Xenical to be available over the counter

Xenical to be available over the counter

There are 95 comments on the WBIR Knoxville story from Feb 8, 2007, titled Xenical to be available over the counter. In it, WBIR Knoxville reports that:

For the first time, the Food and Drug Administration is making a prescription diet drug available over the counter.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR Knoxville.

Carol

North Scituate, RI

#68 May 18, 2007
May 18, 20007

On the weight issue that was published about the drug Xenical being released. I am happy to hear that they will be releasing it to the public to buy over the counter. I have used it and with the correct diet and exercise it is possible to lose weight. As for the comments from those who have made unkind gestures. Not everyone has it as easy as others at losing weight. There are many factors why people gain weight some are from heriditary factors others can be from medical issues or from having to take medications that can cause people to gain weight. Some should think before they speak.
The Response

AOL

#69 May 22, 2007
Get a Grip wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is an idea for you brandi, how about getting your fat butt off the couch and going for a walk! Oh, here is another one, stop eating Mcdonald's super size meals...with that diet coke! You may be surprised by just how much weight you could lose if you actually showed a little self control instead of looking for a magical pill!
Response: You are an insensitive jerk, if you should have a heart attack someone should tell you, to try being more healthy, Duh!!!!!!!!!!
Weight Loss

United States

#70 May 23, 2007
The only way to lose weight is to juice roids and exercise daily for the rest of your life, for if you stop, you will gain it back
Huh

Sarnia, Canada

#71 May 23, 2007
"juice roids"? What does that mean? It sounds like you're talking about lancing hemmerhoids?
Jess

United States

#72 May 28, 2007
Fat people who comment wrote:
You fat asse$ should be very happy about having a pill to take instead of exercising and eating healthy. I hate fat people with their stinky fat people smell and stained clothes...you disgust me. I can’t wait until you eat yourself into a heart attack. Fat people are a complete waste of resources to those of us who don't eat more than necessary.

To the idiot who wrote this. Not all big people are lazy some of us have very real medical problems. I suffer from hypothyroidism and I'm on meds. I'm also vegetarian who works out 2 hours a day 5 days a week and still 75 lbs over weight. When was last time you went to the gym!!!
April

AOL

#73 May 28, 2007
I really don't think this will work and give many people false hope and make the drug companies richer, I been in almost every weight loss drug and spent thousands of dollars, Phen/Phen really worked on me, but down fall was I did not teach myself to eat. Think about it, what are the drug companies doing, it's not affordable, who's the dumb one, I think the best thing someone can do is that they should seek professional help, I did and I am finally dropping the weight. See a dr that specializes in obesity. I am currently seeing this Dr. in Beverly Hills. Hes great, I would recommend him to everyone but not everyone lives in LA. Dr. Kerendian is great, he belongs to many weight loss orgainizations.
April

AOL

#74 May 28, 2007
steveinlctn wrote:
I think we won't need a pill or "majic cure" if most people would stay out of McDonalds, Burger King, and other "Fast" food chains. Try eating food for a while and not junk...
Not all fat people eat fast food, I developed many health issues such as insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome, causing all diets and medications to be useless, this is what is wrong with people today, they are not educated on obesity, it's a disease that we are just learning about. If it was not for my Dr. telling what was wrong with me, I probaly still be fat, I am still fat and have a long way to go, but my Dr. is helping me. I thank Dr. Kerendian for telling me what I had wrong. So think before you speak
Julie

AOL

#75 May 28, 2007
April I agree wih you, I also seen Dr. Kerendian and he told me I had metabolic syndrome. I had been on Xenical for 1 year and only lost 15 lbs and had many accidents. Ever since Dr. Kerendian has put me on metformin for blood sugars and thyroid I lost a lot of weight, he also has me on Tenaute 75mg and doing lipotropic injections. This is all helping me, I do agree, this over the counter drug is useless and it's only going to make drug companies richer. People should seek Dr.'s like Dr. Kerendian. He belongs to the American Society of Bariatric Physicain's. That is where I found him. They had many doctors in my area, I called him because his staff was able to answer my concerns I had
becky

Beaumont, TX

#76 May 30, 2007
I take prescription xenical it does help in losing weight for those of us who sit behind a desk 8-10 hrs/day and have problems exercise due to back surgeries, the side effects arent pleasent but if you know they happen just be prepared.
Also I have had a very pleasent side effect, as long as I take xenical I have NO MOUTH ULCERS! I have been plaqued with these my whole life and never went more than a few weeks at a time without them.
That alone is worth pinching pennies and paying the very high cost of this drug.
brandi

AOL

#77 Jun 7, 2007
has anyone ever heard of taking Phentermine and Alli together. One only flushes fat but does not work on your on your nervous system like phentermine does so I was wondering if it was safe? Phentermine just isn't working as well this time!
cab123

Pensacola, FL

#79 Jun 12, 2007
brandi wrote:
Supposed to hit market in June..I am really excited there is another diet pill that probably wont work either..I have tried everything..Really looking for a doc that perscribes the diet pill Adapex..If you know of one please let me know..
In family practice doc will prescribe phentermine 37.5 (Adipex-P) if it is deemed necessary and your medical history doesn't reflect anything that could cause an adverse effect; however, even phentermine isn't a sole solution. You have to work out to some extent and modify your eating habits to incorporate better, healthier ones. NOT DIET. Dieting isn't necessarily a solution either. Alli is an OTC version of a prescription diet med but is only 60mg whereas the rx version is 120mg. AND is designed merely to block SOME of the fat intake at each meal BUT will punish you (so to speak) if you eat a big, fat-laden meal. You will experience "leakage". If your body won't absorb all that fat, it only has one place to go and that process is involuntary. So carefully read up on all of these meds before using them.
you 2

Clinton, NC

#80 Jun 12, 2007
NON COMPLACENT TWINK wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't you special!!
I can't stand arugent a holes like yourself. All people who are big doesn't necessarily eat all the time. Sometimes this is genetic. So your rude self needs to leave that subject alone. You are just exercising your stupidity with what you wrote!!!
Kim

Oklahoma City, OK

#81 Jun 13, 2007
Beginning June 15th, alli will be available in all major drug, grocery, and discount/warehouse stores in the weight loss product aisle.
This is what I just heard on Oklahoma news and read that some states are already selling it.

This is what I found on Walgreen's website.
alli 60mg Starter Pack
90 Capsules
90.0 ea.
Product Rating
(0 ratings)
Write a Review

Release Date:
6/18/2007
About
Pre-Order
$59.99
Ships for Free

Since: Jun 07

Cloquet, MN

#83 Jun 14, 2007
Congratulations on your loss. But wait until you go off of it. Oh Oh
Jayson

AOL

#87 Jun 18, 2007
This why people should seek professional help and physicians that actually know about weight management, this new drug is not for everyone and there is no magic pill for weight loss. First you should all the factors before losing weight. You can always try lipotropics injections with b-12, you will get better results than those pill and no side effects
Laura

Worcester, UK

#89 Jun 20, 2007
Ok im in the UK n im overweight, my doc won't prescribe me weightloss tablets, he says i should try diets, so i do this, n lose a stone then once i stop the diet, i put on the stone i lost along with another 7lb. I have Scoliosis (a back problem) and find it hard to do exercise workouts, but do swim. My doctor says he still won't give me the tablets, even though i have struggled for many years with it, i am not a lazy person who eats mcdonalds, im hardworking and work long hours, n a veggie.
Does anyone know of any websites that i can get a hold of real xenical, n what results have u had from them?
Sorry for rambling.
Debbie

AOL

#90 Jun 21, 2007
I think that while not all obese people eat fast food often, MOST of them do. They also tend to eat at all-you-can-eat restaurants. They do not stay fat watching their diets and exercising moderately.
Troy

Miami, FL

#92 Jun 22, 2007
I agree with Tim.
But Junk food is cheaper than regular food :(. When you start to eat health, you will see how much you spend comparing to junk food. I do understand low income ppl in this point..Plus doing some exercises will help big time

If you will try something try Natural Remedies like the following one.. Hoodia Gordonii
http://hoodiastore.org

Troy
Ms Educate

Cleveland, OH

#94 Jun 26, 2007
I agree. Im not sure if it you origin honey but get with the future. Not all of us can rope sheep all day long for a living. Some of the educated US have executive positions working 70 hours a week and eating when we get a chance. Adapex is a miracle drug, like others can be harmful if abused.

“Life is what God makes it”

Since: Apr 07

Martinez, GA

#95 Jun 26, 2007
You just make me furious! Evidently you have no problems in this area! I have been on various drugs and have gained 70 pounds. I have been on every diet known to man and I exercise 30 min every day. I still don't lose the weight. And no, I don't eat at McDonalds or any other fast food places. Sometimes there is a different reason that people stay fat. I wish I knew the answers. Apparently you are as stupid as the rest of us. You will be judged in the same way you judge. Watch out!
Get a Grip wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is an idea for you brandi, how about getting your fat butt off the couch and going for a walk! Oh, here is another one, stop eating Mcdonald's super size meals...with that diet coke! You may be surprised by just how much weight you could lose if you actually showed a little self control instead of looking for a magical pill!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knoxville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bittle, Donnie SLUMLORD 39 min Pfhs 2
wbir/abby ham (Dec '11) 6 hr Lockheed 65
News Mandatory Waiting Periods Are Making Abortions ... 11 hr South Knox Hombre 1
News Knoxville police search for stolen vehicle 11 hr South Knox Hombre 1
News Nissan recalling Altima and Sentra cars over se... (Nov '07) Sat toywrench 22
News OUR STORIES: The legendary life of Knoxville's ... (Apr '07) Sat Friend of Jackie 3
Stolen tools and tool box from state street gar... Fri Pissedoff 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Knoxville Mortgages