Concerns

Knoxville, TN

#1 Aug 30, 2012
I recently meet with a foster parent in Knoxville who told me about a agancy she works with that is part of a cult and she wants to quit being a foster parent but they have threatened her life if she tells about thier cult activity. The name of the agency is Smokey Mountain Childrens Home and pretends to be a christian church. Anyone else heard of this?
LOGIC PLEASE

United States

#2 Aug 30, 2012
WOW! Attacking a organization on hearsay!
How about proof?
Goats heads,etc
If you got REAL concerns,GET OFF THE NET,and call the Feds.
Concerned

United States

#3 Sep 27, 2012
LOGIC PLEASE wrote:
WOW! Attacking a organization on hearsay!
How about proof?
Goats heads,etc
If you got REAL concerns,GET OFF THE NET,and call the Feds.
I did just to ser if it had been reported. They said that agency was on watch list and they had recieved over 50 complaints on them since Febrary.
Witness

Maynardville, TN

#4 Nov 5, 2012
I use to work for them and they are a cult protected by the laws of freedom of religion. They can abuse children and called it religious practice. The director is a drug addict and they employ alot of questionable people.

Since: Nov 11

Knoxville, TN

#5 Nov 5, 2012
What kind of cult activity? Are we talking religious fanatics or like the comet freaks a long while back?
Answer

Columbus, OH

#6 Nov 15, 2012
Religious if you can call faith healing and exorcisms religious. Talking in tonges and claiming children are possessed. And not to mention stealing money from tax payers to finance thier activities.. Reminds me of the early Manson stories. There is a video on you tube about them where a supervisor from Scott county was caught on tape. If they have not paid to have it removed yet.
Lincoln

Kodak, TN

#7 Nov 24, 2013
Wow. My sister worked there as a case worker. She has not been right since.
basment arti

Oak Ridge, TN

#8 Nov 24, 2013
im startin my une cult,im going to call it sheepee town
Smfh

Hendersonville, NC

#9 Nov 24, 2013
Yea, ok. I don't believe this sack of bullshit. I know from personal experience that place isn't a cult. You're a jacked up individual to even believe someone that says that. Go to the home yourself and you will see that's a bullshit lie. And people never cease to amaze me.
Peaches

Matthews, NC

#10 Nov 25, 2013
I do not believe this either. Kids in DCS custody have had a lot of abuse in their life or the foster parents treating them wrong. Especially the recent shit that went down with DCS a few months back with the lawsuits and children dying in their care. Are you sure this person is for real or just doesn't have the guts to say they don't want to be a foster parent anymore? And now anybody is out for money because of the economy? If someone really cares, they will do whatever it takes to take care of the child that was sent to them. That takes a lot for someone to do that. That's what you call having a heart. SMCH is not a cult, I was there and they never once tried putting their beliefs back on me. It is a christan environment, it is a Godly place, they do good by the children and always have. I always smiled while I was there. I have nothing to say but good things about them. They shaped me into who I am today. I keep in contact witha few from there. I love that place. So make sure you know the facts before you run your mouth about something you heard. See for yourself, please!!
Justice

Kodak, TN

#12 Jan 17, 2014
Peaches wrote:
I do not believe this either. Kids in DCS custody have had a lot of abuse in their life or the foster parents treating them wrong. Especially the recent shit that went down with DCS a few months back with the lawsuits and children dying in their care. Are you sure this person is for real or just doesn't have the guts to say they don't want to be a foster parent anymore? And now anybody is out for money because of the economy? If someone really cares, they will do whatever it takes to take care of the child that was sent to them. That takes a lot for someone to do that. That's what you call having a heart. SMCH is not a cult, I was there and they never once tried putting their beliefs back on me. It is a christan environment, it is a Godly place, they do good by the children and always have. I always smiled while I was there. I have nothing to say but good things about them. They shaped me into who I am today. I keep in contact witha few from there. I love that place. So make sure you know the facts before you run your mouth about something you heard. See for yourself, please!!
. DCS: Foster care director lacked proper credentials
Dec. 04, 2013 @ 11:04 PM
JEFF FARRELL

SEVIERVILLE —
The Smoky Mountain Children’s Home dissolved the position of director of foster care Tuesday when Tennessee Department of Children’s Services found the man holding the position didn’t have proper academic credentials. The findings come after an investigation that started with questions from The Mountain Press.

DCS spokesman Rob Johnson informed The Mountain Press Tuesday that the department had determined SMCH’s foster care director, Don Baker, didn’t meet state guidelines despite degrees he had submitted to the state that seemed to indicate he had the proper qualifications.

“After a careful review, we determined that Don Baker’s academic credentials did not meet the DCS licensing requirements for a casework supervisor within a child-placing agency,” Johnson said.

The children’s home is an outreach of the Church of God, but falls under DCS guidelines for private providers of child care because it contracts with the state to care for children. Those guidelines include academic requirements for certain employees. The Mountain Press began investigating Baker’s credentials after receiving an unsigned letter saying he didn’t have the academic credentials required for his position.

Under the state’s guidelines, a casework supervisor is required to have a master’s degree in social work and two years experience in the provision of foster care or adoption services, or an equivalent degree in a related field and three years of experience. Baker had given the state a master’s degree in psychology from the University of Central Kentucky in May of 1998, and a doctor of arts in human services from Corllins University, an online school, in 2012.

After more than a week of investigation The Mountain Press could not find any record of the University of Central Kentucky, and found that Corllins University is not accredited through accrediting organizations recognized by the United States Department of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.

DCS had initially said it appeared Baker had the proper qualifications, but started a new review after The Mountain Press relayed its findings. That second review resulted in Tuesday’s decision.

According to information from the DCS, officials at the Children’s Home said the position of foster care director would be dissolved, and all of its supervisory responsibilities will be transferred to another director.
Proud Liberal

Knoxville, TN

#13 Jan 18, 2014
I just did a google search from U of Central KY..and I found this website, http://franklin.edumazing.org/..looks like it may be another online university
Grace

Kodak, TN

#14 Jan 19, 2014
It's a buy here pay here college. You can buy online degrees and they offer a validation service for a fee. I saw where for $349 dollars you can buy a masters degree from them and they will field calls to tell anyone who checks that you have a valid degree. It's a fake degree for hire scam.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knoxville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where's My Flaccid Jackit lovers At? 5 hr The Flaccid Jackit 1
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 8 hr TheRealZeke 9,441
TN 16 Known Dead From Storms In Tennessee (Apr '11) 8 hr none 1,376
Bike Night 8 hr Harry Pitts 1
UT Lost 12 hr pollo loco 8
Tenn. Lesbian Couple Burned Out of Home (Sep '10) 13 hr ucanthandletruth 144
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 16 hr Calhoun 8,640
•••
•••
•••

Knoxville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••