Search for Aussies amid poisoning fears

Search for Aussies amid poisoning fears

There are 30 comments on the AdelaideNow... story from Mar 14, 2011, titled Search for Aussies amid poisoning fears. In it, AdelaideNow... reports that:

THE agony continues for an Australian teacher who may have radiation poisoning from a Japanese nuclear plant explosion, despite her safe arrival back home yesterday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at AdelaideNow....

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
maybe u 2

Toronto, Canada

#1 Mar 17, 2011
Richard

Fitzroy, Australia

#2 Mar 17, 2011
Personally I think this is a beat up. The quoted dose rate of Gamma is quoted as 400 microsieverts. Anyone living in a brick house is getting that all the time and if you lie on beach sand the dose rate is 17k to 20k the black bits in the sand contain thorium.
There is no contamination as none of the reactors have popped there tops and neutron levels are under control. The irradiation is being caused by the release of radio active hydrogen H3 tritium which is a gas and lighter than air. most of it will float to the upper atmosphere. We must all hope the reactors retain there integrity which to date they have, otherwise another story.
teddy

Milperra, Australia

#3 Mar 17, 2011
Richard wrote:
Personally I think this is a beat up. The quoted dose rate of Gamma is quoted as 400 microsieverts. Anyone living in a brick house is getting that all the time and if you lie on beach sand the dose rate is 17k to 20k the black bits in the sand contain thorium.
There is no contamination as none of the reactors have popped there tops and neutron levels are under control. The irradiation is being caused by the release of radio active hydrogen H3 tritium which is a gas and lighter than air. most of it will float to the upper atmosphere. We must all hope the reactors retain there integrity which to date they have, otherwise another story.
Any source to prove your theory "Richard" you idiot.
Richard

Fitzroy, Australia

#4 Mar 17, 2011
To Teddy, Yes moron go do a course on protection against ironising radiation you dumb arse. Go get an Eberline try putting it on you brick wall or your self for that matter, but in your case probabley no counts brain dead. We all have to make allowences for fools.
Richard

Fitzroy, Australia

#5 Mar 17, 2011
The course is available at UW
Jean-Claude van Damn-it

United States

#6 Mar 20, 2011
I am confused as I believed meltdown had in fact occurred (was preceded by the initial explosions) along with fusion of rods. I also understood that reactor 4 pool (containing spent fuel rods) went kaboom. Fukushima will be deep-sixed and abandoned similarly as what happened with Chernobyl.

What is the fecking rate of decay for those chemicals, sweethearts?

“We don't have to take it”

Since: Jun 08

WhereTFamI?

#7 Mar 20, 2011
Jean-Claude van Damn-it wrote:
I am confused as I believed meltdown had in fact occurred (was preceded by the initial explosions) along with fusion of rods. I also understood that reactor 4 pool (containing spent fuel rods) went kaboom. Fukushima will be deep-sixed and abandoned similarly as what happened with Chernobyl.
What is the fecking rate of decay for those chemicals, sweethearts?
http://www.topix.com/forum/world/australia/T9...

Punch Q & A on Japan and the nuclear disaster

The Punch put some questions to one of the nation’s nuclear experts - Dr Gerald Laurence. Dr Laurence is a Radiation Safety Adviser and an Adjunct Associate Professor at the University of Adelaide’s School of Chemistry and Physics.
----------

Q) How scared should people in Japan be about the nuclear situation?

A) Not a great deal – the 20-year total of deaths from Chernobyl (from the UN 20-year report) suggests that the radiation related deaths are of the order of a few thousand at most; of the thyroid cancers, mostly in the young 99 per cent were treated & cured (note all the data in the report are strongly disputed by environmental and progressive groups who claim that WHO & IAEA are under the influence of the nuclear industrial complex).

In Japan so far it is spent fuel rods that were removed from the core in November, so iodine-131 (which has an eight-day half life) is not a major risk. The most serious fission product that will be released will be caesium-137 with a 30-year half life.

The possibility of food (rice, milk, etc.) being contaminated because of contaminated fields is real, but public health measures (testing and so on) should mean such produce should not reach the public. Local contamination (houses, towns) will clear at rates dependent on the weather (dissolved in rain, etc.). Local weather also disperses & dilutes the plume (and I assume the Japan Met Bureau can model this very well).
----------

More Q & A on:
http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/punch-q-a ...
no hanson party

Thornton, Australia

#8 Mar 20, 2011
Gottaliv wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/world/australia/T9...
Punch Q & A on Japan and the nuclear disaster
The Punch put some questions to one of the nation’s nuclear experts - Dr Gerald Laurence. Dr Laurence is a Radiation Safety Adviser and an Adjunct Associate Professor at the University of Adelaide’s School of Chemistry and Physics.
----------
Q) How scared should people in Japan be about the nuclear situation?
A) Not a great deal – the 20-year total of deaths from Chernobyl (from the UN 20-year report) suggests that the radiation related deaths are of the order of a few thousand at most; of the thyroid cancers, mostly in the young 99 per cent were treated & cured (note all the data in the report are strongly disputed by environmental and progressive groups who claim that WHO & IAEA are under the influence of the nuclear industrial complex).
In Japan so far it is spent fuel rods that were removed from the core in November, so iodine-131 (which has an eight-day half life) is not a major risk. The most serious fission product that will be released will be caesium-137 with a 30-year half life.
The possibility of food (rice, milk, etc.) being contaminated because of contaminated fields is real, but public health measures (testing and so on) should mean such produce should not reach the public. Local contamination (houses, towns) will clear at rates dependent on the weather (dissolved in rain, etc.). Local weather also disperses & dilutes the plume (and I assume the Japan Met Bureau can model this very well).
----------
More Q & A on:
http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/punch-q-a ...
more thieving - lol pathetic
Jean-Claude van Damn-it

United States

#9 Mar 20, 2011
Your data is distorted and not accurate.

WhereTFamI?

#10 Mar 20, 2011
Your data is distorted and not accurate.
It's not my data. Argue with The Punch for printing the article and the Nuclear Safety Scientists who state and write their own 'facts'.
no hanson party

Thornton, Australia

#11 Mar 20, 2011
Gottaliv wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not my data. Argue with The Punch for printing the article and the Nuclear Safety Scientists who state and write their own 'facts'.
You got it 100% correct - not your data (never is)!

WhereTFamI?

#12 Mar 20, 2011
no hanson party wrote:
<quoted text>
You got it 100% correct - not your data (never is)!
FOAD
Jean-Claude van Damn-it

United States

#13 Mar 20, 2011
Fair enough. There's a great deal of misinformation out there and that information gets translated, at times twisted or distorted, published then quoted, and so on and so on. What I find curious is the fact that--despite very obvious evidence to the contrary, there are people out there trying to claim that radiation is harmless or even "good for you."

Is it stocks? Investments? Dependencies on foreign oil?
no hanson party

Thornton, Australia

#14 Mar 20, 2011
Gottaliv wrote:
<quoted text>
FOAD
You honestly lack the ability to write anything in the forum without the excessive quotation - that is verging on plagiarism...In actual fact you would have a report rejected in any Australian University the way you go about things........
Jean-Claude van Damn-it

United States

#15 Mar 20, 2011
What is FOAD? Aside from being a mutated TOAD?
Jean-Claude van Damn-it

United States

#16 Mar 20, 2011
Nevermind. Looked it up.

Mutated TOAD was kinda fitting and cute, I thought.

WhereTFamI?

#17 Mar 20, 2011
Fair enough. There's a great deal of misinformation out there and that information gets translated, at times twisted or distorted, published then quoted, and so on and so on. What I find curious is the fact that--despite very obvious evidence to the contrary, there are people out there trying to claim that radiation is harmless or even "good for you."
Is it stocks? Investments? Dependencies on foreign oil?
Everything controversial is always about money. We can get radiation sickness in our own homes if we've got enough electrical gear. When natural disasters occur it's always amusing to see the 'authorities' go into damage control and fiercely deny there is any danger to human health - until people start dropping like flies or have their cancer linked to the disaster.

We've got asbestos lying around all over the place from the recent floods but 'authorities' say it "doesn't pose any threat to health" - and we've got other experts saying it most definitely does. It only takes one small fibre to start off Mesothelioma and there's plenty of fibres blowing on the wind. Guess we'll have a spike in lung cancers in the future.

Millions of houses here were built of fibro after the war, it's a disease that will never die.
no hanson party

Thornton, Australia

#18 Mar 20, 2011
Gottaliv wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything controversial is always about money. We can get radiation sickness in our own homes if we've got enough electrical gear. When natural disasters occur it's always amusing to see the 'authorities' go into damage control and fiercely deny there is any danger to human health - until people start dropping like flies or have their cancer linked to the disaster.
We've got asbestos lying around all over the place from the recent floods but 'authorities' say it "doesn't pose any threat to health" - and we've got other experts saying it most definitely does. It only takes one small fibre to start off Mesothelioma and there's plenty of fibres blowing on the wind. Guess we'll have a spike in lung cancers in the future.
Millions of houses here were built of fibro after the war, it's a disease that will never die.
OMG! Expert on asbestos - LOL
Jean-Claude van Damn-it

United States

#19 Mar 21, 2011
Okay, the author really deserves credit for this, but I cannot find him. I noticed this online as the situation at Fukushima worsened. I was so stressed out that I could barely focus at the time to make note of his name. Who knows maybe he, himself did not write it. Here it is. I think it's profound...

"Only when the last tree has been cut down,
Only when the last river has been poisoned,
Only when the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten."

WhereTFamI?

#20 Mar 21, 2011
Okay, the author really deserves credit for this, but I cannot find him. I noticed this online as the situation at Fukushima worsened. I was so stressed out that I could barely focus at the time to make note of his name. Who knows maybe he, himself did not write it. Here it is. I think it's profound...
"Only when the last tree has been cut down,
Only when the last river has been poisoned,
Only when the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten."
It has been attributed to being an American Indian philosophy, but I can't tell you which tribe. Google would probably know.:)

What is stressing you out so badly?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tohoku, Japan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ultraman: 50 years battling monsters Jan '16 ABORTDEGUFARAMDEB... 5
News Oil prices pose threat to world economy (Jun '08) Jun '15 Raj Chanani 3
News RMS Commends Tokyo's Adoption of Nat Cat Quake ... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Local 2
News Japan marks 4 years since 3/11 disasters (Mar '15) Mar '15 WOMDRUDAISOMIDEBD... 40
News TOKYO: Tsunami advisory issued in Iwate Prefecture (Feb '15) Feb '15 minor tsunami 1
News 5.7-magnitude quake hits Japan (Feb '15) Feb '15 last summer 1
News 6.8 earthquake hits off Japanese coast (Feb '15) Feb '15 600 kms n of Tokyo 1
More from around the web