Tattoo artists question proposed state regulations

May 10, 2009 Read more: TwinCities.com 116
This text is replaced by the Flash movie. On a shelf in his Arcade Street tattoo shop, Don Nolan keeps a folder of all the tattoos he's given to St. Read more
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Since: Apr 08

Twin Cities

#110 May 11, 2009
WTF wrote:
On the pictures, he does he not practice proper cross-contamination by putting a bag on the machine and cord. You can't tell me that he takes his machine apart and cleans it thoroughly after every tattoo. I have a hard time letting pictures like this represent us as a tattoo community as a whole. Get you machines bagged Nolan!
What the photo isn't able to show you is that each machine IS autoclaved between uses (they have more than one per artist, dear). When the artists aren't busy with a client, they are busy cleaning equipment.

Now, about that practice of bagging the machine and cord, I hope that *your* shop doesn't do that rather than use a clean machine for each use!

Zen

Since: May 09

Minneapolis, MN

#111 May 11, 2009
He autoclaves the coils? The A-bar? The springs? Really? What about rust? Hmmm.. That's clean! As far as "my" shop, yes, we bag our machines AND clean them after use, however it is impossible to clean every corner of the machine, hence the bags. Double assurance.

Twin Cities

#112 May 11, 2009
InnerCircle wrote:
He autoclaves the coils? The A-bar? The springs? Really? What about rust? Hmmm.. That's clean! As far as "my" shop, yes, we bag our machines AND clean them after use, however it is impossible to clean every corner of the machine, hence the bags. Double assurance.
You got me there! Where's your shop? I'm impressed with your dual measures and wish you luck in your business. You've got a captive audience here, if you wanted to take advantage of the free advertising.

Zen
Mengele

Minneapolis, MN

#113 May 11, 2009
Minnesota Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
They are all beautiful. A portrait of my mom who passed away in 1976 when I was 3, an eagle, etc. Sorry no tramp stamp, barbed wire or ones that have lost their shape.
So when you go to church, all four are in view?
JD_MN

United States

#114 May 11, 2009
wow,just another way of the goverment,trying to regulate and controll everything,kind of like window tint,being a violation,and one that they can pull you over for....yet seat belts is a secondary offense.....MN law makers are touched in the heads
self reliant

Saint Paul, MN

#115 May 11, 2009
Here is my thought. Do we have the resources to worry about regulating an activity that is not a necessity. I will be outraged if the State of Minnesota spends one dollar to regulate an industry the public is not complaining about and then cuts funding for the elderly/vulnerable adults/children. Government is meant to protect those people who cannot protect themselves everybody else do some research. You want a tattoo interview the shop/artist before you spend your money there. When did people stop taking personal responsibility??
evansby

Atlanta, GA

#116 May 11, 2009
Hey did someone go and mention outlawing NASCAR tats? Down here that's a good way to get yerself in for an old-fashioned whippin. Many of my brothers (and some sisters) have NASCAR tats that we wear with pride. And we don't have some government bureaucrat tellin us no differnt!

“it takes a lot to laugh...”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#117 May 11, 2009
Typical Minnesota politicians approach to anything. Create a problem where there is no problem.

“it takes a lot to laugh...”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#118 May 11, 2009
I am surprised that Phyllis Kahn was not the author of this proposal. She has built her career on meaningless bills that keep her name in the news.
p t bull

Minneapolis, MN

#119 May 11, 2009
Roughrider50 wrote:
Didn't George Orwell write something about this kind of crap happening. The chickens are coming home to roost for the euphorians. This is the result of a cradle-to-grave nanny state.

Big brother is indeed upon us. And the sheeple passively surrender their freedom...
CALRAYE

Saint Paul, MN

#120 May 11, 2009
WTF wrote:
On the pictures, he does he not practice proper cross-contamination by putting a bag on the machine and cord. You can't tell me that he takes his machine apart and cleans it thoroughly after every tattoo. I have a hard time letting pictures like this represent us as a tattoo community as a whole. Get you machines bagged Nolan!
Well its quite clear you have never been to Nolans shop, because he does indeed take his machine apart and clean it every time. Cleaned, and gone over with a UV light that is OSHA and CDC approved....... But Im sure you and your plastic baggie already knew that, you are quite and expert huh?
Bob

Rosemount, MN

#122 May 11, 2009
What is really scary is that an article on a subject such as this elicits so many comments!
freeperson

United States

#123 May 11, 2009
Bob wrote:
What is really scary is that an article on a subject such as this elicits so many comments!
Right you are, Bob. Can't believe I read them all. This is stupid 'regulation'. People have been tattood for thousands of years. Any record of how many died? From the tattoos, that is?
In the 70s we bought sandwiches from students on the bridge... swiss cheese, sprouts, homemade mustard, etc., or maybe peanut butter and jam/jelly. They were really good. The U quickly passed a law that all food sold had to be prepared in this certain kind of kitchen (which noone could afford). Some U food made folks sick. The students' food never did.
be real

South Saint Paul, MN

#124 May 11, 2009
I attend a Christian Church where my pastor has a tat on his upper back and where's it proudly! I love tats and my church....:)

Saint Paul, MN

#125 May 12, 2009
Mengele wrote:
<quoted text>
So when you go to church, all four are in view?
If I wear a dress instead of dress pants then the one on my leg shows. I have one on each arm and one on my back. They are all in visible places.
Your Name Here

Saint Paul, MN

#126 Jun 15, 2009
Enough said. I'm going to get one today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Campania, Italy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obama a hit among Italian nativity scenes (Dec '08) 15 min swedenforever 6
News Expert Tips for the Right and Wrong Ways to Che... Apr 14 Vib_Ram 1
News Anthony V. Saviano (Feb '11) Oct '14 nsaviano 11
News 'Real Housewives of NJ' star Joe Giudice's fath... (Jun '14) Jun '14 tool 1
News Italy's 'The Great Beauty' wins best foreign la... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Nicknat 1
News In Naples DNA Tests Link Dog a Wastea to Owners (Mar '14) Mar '14 Go Blue Forever 1
News The Chief of the Defence Staff Announces Senior... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Jim 1
More from around the web