Should Americans have the right to be...

Should Americans have the right to bear arms?

Created by Gun Owner on Apr 4, 2008

143 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes (explain answer)

No (explain answer)

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Matt up North

Oak Ridge, TN

#1 Apr 4, 2008
You cannot expect the government to defend your rights if you are not willing to yourself. Those who oppose gun rights have no problem 'relying' on others to protect them but they wouldn't do it themselves.
Bowser

Columbus, OH

#2 Apr 4, 2008
what are we talking about, concealed carry? or having a gun in the hands of every man woman and child?

“LIVE AND LET LIVE”

Since: Feb 08

Newport, TN.

#3 Apr 4, 2008
EVERY American should not have that right-there is a process you go through to get that right. Should the mentally retarded be allowed to carry ? Obviously not. Should convicted felons be allowed to carry ? No. Your forum is way too broad.

Earl Keese

“global warming is a hoax”

Since: Apr 08

knoxville

#4 Apr 4, 2008
Bowser wrote:
what are we talking about, concealed carry? or having a gun in the hands of every man woman and child?
obama came out and said he's against concealed carry permits.
i think that's the basis for the poll being started.

i guess he feels that the "typical person" with a legal permit is a reason crime is at a high rate.
Bowser

Columbus, OH

#5 Apr 4, 2008
Earl Keese wrote:
<quoted text>
obama came out and said he's against concealed carry permits.
i think that's the basis for the poll being started.
i guess he feels that the "typical person" with a legal permit is a reason crime is at a high rate.
doubtful
Gun Owner

Knoxville, TN

#6 Apr 4, 2008
Do you believe we should have the right to own and carry a gun? I asked this question to get a general idea of what people thought about gun control. There are always exceptions and isolated cases in every opinion. I took advantage of our right to bear arms by getting the carry permit. I thought it would be wise while we still have that opportunity.

Earl Keese

“global warming is a hoax”

Since: Apr 08

knoxville

#7 Apr 4, 2008
Bowser wrote:
<quoted text>
doubtful
actually, those were his exact feelings on the subject.
but then again, what do you expect from the little jr. senator ?

i fail to see how someone with no background in running a darn thing, can make it as far as he has in his attempt to plop his can in the oval office.(where he'll have ample armed protection all around him. while the rest of us have to fend for ourselves.)
The K-Town Shock Boys

United States

#8 Apr 4, 2008
Absolutely yes. The right to keep and bear is critically important to the safety and security of the U.S.A. and, if nothing else, to protect ourselves from tyranny in government.
Time

Murfreesboro, TN

#9 Apr 4, 2008
No, just the crooks should have them and if they want one, they will get one. I'll just hang a picture of my mother in law on my door.
ghost

Oak Grove, KY

#10 Apr 4, 2008
Gun Owner wrote:
Do you believe we should have the right to own and carry a gun? I asked this question to get a general idea of what people thought about gun control. There are always exceptions and isolated cases in every opinion. I took advantage of our right to bear arms by getting the carry permit. I thought it would be wise while we still have that opportunity.
This is confusing language to me. "One has a right, one gets a permit."
Does one still have a right after one gets a permit is my question?
ghost

Oak Grove, KY

#11 Apr 4, 2008
Read Article I, section 20. and Article XI, section 2 of the Tenn Constitution.
As for myself I sign nothing, and wait for the Supreme Court to rule in a few weeks, and see what happens.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Sevierville, TN

#12 Apr 4, 2008
Some people simply cannot be trusted with access to deadly force, but these people are relatively few. As a society, we've decided to at least try to keep firearms out of the hands of felons and those who suffer from mental illness. Others, like myself, decide for themselves not to own guns.

But there's no legitimate reason to deny the right to own and bear arms to citizens of good character, and I believe that the prevalence of armed citizens is a deterent to violent crime.

So I vote yes.
Gun Owner

Knoxville, TN

#13 Apr 4, 2008
ghost wrote:
<quoted text>This is confusing language to me. "One has a right, one gets a permit."
I was replying to a post about the forum being too broad. My point was that there are always exceptions, but what do people think about the big picture.

Montrose 1973

Since: Feb 08

Knox Co.

#14 Apr 4, 2008
We have the Right to not talk.
Gun Owner

Knoxville, TN

#15 Apr 4, 2008
ghost wrote:
<quoted text>This is confusing language to me. "One has a right, one gets a permit."
I don't believe we need a permit to exercise our right.
ghost

Oak Grove, KY

#16 Apr 4, 2008
Gun Owner wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe we need a permit to exercise our right.
I think when the Supreme Court rules we`ll all be O.K. All we need to do for now is wait.

“Give peace a chance!”

Since: Mar 07

Maryville, TN

#17 Apr 4, 2008
I just saw a story tonight in Birmingham where a young man came home to his apartment complex and accidentally went to the wrong door and tried to put his key in. The people inside that apartment shot him to death....

http://www.nbc13.com/gulfcoastwest/vtm/news.a...
Gun Owner

Knoxville, TN

#18 Apr 4, 2008
Future Teacher wrote:
I just saw a story tonight in Birmingham where a young man came home to his apartment complex and accidentally went to the wrong door and tried to put his key in. The people inside that apartment shot him to death....
http://www.nbc13.com/gulfcoastwest/vtm/news.a...
So what are you saying?????
Uncle Ned

Brentwood, TN

#19 Apr 4, 2008
We already do.

“Give peace a chance!”

Since: Mar 07

Maryville, TN

#20 Apr 4, 2008
Gun Owner wrote:
<quoted text>
So what are you saying?????
Idiots with a gun trying to "protect" themselves KILLED an innocent person who made a minor mistake.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knoxville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Parents want answers in alleged student paddling (Mar '08) 1 hr ugh 9
Do Black Lives really matter? 5 hr Life of Brian 15
News Tennessee wildfires lead to evacuation of downt... 18 hr Skunky 120
What is the society leeches job for this week? 20 hr Life of Brian 11
News Man charged with 'horrific' murder of parents Fri bernie42 1
Make America Hate Again! Fri Evil Roy Slade 36
Fone hacking w NFC, beaming, etc Fri umm 3

Knoxville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance