created by: Gun Owner | Apr 4, 2008

WBIR Knoxville

143 votes

Should Americans have the right to bear arms?

Click on an option to vote

• Yes (explain answer)
  • No (explain answer)
Comments
41 - 60 of 75 Comments Last updated Apr 6, 2008

Since: Feb 08

Knox Co.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

I always liked the 5th Myself..The Right to hush up.

“May the force be with you”

Since: Apr 07

Knoxville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

Yes we have the right to bear arms. With that right comes an awesome responsibility and liability. I carry at all times except where the law does not allow.

Young whooper snappers like that Future Teacher character bug the BeJesus out of me.
air cav

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

I don,t ask the government what my rights are .If it was up to them i would not have any.So, i keep mine where i can defend myself if need be.ThAt is my business.Not theirs.
Badger

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

Old-School wrote:
Yes we have the right to bear arms. With that right comes an awesome responsibility and liability. I carry at all times except where the law does not allow.
Young whooper snappers like that Future Teacher character bug the BeJesus out of me.
Forgive her because she is young. We said and did stuff that pissed off our parents and others as well when we were younger. The future will prove who is right or wrong.
Badger

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

ok, i didnt know that the word pi$$ ed off was cursing in the modern world . geez.
ghost

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

Many decades ago a teacher lied to me about the Second Amendment.
They teach you to read, and write. Then when you read the Second Amendment, words all of a sudden lose their value, and you are misunderstanding them. Not good for my young mind in my learning stage. But, thank to her I will never sign my signature for a gun permit. She taught me to not trust anyone in power.
Barbara Schatt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

I believe that I have the right to protect myself and my family, including my animals, with a gun, knife, pencil, or any other appliance necessary. As it happens I am a gun owner and my daughter joined NRA at age 8.
I am, perhaps, rather unique in that I don't believe any of my possessions, other than animals, is worth a human life. Therefore, they can take the furniture, the TV, Stereo, whatever, but the instant they attempt to enter the room I am cowering in, big 12 gauge holes are going to appear.
An important thing to remember is that 3rd graders felt empowered to kill with a paring knife. Guns are tools and should be thought of in that manner. A pencil is a tool and a very considerable weapon (as the teacher will find out and as this old teacher will disillusion her about), an old fashioned metal lipstick case is a weapon and while it probably wouldn't kill, it will cut some cookies. Blame the user of the tool, not the tool. Criminals will always have weapons be they guns, bicycle chains, bailing wire, or even a hat pin.
Felons are forbidden by federal law to carry or possess firearms. It may be a federal law, but it is a part of the outhouse none the same. Just watch the court proceedings in your local newspaper for a few weeks and you'll get your eyes opened by how many "repeat" felons are caught with a gun in the pursuit of a crime and are never brought up on charges. The desire is to leave guns in the hands of the criminal and take them out of the hands of the citizen. Don't ask why the feds don't enforce their law, they are too busy tearing the doors off little old ladies houses because the neighborhood thug got mad and called them and said he saw a "real" machine gun in her house. They won't fix it after they tear it up either, they walk away with the door laying in the street, the mattresses destroyed, the furniture broken, etc. etc. The lady was 86 years old and didn't own a firearm. So really, they don't have time to prosecute felons commiting crimes with firearms.
ghost

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

All words have a value, just like numbers do.
No body has shown me were the Tenn Legislature has the Constitutional power to issue "Carry Permits".
Time

Murfreesboro, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

air cav wrote:
I don,t ask the government what my rights are .If it was up to them i would not have any.So, i keep mine where i can defend myself if need be.ThAt is my business.Not theirs.
I agree with this post, also did you not serve your country? I think you earned the right to defend yourself on this land too.
air cav

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

Time wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with this post, also did you not serve your country? I think you earned the right to defend yourself on this land too.
Yes i did And thanks !Have a good one.

“Give peace a chance!”

Since: Mar 07

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
FUTURE TEACHER IS A LIER!!!!
The story says nothing about trying to use his key in the door. IT says he entered the wrong apartment and was shot! I can see your opinion is more important than the truth, what a wonderful teacher you will be. I guess your first priority is teaching one on one sex education.
I'm not a liar--I heard TWO separate news stations report that the victim attempted to use a key. Sorry that this article did not mention that but I know what I heard on TWO different news casts.

“Give peace a chance!”

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

a teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
Please do not become a teacher. You have an agenda and will fill your students with your own opinions. An educator MUST always strive to be objective. Please stop giving us a bad name. Change your post name. Please.
Do you know me or my beliefs? Didn't think so. I'm already a teacher (once again I'll explain--set this account up long a go, topix won't let you change your username) and my personal and beliefs opinions stop at the door of my classroom. Yes, I am very passionate about many things in my life but I'm not stupid and I know to keep my personal and professional life separate.

“Give peace a chance!”

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
ONCE AGAIN YOU PROVED TO BE A LIER!!!
I said more teachers have sexually molested more students than LEGAL gun owners have kill innocent people in Tennessee.
Show me the stats on that and I'll believe you.

You can legally own a gun and still do stupid things with it.

“Give peace a chance!”

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

Earl Keese wrote:
ok teacher in training, you've made your point.
nothing you say is going to have any impact here other than to aggravate.
you're not going to single handedly change anyones mind, nor end handgun ownership.
now go on and troll somewhere else.
preferably in your own state.
Tennessee is my state and Maryville is my hometown, thanks. I'm only in AL temporarily and will be returning to TN in the near future.
ghost

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

Did anyone know that in the Old Testament(KJV) that when they captured a King they would sometimes cut off their thumbs, and sometimes their great toes too.
Pastor Haslam

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

The Constitution is primarily a restriction on the federal government. There should never be a question about what we can do. We are free. The question is: can the out-of-control, tyrannical federal government do or get away with driving us into debt, driving us into prolonged wars (we clobbered two world powers in less than 4 years (12/7/41--9/2/45))and all the other craziness we let our government meddle with; can the government get away with all of that in light of the Constitution?
Gun Owner

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

Future Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
You can cry the "protect my family" garbage all you want. But, try explaining that to the families and friends who have lost loved ones due to guns. Especially in this recent situation--I'm sure those folks where just "protecting their family" by having a gun and they ended up killing someone. What if this where your child, parent, sibling, spouse, or friend? Would you still feel the same way?
I do not understand. You have not made a point yet. Are you using this isolated event to argue for gun control or just complaining about this story to anyone who will listen. I started this poll to discuss gun rights in Ameirica, not a shootng in Birmingham. Your hypothetical questions are nonsense.

“Give peace a chance!”

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

Gun Owner wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not understand. You have not made a point yet. Are you using this isolated event to argue for gun control or just complaining about this story to anyone who will listen. I started this poll to discuss gun rights in Ameirica, not a shootng in Birmingham. Your hypothetical questions are nonsense.
You must be blind if you can't see what my point is. Guns kill people whether it's by accident or intention, if the gun owner has a permit or not--it doesn't matter what the circumstances are, guns are dangerous.

I'm not ignorant on the issue of gun control as I happen to know quite a bit about obtaining a permit and gun safety. My father has a permit and always had guns in my childhood home. I was taught to respect guns and taught how to properly use one. My dad even made me take hunter's safety course and I even used to advocate the use of firearms. However, as I grew older and began paying more attention to the happenings of the world it sickened me to see day in and day out stories of children, teens, and young adults being killed by guns. It seemed to me that more harm than good has been caused by the use of guns and so I changed my opinions. I don't feel that makes me "immature" or stupid as some have labeled me.

As for my hypothetical questions being nonsense, I think not. Seriously, stop and think what it would be like if your child or grandchild found your gun and accidentally shot themselves with it. Yes, you may argue that you keep it locked up at all times and whatever but you can't deny that accidents like that happen and it could happen to you as well.

This story in B'ham just happened to occur this week and I saw this forum and thought it would be a good place to illustrate that even though one might think they are "protecting their family" they might end up causing more harm than good.

“global warming is a hoax”

Since: Apr 08

knoxville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

enough.

you're just talking to hear your head spin.

anyone who goes on and on and on and on and on trying to parse every word from every response, just comes off looking like a noob.

like i've said, you've made your point.
now go and argue in one of the redlight camera comment boards.
they're just waiting for another like you.
ghost

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

Future Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be blind if you can't see what my point is. Guns kill people whether it's by accident or intention, if the gun owner has a permit or not--it doesn't matter what the circumstances are, guns are dangerous.
I'm not ignorant on the issue of gun control as I happen to know quite a bit about obtaining a permit and gun safety. My father has a permit and always had guns in my childhood home. I was taught to respect guns and taught how to properly use one. My dad even made me take hunter's safety course and I even used to advocate the use of firearms. However, as I grew older and began paying more attention to the happenings of the world it sickened me to see day in and day out stories of children, teens, and young adults being killed by guns. It seemed to me that more harm than good has been caused by the use of guns and so I changed my opinions. I don't feel that makes me "immature" or stupid as some have labeled me.
As for my hypothetical questions being nonsense, I think not. Seriously, stop and think what it would be like if your child or grandchild found your gun and accidentally shot themselves with it. Yes, you may argue that you keep it locked up at all times and whatever but you can't deny that accidents like that happen and it could happen to you as well.
This story in B'ham just happened to occur this week and I saw this forum and thought it would be a good place to illustrate that even though one might think they are "protecting their family" they might end up causing more harm than good.
I`m glad you related the story, Thank you! Guns should not be used by those who can become very frightened in an event. Fear can work against one. However, I know nothing of the events of that story. So,I am not speaking of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

31 Users are viewing the Knoxville Forum right now

Search the Knoxville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 47 min logical fallacy 8,981
N. Knoxville man shot after answering door a N.... 1 hr John Blutarsky 2
Good tattoo artists? (Aug '12) 1 hr John Blutarsky 12
Hamblen County Sheriff's Department cuts ties w... (Jul '07) 2 hr don 294
The Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Culture of Slaughter ... 4 hr And 6
Bearden Healthcare Associates (Mar '13) 5 hr The truth 86
New Pain Clinic 6 hr looking 5
•••
•••
•••
•••

Knoxville Jobs

•••