Four horses removed from a Cumberland County farm

Sheriff's deputies and a horse rescue group banded together Wednesday evening, to rescue four horse from a Cumberland County farm. Full Story
Lynne

Hollywood, FL

#21 Feb 8, 2007
Crossville Native wrote:
<quoted text>
from what i know there were over a hundred mares lost last year and in the past few weeks several have died because of the cold they have had to endure. this whole thing makes me sick to think that there are people out there that are protecting this idiot. its a buddy system in cumberland county and i know people have benn trying to get something done for a long time. from whati know as of right now........nothing is going to be done about the other horses........MAKES ME SICK !!!!!!!!!
Thank you Crossville Native for your response. I agree with you all of the animals should be relocated to a rescue group. If you cannot pay for them and if you cannot provide what they need, you should not be allowed to have them. Period.
unknown

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#22 Feb 8, 2007
I know these people. They are good people. Nina Margeston -- you do not have a clue as to the words you are spreading around in your newsletter. They're other horses on the farm that do not belong to Jimmy Whittenburg. At times, if the bill is not paid, the horses are told to be picked up. First of all, there is only 60 to 70 horses on the farm, which is nothing near your "over a hundred horses" that you are so calling it. My dear lady, if you cannot count, add, subtract, divide, or multiply, I only wonder how you got hired as a newsreporter. Who is the idiot that hired you? These are good people that you are slandering. You have no right to talk about people and say things that are untrue.
Hannah

Franklin, TN

#23 Feb 8, 2007
I like horses!!!
Janet Gregg

Livermore, CA

#24 Feb 8, 2007
This is so wrong and the rest of these horses will continue to be abused and die if they are not removed. Sad to see that the local authorities are failing to do their jobs to save these animals. Someone with higher authority needs to step in fast! You failed to report about the horses who have already died.
Karla

Livermore, CA

#25 Feb 8, 2007
unknown wrote:
I know these people. They are good people. Nina Margeston -- you do not have a clue as to the words you are spreading around in your newsletter. They're other horses on the farm that do not belong to Jimmy Whittenburg. At times, if the bill is not paid, the horses are told to be picked up. First of all, there is only 60 to 70 horses on the farm, which is nothing near your "over a hundred horses" that you are so calling it. My dear lady, if you cannot count, add, subtract, divide, or multiply, I only wonder how you got hired as a newsreporter. Who is the idiot that hired you? These are good people that you are slandering. You have no right to talk about people and say things that are untrue.
If he is truly boarding horses, then it is his responsibility to feed them. There is no excuse to not have water on the property. How can you possibly say "these are good people?" They should be locked up in an outhouse, given moldy cornbread and a shot glass of water per day and let them live in their own filth.
Karla

Livermore, CA

#26 Feb 8, 2007
Just a question wrote:
PETA was the group that put out the first action alert and they insisted that complaints had been made heavily for a 10 day period. While the rest of the modern world knew of this situation the Cumberland County Sheriffs department claimed they were unaware of the situation and no complaints had been filed. Sad, sad, sad. I know of 3 people at least whocalled to complain and all were told the situation was never reported.
The local authorities have known about this for a while. I also heard some of the malnourished horses have been "hidden" by a local law enforcement officer!
Karla

Livermore, CA

#27 Feb 8, 2007
concerned family member wrote:
this man has taken care of horses all his life. there should have been more investigation into this matter. what gives a person rights to come and take something off your property without permisson. animals get sick just like humans do,some live some die ,its natures way. jimmy whittenburg has rehabilitated lots of horses. i was there when the horses was taken ,there was no warnings to this man,his rights as a free true blooded american were violated.wbir should have got a interview before they aired this story .this man was working, he seems to be guilty according to your story. this is unfair.
He is guilty. How can you look at the pictures on Horse Haven's website or what PETA posted and make such a silly statement? He knows nothing about proper animal care. When one of my horses get injured, I call the vet. Perhaps "good old boy" Jimmy does not have the brains to pick up a phone. I hope all of the horses are removed and given the lives they deserve.
mandy

Dunlap, TN

#28 Feb 9, 2007
HHT is a money hungry organization.
they have a history of going on property and taking horses. numerous calls have been made to help with feed and hay. i was denied, just saying cash donations. hmmm something is not right here.
Sherry Van Norstran

Nashville, TN

#29 Feb 9, 2007
I don't think they should have left the rest of the horses to this mans care - what were they thinking?
Sherry Van Norstran

Nashville, TN

#30 Feb 9, 2007
Karla wrote:
<quoted text>
The local authorities have known about this for a while. I also heard some of the malnourished horses have been "hidden" by a local law enforcement officer!
If "local law enforcement" actually knew about this and "hid" evidence - they should be locked up too!
friend of neighbor

Cincinnati, OH

#31 Feb 9, 2007
I know the family that lives in the house that is pictured. They are not the ones that own these horses. They belong to their neighbor.
mandy

Dunlap, TN

#32 Feb 9, 2007
they only took 4 from my understanding. and they are young fillies. no talk about going back to get the remainder of the 13 that they were supposed to take out. and some horses were tring to get in trailers and they left them. HHT is nothing more than cameras hogs and money hungry people.
concerned horse owner

Crossville, TN

#33 Feb 9, 2007
concerned family member wrote:
this man has taken care of horses all his life. there should have been more investigation into this matter. what gives a person rights to come and take something off your property without permisson. animals get sick just like humans do,some live some die ,its natures way. jimmy whittenburg has rehabilitated lots of horses. i was there when the horses was taken ,there was no warnings to this man,his rights as a free true blooded american were violated.wbir should have got a interview before they aired this story .this man was working, he seems to be guilty according to your story. this is unfair.
Jimmy did have notice of this issue in plenty of time.yes he has taken horses in to nhelp them but what about the horses he has had there from birth and raised that got sick, was mal nurished and died? whats his excuse for that? Humans do go to the dr.s when they get sick but animals depend on his to take thenm to the dr.s and he did not do that. He ignored the demands of those horses that were sick. It's not like they got sick over night. Some of those horses had been sick for a while and he let them die because he did not care!!!!!! Horses don't wither down to nothin but BONES over night and he didn't buy them that way!!!!
concerned horse owner

Crossville, TN

#34 Feb 9, 2007
friend of neighbor wrote:
I know the family that lives in the house that is pictured. They are not the ones that own these horses. They belong to their neighbor.
The guy that owns them live in the house in the back (not shown) on top of the hill.Beautiful house
concerned horse owner

Crossville, TN

#35 Feb 9, 2007
mandy wrote:
HHT is a money hungry organization.
they have a history of going on property and taking horses. numerous calls have been made to help with feed and hay. i was denied, just saying cash donations. hmmm something is not right here.
This time HHT had the right to investigate and take action to remove these horses. It was needed to be done and the rest need to get out of there as well.
concerned horse owner

Crossville, TN

#36 Feb 9, 2007
Sherry Van Norstran wrote:
<quoted text>
If "local law enforcement" actually knew about this and "hid" evidence - they should be locked up too!
yes horses have been taken from here by the owner to hide them, they were the most critical ones and need immediate vetrinary help!!!
concerned horse owner

Crossville, TN

#38 Feb 9, 2007
Sherry Van Norstran wrote:
I don't think they should have left the rest of the horses to this mans care - what were they thinking?
It's the law. Unless the local officials make the call now to remove these horses and actualy charge this man nothing else will be done.
concerned horse owner

Crossville, TN

#37 Feb 9, 2007
mandy wrote:
they only took 4 from my understanding. and they are young fillies. no talk about going back to get the remainder of the 13 that they were supposed to take out. and some horses were tring to get in trailers and they left them. HHT is nothing more than cameras hogs and money hungry people.
They had to leave the rest, they were not ordered to take them and yes the remainder of the 60 horses reamin on the property but that is up to the local law inforcement to do something about them now. Ag did their job and I DO NOT AGREE with them not issueing these others horses out of there. There are some that look extremely skinny and pregnant. Their back bones and hips and tail bones stick out but their belly is big cause theyre pregnant. I just don't understand.People need to contact the sherrif and get them to do more. Get MORE AG peopl out there, a second opinion,bring them from where ever and get the job done right, not half ***. Seems like they did enough to shut every one up.
concerned horse owner

Crossville, TN

#39 Feb 9, 2007
This abuse has been going on alot more longer than people know. Try YEARS!! just no one would speak up and say anything. Alot of horses has died there from neglect.
concerned horse owner

Crossville, TN

#40 Feb 9, 2007
Karla wrote:
<quoted text>
If he is truly boarding horses, then it is his responsibility to feed them. There is no excuse to not have water on the property. How can you possibly say "these are good people?" They should be locked up in an outhouse, given moldy cornbread and a shot glass of water per day and let them live in their own filth.
Lets talk about the horses on that farm. They are not cared for properly. If they are why do they have bones proptruding out of them??? Why are the studs in the barn 15 of them not mentioned at all, their stalls havnt been cleaned in months!!!! Ive seen this and couldn't beleive my eyes.You can't even open their stall doors because of the CRAP they are forced to live in!!! They live in mush. Anyone who loves their animals wouldn't for a minute treat them the way he does. Don't even go there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knoxville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bill Haslam bid for Vice-President 53 min Lobbyist for Truth 1
Obama Calls for Two Years of Free Community Col... 2 hr barefoot2626 1,313
J Justice in the area looking for Delta 32 CCR5... 3 hr club xyz 3
Who is the best disability lawyer in Knoxville? (Nov '12) 16 hr ktn 27
persistent jet contrails 20 hr Dung Beetle 12
Can you make a difference Tue Daughter 1
Review: Pain Management Strategies (Sep '13) Mon in pain 8

Winter Storm Watch for Knox County was issued at March 04 at 10:10AM CST

Knoxville Dating
Find my Match