you might want to learn how to spell first (even the name you chose to post with is spelled wrong)before recommending any school and "Stay Away" you are completely misinformed about any of the programs much less who isn't passing their state boards and for transfer credits, South College has accepted many credits from different schools all over the country.
FYI

Allardt, TN

#6 Mar 23, 2010
No Regrets wrote:
I attended and received my degree from South College and I have no regrets what so ever about attending there. I have recommended it to several people and will continue to do so. If I had questions about my classes or financial aid they were answered and explained to me in a way that I understood. For "Fustrated" you might want to learn how to spell first (even the name you chose to post with is spelled wrong)before recommending any school and "Stay Away" you are completely misinformed about any of the programs much less who isn't passing their state boards and for transfer credits, South College has accepted many credits from different schools all over the country.
No to be mean, but you are the first person I've met that has had a good experience with South College.
Of course, the school has just started so maybe that is why so many had such difficulty with the school. My friends that went had a rough time with South COllege but now that's when it first started.
Really, every school as its good and bad points. WHen it comes to board exams, every school has a few that do no pass the first time (and there ahs been many great nurses I know that failed their first time - I'm lucky I passed it the first time).
So RESEARCH RESEARCH! Whatever your major is, find out the best reputable school for that major. ALos, make sure before yout transfer how your existing credits will transfer over.
GOOS LUCK!
FYI2

Allardt, TN

#7 Mar 23, 2010
Actually, I forgot I recently did meet a lady that went to the physical therapy program and she really loved it.
what to do

Nashville, TN

#8 Aug 12, 2010
anyone know anything else about this school I always see their ads just always have heard they are costly.....

“Wazzzupppp?!?!?”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#9 Aug 12, 2010
I went to school there when it was Knoxville Business College and have had no regrets. I would recommend it to anyone.
Knoxville, TN

#10 Aug 12, 2010
I don’t personally know anyone that has gone to South College as a student but I applied for and was offered a position there. When the secretary called to schedule the first interview I noticed her tone was a little off but didn’t pay much attention. I was called back for a second interview and declined because after I witnessed some of the personalities and demeanor I quickly discovered that was no place for me.
No To SOUTH COLLEGE

Murfreesboro, TN

#12 Dec 22, 2010
FYI2 wrote:
Actually, I forgot I recently did meet a lady that went to the physical therapy program and she really loved it.
I saw your comment to the PTA program. I hate writing negative feed back on anyone, but this college is a rip off. There is a few good professors there that have the students interest at heart. As for the PTA program they do not! I was a straight A student till I was excepted into the program. The main instructor for kinesiology was nice but was a horrible test giver. He made the test so hard that you were lucky to understand it. Most the class failed the exams but if you were on his good side you might be fortunate to pass through program. I felt it was a pick and choose type of setting. I have loss interest in school due to this college and their policies. I have a family to support and bills to pay and they had no care for peoples livelihood. All they care about is money and their elitist status.

What I would recommend is to stay away from this college unless you're a rich prep that has nothing else better to do than waste money and time. I have found better college for less and professors that empathize with students and their situations. I was not looking for a handout but the money that was spent I felt should have been worth it, but was not and all I ended up with was a let down.

Do not be miss led into thinking it will be faster because of the quarter system because you will be trading off semester material for more classes and more headaches. What got me was when I first signed up the I asked the advisor if professors gave out study guides to exams. She told me that was a privilege and I would be lucky to have had a study guide. She wasn't joking! I still made A's but it took everything I had in me to pull through. Next time a professor says that to me I will get up and walkout. Be wary of this school and make sure you talk to professor that you will be taking. That was only thing I knew to do when I needed to how this class was. If their snobby they will let you know up front.
For Your Information

Knoxville, TN

#13 Dec 22, 2010
South College is about money. That's what they care about. It is owned, operated and named after Steve South. His family has been in "proprietary education" for years. It is strictly a for profit business.

That's mainly why it still runs on the quarter system while "real" colleges changed over to the semester system years ago. By using quarters and mid-quarters, it gives the place eight chances a year to enroll students. Obviously the more enrollments they have, the more money they make.

Most of a student's credits from that school will NOT transfer to other colleges in part because South uses the quarter system while others do not.

South's brother owned a college in Georgia and sold it for a small fortune several years ago. South also owns a "college" also called South College in Asheville. Private schools are one thing but for profit schools are entirely different. Never forget a place like South College is going to always put profit first. That's why they're in business!
FYI Tn

United States

#14 Mar 6, 2011
Please if anyone is considering this school please be aware this school only cares about your money not your education.
TOtal Rip OFF

Clinton, TN

#15 Jun 6, 2011
This school is a complete rip off! All of my financial aid and loans still don't cover the tuition at this school. I am transferring to a state school next term because if I don't then I will owe sooo much in student loans that I could have went to medical schooland have a phd by the time I am done! And I have heard rumors that the tuition is going up!
Happy at South College

Sevierville, TN

#16 Aug 11, 2011
This is the best school i have ever attended. Small classes, helpful instructors, free tutoring and the list goes on. If someone wants to be successful here they can be.
No Fan

Gainesboro, TN

#17 Aug 11, 2011
Happy at South College wrote:
This is the best school i have ever attended. Small classes, helpful instructors, free tutoring and the list goes on. If someone wants to be successful here they can be.
But is it worth the huge amount of loans most students are left with? Maybe for you it is worth it (and if you are happy then that is wonderful and best of luck) but most students get out with high loans that will be difficult to pay off. Most of the time, they got the same degree with half the cost and hardship at another school.

For the people I know that has went there, it was a rip-off and nothing but a waste if time. It is nothing but a money hog. Seems the majority of posts on this forum is negative.
No complaints

Knoxville, TN

#18 Aug 19, 2011
I am on my second quarter at South College and so far I love it here. Smaller class sizes makes it easier to ask questions and get answers. The "moodle" system they have is great. There you can see all the classes you are currently in and when you click on each class it has everything you need to know that is expected of you and where you are currently at in the quarter. It also has important dates (ie exam dates) for each class and you can also see your grade at any point during the quarter. I agree that South College is very expensive but that's not an issue with me since I have the Post 911 G.I. Bill. Minus the cost, South College is a great school and I would recommend it to anyone.
happy 2

Tomball, TX

#19 Aug 20, 2011
Happy at South College wrote:
I agree I attended south and I loved it very helpful and my instructors where great!!!!
booya

Salt Lake City, UT

#20 Aug 22, 2011
is anybody here going to be in the pta class starting in October I just got my letter of acceptance cant wait to move up there.
L S U fan

United States

#21 Aug 22, 2011
Went there 12 years ago when they were knoxville business college. I am still paying on student loans! I am a PTA and i have had some students from south at my clinic. I will let you know that the students i have had have were lacking in alot knowledge that should have been learned in the class room. They could not answer basic questions that applied to ethics, that is a major red flag. Just might want to rethink it. Also you will have a harder time finding job because of their current reputation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knoxville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Person connected to "Rocky Top Murders" out of ... (Mar '07) 9 hr soltera65 13
News Wife Of High School Football Coach Charged For ... Sat Ned Negritude 9
Billy Goat Tavern....AWESOME Restaurant Sat Yummy 1
Anyone in Knoxville voting for Lying Hillary Cl... Sat WBC 2 53
Best place to buy adult toys & lingerie in Knox... (Jan '12) Fri Jennifer B 25
Good tattoo artists? (Aug '12) Fri stuart 44
Freda valentine Aug 26 Amy 1

Knoxville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Knoxville Mortgages