Japanese authorities brace for possible nuclear meltdown

Full story: TwinCities.com

Japan launched a massive military rescue operation Saturday after a giant, quake-fed tsunami killed hundreds of people and turned the northeastern coast into a swampy wasteland, while authorities braced for a possible meltdown at a nuclear reactor.
Comments
201 - 208 of 208 Comments Last updated Apr 7, 2011
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Help is near

Prior Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2011

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, it was the sudden loss of power to the plant and the back-up systems that caused the nuclear plant failure.
There are many scenarios outside of a major earthquake that could cause this same chain of events anywhere, not just in earthquake prone areas.
These manmade systems need to consider ALL scenarios, don't they?

It's NOT just Japan and NOT just an earthquake, you are right. But the best minds need to evaluate every known event possible and put in place needed backup systems or shutdown procedures to as much as possible eliminate risks of these plants.

ICBM launch sites use 2 launch staff so as to avoid a launch by a radical. Just last week we had a lone air traffic manager at the DC airport go to sleep on duty.

Government (we need a prayer here) needs to be responsible for professional manning of these high risk operations.

Seems to me it is pretty common knowledge that in many cases a Tusnami follows an earthquake, correct?

To construct a nuke plant on the ocean in a highly earthquake prone area with a control room and backup generators vulnerable to water damage is just silly.

We have yet to see what the final outcome will be from this disaster. We now have Tokyo with contaminated drinking water. Where this mess ends is unknown. Is there a possibility of the entire island of Japan being contaminated? Do you know?
Hurts

Columbia, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2011

Hurts wrote:
The fact is what is happening in Japan right now could have been prevented. All they had to do was smother the reactors with concrete or sand. Instead, they used sea water to cool it and people are still getting contaminated. I do not believe it when they say the trace amounts outside of Japan poses no harm.
No, no, no. It is not nuts. Please look it up for yourself. Michio Kaku as well as others, stated this. What do I not. However, it makes sense to me.
Hurts

Columbia, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2011

Hurts wrote:
<quoted text>
No, no, no. It is not nuts. Please look it up for yourself. Michio Kaku as well as others, stated this. What do I not. However, it makes sense to me.
Meant to say: What do I know. However, it makes sense to me.
interested person

Plymouth, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2011

it is estimated that over half of the nuclear fuel rods have been damaged at reactor 1, 30 per cent and 25 per cent of the fuel rods have been damaged in reactor 2 and reactor 3 respectively, and melt down may well have occurred!
Think Again

Eau Claire, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2011

interested person wrote:
it is estimated that over half of the nuclear fuel rods have been damaged at reactor 1, 30 per cent and 25 per cent of the fuel rods have been damaged in reactor 2 and reactor 3 respectively, and melt down may well have occurred!
Also Reactor 1 is emitting neutrons so is going into uncontrolled criticality. Not good, not safe. Also if this ever can be cleaned up it will be decades of these reactors emitting nuclear fallout, for all of us on this earth. to enjoy!!!
tjostemj

Kendallville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2011

Judged:

The fact that no lives have been lost to radiation in this accident and likely none will be, gives us assurance that nuclear power is truly the safest of all power sources.
Think Again

Eau Claire, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2011

tjostemj wrote:
The fact that no lives have been lost to radiation in this accident and likely none will be, gives us assurance that nuclear power is truly the safest of all power sources.
YOU BETCHA!!!! So it is true about what they say about people from Iowa!!! This "radiation" is actually radio active fallout. Our milk in the U.S. is already contaminated. If you ingest these particles they lodge in your body and cancer, in a number of years, is inevitable.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2011

Judged:

Think Again wrote:
<quoted text>YOU BETCHA!!!! So it is true about what they say about people from Iowa!!! This "radiation" is actually radio active fallout. Our milk in the U.S. is already contaminated. If you ingest these particles they lodge in your body and cancer, in a number of years, is inevitable.
So many things wrong with that post...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Tohoku, Japan Discussions

Search the Tohoku, Japan Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Japan Appoi... May '14 Fukushim Nuclear Fallout 1
RIVERSIDE: Council votes to add sister city in ... Mar '14 sting in the bum 1
Hundreds protest dropped charges over... Mar '14 Dan 5
Japan caught up in energy dilemma Mar '14 try a Moral dilemma 1
ae- aeoe a a Sa aa a -; A trip to Japan (Jan '14) Jan '14 Ainu 1
Japan Tobacco to cut 1,600 jobs (Nov '13) Jan '14 Huffing Side Effects 3
Thyroid cancer rates on the rise in Japanese ch... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Real Truth 1
•••
•••