Birth Of Boy Solves Japanese Imperial...

Birth Of Boy Solves Japanese Imperial Heir Issue

There are 3 comments on the Kutv.com story from Sep 6, 2006, titled Birth Of Boy Solves Japanese Imperial Heir Issue. In it, Kutv.com reports that:

With shouts of "Banzai," Japanese celebrated the birth Wednesday of the imperial family's first male heir since the 1960s, a development that squelched hopes of reform to allow women on the throne.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kutv.com.

Kearney

Columbia, MD

#1 Sep 7, 2006
I don't much care about the life of the royal families. They live in gilded cages.
Cromwell

Coventry, UK

#2 Sep 7, 2006
Sure, Kearney, but as a constitutional device royalty has its advantages.

In the US the president is the Head of State and the head of the government. So, the argument runs, the natural respect that people tend to have towards their Head of State can be abused by politicians pursuing their own or their party's agenda. Politicians get arrogant enough, don't they, when you ask them to look after business for you, without letting them prance around like they own the place?

In a constitutional monarchy the Emperor, King, Queen etc. has the fancy dress, palaces etc but no day to day power. Gilded cages as you say. But at least they serve to remind politicians that they are just the hired help: here today, gone tomorrow.
vaishali tyagi

Mumbai, India

#3 Sep 9, 2006
I think women deserve half the sky everywhere, even the japanese monarchy.Give her a chance,let the princess get what is rightfully her own.It's time the japanese culture became egalitarian in mind and spirit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yokota, Japan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Japan Is Still Looking For Answers About This 1... (Apr '14) May '14 Ainu 21
News Japan, N. Korea move to restart formal talks (Mar '14) Mar '14 Ainu 1
News In Fukushima, abandoned pets are multiplying (Jan '14) Jan '14 Atsugi 1
News Yokota to cut off heat early as part of budget ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Anonymous 1
News Japan Nuclear Nightmare: Tokyo Fears Radiation (Mar '11) Aug '11 traveller 20
News Marine nuclear rescue team stands ready in Japan (Apr '11) Apr '11 quake 4
News Japan cites radiation in milk, spinach near plant (Mar '11) Mar '11 Petro 2
More from around the web