Japan to give Obama a plan on Okinawa...

Japan to give Obama a plan on Okinawa base - New York Times

There are 35 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Dec 10, 2009, titled Japan to give Obama a plan on Okinawa base - New York Times. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Japan's prime minister, Yukio Hatoyama, said Wednesday that he wanted to present concrete proposals to President Barack Obama next week in hopes of ending a growing rift between his new government and Washington over an American military air base in Okinawa.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Move military back to US

Honolulu, HI

#2 Dec 10, 2009
The U.S. must move all military off of Okinawa. Move them back to the U.S. mainland. There is no reason to keep U.S. military on foreign soil (Korea included). They haven't won any wars after World War II. 8 years in Afganistan and they haven't accomplished anything. The military is just bankrupting the country.
what

Bucharest, Romania

#3 Dec 10, 2009
yeah, do that! even china can't wait no longer.
What What

Honolulu, HI

#4 Dec 10, 2009
what wrote:
yeah, do that! even china can't wait no longer.
What do you mean? You need to express yourself clearer.
what

Bucharest, Romania

#5 Dec 10, 2009
You should look into the history and present day relations of Japan with China and South Korea. As far as I understand, locals from Okinawa are putting pressure on the Japanese Government to relocate the U.S. military base. Politicians must listen to their citizens, but in my opinion it is not in Japan's best interest for the U.S. to retreat its military apparatus and personnel from their territory. By the way, America won the war in Iraq.
Mobetta

Honolulu, HI

#6 Dec 10, 2009
50,000 US troops in Okinawa is over kill.
Reassign these troops to more critical theaters of operations.
My understanding is that a conflict requiring ground troops in Asia is remote considering the nuclear arsenal held by countries in that region.
Further, it's in China's best interest to keep the rogue nations at bay and not to disturb the Chinese economic power and growth.
But heck who knows???
observer

Hilo, HI

#7 Dec 10, 2009
The emphasis should be directed to the Middle East (Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia,Turkey etc.). After 50-60 years, we are still in Korea and Japan. The general populous does not want us there but we stay mainly for our benefit. Both Korea and Japan have a strong military so let them work out their problems with their neighbors. Those who say, "we won the war so we can do what we want" are living in the dark ages. Let's get our priorities straight.
Baloney

Mililani, HI

#8 Dec 10, 2009
what wrote:
You should look into the history and present day relations of Japan with China and South Korea. As far as I understand, locals from Okinawa are putting pressure on the Japanese Government to relocate the U.S. military base. Politicians must listen to their citizens, but in my opinion it is not in Japan's best interest for the U.S. to retreat its military apparatus and personnel from their territory. By the way, America won the war in Iraq.
You don't have any idea what "winning" is! Iraq is a total mess and the war is still ongoing there. When the U.S. leaves, the place will be taken over by another dictator. Back to square one!!
I know you too well

Guangdong, China

#9 Dec 10, 2009
It's time for American Forces to leave Japan. Heck WWII has been over for 64 years !
what

Bucharest, Romania

#11 Dec 11, 2009
yeah! bring those soldiers back home. japan should deal with their own problems
DADDY LAU

AOL

#12 Dec 11, 2009
Obama in 2012!!!!!!!!
Phoebs

Zagreb, Croatia

#13 Dec 11, 2009
moosh

Kailua Kona, HI

#16 Dec 11, 2009
Mobetta wrote:
50,000 US troops in Okinawa is over kill.
Reassign these troops to more critical theaters of operations.
My understanding is that a conflict requiring ground troops in Asia is remote considering the nuclear arsenal held by countries in that region.
Further, it's in China's best interest to keep the rogue nations at bay and not to disturb the Chinese economic power and growth.
But heck who knows???
And what of all those eurasian children born? If they move to Guam, there will only be euroGuamanian children born.
Great Kim

São Paulo, Brazil

#18 Jan 3, 2012
Okinawa must be honest about its intention and stop playing games with US, Japan and China. They hate americans and despise Japanese/Chinese.
Medicare qualifier

Mililani, HI

#19 Jan 3, 2012
I know you too well wrote:
It's time for American Forces to leave Japan. Heck WWII has been over for 64 years !
64 hell I am one of the original baby boomers and I am 65. Lets add another year please.
alice

Kahului, HI

#20 Jan 3, 2012
I am proud of our Obama
DRE

Kihei, HI

#21 Jan 3, 2012
Too bad no hope for DA dope.
Jack Meoff

Lihue, HI

#22 Jan 3, 2012
Bring all our troops out of every foreign country that wants us out, just be sure to cut every dime and all food deliveries at the same time.
alice

Kahului, HI

#23 Jan 3, 2012
no more wars for israeli interests!
Google

Kihei, HI

#24 Jan 3, 2012
Poor thing reject; Google translator leaves a lot untranslated.
Alice

Mililani, HI

#25 Jan 3, 2012
Jack Meoff wrote:
Bring all our troops out of every foreign country that wants us out, just be sure to cut every dime and all food deliveries at the same time.
They will just go buy FS stamps from drug addicts like you hon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kanto, Japan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News South Korea bristles at Japan's honors for the ... Aug 17 Strong Wakamoto 3
News Front-runner to lead Japanese opposition says P... Aug 17 Strong Wakamoto 1
News Japan PM Abe sends ritual offering to Yasukuni ... Aug 16 Strong Wakamoto 2
News Sharp shares up more than 10 percent after Foxc... Aug 16 Strong Wakamoto 2
News UPDATE 1-Japan's economy stalls in April-June, ... Aug 16 Strong Wakamoto 2
News Japan central bank adds stimulus, cites global ... Aug 15 ANUSPIGEUROPDAEGU... 5
News Japan protests China's vessels around disputed ... Aug 15 Russian Ainu 4
More from around the web