Frozen apple pie is a Big Island favo...

Frozen apple pie is a Big Island favorite

There are 40 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Feb 27, 2008, titled Frozen apple pie is a Big Island favorite. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

KAPAAU, Big Island It's a simple pie of apples, sugar and cinnamon, frozen so you have to bake it yourself.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Keonaona

Honolulu, HI

#1 Feb 27, 2008
Simply the best!
HolyPieFan

United States

#2 Feb 27, 2008
I loved it when I could go to a Times Supermarket and pick up an apple pie. Now, the only way I can get it is to go to the Big Island. I read in the article that they ship and pack to Oahu, is that currently? Getting my hopes up for that ono-liscious Apple PIE!! Do they take phone orders?
lavajavadude

San Diego, CA

#3 Feb 27, 2008
Ono!!! Their pies have been my favorite since small kid time!
lapacatang

Ewa Beach, HI

#5 Feb 27, 2008
its well worth a special trip for, it seems like KTA Keauhou always sold out, nothing better then driving from Kona to Kapaau for a fresh/frozen apple pie...
OahuFan

Honolulu, HI

#6 Feb 27, 2008
What a coincidence! I was just telling someone last week that the BEST apple pie ever was from Holy Bakery. When Times stopped carrying it, I thought that the bakery had gone out of business. I guess I'll be taking that long trek to Star Market!
Just me

Cincinnati, OH

#7 Feb 27, 2008
How funny to see this article. My boyfriend's bother-in-law was just telling me this passed weekend how ono Holy's apple pie is. I've never heard of it until now. He said to bake it for 1 hour then throw some vanilla ice cream on it -- BROKE DA MOUT'! I need to get me some for this weekend! He said it is the BEST!! STAR MARKET HERE I COME!!
Aileron

Honolulu, HI

#8 Feb 27, 2008
Star Market sells it on Oahu? Anyone else? I haven't had a Holy Bakery pear pie in 20 years!!!!!!!!!
My 2 Cents

Honolulu, HI

#9 Feb 27, 2008
What a great article! I wonder if one of Hori's sons was the owner of the Honokaa Bakery when it was operating because their anpan was the best! I recall that their family name was also Hori.

Star Market, here I come too! I had forgotten that they carried the frozen pies in their inventory.
Derrick

United States

#10 Feb 27, 2008
I grew up here never knowing about Holy's Apple Pies until my wife mentioned that her family ate them occasionally for dessert growing up. When I saw it at Star in Mililani, I picked one up and took it home. My wife was thrilled to see it and it was ono! It is expensive(around $15) but well worth it.
luvsit

Honolulu, HI

#11 Feb 27, 2008
This apple pie is da bes.
broke da mout !!!!!
Mele

Honolulu, HI

#12 Feb 27, 2008
I've eaten many pies, from many different bakeries in Hawaii and on the mainland. The Holy pies are the best and most 'ono' that our families have ever eaten. It's all about the crust! Flakey and buttery. Who cares about the price of these pies - it's worth it! Each time I go to any supermarket, at any given time (here on the Big Isle), these pies are either sold out, or not in stock. Gotta go early in the morning, or call the grocery store regarding delivery days and times.
Mele

Honolulu, HI

#13 Feb 27, 2008
Aileron wrote:
Star Market sells it on Oahu? Anyone else? I haven't had a Holy Bakery pear pie in 20 years!!!!!!!!!
You might have to make a special trip to the Big Isle. I just saw approximately 25 boxes of the Pear pie in the frozen section of KTA Puainako Store just a few days ago. The pear, and apple pies are always plentiful. It's the Peach and Coconut frozen pies that always sell out.
Kalani

Honolulu, HI

#14 Feb 27, 2008
Derrick wrote:
I grew up here never knowing about Holy's Apple Pies until my wife mentioned that her family ate them occasionally for dessert growing up. When I saw it at Star in Mililani, I picked one up and took it home. My wife was thrilled to see it and it was ono! It is expensive(around $15) but well worth it.
The pies are sold here in Hilo (Big Isle) for approx.$9.00 Sorry that you had to pay that much for it.
Lea

San Diego, CA

#15 Feb 27, 2008
I have asked HSB to print my story on What Ever Happened To... Thank you for this. I am in the mainland and have flown to Hawaii to pick up all my Hawaiian goodies, this pie is one of them. Will you ship to the mainland? I don't like apple pies but Holy is the ONLY one I'll eat. Please tell me you ship to California.
Warrior

Honolulu, HI

#16 Feb 27, 2008
Holy's is the best pies that you cook in your own oven @ home, when friends come over zi'd say yes my wife and I made these pies the laught and say Holy's from big Isle. Pear is my favorite w/ vanilla icecream!
Zook

Honolulu, HI

#17 Feb 27, 2008
Man, dat place is hard fo' find! We drove back and forth from Hawi to Pololu several times before asking a pair of cops we happened to see. Luckily, one knew where the bakery was; the other didn't! And when we got there, we knocked on the bakery door; no answer. The dogs were barking and somebody came out from the house across. They told us next time, if the shop is closed, just come to the house and bang on the door!
Brown Bear

Honolulu, HI

#18 Feb 27, 2008
Ishihara Market in Waimea, Kauai has them too! Holy's Pie ala mode no ka best!
YUMMY

Marina Del Rey, CA

#19 Feb 27, 2008
I love their pies. I'll have to visit Kapaau and see the store.
Frank Fasi

Hilo, HI

#20 Feb 27, 2008
Holy Bakery pies is da bombdiggz!!! Sell that bugguh for fundraising and garanz ballbaranz make money.

Their pumpkin pie is da best!
kaneohe

United States

#21 Feb 27, 2008
My son and family flying in tonight from Kona. Just read the article and asked him to bring 2 apple pies, but watch out star market!!! you will be flocked with people that loves it and never had them. I know of one star in Kalihi shopping center none in Kaneohe. God bless the Hori family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hiroshima, Japan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obama to make historic visit to Hiroshima May 27 Whatever 1
US Thugs (May '15) May '16 Boots on the Grou... 4
Hiroshima Music Thread (Oct '13) Nov '15 Musikologist 7
News Sako's, the Best BLT in the World (Jun '10) Jan '15 Martin garey 30
News Hiroshima still a powerful reminder of the horr... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Deutschi Deutschmann 2
News Changwon City Offers Student Exchange Program (Aug '14) Nov '14 Switches 206
News Weird NJ: The Double Trouble mystery spotWeird ... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Simply_Red 1
More from around the web