Frozen apple pie is a Big Island favo...

Frozen apple pie is a Big Island favorite

There are 40 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Feb 27, 2008, titled Frozen apple pie is a Big Island favorite. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

KAPAAU, Big Island It's a simple pie of apples, sugar and cinnamon, frozen so you have to bake it yourself.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
soozQ

Hilo, HI

#22 Feb 27, 2008
Oh,how I remember those wonderful pies at the Manoa Bakery! YUM!
I hope they will find other stores to sell their pies!
So happy that it's a family affair and with minimal modern machinery! No wonder the pies are so ONO!!! All that TLC!
Misses the past

Lihue, HI

#23 Feb 27, 2008
These pies are awesome! I miss not having them in Manoa but I wish the Hori Family continued success. It is nice to have a place to get ono omiyage. It is also refreshing to see Mr. Mullen carry on the tradition. It is hard work but the younger generation keeps on a wonderful tradition.
Glenn

Pleasant Hill, CA

#24 Feb 27, 2008
In answer to the question from My 2 Cents, the Honokaa Bakery was run by the late Mr. Tokuo Hori, and Harry Hori. They were Yoshio's sons
Kea

Redmond, WA

#25 Feb 27, 2008
All the children are getting up there in age. Is the grandson in line to take over the family business? Would be shame if the bakery closed because no one wanted to take over.
From Kohala

Bismarck, ND

#26 Feb 27, 2008
Being a classmate of a Hori, we always birthday cake on his birthday in school. Sheet cake is common here and NOW but not then (a LONG time ago).

Best wishes to the Hori's!!!!!
family guy

Kailua Kona, HI

#27 Feb 27, 2008
My 2 Cents wrote:
What a great article! I wonder if one of Hori's sons was the owner of the Honokaa Bakery when it was operating because their anpan was the best! I recall that their family name was also Hori.
Star Market, here I come too! I had forgotten that they carried the frozen pies in their inventory.
yes, honokaa bakery was first operated by Tokuo and Grace Hori, later Harry and Ellen Hori assumed the busines.
family guy

Kailua Kona, HI

#28 Feb 27, 2008
next time try the pie hot with a slice of american cheese, my dads favorite
Hori Ohana

Ewa Beach, HI

#29 Feb 27, 2008
Yes, Honoka'a Bakery was owned by 2 of the Hori brothers. Harry who is pictured in this story and Tokuo.
My 2 Cents wrote:
What a great article! I wonder if one of Hori's sons was the owner of the Honokaa Bakery when it was operating because their anpan was the best! I recall that their family name was also Hori.
Star Market, here I come too! I had forgotten that they carried the frozen pies in their inventory.
yikes

San Diego, CA

#30 Feb 27, 2008
Lea wrote:
I have asked HSB to print my story on What Ever Happened To... Thank you for this. I am in the mainland and have flown to Hawaii to pick up all my Hawaiian goodies, this pie is one of them. Will you ship to the mainland? I don't like apple pies but Holy is the ONLY one I'll eat. Please tell me you ship to California.
Better than Julian apple pie up in the San Diego mtn's??
Kris3378

Kapolei, HI

#31 Feb 27, 2008
I LOVE Holy Bakery's apple and pear pies. So delicious and I'm sad that Times dropped the product. I'm glad I know now that I can buy it at Star Market vs. going to the Big Island to pick up the pies.
yikes

San Diego, CA

#32 Feb 27, 2008
kaneohe wrote:
My son and family flying in tonight from Kona.
I like! Can you drive to Mira Mesa? ;)
Peachpiewoman

Honolulu, HI

#33 Feb 27, 2008
I am sooooo glad they carry it at Star Market Mililani. I love the peach and apple pies. They are simply the best in the world and no wonder they are ONO........ all hand put together...... jes like small kid time....... Hori family..... WE LOVE YOU AND YOUR PIES...... Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!!!

Since: Feb 08

Honolulu, HI

#34 Feb 28, 2008
family guy wrote:
<quoted text>yes, honokaa bakery was first operated by Tokuo and Grace Hori, later Harry and Ellen Hori assumed the busines.
I posted the question as My 2 Cents, but decided to officially register... so am now "ETA136".

Thank you for confirming what I thought. I remember everything the Honoka'a Bakery made. Their bread was great when freshly baked. The little pies-- custard, pumpkin, coconut-- what memories!
Paul Carrubba

Vernalis, CA

#35 Feb 28, 2008
Whenever I made the trip from my mainland home it HAD to include a stop at Holy's Bakery. The apple pie was wonderful, but no pie was ever better that Holy's Passion-Pear.
It was worth the trip, and the long line wait.
Lea

San Diego, CA

#36 Feb 28, 2008
Did anyone find out if they ship to the mainland?
Lea

San Diego, CA

#37 Feb 28, 2008
yikes wrote:
<quoted text>
Better than Julian apple pie up in the San Diego mtn's??
Julian apple pies suck compared to a Holy's. Trust me on this one.
Lea

San Diego, CA

#38 Feb 28, 2008
yikes wrote:
<quoted text>
I like! Can you drive to Mira Mesa? ;)
For a Holy's apple! You bet! Just tell me when and where.
yikes

San Diego, CA

#39 Feb 28, 2008
Lea wrote:
<quoted text>
For a Holy's apple! You bet! Just tell me when and where.
OK, now I will have to test this out for myself. Please let me know where I can find this in SD if anyone knows.
Lea

United States

#40 Feb 29, 2008
I'M IN LOVE WITH HOLY'S APPLE PIES!!!!!
Paul

Kaneohe, HI

#41 Feb 29, 2008
Holy's Butter Crust Apple Pie is my favorite. Star Market at Kamehameha Shopping Center sells them for $14.99!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hiroshima, Japan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hiroshima Music Thread (Oct '13) Aug 21 Musikologist 8
News Sako's, the Best BLT in the World (Jun '10) Aug 18 Kevin 31
News Obama to make historic visit to Hiroshima May '16 Whatever 1
US Thugs (May '15) Aug '15 dGo mDenda lyHo i... 3
News Hiroshima still a powerful reminder of the horr... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Deutschi Deutschmann 2
News Changwon City Offers Student Exchange Program (Aug '14) Nov '14 Switches 206
News Weird NJ: The Double Trouble mystery spotWeird ... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Simply_Red 1
More from around the web